Start by marking “The Bee-Man of Orn” as Want to Read:
The Bee-Man of Orn

The Bee-Man of Orn

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  142 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Through a two-year publishing program, we have been privileged to welcome back into print hardcover editions of twenty-one treasures from the Sendak backlist. The program has showcased Sendak's varied and distinctive styles, from the serious to the silly, the dreamlike to the dramatic.In the program's final season, we are happy to reintroduce a book that uses all of those ...more
Published October 1st 2003 by Michael Di Capua Books (first published 1887)

To ask other readers questions about The Bee-Man of Orn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bee-Man of Orn

Cheryl
I wanted to like this more than I did, but it just didn't work for me. Frank Richard Stockton is one of the authors that Alison Lurie enabled me to discover in her anthology The Oxford Book of Modern Fairy Tales.

The story is gracefully told, a little predictable the way fairy tales often are. The illustrations are intriguing. The artist has great eyes and great light - I'm nowhere near legally blind but I could not tell whether the blurriness, the 'softness,' of so many scenes was intentional or
Kelly
The version we read was illustrated by Maurice Sendak. His drawings felt just right for the tale.

I read this in one sitting to my 3.5-year-old son. He enjoyed it very much. I liked it quite a bit, too, enough to pursue other Stockton titles at the library. We recommended it to my 9-year-old niece. I think it's just about right for her to read to herself.
Irene
Άψογο παραμύθι και εκπληκτική εικονογράφιση! Τα λόγια είναι στ'αλήθεια περιττά :) Ένα παραμύθι ξεχωριστό, που θυμίσει τα παλιά, κλασσικά παραμύθια με μάγους και δράκους και δοκιμασίες των ηρώων, καμία σχέση με τα πωλούμενα σημερινά ξεπλύματα! 5/5 με αγάπη!
Brenda Moffitt
This story rambles on; both the prose and plot seem haphazardly put together. The illustrations are it's only saving grace and they are jaw-droppingly amazing.
Maddie Jaques
The artwork in this is fantastic! I loved it. I wish that there was little more clarity in the characters, but its a fairy tale, lets be honest, they don't HAVE to explain much to you.

I love though, that in the end when the Sorcerer goes back to look at the old hut, the Bee-Man is still the same, he's still a Bee-Man. I think that made me smile most of all.

This book is probably better for school age children opposed to younger children. It's long, and there are LOTS of words. I don't know many
Ashley
My mother bought me this book ages ago when I had a bee swarm take over a bush in front of my Texas house. We had to hire a bee man to come and remove the swarm and later went out to help harvest the honey from our bees. In this book a poor and ugly bee man searches for his authentic form after being told by a young sorcerer that he surely must have been some other being before becoming a bee man. The moral is that in searching for who you are, you may very well discover that you were yourself a ...more
Rachel
I picked up this book on a whim because I loved the cover art, while I was looking for books for my son. This one is a bit too long to hold his attention. The story, I'll admit, was unusual but the painted watercolor and gouache illustrations by two-time Kate Greenaway medalist P.J. Lynch were fabulous! The story was originally published in 1883, but this version of it was done in 1887. The book came with a 15 1/2 minute DVD about the illustrator, which goes into detail about how he first reads ...more
Ashley
Illustrator: P. J. Lynch
Ages: 8-12

Plot: There once was a bee-man, he had no other friends than the honey bees. One day he meets a junior sorcerer who tells him that he has been placed under a curse. And so the bee-man sets out to find out what or who he was before the spell was cast upon him.

Assessment: This is a fairly typical morality tale about being true to yourself, with a slight twist in that the main character proves he was himself all along. While a good story, the narrative at times doe
Kami
Wanted to love it, but didn't. I can't really say why. The pictures are great, the story's ending is perfect. I guess I was just so annoyed at the meddlesome wizard at the beginning to really appreciate the rest of the book. And it was just too moralistic for me, or at least, that the moral was too obvious. Both silly reasons to not like it, but there you have it.
Elizabeth Crook
the copy I have from childhood was published by Holt, Rinehart and Winston in 1964 and is inscribed to me by my great Aunt Bill, "Happy Birthday Mary Beth Crook-- 1965-- Lovingly, Aunt Bill" I don't know if this edition has the same text. It's illustrated by Sendak as the original was, but the text might be different. The original was wonderful.
Lanier
5- The Junior Sorcerer pondered, “Why the old Bee-man did not happen to be something he was not, and why he was what he happened to be.”
“Did you know you have been transformed?”

