Kurt Cobain

Kurt Cobain

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  721 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Here is the first biography to explore, with shocking detail, the drama that formed this troubled, tragic rock star. Neither an apology nor a condemnation, Kurt Cobain presents a vivid insider's view of the life and death of a man who galvanized a generation and gave birth to the "grunge" revolution with his band Nirvana. Sandford portrays the provocative, small-town rebel...more
Published March 10th 2004 by Da Capo Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Kurt Cobain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kurt Cobain

No One Here Gets Out Alive by Danny SugarmanThe Dirt by Tommy LeeThe Heroin Diaries by Nikki SixxScar Tissue by Anthony KiedisThe Long Hard Road Out of Hell by Marilyn Manson
Best Books on Rock and Roll
90th out of 432 books — 738 voters
Black Hawk Down by Mark BowdenManhunt by Peter L. BergenQuiet by Susan CainAlive by Piers Paul ReadLone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell
Best Nonfiction Books (any genre)
26th out of 26 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Jamie Tirion
The description of Kurt Cobain in this book is absolute bullshit. Read this text by Jack Endino, who recorded with Kurt loads of times:

recently someone sent me a photocopy of just two (!) pages (106 and 107) from Chris Sandford’s book on Nirvana, entitled “Kurt Cobain”. In it he describes the sessions for Bleach from the point of view of “Endino’s engineer” and even an unnamed “second source at Reciprocal”; he describes Kurt putting lit matches in his mouth, spraying antiperspirant down his thro...more
Rob
Aug 07, 2008 Rob rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: music
makes albert goldman look like james boswell. this is a shit biography that goes the extra mile - not only is it bad biography, it's mean-spirited trash. bravo.
Saptashwa
The author should stick to sticking his tiny finger up his ass and smelling it periodically instead of trying to write about greats he has no fuckin' knowledge of!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nicole Green
This book is full of sensationalism. That it was written by a journalist makes sense, considering the state of our media today.

There's some good info about Kurt and his music here--and Nirvana more generally--and that's the only reason I didn't give this book one star.

Very little of the author's claims are backed up by actual facts. Most of the info is hearsay from (most likely) disgruntled people. And it's pretty easy to say whatever you want about a dead guy. After all, who's going to contradi...more
Will
This book is nothing short of a character assassination on Cobain written by a tired journalist looking to make a buck. Sources who knew Cobain such as Jack Endino have ratified it's about 90% fiction, and you would be doing a disservice to both yourself, and Cobain's memory by reading it.

From the second or third chapter in where Sandford starts implying if Cobain hadn't become a rock star he would have been a serial killer I realised how full of sh*t this author is. The sensationalism defies b...more
Travis Wooster
My book was about Nirvana’s lead singer Kurt Cobain. I chose this book because
I had researched him a little bit before and he was a very interesting person during his 27 years on earth. The book was absolutely worth reading, but I hope you have plenty of time because it is impossible to put down. I would recommend this book to every, more specifically those who like Nirvana, rock and roll, or even just a good mystery type novel. A thing I really liked about this book was how it went deeper into...more
Carson hall
The way this book is written, one would think Kurt was Satan himself. The author obviously doesn't like Kurt and wants to twist his life and his actions around to make him look like an egotistical fool.

I don't know what is true in here and what isn't, but much of it goes against everything I have seen about Kurt since I have been interested in him.

There are also certain events portrayed where I believe the author completely misunderstood Kurts intentions.
Chris
I learned a lot about Cobain from this book (assuming the author wasn't paid by Courtney Love to drag Kurt's name through the mud). If this really is a true account of Cobain's life, it's one of the most shocking biographies I've ever read.
Tifinie
i really love this book because its better then all the other books about Kurt Cobain. it gives you full life story of his and the band mates life and the fame of nirvana. also the pictures are great of him and the band.
Tam
Great insight to kurts life. Although they may not all be 100%accurate, you can glimpse his dark side that took him over the edge.
Charles
propaganda shet.
Hunger For Knowledge
This is one of those rare books I will not rate. To rate this, I would need to know more about Kurt Cobain, and I don't know a shit about him. Sure, I have listened his music and am that way familiar with Nirvana, but it never was my cup of coffee.

This is the most disturbing biography I have read, for many reasons.

I have never read a biography that paints so bad picture about a person than Christopher Sandford's does. Kurt Cobain would be a horrible, horrible person. Close to evil himself if not...more
Vikash (Othersideofsmoke.blogspot.in)

GRUDGE IS DEAD.

