Start by marking “The Dead Zone” as Want to Read:
The Dead Zone

The Dead Zone

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  115,330 ratings  ·  1,520 reviews
John Smith awakes from a coma to find his life in ruins. He also finds that he can see the future - a power he doesn't want but can't escape. He is branded a freak and his warnings of danger are seen as ravings, and when he shakes a psychopathic politician's hand he foresees unimaginable horror.
Leather Bound, 426 pages
Published 1993 by Easton Press (first published August 1979)

Dan Schwent
Johnny Smith wakes from a coma with the psychic ability to read a person when he touches them. Will he use this ability for good or for selfish reasons? And what's the deal with this Greg Stillson character that's swiftly becoming a heavy hitter in the political realm?

Sometime in early 2013, I resolved to read some of the Stephen King books I missed during my binge around the turn of the century. Along with The Shining and It, the Dead Zone is something I'm surprised I hadn't read years ago.

The
Nandakishore Varma
In my own personal opinion, this is the best story Stephen King has ever written. Not the most frightening, not the most thrilling, no: but this novel has true literary merit. And a tragic hero (not a mere "protagonist, mind you) who really qualifies for the title.

John Smith (his name immediately marks him out as the "common man") is blessed and cursed with second sight. It began as a minor ability due to a skating accident in his childhood; but when he wins big time at the roulette wheel in a v
Kathryn
What comes from knowing things? Nothing. What is the purpose of knowing the future? So you can change it? But wouldn't what you knew about the future and the change you were going to bring to the future, be the way it was supposed to be anyways? Just think about it...

I think in the case of Johnny Smith and The Dead Zone , I would have to say what happened to Johnny and the events surrounding him, happened for a reason.

This is not a horror novel, in my opinion. This is more of a sci-fi novel do
Paul Nelson
Next up on my Stephen King quest is The Dead Zone, again it’s not a review as such but a collection of my thoughts on the book. So there may well be spoilers but I think pretty much everyone has read it a long time ago anyway, all except me.

After reading The Stand & Salem’s Lot in quick succession, you start to appreciate what a spellbinding storyteller The King can be and I can compare these to the other end of the spectrum, his newly released material, Mr Mercedes & Doctor Sleep. The o
Delee
THE DEAD ZONE was my very first Stephen King book, and I would like to thank David Cronenberg, Christopher Walken, and one of my high school best friends- Natalie Kowalski- for introducing me to the world of John Smith, and in turn the world of Stephen King.

photo 7944f53f-01da-402e-bfc1-0d0e2bc6f0d4_zpsec2f5fa1.jpg

After watching and falling for the character John Smith- in the 1983 movie THE DEAD ZONE, I decided to search out the book that it was based on. I had never heard of Stephen King- I had read a lot of mysteries, but had never read a horror nov
Edward Lorn
Nov 17, 2014 Edward Lorn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: King fans and fans of politics
For Goodreads: 2.5 stars.

I think I dislike this book a little more every time I read it. The Dead Zone is, for the most part, boring setups that lead to lackluster climaxes, if they can be called climaxes at all. Maybe "payoffs" would be a better word... But I think what I dislike the most about this book is all the political mumbo jumbo. I simply don't give a shit about politics, and this book is full of it. If Johnny Smith isn't thinking about how shitty he has it, he's ruminating on the polit
Daniel
Three-fourths into this book, I realized that the slow burn that King tended was turning into something much fiercer; after reading the final paragraph, I was struck with a keen sense of melancholy and loss. In brief, this is a story about a man who is struck with a tragic circumstance, and how he deals with it. A sketch of the social and political situation in America circa the mid-1970's runs, at first, parallel to this account; later, it all intertwines with the kind of neatness that one find ...more
Ashley
I decided like, I don’t know, six months ago? that I was going to read ALL THE STEPHEN KING, so I was eventually going to read this book (and all his others) no matter what. Deciding which books to read first was the main thing. I decided to read this one first (and Misery and The Stand, come to think of it) because I read his On Writing back in November, and he talks about the process of writing all three of them. The way he talked about them made me want to read them more. Anyway, the point of ...more
Franco  Santos
Este es un libro que me atrapó desde su primera página. Empieza de manera excelente; muy absorbente. Es una historia muy conmovedora, tan es así que la primera mitad del libro es un homenaje a la tristeza, que acrecienta su magnitud con cada hoja que pasás. Me mantuvo al borde las lágrimas en todo momento.

