A Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming (2nd Edition)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  16 reviews
For use with all versions of Linux, including Ubuntu, (TM) Fedora, (TM) openSUSE, (TM) Red Hat, (R) Debian, Mandriva, Mint, and now OS X, too!
Get more done faster, and become a true Linux guru by mastering the command line!
Learn from hundreds of realistic, high-quality examples
NEW! Coverage of the Mac OS X command line and its unique tools
NEW! Expert primer on automating t...more
Published November 19th 2009 by Prentice Hall (first published July 11th 2005)

Be the first to ask a question about A Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming

Joe Vaughn
Dec 05, 2007 Joe Vaughn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Linux Newbies
Excellent is the first word that comes to mind for a primer. While I'm more *nix oriented, this is an awesome starting place for anyone with the savvy to install Linux on a box but doesn't know the hell to do with it afterwards. Unlike the majority of LUGs with replies with RTFM n00b33 replies to basic functionality questions, this book gives practical examples for first-timers and frames knowledge in such a way as to provide newcomers with the ability to ask *smart* questions of those of us who...more
Blair
I have used this book in a class I led at work, and strongly recommend it for people that are interested in developing their Linux proficiency.

This book will not make you a Linux expert. But you will have a solid foundation from which to develop the skills you learn from this book to become that expert over time, after you read this book.

I like this book because it provides ample coverage of its topics. Each chapter is a sort of mini book in and of itself, providing solid coverage of the topic i...more
Joakim
It was hardly a practical guide considering there were no examples given to show the codes in action. I also felt that material wasn't covered comprehensively. I've picked up Steve Moritsugu's Practical Unix since, because I was disappointed with this one..and my course required a comprehensive knowledge of UNIX/LINUX commands and utilities..also I wanted to get into shell scripting. So far Steve's book is proving to be 100x better than this one.
I would only recommend this to people who are try...more
Evan Snyder
As a programmer who had already spent some time tripping around Linux environments, I found this a most excellent, to-the-point overview of the operating system's baseline functionality, file system, and commands. Explanations were kept direct and simple, which is ideal if, for example, you are already familiar with what ACLs are, but need a quick hit about using them on a Linux box. Extensive command reference at the back.
Zach Klippenstein
A great book for the linux user who wants to learn how to use the shell. Serves as a very detailed, yet easy to read and understand, introduction to bash and tcsh. Definitely made me more productive (and is a great skill to show off at parties). Includes a very handy little command reference, until you get comfortable with man pages ;)
Amclinux
One of the best books I have come across for the UNIX , LINUX "power user". If you really want to understand the shell,text editors (Emacs,Vi),programming tools,sed,gawk then this book is for you. This book is distro neutral, and the examples in the book, will work for any distro ex (fedora,Gentoo,FreeBSD, Debian).
Daniel
Pretty good book to understand a little of Linux, but not to use as a guide or a reference book. It left alot of important things out, or in some cases the subject that I was looking for was divided in small parts all over the book.
Caroline
Never have I ever learned how to do a thing on a computer without lots of (1) tension headaches and (2) googling. This book helps only if you know of a command or type of variable and have the thought: what does that thing do?
Alex
Intense book. Kind of reference of it all. Lots and lots of information. At least you get to know what you're capable of to do.

Its really emerging your keyboard ninja within :) Huge volume but well worth the time.
Rich Tijerina
A great book. I would choose this over Linux in a Nutshell, as it contains everything the other book has, explains clearer, and has more 'practical' info.
Jordan
An excellent book for learning basic shell scripting and bash and tcsh commands. A must - read for anyone who hopes to one day be a Linux guru.
tnicholson Nicholson
If you want to learn Linux any one of the Sobel books is good. They are all the same just a new cover and distro of the month.
Kaitlyn
This book is very helpful while learning Linux. I'd imagine it is pretty helpful afterwards too!
Tallarico
Very good book on Linux with very good examples.
Ankit Agrawal
this book is great for learning shell basics
Gene Smith
A good introduction.
Ragtime Betty
Ragtime Betty marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Julian Patton
Julian Patton marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Talath
Talath marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Damian
Damian marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Alex Macleay
Alex Macleay is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2014
Udit Saxena
Udit Saxena marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Michiel Vanhoutte
Michiel Vanhoutte is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2014
A Practical Guide to Ubuntu Linux A Practical Guide to Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux A Practical Guide to Linux A Practical Guide to the Unix System A Practical Guide to Red Hat® Linux®: Fedora™ Core and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (3rd Edition)