Start by marking “A Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming (2nd Edition)” as Want to Read:

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  18 reviews
For use with all versions of Linux, including Ubuntu, (TM) Fedora, (TM) openSUSE, (TM) Red Hat, (R) Debian, Mandriva, Mint, and now OS X, too!
Get more done faster, and become a true Linux guru by mastering the command line!
Learn from hundreds of realistic, high-quality examples
NEW! Coverage of the Mac OS X command line and its unique tools
NEW! Expert primer on automating t
Published November 19th 2009 by Prentice Hall (first published July 1st 2005)

Be the first to ask a question about A Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming

Joe Vaughn
Dec 05, 2007 Joe Vaughn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Linux Newbies
Excellent is the first word that comes to mind for a primer. While I'm more *nix oriented, this is an awesome starting place for anyone with the savvy to install Linux on a box but doesn't know the hell to do with it afterwards. Unlike the majority of LUGs with replies with RTFM n00b33 replies to basic functionality questions, this book gives practical examples for first-timers and frames knowledge in such a way as to provide newcomers with the ability to ask *smart* questions of those of us who ...more
Blair
I have used this book in a class I led at work, and strongly recommend it for people that are interested in developing their Linux proficiency.

This book will not make you a Linux expert. But you will have a solid foundation from which to develop the skills you learn from this book to become that expert over time, after you read this book.

I like this book because it provides ample coverage of its topics. Each chapter is a sort of mini book in and of itself, providing solid coverage of the topic i
Joakim
It was hardly a practical guide considering there were no examples given to show the codes in action. I also felt that material wasn't covered comprehensively. I've picked up Steve Moritsugu's Practical Unix since, because I was disappointed with this one..and my course required a comprehensive knowledge of UNIX/LINUX commands and utilities..also I wanted to get into shell scripting. So far Steve's book is proving to be 100x better than this one.
I would only recommend this to people who are try
Dmitry
More of a friend than a book.
Evan Snyder
As a programmer who had already spent some time tripping around Linux environments, I found this a most excellent, to-the-point overview of the operating system's baseline functionality, file system, and commands. Explanations were kept direct and simple, which is ideal if, for example, you are already familiar with what ACLs are, but need a quick hit about using them on a Linux box. Extensive command reference at the back.
Zach Klippenstein
A great book for the linux user who wants to learn how to use the shell. Serves as a very detailed, yet easy to read and understand, introduction to bash and tcsh. Definitely made me more productive (and is a great skill to show off at parties). Includes a very handy little command reference, until you get comfortable with man pages ;)
Amclinux
One of the best books I have come across for the UNIX , LINUX "power user". If you really want to understand the shell,text editors (Emacs,Vi),programming tools,sed,gawk then this book is for you. This book is distro neutral, and the examples in the book, will work for any distro ex (fedora,Gentoo,FreeBSD, Debian).
Daniel
Pretty good book to understand a little of Linux, but not to use as a guide or a reference book. It left alot of important things out, or in some cases the subject that I was looking for was divided in small parts all over the book.
Alex
Intense book. Kind of reference of it all. Lots and lots of information. At least you get to know what you're capable of to do.

Its really emerging your keyboard ninja within :) Huge volume but well worth the time.
Rich Tijerina
A great book. I would choose this over Linux in a Nutshell, as it contains everything the other book has, explains clearer, and has more 'practical' info.
Jordan
An excellent book for learning basic shell scripting and bash and tcsh commands. A must - read for anyone who hopes to one day be a Linux guru.
tnicholson Nicholson
If you want to learn Linux any one of the Sobel books is good. They are all the same just a new cover and distro of the month.
Jimyip
Comprehensive for introducing frequent use commands, shell scripting. Use as a reference book than a textbook
Kaitlyn
This book is very helpful while learning Linux. I'd imagine it is pretty helpful afterwards too!
Tallarico
Very good book on Linux with very good examples.
Ankit Agrawal
this book is great for learning shell basics
Marc
The author's style just works for me. Great book.
Gene Smith
A good introduction.
Paweł Gałecki
Paweł Gałecki marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Dallas
Dallas is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Taran
Taran added it
Jun 03, 2015
Stephen Frost
Stephen Frost marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Ahmed Lo'ay
Ahmed Lo'ay marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
  • Beginning PHP and MySQL 5: From Novice to Professional
  • Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide
  • Learning the bash Shell
  • UNIX Power Tools
  • The Protocols (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1)
  • Professional JavaScript for Web Developers
  • The Linux Programming Interface: A Linux and UNIX System Programming Handbook
  • Nmap Network Scanning: The Official Nmap Project Guide to Network Discovery and Security Scanning
  • Programming Perl
  • sed & awk

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Mark G. Sobell, author of many best-selling books, including A Practical Guide to Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Sixth Edition, A Practical Guide to Ubuntu Linux, Third EditionA Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming, Third Edition (all from Prentice Hall), has more than thirty years of experience working with UNIX and Linux. He is the president of Sobell Associate ...more
More about Mark G. Sobell...
A Practical Guide to Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux A Practical Guide to Ubuntu Linux A Practical Guide to Linux A Practical Guide to the Unix System A Practical Guide to Unix for Mac OS X Users