Start by marking “The Cat Who Cried for Help: Attitudes, Emotions, and the Psychology of Cats” as Want to Read:
The Cat Who Cried for Help: Attitudes, Emotions, and the Psychology of Cats

The Cat Who Cried for Help: Attitudes, Emotions, and the Psychology of Cats

In this groundbreaking book, Dr. Nicholas Dodman does for feline psychology what he did for canines in his widely acclaimed The Dog Who Loved Too Much.  Here he reveals the fascinating, and often frustrating, mind of one of our most popular--and certainly most independent--animal companions, and shows how we can coexist peacefully with even the stubbornest of cats.

What do
Published February 2nd 1999 by Bantam (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Who Cried for Help, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Who Cried for Help

Claudia
Jan 16, 2009 Claudia rated it it was ok
really interesting, but ...he talks all the time about alternative methods, but at the end seems that he NEEDS to give these poor animals psyco-medicine!!
Kinyorda Sliwiak
Oct 20, 2013 Kinyorda Sliwiak rated it it was ok
Much like the book about dog behavior by the same author, Dr. Dodman relies too much on medication to intervene and provides little "new information" to the experienced pet owner.
Kikyosan
Libro da prendere con le pinze.
Da un lato illustra le ragioni di comportamenti felini "umanamente fastidiosi" e propone approcci rieducativi. Molto utile a volte. Si può capire perchè un gatto decida di punto in bianco di non usare più la lettiera, o le ragioni di comportamenti aggressivi. Molto spesso con un po' di sforzi si possono risolvere. A volte senza nessuno sforzo. Dall'altro lato il libro mostra le vite dei più depressi e ansiosi gatti americani e gli inquietanti pensieri e soluzioni d
Beth
Mar 15, 2011 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals
The subtitle to THE CAT WHO CRIED FOR HELP is ATTITUDES, EMOTIONS, AND THE PSYCHOLOGY OF CATS. If you own a cat, you'll want to read this.

This book is full of anecdotes, Dr. Dodman's experiences with cats and their owners at the Animal Behavior Department of Clinical Sciences at Tufts University. He shows over and over how cats can be trained and can be cured of annoying habits.

Read this book if your cat has a habit you wish you could stop but don't know how. I think most cat owners will admit
Lacey Louwagie
This is one of those books written by someone who is clearly an "expert" in his field, but not a writer. The information about cats and the case studies were interesting, but the mediocre writing was distracting; it was especially awkward in the dialogue/consultation scenes, but less cumbersome in the more academic passages. I had to chuckle a bit over a reference in the intro to "the problems cats face in the 90s," and I found myself wondering how much of the book was out of date.

I don't feel l
Greta is Erikasbuddy
The stories in this book were entertaining. But it felt like the whole idea behind the book was that the author really really wanted to sell us on the idea that Buspirone can fix the anxiety woes our cats have been having.

While you read the stories that this magnificent drug has cured you later find out that it was the author and a colleague that helped in the development in Buspirone into the cat world.

While I understand that anti-anxiety meds can do a world of wonder, I was really looking for
Samaire
Aug 10, 2011 Samaire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am so thankful to have found this amazing resource on feline behavior problems. The book is split into three sections, aggression, emotional/ anxiety problems, and compulsive behaviors. Each section has multiple case studies referencing a range of behavioral and medical solutions. Readers can choose to read one or all sections based on their cat’s symptoms. The case studies are humorous and touching and for the most part easy to read and understand. The author does get a bit technical at times ...more
Aug 03, 2011 Sarah added it
Shelves: psycho, cats, drugs, freud
I'm just going to write down a summary of what I needed to take from this book so I don't forget it (thank you Shelfari for allotting me space for this). If you have two grown cats you need to introduce to each other, keep them in separate rooms but next to each other so they grow accustomed to each other's scent. Then every day, switch rooms so they don't get territorial. Feed them at the same time. Make sure they notice the other one eating. Then crack the doors an inch, keeping a brick or som ...more
Sally
Jul 28, 2013 Sally rated it really liked it
Dr. Nicholas Dodman has an enormous amount of patience. I picked up this book because I have a problem kitty who expresses her feeling by peeing outside the litter box. I am weary of the cleaning chore and seriously looking for help! Having read the entire book, I don't know if I have the patience to solve this problem, but I shall try!

