Start by marking “The Catch (Joe Gunther #19)” as Want to Read:
The Catch (Joe Gunther #19)

The Catch (Joe Gunther #19)

Joe Gunther, a policeman for most of his adult life, gets the call that every cop hates: A fellow officer has been killed in the line of duty. During what appears to have been a routine traffic stop on a dark country Vermont road, a deputy sheriff was shot to death. From what can be seen on the  cruiser’s video recorder, the killers appear to be a couple of Boston-based dr ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Catch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Catch

Christian
Apr 06, 2009 Christian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
After the last few Gunther novels, my expectations were low. (While on my latest reading jag, I read one of the books without even realizing I had already read it before!)

This one was a bit better. Once again, most of the action takes place outside of Vermont, but this time it did not seem as forced as the last few novels. Most of the references to Joe's age have been muted (I think, if the timeline for his life established way back in Open Season was still being followed, Gunther would be over
Rob1109
Nov 03, 2014 Rob1109 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was nothing extraordinary that stands out in 'The Catch.' It's a typical Archer Mayor novel--and there's nothing wrong with that AT ALL.

The story was good, albeit a touch confusing in the middle. But as always, it's very easy to identify and feel for the same ol' cast of characters--Joe, Sammie, Willy, Les, etc...plus the secondary characters are also developed well.

Mr Mayor, as always, does a fine job of bringing fictional characters to life with simple words, actions and dialogue. The bo
Patricia
May 17, 2008 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deputy Sheriff Brian Sleuter stops a suspicious vehicle for a routine traffic stop. Before he is able to complete his paperwork life comes to an end for Sleuter. Joe Gunther is called in to investigate. Joe is head of the Vermont Bureau of Investigation. Sleuter’s vehicle was equipped so that he would be taped while making the stop and his killer was caught on tape.

Gunter has officers checking Sleuter’s background just to be sure that there was nothing underhanded in his history that could have
Richard
As the Joe Gunther books are generally set in Vermont, as am I, I enjoy this mystery series. This one strays into Maine, which is not a problem in itself, but it does bring in many characters, none of whom are developed. There were also some loose ends and coincidences, which may be realistic but left me unsatisfied. Even Gunther gets frustrated when it seems his cop-killer case veers into something of more interest to the Maine police than the Vermont Bureau of Investigation. I applaud anyone w ...more
LJ
THE CATCH (Pol. Proc-Joe Gunther-New England-Cont) - Okay
Mayor, Archer – 19th in series
St. Martin’s Minotaur, 2008, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780312381912

First Sentence: Deputy Sheriff Brian Sleuter was looking for a better country/western station when the Toyota flew by, spraying a few roadside pebbles against the front bumper of his cruiser.

Joe Gunther and the Vermont Bureau of Investigation have been called in to assist on a drug-related cop killing. Pharmaceutical drugs are being brought in from
James
Sep 24, 2014 James rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Despite a strong opening that caught my attention - a shooting during a routine traffic stop in a remote stretch of Vermont - I quickly discovered that Mayor's police procedurals are not for me, mainly because they feel "all procedural" and nothing else really develops over the first dozen chapters. Characters, cops, agents, and criminals are introduced and hustled by to make way for more, and through the barrage I had to continually remind myself who was who, what agency was what, and how it al ...more
Ed
Aug 07, 2012 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: law-enforcement
#19 in the Joe Gunther series. Surprise development as a result of keen observation by team member Willie Kunkle.

Joe Gunther series - Vermont deputy sheriff Brian Sleuter gets shot while making a traffic stop. The video camera on Sleuter's cruiser taped the murder, so it appears to be a simple case. Since the pair that Sleuter stopped have a drug history, Joe Gunther coordinates with Immigration and Customs Enforcement in Boston. In a smash-bang arrest attempt, one suspect is killed, the other e
Ken
Apr 11, 2012 Ken rated it liked it
It is a detective novel. Not outstanding and not bad. The best aspect of the novel is the sense of place and people. I k ow many of the places described and find the descriptions to be comfortable. If you want to read about New England this book will make you feel like a native. If you want a great mystery, you may want to look elsewhere. The story moves the characters are believable and everything isn't wrapped in a bow at the end so I felt I got my money's and time worth from the book. It just ...more
Margaret
Aug 30, 2009 Margaret rated it liked it
A solid additon to a mystery, "police procedural" series set in Vermont and featuring Joe Gunther. I've read this series from the beginning and it's one where I'll actually buy the latest in hard cover. It took me awhile to get to this one - savoring the anticipation - and it's an enjoyable, read it in one swell foop book. If you like cop mysteries and want to get a good flavor of Vermont (also, in this book, something of Maine), then you'll like this series.
Ada Iaboni
Once again I find myself in the middle of a series. My first book from this author and my first of his series. Although not familiar with the characters, it was still an easy read. The story was not complicated and many things were resolved by sheer luck and happenings around the investigation.
I will read one or two more books from this author to get a better sense of his style and story-lines.
An easy read for a summer by the shore book.
Kate
Dec 09, 2011 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This time a deputy is shot on Route 7 south of Vergennes and the search takes Joe to the coast of Maine in hopes of finding the suspect who is involved in a drug ring. There is an interesting twist at the end. The story is light reading and there were a number of characters that I had to continually remind myself who they were. I particularly like Mayor's stories because I can get a real feel for the place as he names actual locations and captures the essence of the communities.
Jeff Dickison
What begins as a fairly good entry into this series loses steam about half-way through and plods to a very unsatisfying ending. It appears that the author is trying to tell us that life is sometimes trivial and slightly depressing. The murder which starts the book off is solved almost by accident. This could have been better.
Richard
Feb 20, 2009 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How can you live in South Central New Hampshire and not like an author who lives in Brattleboro, Vermont. I have read all of Mayor's books; he has written better books than this one but it is an entertaining mystery spiced by a developing romantic relationship and the lobster industry in Maine. Try it, and get to his other books.
Corny
Nov 03, 2008 Corny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
A better than average Joe Gunther mystery. I like them because of the setting, Vermont, NH or ME, mostly Vermont where I have spent a lot of time and know the area. The characters are interesting and Gunther himself is very real. Can be read in one day and is very entertaining although not very deep.
Nicolas
Jul 14, 2014 Nicolas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: author-pals
I was hoping to like this more than I did. An overabundance of characters and a slow moving plot took a few stars away. It got me back a little when the pieces started falling into place, but then I was dissatisfied with the reveal of the murderer. Not great, but it had a few good things too.
Luis Perez
Fiction. A police investigator looks into a state trooper’s death and subsequently stumbles across a growing drug operation, family dysfunction, law enforcement turf battles and surprising twists.

