Start by marking “King of RPGs, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
King of RPGs, Volume 1

King of RPGs, Volume 1

Jason Thompson, Level 14 Shaman/Oozemaster and author of Manga: The Complete Guide, joins forces with Victor Hao to deliver a wickedly funny send-up of manga and gamer culture. Roll up your character and get ready!

At the University of California, Escondido, no one would guess that freshman Shesh Maccabee is a hard-core gamer—and in recovery to bo
Published January 19th 2010 by Del Rey (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about King of RPGs, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King of RPGs, Volume 1

Jun 18, 2016 Jess rated it really liked it
I just wanted to note that I stumbled upon this book while skimming the titles for sale at my local library's SuperCon a few weeks ago. The artwork caught my attention and given the fact that I like to game, I thought it would be a fun read.
One of the best manga purchases I've ever made.

Shesh Maccabee harbors split personalities - 'Good Shesh' is a mild-mannered college freshman who just wants to play Mages and Monsters. 'Dark Shesh' is a violently crazed maniac who's insane tendencies push hi
Oct 28, 2010 Chibineko rated it liked it
I stumbled upon this purely by accident. I was looking for the latest Fables book when I saw this tucked discreetly into the bookshelf. Curious, I read a few pages... and then promptly purchased it.

The book follows Shesh, a young college student who has been banned from computer games. Why, you might ask? It all stems from two things: that Shesh slips into a semi-violent (depending on what game he's playing) personality when he *really* gets into a game & because he stayed at an internet caf
Jul 15, 2015 Emma rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Shesh Maccabee has split personalities. One is Shesh, mild-mannered college freshman, then there's 'Dark Shesh', a violent, crazed, and slightly insane maniac who only comes out in RPG-related circumstances, including playing an RPG and talking about RPGs. Dark Shesh then becomes completely immersed into the role of a character in an RPG and starts role-playing that character, for example, hijacking a car and tearing down the road, even though he doesn't know how to drive. Months before he had h ...more
Kasey Jane
Oh, anime, you so great. You make everything intense.

The King of RPGs is the story of Shesh, a young gamer whose personality is occasionally subsumed that of the character he is playing. He, of course, meets various other gamer types and participates in zany adventures with them. The first half was laugh-out-loud funny, but the second story arc dragged a bit. Looking forward the next installment!
Jake Forbes
Jan 27, 2010 Jake Forbes rated it it was amazing
A disclaimer, I'm friends with the writer, but even if I wasn't, I'd give high marks to this debut graphic novel from Jason and Victor. The tabletop Mages and Monsters game early on set a high bar for loving RPG parody, but I was blown away by how Jason so deftly summed up the history of Collectible Card games with humor and heart in a later flashback. While there have been dozens of "manga inspired" graphic novels created for western audiences, King of RPGs is the first one I've read that so pe ...more
D.M. Dutcher
Funny graphic novel about a boy named Shesh who gets so hooked on a World of Warcraft styled game that he has to have an intervention. A while later he goes to college as a more or less normal student, but temptation is just around the corner. You see, Shesh has only repressed his gamer persona, and Moggrathka is lurking underneath the surface, waiting to be released on the mundane world.

The art style is a little too busy in some panels, and at times its too arcane-the authors are writing for th
Aug 31, 2014 intrepideddie rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Great manga-style book! The artwork wavers at a few points in the book, but is very good overall. The story itself is a lot of fun and contains TONS of inside jokes. Here's the caveat for this book: if you're not familiar with various types of RPGs (and the different kinds of people that play them), this book will make very little sense to you. The book is built on the foundation of this experience. It's not a stellar introduction to a new series, but it shows a lot of promise.
Apr 21, 2012 April rated it it was amazing
Ok- here is the deal if you are a gamer who has dabbled in many forms of gaming: MMOs, dice, CCGs, tabletop, battle mini strategy games, etc. If you know what these acronyms mean... You will find this book amusing. I really dig it not only for poking fun at a million cliches of gaming and gamer lifestyle but for its inclusion of many aspects of life in the gaming and con industry. Having lived with gamers ebaying Pokemon cards and writing their own RPGs while arguing over the proper role of the ...more
Elysya Scerbo-pasta
Feb 25, 2016 Elysya Scerbo-pasta rated it liked it
If you have any remote idea of how RPGs work and know some popular titles, you can appreciate this comic. I was smiling the whole time. It's got your typical manga elements and a comedy where even if I'm not always laughing out loud I do smile quite a bit. It's a little crazy... Ok it's super crazy, and totally ridiculous, but I enjoyed it very much. And the art is pretty good too!
Jan 14, 2012 Mf rated it liked it
This graphic novel (and series) brings home tabletop rpgs, MMOs, CCGs, board games. Everything is slightly altered in name but easily identifiable. It pokes fun in a nice way and was a quick and easy journey. It's a light snack worth eating, though I can't see rereading it.
May 25, 2011 John rated it liked it
An entertaining read, with well-done artwork, but the story is a bit over the top for my tastes. It seems designed to appeal to gamers who also like manga, and while I'm the former, I'm not as much of the latter as I once was.
Shannon Appelcline
Apr 28, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-indy
This is a nice and often funny combination of roleplaying games and the manga medium. Maybe I'm not a big enough manga fan, but I just didn't find it interesting enough to finish. I read the first two chapters (out of three).
May 11, 2010 Steven rated it liked it
Saw this in a comic book shop and couldn't fathom how there could be a manga series about playing D&D. I'm surprised by how entertaining it was, but wonder how they're going to maintain an engaging storyline.
Oct 24, 2011 Rachel rated it it was ok
Amusing, but not amazing. Good artwork :)
Feb 01, 2010 Snow rated it really liked it
reviewing for Booklist
Danny marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Kevin rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Clifford rated it really liked it
May 25, 2016
Lyn Jensen
Lyn Jensen rated it really liked it
May 25, 2016
Kayleebmcelroy rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Neil Kulevich
Neil Kulevich rated it it was ok
May 01, 2016
Btran19 Tran
Btran19 Tran is currently reading it
Mar 22, 2016
Jasher Drake
Jasher Drake rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Hannah added it
Dec 31, 2015
Nemanja Pewa
Nemanja Pewa marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Vaane rated it it was ok
Nov 06, 2015
Brian Moore
Brian Moore marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
There is more than one author with this name
More about Jason Thompson...