The Highest Science

The Highest Science (Virgin New Adventures #11)

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Sakkrat.
Many legends speak of this world, home of an ancient empire destroyed by its own greatest achievement: the Highest Science, the pinnacle of technological discovery.
When the TARDIS alerts the Doctor and Bernice to the presence of an enormous temporal fluctuation on a large, green, unremarkable planet, they are not to know of any connection with the legend.
But the...more
Published February 18th 1993 by Virgin Publishing

Jean-marcel
Originally published on the Doctor Who Ratings Guide in 2010:

I'm not exactly a complete newcomer to Virgin's New Adventures, but I only managed to collect about fifteen of them in the 1990s and have only read a few others since then. Recently, I came by a rather large batch of the series as well as many of the BBC eighth Doctor books (I've read a mere single one of those since their inception!) and thus I have an exciting trove of hitherto untapped Doctor Who tales to lose myself in. Yes, it's v...more
Nicholas Whyte

This was Gareth Roberts' first Doctor Who book (in the Virgin New Adventures series), laying the groundwork for a subsequent career that has most recently produced The Lodger (though we have a couple more Sarah Jane Smith stories by him coming out towards the end of the year). A small plot element - London commuters whisked through a wormhole in space to encounter an alien menace - was re-used in Planet of the Dead, by Gareth Roberts and RTD. Fannish opi...more
Matthew
May 16, 2008 Matthew rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: NA newcomers
Shelves: doctor-who
"They've been reading too much space fiction. It's like something out of that rubbish they used to put on after Grandstand."

There's much to like about this debut novel by Gareth Roberts. There's humor, horror, and a boatload of extras get killed off -- just like the good old days!

The Chelonians are a wonderful new race of monsters for the Doctor to go up against (they remind me just a little bit of the Slitheen, except not as crap), and the criminal mastermind Sheldukher is such a fantasticly vi...more
Don
This Doctor Who novel is largely praised, and it's certainly one designed to appeal to fans of "traditional" Who. Regrettably, that class doesn't include me. The story is decent enough, and Roberts' prose works well. Others have mentioned the story's heavy Douglas Adams influence (seen in the concept of the Fortean Flicker, and the eight twelves), and this can even be seen in the writing style, with sentence construction bearing the same subtly wry tone and cadence often found in the Hitchhikers...more
M
Despite being just as cheesy and ridiculous as all the other books in this series, it managed to be enjoyable--probably because it laughed at itself a little. While the plot dragged at times, there was still plenty of action and an actual interesting plot of sorts. That's a big deal for this series.
There was a cool villain, some crabby (snaily?) aliens, and the Doctor actually acted like the Doctor. Bernice starts off as a promising companion and I already like her a lot. That being said, there...more
Andy Stehr
Just a little shy of okay.
Grant Howard
A solid entry in the series. Certainly a improvement of the dismal "Transit" which preceded it. Roberts has a great handle on the character of the 7th doctor and we get a bit of a better look at Bernice in this one, after her being a small part in "Love and War" and possessed throughout "Transit". That being said she's still drugged for around half of the novel, but I'm really getting to like her.
Some good new aliens in the Sontaran-esque "Chelonians" who I wouldn't mind seeing again.
Brad
Sure, like many doctor who stories this book follows the format of a mystery story except there's almost no chance of working the details out for yourself, but overall it had one of the most engaging plots of the series so far and most of the characters actions made some sort of sense.
Daniel Kukwa
Any man that can make turtles into an evil race of tiny soldiers is a hero in my book. Read "The Highest Science" for Gareth Roberts debut in the Doctor Who universe -- his wit, his humour, and his effortless command of the 7th Doctor's character.
Christopher Stilson
Incomprehensible and barely coherent. There's no clear idea of what is main plot and what is subplot and the disparate threads of action do not begin to come together until 2/3 of the way through the book.
Travis
Not a terribly memorable plot, but the characterization of the seventh Doctor and Benny was good and how can you not love a race of power hungry turtles?!

Simon Curtis
Good, but not as great as his Missing Adventures. But it did introduce the Chelonians, an excellent addition to the world of Doctor Who.
Shannon Appelcline
A fine adventure story, perhaps a bit loose toward the middle which drags on a bit.
Abs007
A nice, light enjoyable read with Roberts' usual humorous touch to the fore.
David
Good story overall.
JJ
JJ marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Kajarra Velis
Kajarra Velis marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Makenzie Poulsen
Makenzie Poulsen marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
John Lynch
John Lynch marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Andrew Perron
Andrew Perron is currently reading it
Jul 26, 2014
Jari Palvanen
Jari Palvanen marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Frank
Frank marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Cassidy Hamill
Cassidy Hamill marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Gareth Roberts has written several Doctor Who novels (including Only Human featuring 9th & Rose), and TV scripts for Emmerdale and Randall & Hopkirk (deceased).
He also wrote the Doctor Who interactive adventure Attack of the Graske and the mobile phone Tardisodes accompanying the 2006 series.
More about Gareth Roberts...
Doctor Who: Shada Doctor Who: Only Human Doctor Who: I Am A Dalek Doctor Who: The One Doctor (Big Finish Audio Drama, #27) Doctor Who: Bang-Bang-a-Boom! (Big Finish Audio Drama, #39)