Start by marking “Doctor Who: Storm Warning” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Storm Warning

Doctor Who: Storm Warning (Big Finish Doctor Who Audio Dramas #16)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  447 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
October, 1930. His Majesty's Airship, the R1010, sets off on her maiden voyage to the farthest-flung reaches of the British Empire, carrying the brightest lights of the Imperial fleet. Carrying the hopes and dreams of a breathless nation.

Not to mention a ruthless spy with a top-secret mission, a mysterious passenger who appears nowhere on the crew list, a would-be adventur
Audio Play
Published January 2001 by Big Finish Productions Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Doctor Who by Robert ShearmanDoctor Who by Alan BarnesDoctor Who by Nicholas BriggsDoctor Who by Paul CornellDoctor Who by Alan Barnes
8th Doctor Audios
2nd out of 76 books — 7 voters
Doctor Who by Brian MinchinDoctor Who by Justin RichardsDoctor Who by Gary RussellDoctor Who by Oli SmithDoctor Who by Mark Morris
Doctor Who ultimate list
21st out of 240 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Rose
Nov 14, 2013 Rose rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-read, sci-fi, who
I have a deep soft spot for Paul McGann's version of the Doctor in "Doctor Who." He was the eighth actor to ever play the role, and while he didn't get to play the role very _long_ (he had one made-for-TV movie to his credit, and it wasn't even a particularly GOOD movie), he was easily one of my favorite Doctors. He *got* the character, shining in the role not because of the script, but rather in spite of it.

Luckily for us Eighth Doctor fans, Big Finish went ahead and released over 70 audio play
Wart Hill
Jul 09, 2014 Wart Hill rated it it was amazing
In case anyone cares about my deep Eighth Doctor Love:(view spoiler) ...more
Mark
Jul 12, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Doctor Who
Recommended to Mark by: the Doctor Who tv show
This audioplay made me happy as it was about the 8th Doctor of whom we had seen only one TV movie, made in US/UK cooperation, and it showed a Doctor with so much promise that was never fullfilled on the telly.

When somebody pointed out that there was a whole universe full of 8th Doctor tales done by Paul McGann himself I jumped aboard and never looked back.

This is his first outing for Big Finish and it takes place in Oktober 1930 on His Majesty's Airship the R001 on her maiden voyage. Strange thi
Kimmie
Apr 18, 2016 Kimmie rated it it was amazing
'Storm Warning' not only saw me my first introduction into the world of Big Finish audios, but also into audio books in general. And boy, was it a good place to start such an adventure!

First things first, thank goodness for Big Finish; who continued to pick up from the Doctor Who movie and expand on McGann's Eighth Doctor, breathing even more life into the character and letting fans explore his adventures in a way that the movie and series was unfortunately never able to. 'Storm Warning' isn't j
David
Mar 26, 2016 David rated it really liked it
My first 8th Doctor audio adventure! This one's very well regarded. A new classic. I'm still bit of a novice to Big Finish outside of Dorian Gray. Did find this well worth the $2.99 for the download.
Kelly McCubbin
Jan 29, 2016 Kelly McCubbin rated it it was ok
Don't get me wrong, the return of Paul McGann as the 8th Doctor is a wonderful thing and it pays off beautifully as his adventures roll on. His Doctor is well defined, intriguing, sharp, likable... But this story is a mess. Sloppily written, full of awkward exposition, packed with cliched characters and oddly mish-mashed plot ideas, it's a struggle to get through. McGann and India Fisher as new companion Charley Pollard are almost acrobatic in their attempts to make it work, but it's just too mu ...more
Adam Scovell
Feb 21, 2010 Adam Scovell rated it really liked it
Paul McGann deserves a TV series. Big Finish however fill the gap wonderfully and manage to show how good a TV series could have been. Storm warning is just as good an opener as Spearhead from Space or Robot.
Drew
Aug 19, 2012 Drew rated it really liked it
I'm surprised to find these audio dramas here at Goodreads since they're not actually books. I've got quite a few queued up for my iPod, and they're a great companion for a bike ride or a long car trip.

And very, very good.

Storm Warning is the first appearance of Paul McGann's 8th Doctor since his lone shot in the television movie. On one hand it's a shame he never got his chance to do any further film adventures. On the other, he's fantastic in the Big Finish audio series.

