Start by marking “Doctor Who: Blood Heat” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Blood Heat

Doctor Who: Blood Heat (Virgin New Adventures #19)

‘Not men, Ace. Silurians. The original rulers of the Earth.’

The TARDIS is attacked by an alien force; Bernice is flung into the Vortex; and the Doctor and Ace crash‐land on Earth.

An attack by dinosaurs convinces the Doctor that he and Ace have arrived in the Jurassic Era. But when they find a woman being hunted by intelligent reptiles, he begins to suspect that something i
Paperback, 1st, 309 pages
Published November 7th 1993 by Virgin Publishing (first published October 21st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Rasheed
Mar 28, 2010 Rasheed rated it it was amazing
The very 1st Doctor Who book I ever owned. Read it when I was about 15, and it got me hooked on.
Scurra
Feb 23, 2009 Scurra rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
This was unexpected. I could remember bits of this one from first time around, but most of it turned out to be wrong..!

After a run of perfectly serviceable titles, we suddenly erupt into a proper story-arc (for the first time since the original set of NAs) and this first entry is a cracker, positing an alternate universe in which the Silurians apparently unleashed a world-changing virus as a result of the Third Doctor's actions in the original series (although this explanation is rather skimmed
Daniel
I decided recently to take another look at some of the Doctor Who original spin-off novels that formed such a big part of my adolescent (and even pre-adolescent) reading diet. It has been so long since I read a Doctor Who novel that I have become used to the pacing of the television show, especially the frenetic post-2005 series. It took a while to get used to the slower plot, digressions, sub-plots and long chains of events. Nevertheless, there is a strong atmosphere to Blood Heat. Jim Mortimor ...more
Adam James
Aug 12, 2014 Adam James rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014, doctor-who
You can tell that Jim Mortimore was a super fan of "Doctor Who and the Silurians." You can also tell Jim Mortimore was a fan of titles that sound more like Cinemax movies.

I suppose it's the author's prerogative to re-imagine a novel's universe ( or alternate universe ) however he/she desires. And yes, this is a hypothetical world where the Doctor is dead and the Silurians have murdered all but a million humans. But, as a reader, it's pretty unsettling to watch two characters you absolutely love
Mary JL
May 04, 2011 Mary JL rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any Dr Who or SF fan
Recommended to Mary JL by: I am a fan of the series
In the televised episode "Doctor Who and the Silurians" , the Third Doctor defeated a race of intelligent reptiles to save Earth.

This novel asks the questions: What if the Thrid Doctor had been killed and the Silurians completed their conquest of our planet? The Seventh Doctor and Ace find out when they are spun into an alternate universe where the Silurians are masters of Earth, opposed by a small remnant of humanity.

In this alternate universe, we meet the Brigadier, Liz Shaw, Jo Grant and othe
Christopher Buchanan
This is a great idea for a story but with a lot of mis-steps and some heavy mellow drama. Over all it's pretty damn good, but some of the individual components of the whole are cringe-worthy. I don't know how to rate this. It was kind of horrible, yet I liked it. I'll call it a 3 and get on with my life.
James Bowman
Aug 29, 2015 James Bowman rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned, sf, dr-who
David Sarkies
Jan 20, 2012 David Sarkies rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Die hard Doctor Who fans
Recommended to David by: Old Primary School Friend
Shelves: sci-fi
An alternate universe where the Silurians won
21 January 2012

This book is part of a series of books that was written to initially give Doctor Who fans their monthly dose of Doctor Who. The series (The Virgin New Adventures) follows the adventures of the Doctor after the series was first cancelled, while another series (The Virgin Missing Adventures) was written around the previous Doctors and are set between many of the older episodes. These books did add a new dimension to Doctor Who in that th
Nicholas Whyte
Apr 08, 2009 Nicholas Whyte rated it liked it

What if the Silurians had killed the Third Doctor in the 1970s and taken over the earth, leaving the Brigadier and Liz Shaw as leaders of a hunted and dwindling human resistance? Jim Mortimore brings the Seventh Doctor, Ace and Benny to a parallel universe to find out. It was particularly interesting to read it soon after listening to a slightly different alternate timeline for Liz (The Sentinels of The New Dawn) and also the Ace-in-devastated-England stor
M
Jan 20, 2015 M rated it it was ok
Shelves: doctor-who
There were a few highlights but for the most part it was ridiculously melodramatic and dull.

I knew it was a divergent timeline from the very beginning but the characters were painfully slow on the uptake. Rule One of Doctor Who should really be that the reader should never out-think the Doctor. This book series almost always fails in that respect. It's so disappointing.

