Start by marking “Life Blood” as Want to Read:
Life Blood

Life Blood

In "Life Blood", Thomas Hoover brings together impressive storytelling skills with fascinating, authentic medical detail and more than enough suspense to keep readers poised on the edge of their seats. Like Tess Gerritsen's In Their Footsteps, Michael Palmer's The Patient, and Nelson DeMille's Plum Island, this thriller from an exciting new voice promises to shoot straight ...more
Published December 1st 2000 by Pinnacle (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Life Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life Blood

DarthGonzo
May 27, 2011 DarthGonzo rated it liked it
Got this free for my amazon kindle. It started well and drew my in with the storyline and mix of characters. It seemed to fall away for me around three quarters of the way through. Whilst I appreciate it's fiction it just started to get silly in terms of our heroine seemingly being able to do anything despite what odds were against her. I found myself reading the last few chapters quick to try and finish the book and move on. Shame. Cant complain for free though.
Patricia Wedertz
May 24, 2017 Patricia Wedertz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Multifaceted

Goes in more than one direction... You think you are following one person, then a new person is added. Then you find out the plot includes both of them
Dale Ibitz
Jan 16, 2012 Dale Ibitz rated it liked it
Morgan Smyth James is a 38 year-old movie-maker who wants one thing: a baby. The problem is, she's invested years, time and money into the baby-making process, yet the cries she hears in the nursery are only in her dreams. So she sets off to make a movie about adoption, whereby she falls into a spiraling whirlpool of deceipt, betrayal, and conspiracy involving smarmy doctors and foreign military thugs.

I liked the charachter, Morgan, and though he doesn't play a largely active role in the book, I
Kristin
Mar 31, 2014 Kristin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, ebooks
I read another of Hoover's ebooks, 'Syndrome', a while ago and really liked it, so when I saw this one available, I was eager to check it out. Unfortunately, it didn't hold my interest like 'Syndrome' and as I worked towards finishing it the last couple days, I realized I really didn't care how it ended.
In the story, Morgan is a filmmaker trying to balance work on what may be her feature film debut with the heartbreak of being unable to conceive with her longtime boyfriend, who consequently deci
Howard
Feb 20, 2012 Howard rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
In a word awful. I only managed to get around 20% through this book which is pretty poor. It was incredibly annoying to read. Thomas Hoover I can only assume is a man yet he has chosen to write a female character for his lead and do it in the first person. excellent if you can get into the psyche of the character and make the reader believe she is a real person. Unfortunately 'she' just comes across as a man writing a female character by the numbers, not only that but the way she speaks and thin ...more
Karen
Jul 10, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
I read this on my Kindle. It's not the easiest to read as SO many words are hyphenated in error and I found this so infuriating. Also the Chapter number was at the bottom of some pages with the chapter beginning on next page, whole book badly edited for e-reading.

I love medical thrillers. But... This wasn't the best by a long shot.
Morgy a film producer wants to get pregnant and hears about Children of Light, where a woman looking to adopt can have a baby within a couple of months for the sum o
J.D. Hughes
Apr 14, 2012 J.D. Hughes rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
I rather enjoyed this novel. The central character was believable and the references to documentary filmaking accurate (I was a doc maker). Secondary characters were less well dealt with, but the mad doctor antagonist was sufficiently greedy and insane, without being a stereotype, to maintain interest in the conflict. Dialogue was good. The premise - without spoiling the plot - was topical, interesting and well defined: I was left in no doubt what was happening although the twists were fairly ea ...more
May 14, 2014 more rated it liked it
I decided to read this book because I like medical thrillers. While, I enjoyed the book a bit, a lots of the events in the book are just impossible. Morgy also kept making such stupid decisions.

Like really??? Ya'll don't know how 3rd world countries work? You're going to be Rambo and go by yourself without really informing anyone in the states about your "mission" to Guatemala?

Who invites their SO to a place surrounded by military forces. This book was so unrealistic. If you can get past that, i
Adrienne Campbell
Jun 09, 2011 Adrienne Campbell rated it really liked it
A great freebie for my Nook!

Thomas Hoover's novel about the difficulties of pregnancy leading to desperate procedures. Enter the alternative medicine pregnancy guru who claims he can perform a miracle if you will only participate in his "program" located in the jungles of Guatamala. Otherwise he will provide you with a beautiful baby to adopt (nevermind they all look alike) for a mere 60K.