Here, also, is the fi
Kate Sherrod
Dec 27, 2015 Kate Sherrod rated it liked it
The very first Eighth Doctor audio drama is a bit clumsily written (the Doctor has to resort to talking to himself to provide exposition entirely too often for my taste) but this is otherwise a solid production of a solid story. The contemporary characters were a bit two-dimensional, but the performances were good.

I have listened to these dramas in no particular order so I already have a preference for the Charley/Six over the Charley/Eight team-up, but it was nice to get her origin story.
Yvensong
Aug 26, 2015 Yvensong rated it really liked it
Recommended to Yvensong by: Weekend T.A.R.D.I.S.
I was surprised to find this on Goodreads, as this is actually an audioplay, instead of a book.

This is the first of the 8th Doctor's adventures that follows the movie that Paul McGann starred in as the 8th Doctor. This, also, introduces Charley as his new companion. They're interplay is a bit awkward in the beginning, as to be expected.

The Doctor finds himself on an airship on her maiden voyage, and curiosity leads him to explore, and then discover that all is not as it seems.
Angela
Jun 03, 2014 Angela rated it liked it
The 8th Doctor's first adventure on audio. He has a problem in the time vortex and lands on the R101 in the 1930s. There he meets an adventuress stowaway called Charlie. Only problem is that the R101 is destined to crash the next day. The 8th Doctor is really well done, and his characterisation is a joy to listen to. The storyline involving aliens and politics was ok, this was mainly an introduction to the characters of Charlie and the Doctor. A good listen.
Xavier Granville
Feb 19, 2015 Xavier Granville rated it really liked it
For those looking for an entry into the 8th Doctor's audio adventures, Storm Warning is your best bet.

It's a top notch story that leads the way into the twisted journey taken by Paul McGann's Doctor and his new companion Charlotte Pollard. You've got your historical fiction mixed with an alien twist and that big moral-question-of-an-ending that only The Doctor can deliver.
Steven
Aug 30, 2014 Steven rated it it was ok
The Doctor is supposed to be looking for the TARDIS manual in his ship's library, but he's more interested in what's actually there than in what he started out looking for, such as a copy of Frankenstein and a signed first edition of The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. Then the TARDIS encounters another distraction; a glitch in the Vortex, in which a time ship is crashing over and over again, eternally repeating the last few moments of its existence. Even as the Doctor watches, a flock of vortisaurs sw ...more
Will Lloyd
Nov 13, 2014 Will Lloyd rated it it was amazing
Storm Warning was the first audio to feature Paul Mcgann and at the time he was the current doctor. The story revolves around the airship R101 and the reasons for it's crash. I won't go into the story too much in case I spoil it for you all. It also introduces India Fisha as the new Companion Charlotte "Charley" Pillars who works well with the doctor. It's a brilliant start to a brilliant series.
Devin Harvey
Sep 08, 2013 Devin Harvey rated it really liked it
Shelves: big-finish
As my first Big Finish I was concerned that I would have trouble really getting into it, and thought I might just get distracted and not be able to really picture the story, but I was wrong. It starts off very adventure-y and Charlie is just a delight, and it even had moments of humour. As it goes on, however, it starts to get more and more eerie and even somewhat scary at moments and being someone who loves scary things, this got my attention in a heartbeat. Overall it kept my attention perfect ...more
Harrison Corbin
Well being the first in line of the Paul Mcgann audio books, I struggle to wonder why this is number sixteen in the list of eighth doctor adventures. It's like the Eighth Doctor timeline is all jumbled up.
Diane
Feb 03, 2016 Diane rated it it was amazing
Loved every bit of this. I can't wait to listen to the rest of the series.

I have to say I really think the 8th is my favorite Doctor now.
Aug 29, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: tossed, kept, audio
First in the Eighth Doctor stories that were spun off the main "range" of Doctor Who audios.

The Eighth Doctor lands on a zeppelin and proceeds to find a new companion (Charley); changes history (saves Charley from dying) and narrowly escapes from being absorbed into an alien species while convincing said alien species to go away from Earth and having them learn to think for themselves.

But it's on a ZEPPELIN!!!! Zeppelins are cool!

Originally "read" on 2/10/14; my compulsions caused me to "read"
Malin (JustMalin's)
Jan 24, 2016 Malin (JustMalin's) rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
God, I love the 8th Doctor.