All of that post-apocalyptic imagery might have been trendy in the early 90's but it's so over-done these days. And what was u
Saran Wolf
Jun 01, 2016 Saran Wolf rated it it was amazing
I loved this one from when it first came out, because Dr Who at the time rarely did alternate history and this alternate history of its own past was an amazing thing to discover. It builds in a sense on the alternate history seen in Inferno, the best of Pertwee's TV stories, and yet this is modern (for the time) Dr Who running into an alternate history version of reality created in a different outcome from a story almost 20 years before.

If you didn't run into it in this period, in these terms,
Drew Perron
Jan 14, 2014 Drew Perron rated it it was ok
Travis
May 16, 2008 Travis rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
Interesting idea with a lot of Who history ( always nice to see old friends and enemies) but it feels like it's the middle book of a trilogy, as there's a pretty big sub-plot which the main story hangs on that isn't fully explained in this book.
It's frustrating, as I didn't read the New Adventures in the order they were published, so this plot thread came out of nowhere and I'm really not sure what book it gets resolved in.

This sort of thing happened in a bunch of the books featuring the sevent
Siskoid Albert
Jan 17, 2012 Siskoid Albert rated it it was amazing
The first of a 5-part arc in which the 7th Doctor, Ace and Bernice Summerfield are spun into various alternate universes by an unknown hand. In this one, the Silurians won back in their premiere story and the world's been taken over by dinosaurs as the last vestiges of UNIT fight the good fight. Except the Doctor still wants to make peace! A good adventure yarn with memorable set pieces (Benny's not in it enough for my tastes though), but rather dark (a staple of the series). Jim Mortimore's pre ...more
Daniel Kukwa
Jul 30, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
Ridiculously epic & terrifying. This is one of the most successful "Doctor Who" stabs at an alternate universe storyline; it's full of "what-if" scenarios that fans have dreamed about for years. Some of the imagery is truly breathtaking.
The Master
Jun 25, 2010 The Master rated it it was amazing
One of the best VNAs so far. The TARDIS crew are blasted into an alternate universe where the Silurians have overrun the Earth. Loads of action, lots of scheming on all sides, and a solid ending. Best of all was the alternate universe version of the Brigadier: TOTAL BADASS. Loved it.
David
Jul 28, 2011 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
Not a happy story, but a good one. I love alternate histories and this is a solid Dr. Who story. Although it does seem like Bernice didn't really become a great character until she got her own series (we'll have to see about the later books).
Richard Byrne
Jan 05, 2014 Richard Byrne rated it it was ok
really not a very good book at all. I had forgotten how poor some of the NAs were.
Simon Curtis
Mar 11, 2010 Simon Curtis rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
The very first grown up Doctor Who book that I read, and I loved it then and enjoyed it just as much second time around many years later. An excellent parallel-world tale.
Andy Stehr
Mar 02, 2014 Andy Stehr rated it liked it
Okay. Not a huge fan of the alternate history arch.
Shannon Appelcline
Jul 29, 2012 Shannon Appelcline rated it really liked it
A nice action-adventure with good focus on the UNIT era and on Ace.
Brad
Nov 18, 2011 Brad rated it really liked it
There were a few cliched lines of dialog, and some of the characters weren't as strong as they could have been, but I thoroughly enjoyed this story.
Nina
Nina rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2014
Jody Gonzalez
Jody Gonzalez rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2014
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Robert Schneider
Robert Schneider rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2013
Ananthu C
Ananthu C rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2017
Gladys
Gladys rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2008
Gary Hilson
Gary Hilson rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2012
  • Doctor Who: Love and War
  • Doctor Who: Legacy
  • Doctor Who: Blood Harvest
  • Doctor Who: Theatre of War
  • Doctor Who: Sky Pirates!
  • Doctor Who: Birthright
  • Doctor Who: The Also People
  • Doctor Who: Iceberg
  • Doctor Who: Conundrum
  • Doctor Who: Toy Soldiers
  • Doctor Who: Infinite Requiem
  • Doctor Who: St. Anthony's Fire
  • Doctor Who: Shadowmind
Jim Mortimore is a British science fiction writer, who has written several spin-off novels for popular television series, principally Doctor Who, but also Farscape and Babylon 5.

When BBC Books cancelled his Doctor Who novel Campaign, he had it published independently and gave the proceeds to a charity – the Bristol Area Down Syndrome Association. He is also the writer of the Big Finish Doctor Who
More about Jim Mortimore...

Virgin New Adventures (1 - 10 of 61 books)
  • Doctor Who: Timewyrm: Genesys