Aunque el nombre no te hace suponer eso, es un libro de drama. No es de terror.

Como aspecto negativo tengo que decir que en algunos momentos se me hizo bastante pesado; en especial en las par
Stefan Yates
For some reason, my recollection of reading this book before was very vague. Therefore, I went into the rereading process without knowing what to expect at all. Boy, was I surprised. After finishing it, I think that The Dead Zone is one of King's best novels.

The character development is superb and I think that Johnny Smith is possibly one of King's best developed characters. We also spend considerable time with his family members and the principle villains and these characters are all strongly d
Stephen
4.0 to 4.5 stars. This was the first Stephen King book that I ever read and after finishing it I immediately went out and bought every Stephen King book that my local book store had in stock. Loved the characters, the story and the exploration of the moral question asked in the novel, "knowing what you know now, if you could go back in time and kill Hitler, would you do it." Great stuff and classic King.
Tina
I know almost every person on this planet is familiar with the story, but I want to tell you this: Forget about any movie or TV series you've ever seen and get your hands on a copy of The Dead Zone. It's a book that will warm your heart and then rip it apart. A book that will tell you about finding love and losing it because it was just too good to be true; about the shit life has in store for us and the consequences we have to deal with; about getting a great 'power' and accepting the responsib ...more
Ruth Turner

Audiobook - Narrated by Lorelei King.

Lorelei King is one of the few female narrators that I really enjoy. She does an excellent job with Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series and she's really the only reason I continue with a series that is going steadily down the toilet.

However, I found that her voice didn't really fit this book and I'm not sure why. Maybe it would have been better with a male narrator, at least for me. I didn't finish it.

***

Ebook:

I started reading this book with no real expe
Yona
I'm left little speechless and I don't know from where to begin.

I'll write a review a little bit later, I need some book with HEA right now for therapy.

I decided it was time to read a Stephen King's book. I've read The Colorado Kid by Stephen King , but I can't put it in the same place as The Dead Zone or Pet Cemetery or etc
So, I started it, but I didn't know what to except. While I read the first maybe 20- 30% of the book, I was like this description I was waiting for something very scary to happen. But nothing that scary happened,
Eric Althoff
While Stephen King has rightfully garnered a reputation as a horror writer, some of his best fiction revolves around stories of everyday humanity affected by elements of the supernatural. After awakening from a five-year coma, John Smith has come back from the ether with a clairvoyance to see certain futures and hidden pasts of others by touch alone. Opting to use his powers for good, John is called upon for such tasks as helping the police to catch an elusive rapist. But when he shakes hands wi ...more
Checkman
I didn't really know what to expect from this novel. I knew the plot and I had seen the movie with Christopher Walken, but I had postponed reading the novel. A few summers ago I finally decided to give it a try.

The thing that really stood out to me ,and caught me somewhat flatfooted, was the theme of change. Rapid breathtaking change and the fact that it happens whether we like it or not. In this respect I realized this was a very personal aspect that the story was hitting on.

The Dead Zone wa
Manny
As people may have gathered by now from my reviews, I never liked Dubya very much. While he was President, I would often think of The Dead Zone and hope someone would try to shoot him.

I didn't want them to kill him or even cause him any physical damage. I just wished that he'd instinctively grab a nearby kid and attempt to use him as a human shield. Stephen King is right: that would have made people take notice.
Giuseppe
La zona morta
Non vi è mai capitato di non riuscire a ricordarvi qualcosa? Intendo qualcosa che vi è accaduto o che vi è strettamente familiare. Ad esempio, io alla mia festa di laurea c'ho dato dentro non poco e dopo essermi bevuto l'impossibile e fumato l'impensabile, finii (ovviamente) la serata prono sul water con un amico che mi reggevo la testa ed a cui dicevo in ogni lingua conoscevo quanto gli volessi bene (diciamo che dicevo a tutti che gli volevo bene ed in quel momento era anche vero).
Jill
Recently I have been bored by the books available to me, so I have returned to my roots.
Good old Stephen Kind seemed to fit the bill.
I chose The Dead Zone because I used to watch the tv series. It was awesome, so I had quite high expectations.

