Farmer Giles of Ham/The Adventures of Tom Bombadil

Farmer Giles of Ham/The Adventures of Tom Bombadil

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  429 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Two short stories by the author of The Lord of the Rings
168 pages
Published by Europa-América (first published October 30th 1949)

Lydia
If you are looking for a short, humble, fantasy story then Farmer Giles of Ham is your man. This is about a Farmer who becomes a hero after "defeating" a giant. Soon after, word of Farmer Giles of Ham's courage spreads and his life will never be the same again. This story is not connected with Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit but does involve creatures common in Middle Earth.
The Adventures of Tom Bombadil is however, linked to Lord of the Rings as Tom Bombadil occurs in the Fellowship of the Rin...more
Caitlin
Farmer Giles of Ham was a really funny little tale. I found I enjoyed it a lot more than The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, which are all poems, some of which I recognised from the Lord of the Rings.
Valerie
"To begin with, you should know that Tom was not only "Eldest" (as he says to Frodo) in terms of the characters in The Lord of the Rings, he was also most certainly one of J.R.R. Tolkien's earliest literary creations. Tolkien's biographer, Humphrey Carpenter, relates that Tom was inspired by a Dutch doll that belonged to the professor's eldest son Michael. This doll was said to have looked very splendid (it had a real feather in its hat!) but Michael's brother John did not like it and one day st...more
Dan
A peculiar collection of poems and stories. The first, Farmer Giles of Ham is a fairy-tale adventure set in England in the Dark Ages; the second is a collection of poems from the Shire. They seem to have been published together because they have Tolkein in common, but really The Adventures should either stand alone or be added as an appendix to The Lord of the Rings.

There is clearly a lot more to "Tom Bombadil" than meets the eye, as his appearance in Frodo's account and countless folk tales re...more
Michael
One of the better collections of Tolkien's stories. Love ol' Tom.
Nina
Farmer Giles of Ham:
Quite an entertaining story about how an ordinary farmer turns - with a lot of luck, into a hero by chasing away a giant. The news spread fast, reaches the King's ears & Giles is ordered to go into battle with the dragon, Chrysophylax.

The Adventures of Tom Bombadil:
A nice selection of songs, rhymes and poems from The Red Book.
Hannah Taubitz
I loved it! It was so fun to get a deeper look into Tolkien's world, and find elements you already knew from his other stories. Tom Bombadil has always been one of my favorite characters, and though only the first two poems concern him, I was thrilled to learn more about this Eldest wanderer.
Jesi
I loved the first story. It was cute and adorably written. The short pieces of poetry in the second half are good but it appears only a small amount of them are about Tom Bombadil so I was sightly dissapointed. Still a good enjoyable read that gives more depth to the world Tolkien created.
Mary
My parents gave me a boxed set for my birthday, this was in the set. I always remembered it as my tenth, but clearly not as the publisher's date is 1977.

At the time I liked this a lot, it reminded me in some ways of the tale of the tailor who got seven in one go.
Kam-Yung Soh
Short and sweet and fun to read. What more do you need? Tales that lie at the border of myth and fantasy from a noted master of Mythology.
Kelv
Tom Bombadil - what an amusing chap. Must read for all LOR followers.
Ida Skovhus
(kun niels bonde fra bol er læst) Et sødt eventyr
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Joy Lotts
Joy Lotts marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Fireofhope
Fireofhope marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Adonis
Adonis marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Mario
Mario marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Taneli Kolppanen
Taneli Kolppanen marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
  • All Hallows' Eve
  • Hobbits, Elves and Wizards: The Wonders and Worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Lord of the Rings'
  • Splintered Light: Logos and Language in Tolkien's World
  • The Inklings: C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Charles Williams, and Their Friends
  • Master of Middle-Earth: The Fiction of J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Ventos do Norte (Acácia, #1)
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the Century
  • O Mar de Ferro (As Crónicas de Gelo e Fogo, #8)
  • The History of the Hobbit, Part Two: Return to Bag-End
  • A Corte dos Traidores
  • A Gateway to Sindarin: A Grammar of an Elvish Language from JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
  • Król bólu
  • Droga do Nidaros (Oko Jelenia, #1)
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator
  • Families and How to Survive Them
  • Tolkien: A Look Behind the Lord of the Rings
  • Westminster Confession Of Faith (1646-7) (and the Larger and Shorter Catechisms, Directories for Public and Private Worship, Form of Presbyterial Church Government, the Sum of Saving Knowledge, National Covenant and the Solemn League and Covenant)
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet,WWI veteran (British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English language and literature from 1945 to 1959. He was a cl...more
More about J.R.R. Tolkien...
The Hobbit (Middle-Earth Universe) The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2) The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3) The Lord of the Rings (The Lord of the Rings, #1-3)