Start by marking “That Loving Feeling” as Want to Read:
That Loving Feeling

That Loving Feeling

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  530 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
A wonderfully wise romantic comedy about the ones we love and the one that got away...

Juliet Joyce has been happily married for twenty-five years. But with two grown-up children who treat the house like a hotel, a seventy-year-old mother who's just moved in and a father who's announced he's gay it's hardly surprising that her relationship with her husband Rick is beginning
Published 2009 by Headline Review

To ask other readers questions about That Loving Feeling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Loving Feeling

Best Crime Books & More
Oct 29, 2015 Best Crime Books & More rated it it was amazing
What can I say? I have to be totally honest and say that whilst reading this book I embarrassed myself on numerous occasions by actually laughing out loud whilst on the train. This book was an absolute joy to read. I am a huge fan of the series the Chocolate Lovers and found that I was comparing each book to that series. This book needed no comparison.

Juliet Joyce is a typical married mother of two. Her husband Rick along with their two children in their late teens Tom and Chloe, live in a regul
Juliana Graham
Nov 06, 2014 Juliana Graham rated it it was ok
This book was really annoying! I imagine that when an author begins a book they sit down and make a big list of potential plot lines that the could include. Carole Matthews did this, but then forgot that she was supposed to narrow the number of plot lines down to a reasonable number. Any 3 or 4 of the subjects covered would have been enough to fill a book but Carole genuinely had about 10!

(view spoiler)
Gail
Dec 04, 2012 Gail rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I haven't read any of Carole's books before but I saw a review which likened her to my beloved Marian Keyes so I thought it give it a whirl.

It's definitely not on the scale of Marian's witty writing, but there were some extremely funny laugh out loud moments, and on the whole I liked the book and the characters. It is easy reading and one which I did in a couple of days.

I am just about to start reading the sequel, With Love At Christmas, to get me in the festive spirit and hope its as good as t
Alison Winter
Feb 25, 2015 Alison Winter rated it it was amazing
This book started off a bit slow but it just got better and beter as I read further into it. The story had some very funny twists and turns that pretty much kept you always wanting to read one more page to see what happens next.
Theresa
Dec 08, 2012 Theresa rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book i didn't relise at first that the characters in this book are the same as the one's in with love at christmas so i knew diferent things from that book to this book so it ruined it a bit should of read this book first i enjoyed the characters wasn't keen on stacey but she grew on me. Would read more from carole matthews.
Bev Taylor
Aug 16, 2015 Bev Taylor rated it really liked it
ok, this is one of those books that really stretch the imagination - it is not possibe for all these things to happen in one family ....

a husband who is arrested for dogging, assaulting a lap dancer and indecency in a public place

a teenage daughter who gets a job as a nude lap dancer

a son who is one minute gay and the next straight

a mother who is 16-64

and juliet? the man who jilted her tat he altar over 2 decades ago is now back on the scene #

if i was her i would tell him to get lost in no
Beadyjan
Feb 24, 2015 Beadyjan rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Lovely romance, with characters I can relate to and believe in, gently humorous yet very credible and entertaining.
Leah
Sep 16, 2009 Leah rated it really liked it
Juliet and Rick Joyce have been married for 25 years but they feel as if the spark is burning out.

Not only that but Juliet’s mother and father have just separated and her mother has decided she wants to live with the Joyce’s; Juliet & Rick’s two children are beyond spoilt; and Juliet’s father has announced he’s gay.

Throw in Steven Aubrey, the man who jilted Juliet at the altar 26 years ago, and there’s bound to be trouble.

As with all of Carole’s books the writing alternates between first per
Esther
Jul 26, 2011 Esther rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
The first book of the genre “chick lit” for me. Not sure it’s my favorite genre, though. This is a book about “an ordinary English family” with “ordinary problems” in their daily lives. Ideally, you should be in your forties, married with children and enjoy British humor to fully appreciate the story.

What I liked a lot about Carole Matthews’ style is her really easy, entertaining way to describe even the most annoying problems in marriage and family life. You find yourself in the middle of the m
Agi
Dec 01, 2012 Agi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
I didn't know that this book is the first in the series about Juliet and Rick and had a kind of deja vu feeling and though, what the hell, am I reading the same book ubder other title, but I guess reading the same author over and over again just does this to you:)
Nevertheless, it is again a heart - warming, funny book, a book that makes you laugh out loud and cry and this is really what I'm looking for in a book.
Every time that I though, well, nothing more can happen, the Joyces have already sp
Anna
Mar 14, 2010 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, a trifle unrealistic with the amount of happenings, but all the characters are well written & I read it in a couple of days.

Amazon blurb:

Juliet Joyce has been happily married for twenty-five years. But with two grown-up children who treat the house like a hotel, a seventy-year-old mother who’s just moved in and a father who’s announced he’s gay it’s hardly surprising that her relationship with her hu
Verity Wolfe
Aug 07, 2015 Verity Wolfe rated it it was ok
Wow!! This book is like a summer season on Hollyoaks. There is way too many plot lines, each getting more ridiculous than the last. Not before one drama is delt with, another is thrown in and the last is forgotten.

