The Cat Who Cried for Help: Attitudes, Emotions, and the Psychology of Cats

The Cat Who Cried for Help: Attitudes, Emotions, and the Psychology of Cats

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  23 reviews
In this groundbreaking book, Dr. Nicholas Dodman does for feline psychology what he did for canines in his widely acclaimed The Dog Who Loved Too Much.Here he reveals the fascinating, and often frustrating, mind of one of our most popular--and certainly most independent--animal companions, and shows how we can coexist peacefully with even the stubbornest of cats.

What do yo...more
Published February 2nd 1999 by Bantam (first published 1997)

Claudia
really interesting, but ...he talks all the time about alternative methods, but at the end seems that he NEEDS to give these poor animals psyco-medicine!!
Beth
The subtitle to THE CAT WHO CRIED FOR HELP is ATTITUDES, EMOTIONS, AND THE PSYCHOLOGY OF CATS. If you own a cat, you'll want to read this.

This book is full of anecdotes, Dr. Dodman's experiences with cats and their owners at the Animal Behavior Department of Clinical Sciences at Tufts University. He shows over and over how cats can be trained and can be cured of annoying habits.

Read this book if your cat has a habit you wish you could stop but don't know how. I think most cat owners will admit...more
Greta is Erikasbuddy
The stories in this book were entertaining. But it felt like the whole idea behind the book was that the author really really wanted to sell us on the idea that Buspirone can fix the anxiety woes our cats have been having.

While you read the stories that this magnificent drug has cured you later find out that it was the author and a colleague that helped in the development in Buspirone into the cat world.

While I understand that anti-anxiety meds can do a world of wonder, I was really looking for...more
Lacey Louwagie
This is one of those books written by someone who is clearly an "expert" in his field, but not a writer. The information about cats and the case studies were interesting, but the mediocre writing was distracting; it was especially awkward in the dialogue/consultation scenes, but less cumbersome in the more academic passages. I had to chuckle a bit over a reference in the intro to "the problems cats face in the 90s," and I found myself wondering how much of the book was out of date.

I don't feel l...more
Samaire
I am so thankful to have found this amazing resource on feline behavior problems. The book is split into three sections, aggression, emotional/ anxiety problems, and compulsive behaviors. Each section has multiple case studies referencing a range of behavioral and medical solutions. Readers can choose to read one or all sections based on their cat’s symptoms. The case studies are humorous and touching and for the most part easy to read and understand. The author does get a bit technical at times...more
Ruby
This is definitely a must-read for anyone who owns cats, especially a cat with a behavioral problem that seems unsolvable. Dr. Dodman has put together a thorough study into the emotional and psychological aspects of why cats do what they do and how we can help them rather than allow them to suffer or be euthanized. I liked how Dr. Dodman went beyond just telling us what could be wrong by giving examples of cats he has worked with. I actually saw some of the behaviors from cats I have owned in th...more
Sally
Dr. Nicholas Dodman has an enormous amount of patience. I picked up this book because I have a problem kitty who expresses her feeling by peeing outside the litter box. I am weary of the cleaning chore and seriously looking for help! Having read the entire book, I don't know if I have the patience to solve this problem, but I shall try!

Dr. Dodman's teaching method is to tell stories of his experiences with cats and the solutions that he has found. I was impressed that I good portion of the "kitt...more
Christine
I had heard of this book and was really excited to read it, but was quite disappointed. I had hoped to get some insight that might help me but instead found myself peeking ahead in the book to see if anything better might be coming up. The book is written by a vet who tells stories of his patients. Some are quite interesting, others sad. Overall, if you just want to read stories of cats with psychological issues, this is the book for you. If you are hoping for practical help, not so much. I woul...more
Anika
I feel this book is outdated, a product of the times when everyone was rushing to the "new" antidepressants. In the afterward of Prozac Nation Elizabeth Wurtzel makes fun of a cat being on Prozac and that is all I could think of while reading about this author's love affair with cat anxiety meds.

Vicky Jones
I hoped this book would help me solve some everyday problems that I was having introducing a new cat into my household. Instead, the book is a collection of case studies about ATYPICAL problems the veterinarian author has seen in his practice, and his solution for every problem seems to be medication. I came away from this book concluding that the author is really a dog guy and doesn't understand cats at all. Pam Johnson-Bennett's books are much more informative and practical.
Courtney
I read this book as it was recommended on a website devoted to the topic of cat aggression, which I've been dealing with recently. It's well written (very British author) and while some of the references are dated, I thought there was a lot here for people with cats. Thank heavens mine aren't as sick or neurotic as some of these kitties, but I still came away with a great understanding of cat behavior.
Flow Wampfler
Feb 07, 2013 Flow Wampfler rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Flow by: Emily Gilles
For a factual book about cats, this is a pretty decent read. He turns a lot of phrases which can get old, but at least he tells some pretty good stories over all. The most unfortunate part is that this guy's solution to most cat problems is drug therapy, but at least he puts thought into which drugs will work best & he does discuss some behavioral solutions.
Kate
Jun 04, 2011 Kate marked it as on-deck  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: secondhand
The wool-sucking chapter was very relevant, I hadn't thought about increasing fiber. This would have possibly saved my cat's life if I had found this information sooner.

Will read the loss of hair chapter next to find out about my parents' cat (they are all a little crazy in their own ways, aren't they?)
of all the cat behavior and training books I read, I found this one the most helpful with the best variety of common issues. Bad behaviors suddenly make sense, from the cat's perspective. Dr. Dodman gives elegant and easy solutions for how to gently train away from badness...
EC
Oct 10, 2012 EC rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This book is over 10 years old now and sometimes it's age showed. It's a good introduction to cat behavior and some complementary treatments. I was a little disappointed, probably because were ground breaking thoughts at the time the book was published are more common today.
Judy
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Dodman gave some interesting insight into the mystifying behavior of cats and - more importantly - some of their over the top owners, which is often to the detriment of the animal.
Kinyorda Sliwiak
Much like the book about dog behavior by the same author, Dr. Dodman relies too much on medication to intervene and provides little "new information" to the experienced pet owner.
Jen Winter
Good book as an intro to cat psychology for the cat owner. Most common problems are covered with detailed solutions and stories of real cats. It was worth the quick read.
Linda Blake
I still don't know how to stop my kitty from beside the box. Really, he doesn't know what makes cats act the way they do. He's really heavy on the drug therapy.
Paula
Anecdotal approach to talking about cat behavior problems and solutions. Interesting and useful, but some stories are sad and frustrating, so be prepared.
Vikki
This was about the attitudes, emotions and Psychology of cats. Very good
Suzie
Jan 02, 2009 Suzie added it
Very good. Has helped immensely to understand problem cat behavior.
Marcellina
Sep 29, 2007 Marcellina is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Cos I'm thinking of getting a cat, finally.
Jackie
lol

of course, i'm a cat lady.
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Mihaela
Mihaela marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Jane Bretz
Jane Bretz marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
The Dog Who Loved Too Much: Tales, Treatments and the Psychology of Dogs Dogs Behaving Badly: An A-Z Guide to Understanding and Curing Behavorial Problems in Dogs The Well-Adjusted Dog: Dr. Dodman's 7 Steps to Lifelong Health and Happiness for Your BestFriend Puppy's First Steps: The Whole-Dog Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy, Well-Behaved Puppy De hond die te veel van zijn baas hield