Start by marking “Doctor Who: The Gallifrey Chronicles” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: The Gallifrey Chronicles

Doctor Who: The Gallifrey Chronicles (Eighth Doctor Adventures #73)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The Doctor's home planet of Gallifrey has been destroyed. The Time Lords are dead, their TARDISes annihilated. The man responsible has been tracked down and lured to Earth in the year 2005, where there will be no escape. But Earth has its hands full - a mystery signal is being received from a radio telescope, there's a second moon in the sky, and a primordial alien menace ...more
Paperback, 1st, 288 pages
Published June 2nd 2005 by BBC Books

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Janelle
After over 70 plus books, I really was hoping for a better ending to the Eighth Doctor Adventures. It wasn't a bad book, but it just didn't have the scope and drama I had hoped for. Still, there were finally some answers to some very long term questions about The Doctor and Gallifrey, and an ending that while not fully satisfying, fuels the imagination for future adventures for The Doctor and his companions.
Just as a suggestion, The Gallifrey Chronicles is not the book to read if you haven't re
Michael Battaglia
And so it ends, as we all knew it must. From 1997 to 2005 the BBC continued the work started in the movie and gave us on a regular basis the adventures of Paul McGann's sharply dressed Doctor. But the times were changing and eventually what was once thought unthinkable happened . . . the BBC decided to bring back the old show of yesteryear, gussied up with new(ish) production values and a bold new Doctor who was dressed like he was ready to roll with the rougher boys. Which meant it was time to ...more
Andrew
This book came with a problem....it tells the tale of how the Doctor led to the downfall of Gallifrey...this would have been fine however the fiftieth anniversary episode placed the genocide of the Time lords on a different Doctor!!
However this is Doctor Who some time lines can be written over and consistency between the TV/Book and Audio works can sometimes get stretched..as can the Doctor's personal history.
What this is though is a good book and a send off for this incarnation of the Doctor,It
Simon Curtis
One thing going through this list of books for this website has done has made me realise how much I miss the BBC novels of old, the new ones just are not the same. I know the target audience is now slightly different but the sooner this type of Doctor Who book is back on the market the better it is for all fans of Doctor Who fiction.
Daniel Kukwa
I wanted to like this. I REALLY wanted to like this, especially as Lance Parkin has written some of the best (and most iconic) "Doctor Who" novels. But "The Gallifrey Chronicles" is a victim of too little/too late. I was once an avid follower of the 8th Doctor's adventures, but once the initial amnesia arc was complete, I lost interest. The mystery went on too long, the following arc with multiple universes didn't hold my interest, and the new companions ranged from the extremely ambiguous Anji ...more
Michael
It’s only fitting that Lance Parkin, the first author to bring the eight Doctor to the printed page be the author who writes the coda to the eighth Doctor’s era. (Well, at least in print)

And with the sheer number of dangling plot threads from the BBC’s run of publishing on-going Doctor Who novels, the fact that the story is comprehensible in any way is nothing short of a miracle. Parkin has a lot of weight to life in this novel and he does it fairly well. But while the book is good, it still fal
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/1102824.html[return][return]I thought at first that this was going to be a too-clever-by-half tale of intersecting rival continuities. It's better than that, I'm glad to say. A lot of the plot features another Time Lord exiled to Earth, who has been writing science fiction novels over the last century or so (these are the Gallifrey Chronicles of the title, a beautifully developed concept); he bears a grudge against the Doctor, and triggers an invasion of Earth by loath ...more
M
A very grand finalé to a series I've enjoyed reading for two years. All the characters are on point and resolution of the First Time War plot arc is very satisfying (even though it doesn't really feel like the end).

It speaks a lot to Fitz's character development that I found myself sobbing over a character I once hated. Gonna miss you, bud. I guess I'll never be sure how I feel about Trix.

I'll miss the Eighth Doctor most of all. This series made him my favorite Doctor and there will never be e
Adam Highway
This is probably the second best ending to a doctor who book series; it's not quite on a par with Lungbarrow, but it's still utterly excellent, beautiful, poetic and profane, high and low brow, just lovely. It's a fabulous bookend to the entire EDAs, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Bravo.
Alex
Only four stars based on the genre. Great lit it's not. However, it's a great, fun read for Doctor Who fans in a series that, for the 8th incarnation, often got a bit too heavy and convoluted. Still, nice of Parkin to bring it all together with a finale that is pure Who.
Chris
A good ending to an interesting series. It ties up most of the loose ends without being weighed down by them
Ana Abel
Divertida, pero bastante mala. Por eso no suelo leer libros de franquicias.
sondheim
Apr 08, 2012 sondheim marked it as to-read
NOT SURE IF ALREADY READ...
SImon Clover
SImon Clover marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Mary Beth
Mary Beth marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Catherine McClelland
Catherine McClelland marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Amelia
Amelia added it
Aug 13, 2015
Francisca
Francisca marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Alissa
Alissa marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Aryel
Aryel marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Funandfailure
Funandfailure marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
  • Doctor Who: Mad Dogs and Englishmen
  • Doctor Who: Reckless Engineering
  • Doctor Who: Hope
  • Doctor Who: History 101
Lance Parkin is an author who has written professional Doctor Who fiction since the 1990s. He is one of the few authors to write for both the 1963 and 2005 version of the programme — though much of his fiction has actually been based on the 1996 iteration. Indeed, he was notably the first author to write original prose for the Eighth Doctor in The Dying Days. He was also the author chosen to deliv ...more
More about Lance Parkin...

Eighth Doctor Adventures (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • Doctor Who: The Eight Doctors
  • Doctor Who: Kursaal
  • Doctor Who: Option Lock
  • Doctor Who: Longest Day
  • Doctor Who: Legacy of the Daleks
Doctor Who: The Eyeless Doctor Who: The Infinity Doctors Doctor Who: Father Time Doctor Who: Davros (Big Finish Audio Drama, #48) The Dying Days