Start by marking “The Sea Fairies” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Sea Fairies

L. Frank Baum

The Sea Fairies (Trot & Cap'n Bill #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  553 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Trot and her uncle, Cap'n Bill, encounter unusual experiences with mermaids, sea-serpents, and other strange creatures while journeying in the depths of the sea.
Published (first published 1911)

To ask other readers questions about The Sea Fairies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sea Fairies

Alberto
I made up a melody for the barnacle song, and I always sing it when I'm walking in the woods now. I don't see why the mermaid said it was stupid.
Danns
I must be honest, after reading the Oz series, this book did not live up to the tradition. I would think that this would be right up my alley, taking place in the ocean depths; but alas, not so much. That is not to say it was not a good story, just not great.

Both Avery and myself were not at all impressed with Trot. She came off as a sassy, spoiled brat who was too often combatitive and rude. Given that she is merely a little girl, her manners could have been more forth coming and yet never was
Corrie
My mother recently got a Kindle. This was the first book she downloaded. She was really excited to reread it because she remembered really enjoying it as a child. Since she was so excited about it, I decided that I should read it.

Can't say I was that excited about it. I didn't like either of the main characters - particularly Trot.

After I read it, I asked my mother what it was that she liked so much about it. She said that she mostly enjoyed the illustrations when she was little. Since the kind
Marts  (Thinker)
Trot and her friend Cap'n Bill go on an exciting adventure below the sea with Queen Aquareine and all the mermaids... They are introduced to all the sea creatures, learn quite alot about the ocean dispelling alot of the myths that they've always heard, and get into a bit of danger too...
Sarah Porter
I usually like old, crazy, moralistic children's literature. I have a high tolerance for the preachy, self-righteous tone that pervades many children's classics (e.g. The Princess and the Goblin, The Water Babies.) But this, with its slapdash plot and barely-there characters and limited imaginative scope, just isn't much good. The best I can say for it is that its villain Zog presages Mr. Motley of Perdido Street Station, which is something, though Zog and his final end are both disappointingly ...more
nicole
After working at Books of Wonder for two and a half years, it was interesting for me to finally read some Baum. I can understand why so many people are charmed by these books (especially this one, I mean, mermaids, man), but I can also understand why so many people have gone on to write continuations of Baum's stories. That part isn't exactly a compliment. His writing style feels rather amateur at times, and I can see people thinking "hey, I could do this!" (to be fair, though, "Christmas in Oz" ...more
Janet
MG Fantasy
A lesser known work by L. Frank Baum, author of "The Wizard of Oz". Published in 1911.

Sassy young Mayre "Trot" and old uncle Cap'n Bill who has one "meat" leg and one "hickory" leg, are invited to visit the undersea world by the beautiful mermaids (if only they will live to tell the tale, as no man who's been lured into the waters by mermaids has ever returned to ship or land).

And so begins their undersea adventures: They are given mermaid tails and the ability to breath under water. T
N. Ray
The descriptions of the mermaids and their dwellings and sea life was much different than I had expected. All good... Just different.
The story revolves around a young girl and an old seaman that are graced with the presence of the mermaids during one of their boat rides. The mermaids have decided to turn the humans into mermaids in order to abolish a rumor that mermaids are evil. The mermaids are hospitable and introduce them to the ways and creatures of the sea. But as they make their way from
David Macpherson
This was a book I got to read to my son at bedtime. I will like it more for that reason. He liked it. I thought some of the travelogue aspect of the book, where the girl and CapN Bill, turned into mermaids traveled about, was tedious. It got fun and weird at the second half with a bad guy who holds them captive. It was all fun and strange.
Constance
Ok, but not great. Filled with Baum's wonderful descriptions, but without the whimsy of Oz. The mermaids are underwater fairy-princess types, not very interesting. Fine for kids who like princess/fairy/mermaid stories. Probably most notable for Oz readers who are familiar with Trot and Cap'n Bill from The Scarecrow of Oz. This is the book that introduces those characters.
Brian O'neal
Something for Baum completists, but not an enjoyable read for anyone else. I picked this up after reading the original Oz books to my sons; I hoped for the same magic, but it wasn't there. The story is very much "of its time" and does not translate well to the modern era.
Kat
A pretty cute book. I liked Trot and Cap'n Bill, and the word play of King Anko's speeches and the names of the sea creatures was clever. This book also managed to drum up some dramatic tension in the climax, and do away with a much more demonic bad guy than is common in the Oz books.
Mark Wilkerson
L. Frank Baum (almost) always proves to be an interesting read. I always feel like a curious little child again who is passed a book when I have questions about certain legends. This book is set up to answer those innocuous questions that those little kids may have. Here, mermaids is the topic, and Baum tackles creating a believable, fun little fantasy world out of this idea. Much like his story "The Life of Santa Claus," the world that Baum creates is surprisingly well thought-out. He takes his ...more
Joshua
Read a fair few reviews, I think people commonly mis-interpret the whole slave aspect. Slave and servant once were synonymous. There was no distinction between the paid vs unpaid or willing vs forced aspect of the work. Same mistake commonly made with the bible. After all sacho, the gold smith, and cap'n joe hardly fit the bill of whipped and chained slave. They were saved from drowning by zog, given a roof over here heads, well fed, albeit terrified of zog, sacho in who's quirky way hardly want ...more
Mckinley
Curious girl wants to see mermaids and gets an underseas adventure. Typical Baum although missing the mission of Wizard of Oz. The 2 main characters do show up in the Oz series in The Scarecrow of Oz.
rastronomicals
A failing of Baum's less accomplished work is that he substitutes travelogue for plot, and the first part of this book falls into that trap. Things pick up with the appearance of Zog, but then Baum (again, as he does) resolves the plot with a deus-ex-machina.