10 - “When I catch sight of a bee tree I am drawn towards it, I know not how. Something says to me, ‘That is what you are looking for.’ In the same way I believe that I shall find my original form. When I see it, I’ll be drawn towards it. Something will say to me, ‘That is it.’”

17 - “It is not because I want to be better
Jerald Belofsky
This is an illustrated update of a book written long ago. The story is uninteresting and the characters are the same. Art is better than the text.
Julie Suzanne
We picked this up as a library discard--we were attracted to the artwork and the fact that it came with a "cd." Well, it ended up being a DVD in which the illustrator goes into great detail about the process of illustrating the book, which is the EXACT kind of thing Morgan is into! We LOVED the dvd, and Morgan seems to have really enjoyed the story, although I thought the story was just ok.

If anyone wants this book, I'd be happy to loan it out.

Shelli
I had never heard of this classic folk tale written in the late 1800's by Frank R. Stockton; an epic journey which was made all the better with the stunning illustrations contributed by P.J. Lynch. I would love to see this made into a movie with similar art, young fans of Lord of the Rings would race to see it.

This is a rather lengthy picture book and maybe be best shared in two sessions when reading to a larger elementary class.
(NS)JenniferA
The Bee-Man of Orn is an enchanting story about a man who lived alone among bees. The bees didn't sting him or bother him. The Bee-man was content until a junior sorcerer came to him and convinced him that he must have been transformed frm something. But what? The Bee-man set out to solve this mystery on his own. What happens to the Bee-man? What did he transform from? You will have to read to find out!
Terry
This book is a triple treat. Frank Stockton’s fairy tale is a model of the genre. P.J. Lynch’s illustrations provide children with unforgettable images. The DVD “Making Fairy Tales" that is included with the book adds to the thrill of the story.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
Pam
I love any book with illustrations by P.J. Lynch. Comes with a DVD on creating children's books. Classic tale of a man who is told by a wizard that he is not who he ws supposed to be, is changed into a baby, and grows into the bee-man again. Awesome illustrations!

Own this book. Read it again in preparation for Read across America 2012.
Marci
The beautiful tale of finding one's purpose is whimsically illustrated by Maurice Sendak. His illustrations are faultless, and it would seem there could be a competition between P.J. Lynch's illustrated version of this story. Not so. There is room for both versions, both perfectly illustrated by the best of the best.
Marci
P.J. Lynch is an absolutely extraordinary illustrator. His dazzling pictures for this beautiful story of destiny and fulfillment create a meaningful treasure of a picture book. Try to find the edition that has a free DVD with an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at P.J. Lynch at work.
The illustrations in this book are nice and the story isn't bad, but it is soooo looonnnggg. Not a good read aloud story unless you have a bottle of water at your side. (I felt better about the length when I realized it was originally published in the 1800s, but still.)
Kerri
Apr 08, 2011 Kerri rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children and adults
Beautiful artwork! A tale about a beekeeper who learns from a sorcerer that he is not who he was meant to be, goes on a journey full of adventure, is transformed by the sorceror back to a baby in his "right" life, and ends up becoming a beekeeper again.
Madeline  Ezell
Definitely made me think.... Something for which I am thankful....
for short stories with great purpose.
Erica Hendrickson
I enjoyed the story but it was quite long. The illustrations are wonderful. (Same illustrator as Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomy)
*textbook
Kim
This particular edition has the most beautiful art work. The story is a good story, and it has great vocabulary.
Urs

Wonderful, wonderful! Amazing illustrations. Read and ENJOY!
Brittney
A book about a man who loves bees and goes on a journey.
Julie
Liked the Maurice Sendak illustrated version.
Nicole Catherine
Nice story, amaaaaaaazing pictures!
Dave
Really interesting children's story!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Harry by the Sea
  • Demolition
  • Snoozers: 7 Short Short Bedtime Stories for Lively Little Kids
  • Chanticleer and the Fox
Frank Richard Stockton was an American writer and humorist, best known today for a series of innovative children's fairy tales that were widely popular during the last decades of the 19th century. Stockton avoided the didactic moralizing common to children's stories of the time, instead using clever humor to poke at greed, violence, abuse of power and other human foibles, describing his fantastic ...more
More about Frank R. Stockton...
The Lady or the Tiger?: And, the Discourager of Hesitancy The Lady or the Tiger The Lady or the Tiger and Other Stories The Griffin and the Minor Canon Buccaneers and Pirates