An enjoyable police mystery. Good summer read or for a cold winter's night.
Patrick
Jan 13, 2009 Patrick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This series has pretty much jumped the shark. Readable, certainly, and of more than marginal interest to me since I am working on a news story about drugs in New England, but not exactly a barn-burning read.
Wyma
Nov 02, 2008 Wyma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wyma by: janerogers63@gmail.com
The same cast of characters we've enjoyed previously added to law enforcement characters in New Hampshire and Maine. Mayor catches our attention quickly with a cop killing and layers the plot with drug dealing and lobster fishermen.
Lynne Thomas
Mar 11, 2012 Lynne Thomas rated it liked it
The least favorite "Joe Gunther"novel, I've read. The plot was all over the place, literally and figuratively. The ending didn't feel like an ending but just a stop. Here's hoping Book 20 in the series, is better reading.
Karen
Nov 16, 2008 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love Archer Mayor mysteries but this one was just OK. The drug theme and too much "law enforcement details" was a bit of a bore for my taste. This was not up to Mr.Mayor's usual page turning style. I will look forward to next year's book however!
Deborah
A police procedural where the main character has a quiet strength about him and a good guy air. A quick, easy read. This book takes place in various locations in New England and describes the scenery and people very well.
Laura Shannon
One of those mysteries that is all about police procedure. There is very little here in terms of character development. It is not poorly written, quite the contrary, but is just not my kind of mystery.
Bob
Nov 03, 2009 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story, taking place in coastal Maine, largely. The ending was not entirely satisfactory, but does reflect reality, rather than having everything tied up in a neat package.
Susan
Nov 26, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
I thought I had finished this series but there's more!! Great characters evolving in sutuations that are compelling.
Herzog
Sep 13, 2009 Herzog rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, mystery
This series is consistently enjoyable. With the advent of a new love interest for Gunther, it's taken on new vitality. I find the recurring characters of Willy and Sam appealing.
Jennifer Krider
It was ok, thé plot touches on so many characters without really getting to know them. As an audio book, I couldn't get into it.
Therese B
Mar 13, 2016 Therese B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good mystery. Well written and interesting. Based in Vermont. Cop killing and drugs.
Dennis
Feb 17, 2014 Dennis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
A murder mystery for a change
Georgette
Feb 26, 2014 Georgette rated it it was ok
Story and characters were all over the place. Confusing.
Bill
Oct 13, 2011 Bill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book just seemed to amble on with no clear direction.
  • The Talk Show Murders (Billy Blessing, #3)
  • The Night Monster (Jack Carpenter #3)
  • Massacre Pond (Mike Bowditch, #4)
  • It Happens in the Dark (Kathleen Mallory, #11)
  • Failure to Appear (J.P. Beaumont, #11)
  • Wobble to Death
  • City of Whispers
  • The Violet Hour
  • Kill Zone (Lucy Guardino FBI Thriller #3)
  • Desperate Measures (Gabriel Ash and Hazel Best, #3)
  • House Rules (Joe DeMarco, #3)
  • Caribbean Moon (Manny Williams, #1)
  • The Last Good Night
  • Disco For The Departed (Dr. Siri Paiboun, #3)
  • The Gift Shop
  • The Moonstone and The Woman in White
  • Blunt Darts (John Francis Cuddy, #1)
  • The Book of Old Houses (Home Repair is Homicide, #11)
52067
Over the years, Archer Mayor has been photographer, teacher, historian, scholarly editor, feature writer, travel writer, lab technician, political advance man, medical illustrator, newspaper writer, history researcher, publications consultant, constable, and EMT/firefighter. He is also half Argentine, speaks two languages, and has lived in several countries on two continents.

All of which makes mak
More about Archer Mayor...

Joe Gunther (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Open Season (Joe Gunther #1)
  • Borderlines (Joe Gunther #2)
  • Scent of Evil (Joe Gunther #3)
  • The Skeleton's Knee (Joe Gunther #4)
  • Fruits of the Poisonous Tree (Joe Gunther #5)
  • The Dark Root  (Joe Gunther #6)
  • The Ragman's Memory (Joe Gunther #7)
  • Bellows Falls (Joe Gunther #8)
  • The Disposable Man (Joe Gunther #9)
  • Occam's Razor (Joe Gunther #10)