I liked the sassy Trot, though, and the undersea world Baum describes is sometimes portrayed as beautifully as Oz
Christopher
Not a bad idea for a story but it was quite quirky. I found it quite boring untill the cast finally met zog who was really the strangest villan ive ever read of.
This book could not be a classic because alot of the facts are outdated and it gives a rather disturbed and primative notion of the sea and its inhabitants and I wouldnt like to read it to a chlid for fear they would remember some of the ideas as truth.
Its nothing compared to the authors other books like the wizard of oz, but i reccomend
Kaitlin
I liked this, but it dragged out for a while.
George
Started this a second time with Mike on 11/23/2012. So far he's enjoying it as much as the Oz books. Finished on 12/16/2012. Mike was just as happy with this as the Oz books.
Well, I enjoyed this one, too. Maybe not as much as the Oz books, but I wanted to read this (and the next Trot & Cap'n Bill story) before continuing with the Oz books because they make an appearance in that one. This was enjoyable, but typical. The characters weren't quite as interesting as the Oz characters, but this
Shiloah
A very cute book. Listened to it as a family. One thing that stuck out was how kind everyone was and how everyone went out of their way to make another happy. One character was constantly talking about the importance of choosing to be happy.
Pat
Not as inventive as the Oz books, but a fun read.
Dayna
I picked this up at the Oregon Coast Aquarium because I loved the Wizard of Oz books when I was a little kid. It's a cute story- lots of safe adventure for kids. The interesting thing is Trot's (a little girl character) attitude toward anyone that acts 'stuck up' in the story. She's quite militant about it. I wonder if this was Baum's own opinion or if he was just trying to teach kids not to be arrogant.
Helen Fosco
Well Frank Baum had a great imagination. I did get a bit bored but then I'm an adult. I loved his Oz books but this is not one of them although the charachters of Trot and Captain Bill eventually go to OZ in a later book. The thing I loved about the OZ series is the great Art Nouveau illustrations. When you read books on the older Kindle you don't see those illustrations.
Dee
A fluffy children's adventure, with some scary (but not too scary!) bits, and a nice "Don't judge people before you get to know them" lesson. It's easy to see why Baum is famous for The Wizard of Oz and not for The Sea Fairies, but it was an enjoyable read.
Travis
Spunky young Trot and her uncle the old sailor, Cap'n Bill encounter all kinds of magical creatures while out upon the sea.
Fun bit of light fantasy from the guy who brought us the Oz books.
Trot and Cap'n Bill both end up in Oz in one of the later books.
Megan
what can I say---L. Frank Baum's whimsical writing, a San Diego setting, mermaids, and John R. Neill's gorgeous illustrations....love....now if I could just get my little hands on a first edition someday!!!!
Jan
A lighthearted whimsical fantasy from the author of the Oz series that was totally charming. I somehow envisioned Disney illustrations for all the characters, creatures and places in this story.
Kathy
A wonderful children's story. As much fun as the Wizard of Oz, but this one occurs under the sea. I was happy to read this as an adult. I just wish I had know of it when I was a kid.
Kris
Another strange childhood obsession. I really wanted be a mermaind and drew endless mermaid pictures after reading this book.
My parents should have made me go outside more.
treva
One of the best stories not about Oz, though Trot and the Cap'n later end up in Oz. An excellent story about mermaids with a one-legged sailor and a benevolent sea serpent.
  • Pirates in Oz (Book 25)
  • The Wind in the Willows
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • A Kidnapped Santa Claus
  • City of Time (The Navigator Trilogy, #2)
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
also wrote under the name Edith Van Dyne, Floyd Akers

Lyman Frank Baum was an American author, actor, and independent filmmaker best known as the creator, along with illustrator W. W. Denslow, of one of the most popular books in American children's literature, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, better known today as simply The Wizard of Oz. He wrote thirteen sequels, nine other fantasy novels, and a pleth
More about L. Frank Baum...

Trot & Cap'n Bill (3 books)
  • Sky Island
  • The Scarecrow of Oz (Oz, #9)
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1) Ozma of Oz (Oz, #3) The Marvelous Land of Oz (Oz, #2) The Road to Oz (Oz, #5) Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (Oz, #4)