Start by marking “Four Plays by Eugene O'Neill” as Want to Read:
Four Plays by Eugene O'Neill

Four Plays by Eugene O'Neill

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  177 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Contained within this volume are some of the best of O'Neill's early one-act plays, which foreshadowed the longer plays that have given this dramatist his most enduring fame. "Beyond the Horizon" was the first of O'Neill's three Pulitzer Prize-winning plays. It follows the disappointed dreams of two brothers on their family farm. "The Emperor Jones" is an expressionistic t ...more
Published January 1st 2009 by Digireads.com (first published February 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Four Plays by Eugene O'Neill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Plays by Eugene O'Neill

Mike
Feb 12, 2008 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
the emperor jones is all kinds of fucked up. the story is basically about an african-american who has set himself up as emperor of a caribbean island, but the black savage inhabitants of the island are now rebelling, and he must escape through the jungle. jones' dialogue is written in that typical "i sho' is hungee" dialect, yet the play somehow seems to have something to say about what w.e.b. dubois called double consciousness. extremely problematic and therefore extremely interesting.
Melanie
Beyond the Horizon, 4 stars

Albeit sad, I didn't find this play to be as dark and bleak as I had expected.

Indeed there is a love triangle; however, that aspect of the play didn't strike me as the most central.

For me, the play was more about choices and how one deals with and reacts to decisions once they've been made. Does one keep moving forward? Does one become embittered? Does one despise the one who hurt him?

What moved (and surprised) me most was the tenderness the brothers displayed toward
Candice Beever
Jun 23, 2010 Candice Beever rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed all of these plays. They're easy to follow and still relavant today. O'Neill is an amazing playwright. Not surprisingly, two of these plays won him Pulitzers (Beyond the Horizon and Anna Christie). I'd recommend them even if you don't really like reading plays. He uses enough stage direction that it feels like you're reading a novel.
علی
May 12, 2013 علی rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
یوجین اونیل (1953-1888) نمایش نامه نویس آمریکایی برنده ی نوبل، متاثر از تیاتر واقع گرای چخوف و هنریک ایبسن بود. او که سال ها روی کشتی کار کرده بود، در اغلب آثار اولیه اش به زندگی ملاحان و سفرهای دریایی پرداخت. آخرین نمایش نامه های اونیل، بهترین آنها هستند که به نوعی تراژدی شخصیت های نومید مشهور اند.
Sean Endymion
Feb 05, 2012 Sean Endymion rated it liked it
Shelves: plays
Read *The Emperor Jones* and *The Hairy Ape*. Insane amounts of dialect -- more than Twain? Is that possible? Interesting plays, and I can see why O'Neill was hailed as the first great American playwright, but... to me, they simply aren't *entertaining* because of how moralizing they try to be.
Kurt
Jul 23, 2011 Kurt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the Ibsen-like Anna Christie and Beyond the Horizon (depressing, but well-told stories), but the Emperor Jones and Hairy Ape were a little much for me. I found O'Neill's written accents to be distracting to wade through.
Nicole Marino
Aug 16, 2007 Nicole Marino rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would give it a higher rating, but O'Neill's always better on stage, in my opinion.
Eshivey
Mar 26, 2008 Eshivey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
have most of his plays. great playwrite.

Megan Walker
Megan Walker marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Andrea
Andrea added it
Jan 25, 2016
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Ms.Bianca Hutchins
Ms.Bianca Hutchins marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Victor Siboiu
Victor Siboiu marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
john blow
john blow marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Andrea
Andrea added it
Dec 31, 2015
Sheryl
Sheryl rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
James Tinsley
James Tinsley rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Jesse
Jesse rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Alex Gill
Alex Gill rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2015
Israel
Israel rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2015
Mert DAMLAPINAR
Mert DAMLAPINAR marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Randy Reus
Randy Reus rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2015
Praneeth Chanaka
Praneeth Chanaka marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Elenna
Elenna marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Cool
Cool marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Adrian
Adrian rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2015
Sarah Weber
Sarah Weber rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: Please add page number 3 131 Oct 13, 2015 12:55PM
  • Six Plays: The Children's Hour / Days to Come / The Little Foxes / Watch on the Rhine / Another Part of the Forest / The Autumn Garden
  • The Four Major Plays: The Seagull / Uncle Vanya / Three Sisters / Cherry Orchard
  • Tiny Alice
  • The Norton Anthology of American Literature
  • Incident at Vichy
  • Six Plays: Peer Gynt / A Doll's House / Ghosts / The Wild Duck / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder
  • Modern Information Retrieval
  • Büyülü Dağ (Büyülü Dağ, #1)
  • The Scarlet Citadel
  • Three Plays: Exit the King / The Killer / Macbett
  • Five Plays: Antigone, Eurydice, The Ermine, The Rehearsal, Romeo and Jeannette
  • XML in a Nutshell
  • Dutchman & The Slave
  • Kaspar and Other Plays
  • The Best of McSweeney's, Vol. 2
  • Waiting for Lefty and Other Plays
  • Four Plays: Summer and Smoke / Orpheus Descending / Suddenly Last Summer / Period of Adjustment
  • Three Plays: Gruesome Playground Injuries / Animals Out of Paper / Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo
Eugene Gladstone O'Neill was an American playwright who won the 1936 Nobel Prize in Literature "for the power, honesty and deep-felt emotions of his dramatic works, which embody an original concept of tragedy." More than any other dramatist, O'Neill introduced American drama to the dramatic realism pioneered by Russian playwright Anton Chekhov, Norwegian playwright Henrik Ibsen, and Swedish playwr ...more
More about Eugene O'Neill...

“For de small stealing dey puts you in jail, soon or late. But for de big stealing dey puts yo' picture in de paper and yo' statue in de Hall of Fame when you croaks! If dey's one thing I learned in ten years, listenin' to de white quality on de Pullman cars, it's dat same fact. And when I gets a chance to use it -- from stowaway to Emperor in two years. Dat's goin' some!” 1 likes