Something about this sounds fishy to a film maker desperate to be a mother and dealing with her own person
Desley (Cat fosterer)
This is about a woman who desperately wants a baby, and is shooting a documentary about adoption. She then stumbles upon a mystery.

In principle, I liked the idea of this story, which is why I persevered, but there are a lot of issues that wouldn't take much to fix (a lot of words like th-is), that really take you away from the story, and did drop it from a 3 star to a 2 star. It also seemed to be very slow in places, with people doing rather odd things.

I would like to give this author another
Lon Casler Bixby
Sep 24, 2015 Lon Casler Bixby rated it did not like it
Ok, I loved the author's other books "The Moghul" and "Caribbee" - Fantastic! And I could not wait to love "Life Blood" as well... But I was greatly disappointed - Greatly! It was certainly not a page-turner - more like a page-skipper. I could not even finish this book and actually had to force myself to read a full quarter of it before deleting it. It seemed like the whole book (well, what I read, anyway) was nothing but long, blah blah blah drawn out pointless and tedious descriptions that i'm ...more
Sara
Jan 19, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-booklist
Summary: Pinnacle 2000 New York filmmaker Morgan James is about to journey straight into the heart of a dark conspiracy, hidden deep in the mist-shrouded Maya rain forest of Central America, where a bizarre human experiment (including a baby factory) comes at a terrible price. In Vitro, Independent Film, Adoption, Fertility, Human Eggs, Guatemala, Peten, Maya, Mayan Pyramid, Vision Serp

Review: I found this book outstanding. It's very long but so good. Morgan, I adored her, and she went through h
Dina
May 20, 2015 Dina rated it liked it
As other reviews have mentioned the book started out pretty slow & didn't get interesting till Chapter 20 or so, but when things got down to it it became fairly fast paced & kept my attention till the last page. It wasn't overly thrilling, but it worked well and was uncomplicated and easy to follow. I got this book as a NOOK freebie so I would say that if you can make it through the slow section & can live with the minor formatting & spelling errors it's a decent read. I did cons ...more
Kristie Scarle
Jan 03, 2012 Kristie Scarle rated it it was ok
Hmm...not sure what to say about this book. I guessed what was happening early on, didn't really like the story, but actually had to keep reading until I finished it late last night.

There was a lot of 'as if' moments, which I wouldn't expect so much unless I was reading chick lit.

Apart from that it still left my pretty uneasy - which is normally the sign of a good book. But maybe it was the subject matter I was uneasy about, rather than the book itself.
Nicole
Jan 21, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: nook, bookfriendme
This started out extremely slow for me because I found the author was trying to provide you with too much plot background. And at the sametime introduce you to too many characters; many of whom really didn't have a main purpose to the storyline. Once you get through the first third of the book the story picks up very quickly. And I could see why this was toted as a "terrifying medical thriller in the bestselling tradition of Michael Crichton and Robin Cook".
Marie
Mar 14, 2011 Marie rated it did not like it
Mystery, started out good.. about woman making a documentary about adoptions who interviews a woman who adopts a blonde blue eyed baby boy in less than 4 months when every other agengy takes a year or longer... the place she adopted from is a "new age" fertility clinic... I was enjoying the read until it described an IVF procedure.. and it was obvious the author DID NOT do his research... anyways, from that point on it was way too predictable.
Ciaran
Mar 15, 2012 Ciaran rated it really liked it
Hoover's Life Blood is like opening your refrigerator will your most exquisite delights inside. With every chapter satisfying all the senses leaving you wanting more, with a shock twist to leave you to re-think your morale's and beliefs. I particularly enjoyed the writing style as it was easy to pick up and hard to put down,
The only criticism I found was over hyphenating words to create new words out of them, but on the hold brilliant
Glenda Breaux
Dec 18, 2011 Glenda Breaux rated it it was ok
This book got interesting at the end, but not enough to make up for how long it took to get there. This story could have been told in at least 100 fewer Nook pages. The characters were also not very cimoelling although the author went overboard trying to build sone connection. I was looking for more of a medical thriller with technical sophistication, but as a woman of similar age and ambition, I did like the ending (even with the major questions I was left hanging on.)
Peggy Holloway
May 13, 2013 Peggy Holloway rated it it was amazing
I almost gave up on this book and it did take quite a few pages before it got into the good stuff. Once it got going, I had to keep reading and would even think about the plot when I wasn't reading the book. I would read more by this author. What an imagination. I kept thinking that a woman wrote this book and I found it intriguing how a man could think like a woman. This author must be a very sensitive man to be able to do that.
Katy H
Aug 26, 2012 Katy H rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook, 2013
Have you ever read a book and the almost the entire time thought "Why is this main character so STUPID?!" That sort of applies here. I wanted to like Morgan - and sometimes I did - but mostly I kept wondering what the heck she was doing. Of course, if I were in her situation, I'd likely act similarly. I suppose to sum up I'd have to say I liked Syndrome more, but this was still interesting/engaging.
Erika
May 20, 2012 Erika rated it liked it