On top of the crazy crazy plot lines, I just could not stand most of the characters. They were just awful.
Karen
Jan 10, 2010 Karen rated it liked it
I’ve read all of her books and they make for very easy reading, this one was no exception. Quite amusing, with lots of her usual witty one liners although the plot was a bit predictable in places and sometimes a bit too slapstick - you could just see the plotline coming over the hill towards you! The main character Juliet is a librarian, a very likeable but mixed up person and her husband Rick has the best of the line liners - his antics lead you to think 'oh no, not again'! A good part of the s ...more
Shona Hudghton
Mar 09, 2016 Shona Hudghton rated it liked it
Worth a read . Very fast moving story , enjoyed it very much but felt , for a beginner , story flitted about to much .... Interested in reading more of the authors stuff.

Well written however and allows you to look deep in to all the family and goings on
Emma Clark
Predictable plot and was a bit boring. I found the characters annoying and I wanted the main characters to stand up for themselves and stop letting people walk over them. They got what they wanted through luck, not through them controlling the situation.
Heather Mooney
May 10, 2014 Heather Mooney rated it did not like it
i tried 3 times to read this book and just could not get into it which is weird as I normally like carole Matthews books
Colleen
Oct 29, 2015 Colleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: carole-matthews
A good example of that old saying. "You don't know what you have / had until you lose / Lost it"
Margaret Galbraith
Apr 30, 2016 Margaret Galbraith rated it really liked it
Once again not my usual type of book but I really enjoyed it. A good easy read. Typical family life is suburbia where everyone knows each other and she's a librarian! Took me a while to finish but that was due to being sick
Heather
Jan 01, 2015 Heather rated it it was ok
There was too much going on in this book. I didn't like it. I'm about to give up on Carole Matthews. She lacks focus and feels the need to drag out the endings to her books.
Alexandra
Jul 27, 2013 Alexandra rated it really liked it
Finished this book now, the ending was lovely and am so glad that things worked out for the better for Juliet and Ricky! + Stacey Lovejoy will always be a true friend unlike Una (personally, I didn't like her anyway!) Well done to Carole Matthews, even though it is not one of my fave's of her's, it is still well worth a good review! Cannot wait until I read another one of Carole's Classic's!
Carinya Kappler
Feb 08, 2013 Carinya Kappler rated it it was ok
The mid-life, teenage, geriatric crises that beset the heroine Juliet as she enters her 25th year of marriage to dependable Rick are slightly more than could be swallowed by a very gullible reader. Despite this, the family story with all its catastrophes, rumbles on in a vaguely interesting manner and presents the reader with an acceptably happy ending.
A good light holiday read.
Carinya
Freda Landers
Apr 28, 2015 Freda Landers rated it it was amazing
Loved it almost felt part of the book lol :)
Gina Carluccio
Apr 08, 2015 Gina Carluccio rated it it was amazing
Loved it!! I can't put down Carols books once I start reading them. I've finally found an author that I love! Never get tired of reading her books.
Danielle
Nov 15, 2014 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another brilliant book by Carole Matthews. I'm a massive fan of her books and have loved al of the ones I've read.

This book was no exception as it kept me gripped right up until the end page.

Can't wait to read her next book.
Katja
Jun 11, 2015 Katja rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014, chick-lit
This is maybe the worst book I've read from Carole Matthews. It was boring, nothing seemed to happen and the characters were really annoying. I read to page 194, then I gave up and just flicked through rest of the book.
Lisa
Apr 09, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
enjoyed this one more than i thought i would. packed with funny happenings, serious situations on which to consider, and allways something going on whenever i opened the book. a fun page turner.
Danbob89
Dec 15, 2013 Danbob89 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this! The short chapters made it so easy to fall in love with all the characters! Although it is cheesy at times we all love a happy ending
Poppie Tee
Lovely, family chaos, there is nothing like it. Can't live with it and neither can we do without it.
Kat
Dec 19, 2012 Kat rated it it was ok
I liked it the writing and would of enjoyed more if I hadn't read with love at Christmas first.
Sheri
Feb 04, 2012 Sheri rated it really liked it
I always love her books and this one was great. May even be one of my favs!
  • Hens Reunited
  • Wish Upon A Star
  • Making Hay (Honeycote, #2)
  • 10 Reasons Not to Fall in Love
  • Midsummer Magic
  • The Secret Life Of Evie Hamilton
  • An Autumn Crush
120535
Carole Matthews is an international bestselling author of hugely successful romantic comedy novels. Her unique sense of humour has won her legions of fans and critical acclaim all over the world.

A Minor Indiscretion and A Compromising Position both reached the Top 5 in the Sunday Times bestseller chart in the UK. You Drive Me Crazy reached number 8 in the original fiction charts. The novel Welcom
More about Carole Matthews...