Needless to say I lost myself in this book. Stephen King has quite a way with building characters, era's. You feel like you know them, you feel like you are there.
Quite a talent.
We are so lucky to have such a wonderful author who has been spinning tales
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Good book.
I kept picturing Christopher Walken while reading it. *Mental note: Don't let anyone coming out of a coma touch you!*
Nicholas Armstrong
This feels very much a precursor to 11/22/63. I won't drag into the details because I guess it isn't relevant to the quality of this book, but it is interesting, as if King couldn't let the idea go and crystallized it in 11/22/63.

Anywho, the problem with this book is mostly that it is out of focus. We are taken on a journey that scampers and leaps across time and characters. I never really felt like I had a strong grasp on any place, person, or thing because the novel leaps from one to the next
Aditya
The dead zone has got to be one of the most criminally under-rated King books of all time.It is rather a psychological or a paranormal thriller than a conventional horror book.It deals with Johny Smith who gets precognition power after a fateful car accident.In spite of sounding cliched i must say this book critically examines the concept of "With great power comes great responsibility" way before Spider-man turned it into a pop culture reference.

This is a dark book & also has an interesting
Thomas Strömquist
Stephen King re-read series #8 (or: Goodbye 70's). Re-reading King's early books has been a very good experience; I would say that they have all met or exceeded my high expectations! Halfway into The Dead Zone I actually thought that this one would be the one where I would have to revise my original rating of it. Unfortunately, this was not the case.

A few of the story-lines feel rushed and a bit too smooth sailing, more (character) background and a bit more complicated series of events would ha
Stephanie
This was a great book!! Must have first read closer to when it came out and I didn't remember -- so got to experience it brand new! Loved the story and the fast-paced writing style of King... Loved the characters and the tension... The Dead Zone... cool concept and so well done!!! Loved the ending.... WOW!
Marvin
I have to say The Dead Zone is my favorite King novel for a rather non-literary reason. Although I have a number of signed books by him, it is the only book in my collection which is personally inscribed to me from Stephen King. I met Mr. King at a book signing. At that point in his life, he was not yet flooded with fans so there was plenty of time to say a few works to him and ask a few questions... and for him to actually add a personal touch in his signings. Oh, for the old times...

As for the
Amy
Ewelina
„Martwa strefa” jest książką, którą niby autor sam bardzo lubi. I nie dziwię mu się. :D Wciągająca, tajemnicza, przyprawiająca o pozytywne ciary lektura, także trafia na listę moich ulubionych. Dziwna atmosfera… jest! Lekko obsesyjno-religijny element … jest! Polskie odniesienie … jest! Pognębieni i sponiewierani przez autora bohaterzy … są! Nic, tylko czytać.
Matt Garcia
Amazing, incredibly heart-wrenching novel. Johnny Smith is such an excellent, relatable character and you can't help but feel empathy over the awful hand he was dealt in life. This "regular guy" manages to do and experience some rather extraordinary things. I loved this novel and found myself cheering for Johnny Smith the entire time. Flawless character development and political intrigue highlight this superb novel from a master of the craft.
Debbi
I'm rereading this -- probably for the fifth time or so -- because it's likely my favorite of all of King's novels. The way he combines plot with characterization is nonpareil. This man is one of the very best contemporary novelists we have.
Amy
What?!? How is it possible that one person can write so many books that are so good?!? This one had a bit of a slow start - I chipped away at it for a few months, but once I got to the halfway point, I couldn't put it down. When the whole mess with Frank Dodd comes to light, and the reader realizes that Johnny may use his psychic abilities for a higher purpose...that's when it really starts to get good. It's a great thriller, but it also raises some really interesting moral questions, too. And K ...more
  • The Bachman Books
  • Mystery
  • Books of Blood : Volume Two (Books of Blood #2)
  • Night Visions 5
  • The Stephen King Companion
  • Punish the Sinners
  • Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Complete Concordance
  • Strangers
  • The Stand: Soul Survivors
  • Haunted (David Ash, #1)
  • The Wolf's Hour
  • Dark Hollow
More about Stephen King...
The Shining (The Shining, #1) The Stand It Misery Carrie

“Some things were better lost than found.” 114 likes
“We all do what we can, and it has to be good enough, and if it isn't good enough, it has to do.” 32 likes