I downloaded it as a free eBook for my Nook. It was perfect for what I wanted, a light summer read. I might have been more disappointed if I had purchased the book as opposed to a freebie. It does take a little while to get to the thrilling moments, but if you like medical type thrillers and just want something light to read this is your book.
Melba
Jun 27, 2013 Melba rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Suspense/thriller lovers
I really enjoyed this book, and it was truly engrossing. The twists & turns throughout kept me hanging on, and I couldn't wait to see what happened next. I love reading suspense/thrillers, and this was a perfect example of that - with a bit of science thrown in. It is well worth the read, and I wanted to read it faster than I did.
Gordon Howard
Jan 21, 2013 Gordon Howard rated it liked it
For me, the ending of this book was the best part. At several places in the book I found myself sitting back and saying "what is wrong with her?" because of actions taken by the main character that just didn't make sense. Overall, the book held my attention but not enough that I would go off looking for more books by the same author.
Martha
May 21, 2011 Martha rated it it was ok
Well, you'd think I'd learn from reading the first one but both were free. Another medical type thriller about fertility and adoption. Again, heroine who isn't exactly brilliant and continues to place herself in a position where she gets in bad situations. Silly heroine. I don't believe I'll read another one of these even if it's free.
Lily
Aug 22, 2012 Lily rated it really liked it
Very interesting plot. Ending seemed to be missing a paragraph... I thought the last page didn't download. It seemed to be explaining everything, and then left a dangling question, unexpectedly. Actually, a good ending.

Unrealistically believable. The author makes a wild scenario seem likely.
AVBooklovers
Dec 28, 2015 AVBooklovers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing

The story hooks you quickly at the beginning, which I love, but then in the middle I found I had to push through the story. It took me months to finish it only because I found it difficult to get in a groove with it. Then the last nine chapters were captivating and I finished the rest of the book in one sitting. Overall, it's definitely a thriller.
Lisa
May 02, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it
This is the 2nd book I have read by this author and I think he is quite good. It really makes you wonder about this whole conventional medicine and what really goes on in this world. Very catchign book!
Shane
Jun 05, 2012 Shane rated it it was ok
very slow read. it never really grabbed my attention, wanting me to keep reading. I think this book has taken me the longest to read because I could never really get into the character or stay focused. it seemed like it took forever to get to the real story in the book
Tulsa
Dec 19, 2011 Tulsa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book-fiction
Not as captivating as I'd hoped. It didn't start to get interesting until the last third of the book and by that point, it was pretty predictable. The end wasn't even plausible and coudl have been pt together better (IMHO).
Marnie
This book was an okay read. While it was predictable what the doctor was doing with the ovum he was taking from women, it was a bit over the top when it involved the Guatemalan secret service and the American embassy too.
  • The Vanishing (Return of the Aliens #1)
  • Resurrection
  • The Glades
  • Cain's Apples
  • Hysteria
  • Golde the Mother (Lost Tales of Mercia, #1)
  • Mortal Ghost
  • Ransom X (A Legacy Mystery #1)
  • I Witch
  • County Line
  • From the Ashes
  • The Value of Life
  • Soul Identity (Soul Identity, #1)
  • Shakespeare In an Hour
  • The Hunt
  • Clearwater Journals
  • Summer of Fire (Yellowstone, #1)
  • Jailbird
Thomas Hoover has a doctorate in oceanography and served as senior vice president of an architect-engineering firm in New York, where he has lived for several decades. His vices include being an avid sailor and a recognized collector of the classical music of India. He began his writing career with two classic non-fiction books on Far Eastern art and religion and then moved into fiction writing wi ...more
More about Thomas Hoover...