Start by marking “Holidays Around the World: Celebrate Ramadan and Eid al-Fitr” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Holidays Around the Wo...

Deborah Heiligman

Holidays Around the World: Celebrate Ramadan and Eid al-Fitr

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Ramadan, the Muslim holy month of fasting, and Eid Al-Fitr, which marks the fast's end, are sacred times for millions throughout the world. Celebrate Ramadan and Eid Al-Fitr examines the reasons for the month-long dawn-to-dusk fast and observes some of the wide variety of celebrations at the end of the fast worldwide.

National Geographic supports K-12 educators with ELA Com
Published July 14th 2009 by National Geographic Children's Books (first published September 12th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Holidays Around the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holidays Around the World

Brittany Wall
"Holidays Around the World: Celebrate Ramadan and Eid Al-Fitr: with Praying, Fasting, and Charity"
Nonfiction/ Informational Text- Grades 3rd-4th

This book is a nonfiction text about the holiday of Ramadan. This book contains beautiful photographs and simple explanations of complex religious rituals. Ramadan is a month-long holiday when Muslims around the world come together to celebrate faith, family, and community. I think this book is very important because it informs students about a religion
This is a wonderful book that clearly explains the Muslim holidays of Ramadan and Eid Al-Fitr. The photographs add a lot to the book and I felt the text was simple enough for ages 6-10 to understand without it being too wordy. I like that on each page some words are in bold, so even for younger readers you could read these headings and still be learning the basics.
I like that the author makes a point to show the different people in the photographs come from all around the world, illustrating th
Mar
These children's books are great for teaching about world religions. I like the information. I like the photos and the recipes. Makes explaining things in a class nice and easy when one can do it with pictures.
Michelle G.
I'd definitely read this book to my class to help explain Ramadan and fasting. Lots of pictures, big text for younger students, more detailed captions and text boxes for older students.

I would choose this book over Ramadan by Suhaib Hamid Ghazi.
Ali
Way too many words for children's book. Good information and pictures though.
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Merci
Merci marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
Olabesi Paul
Olabesi Paul marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2013
Alejandra Bernal
Alejandra Bernal marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2013
Marianna
Marianna marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2012
Vj
Vj added it
Dec 20, 2011
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2010
119782
Deborah Heiligman's second job was at the Scholastic News Explorer, the 4th grade classroom magazine. There discovered that she loved writing for children and she has never looked back.

After the birth of her two children she started to work as a freelancer. She has written 28 children's books as well as articles for numerous magazines including Ladies' Home Journal, Sesame Street Parents Guide, P
More about Deborah Heiligman...
Charles and Emma: The Darwins' Leap of Faith The Boy Who Loved Math: The Improbable Life of Paul Erdos From Caterpillar to Butterfly Intentions Cool Dog, School Dog