The Catch (Joe Gunther #19)

The Catch (Joe Gunther #19)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Joe Gunther, a policeman for most of his adult life, gets the call that every cop hates: A fellow officer has been killed in the line of duty.During what appears to have been a routine traffic stop on a dark country Vermont road, a deputy sheriff was shot to death. From what can be seen onthe cruiser’s video recorder, the killers appear to be acouple of Boston-based drug r...more
Published September 1st 2009 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2008)

Christian
After the last few Gunther novels, my expectations were low. (While on my latest reading jag, I read one of the books without even realizing I had already read it before!)

This one was a bit better. Once again, most of the action takes place outside of Vermont, but this time it did not seem as forced as the last few novels. Most of the references to Joe's age have been muted (I think, if the timeline for his life established way back in Open Season was still being followed, Gunther would be over...more
Patricia
Deputy Sheriff Brian Sleuter stops a suspicious vehicle for a routine traffic stop. Before he is able to complete his paperwork life comes to an end for Sleuter. Joe Gunther is called in to investigate. Joe is head of the Vermont Bureau of Investigation. Sleuter’s vehicle was equipped so that he would be taped while making the stop and his killer was caught on tape.

Gunter has officers checking Sleuter’s background just to be sure that there was nothing underhanded in his history that could have...more
LJ
THE CATCH (Pol. Proc-Joe Gunther-New England-Cont) - Okay
Mayor, Archer – 19th in series
St. Martin’s Minotaur, 2008, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780312381912

First Sentence: Deputy Sheriff Brian Sleuter was looking for a better country/western station when the Toyota flew by, spraying a few roadside pebbles against the front bumper of his cruiser.

Joe Gunther and the Vermont Bureau of Investigation have been called in to assist on a drug-related cop killing. Pharmaceutical drugs are being brought in from...more
Ed
#19 in the Joe Gunther series. Surprise development as a result of keen observation by team member Willie Kunkle.

Joe Gunther series - Vermont deputy sheriff Brian Sleuter gets shot while making a traffic stop. The video camera on Sleuter's cruiser taped the murder, so it appears to be a simple case. Since the pair that Sleuter stopped have a drug history, Joe Gunther coordinates with Immigration and Customs Enforcement in Boston. In a smash-bang arrest attempt, one suspect is killed, the other e...more
Andy Plonka
I've gotten hooked on Mayor of late but have not been reading the Gunther series in order. This one provides some back story for me on Gunther's relationship with Lynne.
Ken
It is a detective novel. Not outstanding and not bad. The best aspect of the novel is the sense of place and people. I k ow many of the places described and find the descriptions to be comfortable. If you want to read about New England this book will make you feel like a native. If you want a great mystery, you may want to look elsewhere. The story moves the characters are believable and everything isn't wrapped in a bow at the end so I felt I got my money's and time worth from the book. It just...more
Kate
This time a deputy is shot on Route 7 south of Vergennes and the search takes Joe to the coast of Maine in hopes of finding the suspect who is involved in a drug ring. There is an interesting twist at the end. The story is light reading and there were a number of characters that I had to continually remind myself who they were. I particularly like Mayor's stories because I can get a real feel for the place as he names actual locations and captures the essence of the communities.
Dennis
A murder mystery for a change
Margaret
A solid additon to a mystery, "police procedural" series set in Vermont and featuring Joe Gunther. I've read this series from the beginning and it's one where I'll actually buy the latest in hard cover. It took me awhile to get to this one - savoring the anticipation - and it's an enjoyable, read it in one swell foop book. If you like cop mysteries and want to get a good flavor of Vermont (also, in this book, something of Maine), then you'll like this series.
Jeff Dickison
What begins as a fairly good entry into this series loses steam about half-way through and plods to a very unsatisfying ending. It appears that the author is trying to tell us that life is sometimes trivial and slightly depressing. The murder which starts the book off is solved almost by accident. This could have been better.
Richard
How can you live in South Central New Hampshire and not like an author who lives in Brattleboro, Vermont. I have read all of Mayor's books; he has written better books than this one but it is an entertaining mystery spiced by a developing romantic relationship and the lobster industry in Maine. Try it, and get to his other books.
Corny
A better than average Joe Gunther mystery. I like them because of the setting, Vermont, NH or ME, mostly Vermont where I have spent a lot of time and know the area. The characters are interesting and Gunther himself is very real. Can be read in one day and is very entertaining although not very deep.
Luis Perez
Fiction. A police investigator looks into a state trooper’s death and subsequently stumbles across a growing drug operation, family dysfunction, law enforcement turf battles and surprising twists.