There is a picture in this book, ‘Kurt Cobain’, where Nirvana’s Lead man Kurt Cobain is seen sporting a T-shirt with a caption “Grunge Is Dead”, because the “Father of Grunge” had it on before his inevitable death, Christopher Sandford, the author, says it was premature(like his child he is holding in the picture). I think it was Kurt Cobain’s presentiment, or was it?
I had an intuition about it like the one Kurt had after so much of drugs, sex, violence and Grunge and grudge in hi...more
Terri
Sandfort mette a nudo Kurt Cobain, leader della rock band Nirvana, pionieri insieme ai Pearl Jam del movimento grunge e della scena di Seattle.

Il lato umano di Kurt Cobain emerge e sboccia come un fiore nel deserto. La lotta contra la società, il divorzio dei genitori che l'ha segnato in profondità, la voglia di emergere dal gruppo, di scrivere e suonare fino all'asfissiante successo che gli ha prosciugato l'anima e la creatività.

In una spirale sempre più stretta, Kurt si trova intrappolato in u...more
Hanna
Joitakin lukijoita on ilmeisesti melkolailla harmittanut kirjan kriittisyys päähenkilöään kohtaan, mutta mielestäni ei kirjailija ei vetänyt asiassa yli. Hän vaikutti vain sanovan suoraan kaiken sen mitä muut hymistelevät, eikä ollut suoranaisesti vihamielinen ja ainakin omasta mielestäni osasi antaa Cobainille kunniaa niissä tilanteissa, joissa kunniaa kuului.

Kirjailija osasi ottaa yhden napakan askeleen taaksepäin ja tarkastella tilannetta (mitä ilmeisemmin) ilman fanituksen luomaa tunnesidet...more
Gary Cannon
If you are a fan of Cobain or Nirvana I would not recommend this book. If half of what's in this bio is true (and I don't doubt the author) then Cobain may just have been the biggest narcissitic pychopath I have ever heard of....using and discarding friends, beating a child unconcious over a pizza, etc. I've read bios of serial killers that are more sympathetic.
Gem
Brilliant book describing the life of Kurt cobain and the Seattle music scene. Kurt Cobain is one of my all time favourite musicians from the world class band Nirvana.
Mathew O'keefe
Reasonable read. Not ground breaking. If you liked Kurt, you'll like the book.
Helen
Did not like the authors style of writing. Didn't like the comparisons to jimi Hendrix.
Cole
My least favorite biography on Kurt Cobain's life. I read this a long time ago, back when I was in Jr. High, but if I remember correctly it was pretty sensational.
Mayra Melchor
This book had alot of intresting things that were shocking. i really liked how it had different point of views and had the different theories about how he died.
Helen
loved this book, kurt is a true tortured genius. his story is sad but the music he created helped me through my teenage years. he is missed.
Madonna Analla
Great book but really sad. It made me understand the turmoil he was constantly in. His death made sense after I read the book.
Jim Hull
Sep 18, 2007 Jim Hull rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any nirvana fan
one of my favorite artist. His music meant a lot to me back when I was going through some very tough periods in my life.
Jill Clemens
Very random, skips around and very repetitive. Don't know if I will finish it, as I already know how it ends.
Katie
Sensationalist, covers more rumours than anything else. Still, it is unauthorised so guess that says it all...
Deanna
It was disturbing (not the author's fault, I'm sure), and I haven't read it again since that first time.
Dustin Lucas
I like the music he had it was good stuff from a guy that hated life and everything that had to do with it.
Lenae
Has more to do with the business side of Kurt Cobain's band Nirvana and about their rise to fame.
Yuvraj Sharma
Well written but inconclusive and to a point demeaning to Cobain's legacy .
  • Who Killed Kurt Cobain?: The Mysterious Death of an Icon
  • Come As You Are: The Story of Nirvana
  • Punainen erokirja
  • Bumping Into Geniuses: My Life Inside the Rock and Roll Business
  • Old Gods Almost Dead: The 40-Year Odyssey of the Rolling Stones
Christopher Sandford has published acclaimed biographies of Kurt Cobain, Steve McQueen, Mick Jagger, David Bowie, Keith Richards, Paul McCartney, and Roman Polanski. He has worked as a film and music writer and reviewer for over 20 years and frequently contributes to newspapers and magazines on both sides of the Atlantic. Rolling Stone has called him "the preeminent author in his field today."

His...more
More about Christopher Sandford...
Bowie: Loving The Alien Imran Khan Masters of Mystery: The Strange Friendship of Arthur Conan Doyle and Harry Houdini Polanski Keith Richards: The Biography