Dr. Dodman's teaching method is to tell stories of his experiences with cats and the solutions that he has found. I was impressed that I good portion of the "kitt
Ruby
May 15, 2011 Ruby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely a must-read for anyone who owns cats, especially a cat with a behavioral problem that seems unsolvable. Dr. Dodman has put together a thorough study into the emotional and psychological aspects of why cats do what they do and how we can help them rather than allow them to suffer or be euthanized. I liked how Dr. Dodman went beyond just telling us what could be wrong by giving examples of cats he has worked with. I actually saw some of the behaviors from cats I have owned in th ...more
Christine
I had heard of this book and was really excited to read it, but was quite disappointed. I had hoped to get some insight that might help me but instead found myself peeking ahead in the book to see if anything better might be coming up. The book is written by a vet who tells stories of his patients. Some are quite interesting, others sad. Overall, if you just want to read stories of cats with psychological issues, this is the book for you. If you are hoping for practical help, not so much. I woul ...more
Courtney
Jun 09, 2010 Courtney rated it liked it
Shelves: the-latest
I read this book as it was recommended on a website devoted to the topic of cat aggression, which I've been dealing with recently. It's well written (very British author) and while some of the references are dated, I thought there was a lot here for people with cats. Thank heavens mine aren't as sick or neurotic as some of these kitties, but I still came away with a great understanding of cat behavior.
Vicky Jones
I hoped this book would help me solve some everyday problems that I was having introducing a new cat into my household. Instead, the book is a collection of case studies about ATYPICAL problems the veterinarian author has seen in his practice, and his solution for every problem seems to be medication. I came away from this book concluding that the author is really a dog guy and doesn't understand cats at all. Pam Johnson-Bennett's books are much more informative and practical.
Kate
Jun 04, 2011 Kate marked it as on-deck  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: secondhand
The wool-sucking chapter was very relevant, I hadn't thought about increasing fiber. This would have possibly saved my cat's life if I had found this information sooner.

Will read the loss of hair chapter next to find out about my parents' cat (they are all a little crazy in their own ways, aren't they?)
Anika
Apr 29, 2014 Anika rated it it was ok
I feel this book is outdated, a product of the times when everyone was rushing to the "new" antidepressants. In the afterward of Prozac Nation Elizabeth Wurtzel makes fun of a cat being on Prozac and that is all I could think of while reading about this author's love affair with cat anxiety meds.

Flow Wampfler
Jan 29, 2013 Flow Wampfler rated it liked it
Recommended to Flow by: Emily Gilles
For a factual book about cats, this is a pretty decent read. He turns a lot of phrases which can get old, but at least he tells some pretty good stories over all. The most unfortunate part is that this guy's solution to most cat problems is drug therapy, but at least he puts thought into which drugs will work best & he does discuss some behavioral solutions.
Judy
May 27, 2013 Judy rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Dodman gave some interesting insight into the mystifying behavior of cats and - more importantly - some of their over the top owners, which is often to the detriment of the animal.
Aug 04, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feline
of all the cat behavior and training books I read, I found this one the most helpful with the best variety of common issues. Bad behaviors suddenly make sense, from the cat's perspective. Dr. Dodman gives elegant and easy solutions for how to gently train away from badness...
EC
Oct 01, 2012 EC rated it liked it
Shelves: own
This book is over 10 years old now and sometimes it's age showed. It's a good introduction to cat behavior and some complementary treatments. I was a little disappointed, probably because were ground breaking thoughts at the time the book was published are more common today.
Jen Winter
Aug 14, 2011 Jen Winter rated it really liked it
Good book as an intro to cat psychology for the cat owner. Most common problems are covered with detailed solutions and stories of real cats. It was worth the quick read.
Paula
Aug 31, 2012 Paula rated it it was ok
Anecdotal approach to talking about cat behavior problems and solutions. Interesting and useful, but some stories are sad and frustrating, so be prepared.
Vikki
Mar 11, 2010 Vikki rated it really liked it
This was about the attitudes, emotions and Psychology of cats. Very good
Linda Blake
Sep 06, 2012 Linda Blake rated it it was ok
I still don't know how to stop my kitty from beside the box. Really, he doesn't know what makes cats act the way they do. He's really heavy on the drug therapy.
Gordon Gravley
Nov 18, 2014 Gordon Gravley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was required reading when I was veterinary technician. But a well-written, insightful, even enlightening must-read for anyone interested in our feline companions.
Elizabeth Llewellyn
Elizabeth Llewellyn rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2014
Mikelle
Mikelle rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2014
Patricia
Patricia rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2015
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2013
Bre Wick
Bre Wick rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Feline Mystique: On the Mysterious Connection Between Women and Cats
  • Hiss and Tell
  • The Character of Cats: The Origins, Intelligence, Behavior, and Stratagems of Felis Silvestris Catus
  • The Nine Emotional Lives of Cats: A Journey into the Feline Heart
  • Your Cat: Simple New Secrets to a Longer, Stronger Life
  • Cat Confidential: The Book Your Cat Would Want You to Read
  • The Tribe of Tiger: Cats and Their Culture
  • Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook
  • Wild Justice: The Moral Lives of Animals
  • Made for Each Other: The Biology of the Human-Animal Bond (Merloyd Lawrence Books)
  • Cats Are Not Peas: A Calico History of Genetics
  • The Owner's Manual for the Brain: Everyday Applications from Mind-Brain Research
  • Ranch of Dreams: The Country's Most Unusual Sanctuary, Where Every Animal Has a Story
  • Second Nature: The Inner Lives of Animals
  • Identity and the Museum Visitor Experience
  • The Rough Guide to The Brain
  • Ethics on the Ark: Zoos, Animal Welfare, and Wildlife Conservation
  • The Intelligence of Dogs: A Guide to the Thoughts, Emotions, and Inner Lives of Our Canine Companions