An enjoyable police mystery. Good summer read or for a cold winter's night.
Georgette
Story and characters were all over the place. Confusing.
Karen
I love Archer Mayor mysteries but this one was just OK. The drug theme and too much "law enforcement details" was a bit of a bore for my taste. This was not up to Mr.Mayor's usual page turning style. I will look forward to next year's book however!
Wyma
Nov 02, 2008 Wyma rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wyma by: janerogers63@gmail.com
The same cast of characters we've enjoyed previously added to law enforcement characters in New Hampshire and Maine. Mayor catches our attention quickly with a cop killing and layers the plot with drug dealing and lobster fishermen.
Deborah
A police procedural where the main character has a quiet strength about him and a good guy air. A quick, easy read. This book takes place in various locations in New England and describes the scenery and people very well.
Lynne Thomas
The least favorite "Joe Gunther"novel, I've read. The plot was all over the place, literally and figuratively. The ending didn't feel like an ending but just a stop. Here's hoping Book 20 in the series, is better reading.
Laura Shannon
One of those mysteries that is all about police procedure. There is very little here in terms of character development. It is not poorly written, quite the contrary, but is just not my kind of mystery.
Patrick
This series has pretty much jumped the shark. Readable, certainly, and of more than marginal interest to me since I am working on a news story about drugs in New England, but not exactly a barn-burning read.
Bruce
I'm generally a big fan of this series, but I thought this outing was a disappointment. Way too much misdirection and procedural stuff, not enough of the character development in previous books.
Herzog
This series is consistently enjoyable. With the advent of a new love interest for Gunther, it's taken on new vitality. I find the recurring characters of Willy and Sam appealing.
Bob
Good story, taking place in coastal Maine, largely. The ending was not entirely satisfactory, but does reflect reality, rather than having everything tied up in a neat package.
Beth
Sigh. Another book I picked up randomly when I needed something to entertain me for a few hours - the end was AWFUL and extremely anti-climatic with no resolution!
Patricia
Oct 15, 2008 Patricia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Susanne
Shelves: mystery
Latest entry in an excellent police procedural that I was turned onto years ago by Kevin, the mystery bookseller in Borders Framingham.
Paulah
not one of his very best, but a transitional book, as JG gets more comfortable in a new relationship and gains more recognition in the VBI.
Jennifer Krider
It was ok, thé plot touches on so many characters without really getting to know them. As an audio book, I couldn't get into it.
Lee-Ann
Excellent cross-border novel (VT, NH, ME). Leaves the plotline open for a sequel. Write the next one soon, Mr. Mayor!
Winifred
All Archer Mayor's Joe Gunther series mystery books are page turners. As soon as I finished one I began another.
Susan
I thought I had finished this series but there's more!! Great characters evolving in sutuations that are compelling.
  • On the Line (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #10)
  • Cold in Hand (Charles Resnick, #11)
  • It Happens in the Dark (Kathleen Mallory, #11)
  • Massacre Pond (Mike Bowditch, #4)
  • Carved in Darkness
  • Prime Time (Charlotte McNally, #1)
  • A Blind Eye (Frank Corso, #3)
  • The Night Stalker (Jack Carpenter #2)
  • The Violet Hour
  • Dying To Sin (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #8)
  • Caribbean Moon
  • Birds Of Prey (J.P. Beaumont, #15)
  • The Siege (Alan Gregory, #17)
  • Shadows at the Fair (An Antique Print Mystery, #1)
  • Merciless (Mercy Gunderson Mystery #3)
  • From the Dead (Tom Thorne, #9)
52067
Over the years, Archer Mayor has been photographer, teacher, historian, scholarly editor, feature writer, travel writer, lab technician, political advance man, medical illustrator, newspaper writer, history researcher, publications consultant, constable, and EMT/firefighter. He is also half Argentine, speaks two languages, and has lived in several countries on two continents.

All of which makes mak...more
More about Archer Mayor...
Open Season (Joe Gunther #1) Borderlines (Joe Gunther #2) The Skeleton's Knee (Joe Gunther #4) Scent of Evil (Joe Gunther #3) Fruits of the Poisonous Tree (Joe Gunther #5)