This was quite slow at first (understandable, since it's an introduction to a new companion and everything) But it really picked up at the end.
Nicholas Whyte
the best DW audio I have heard to date. Funky new arrangement of the signature tune, and the return of the Eighth Doctor, in a brilliant soundscape evoking the disastrous maiden voyage of the R101. Gareth Roberts (Blake from Blake's Seven) is fantastic as the sinister Air Minister, Lord Tamworth, India Fisher is great as new companion Charley Pollard, and Paul McGann is simply superb. Also I see that this appears to have been the first DW written by Alan Barnes, who also wrote the two Gallifrey ...more
Meredith
Well done Whovian adventure, as well as a well done first meeting between a Doctor and soon-to-be companion.

ETA: 2/1/2016 After listening to several adventures of the 8th Doctor, often with Charley, I've really gained a strong affection for McGann's Doctor and it wasn't until I read more about him, that I realized how short his TV run was and how Charley came about only in the audios. So it's interesting all over again to come back and read the start of the 8th Doctor and Charley's adventures.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Aug 12, 2013 Jayaprakash Satyamurthy rated it really liked it
This is my first Eight Doctor story, I haven't yet seen the sole TV special he appeared in. I'm not sure he's a very distinctive Doc - I prefer the scenery-chewing antics of Six and Seven, at least in this series - but this is a very gripping story and introduces a very promising companion, the Edwardian adventuress, Charley Pollard. It's just a bit jingoistic at one point, but I just had to stay having read the book.
Leilani
Aug 25, 2013 Leilani rated it liked it
Shelves: tie-in
Re-listened to this as part of my 50th anniversary Eighth Doctor celebration. I had forgotten most of the second half of the story, and preferred the earlier airship bits to be honest, but overall it is a good solid story. Charley starts out appealing but not terribly distinctive, I'll have to try some of her later stories to see how she develops.
Mel
Feb 25, 2013 Mel rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book
I did quite enjoy this one. Air ships and adventuress and having recently decided I quite like the eighth doctor it was fairly good. I must admit though that I didn't care much for the aliens. I think I would have preferred it if it had been more of a fantastical or steampunk style adventure. It probably deserved a closer listen than I gave it.
Noah Soudrette
Mar 19, 2008 Noah Soudrette rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who, audio
A so-so start for Paul McGann's first audio adventure as the 8th Doctor. The first half of the play is completely cheese ball, but gets MUCH better in the second half. It's also interesting how the alien race featured here has been fractured into three groups, each representing the id, ego, and superego.
Scarlet Tartlet
Wherein we learn that Vortisaurs are to Academy Time Lords as Buckbeak is to Harry Potter.

Find my full review here on my blog: Zeppelins in Space! The Eighth Doctor in Big Finish's Storm Warning
G. Hoffmann
Jul 04, 2016 G. Hoffmann rated it it was amazing
Kimber
May 13, 2013 Kimber rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-things-who
Anyone who wants the True Eighth Doctor Experience with Paul McGann MUST listen to the Big Finish stories. His story starts here with his first "official" companion Charlotte Elspeth Pollard, Edwardian Adventuress.
Sidsel Pedersen
Oct 24, 2013 Sidsel Pedersen rated it really liked it
3,5 stars
Very entertaining and sweet. It wasn't super fantastic but I does see the fascination of the audio plays. And I did really like the companion which is always a huge plus.
Maggie Connelly
May 24, 2012 Maggie Connelly rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it! I have a bit of a soft spot for Eight and this hit it right on the mark. It had dirigibles, and aliens, and adventures, what more could you want?
  • Doctor Who: The Chimes of Midnight
  • Doctor Who: Caerdroia
  • Doctor Who: The Natural History of Fear
  • Doctor Who: The Spectre of Lanyon Moor
  • Doctor Who: Colditz
  • Doctor Who: The One Doctor (Big Finish Audio Drama, #27)
  • Doctor Who: Davros
  • Doctor Who: Human Resources, Part One
  • Doctor Who: Omega
  • Doctor Who: ...ish
Alan Barnes is a British writer and editor, particularly noted for work in the field of cult film and television. Barnes served as the editor of Judge Dredd Megazine from 2001 until December 2005, during which time the title saw a considerable increase in the number of new strip pages. Among other strips, Barnes originally commissioned The Simping Detective. He also wrote a handful of Judge Dredd ...more
More about Alan Barnes...

Big Finish Doctor Who Audio Dramas (1 - 10 of 213 books)
  • Doctor Who: The Sirens of Time