Start by marking “A Short Guide to Writing about History” as Want to Read:
A Short Guide to Writing about History

A Short Guide to Writing about History

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  5 reviews
An ideal supplement in any history course that requires writing, A Short Guide to Writing About History stresses thinking and writing like an historian. This engaging and practical text helps students get beyond merely compiling dates and facts; it teaches them how to incorporate their own ideas into their papers and to tell a story about history that interests them and th ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Longman Publishing Group (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about A Short Guide to Writing about History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Short Guide to Writing about History

David Withun
This book is an excellent guide for people who are either new to or trying to improve their skills in researching and writing about history. It includes information on discriminating between sources, proper annotations, proper writing styles, and much more. There is also a very good bibliography at the end of the book with many further resources by excellent historians. If you want to research and write about history, this book is a great place to get started with developing the skills you need.
Brent McCulley
This book actually really helped me throughout the last couple years of my undergraduate coursework, as it gave me vital information to allow me to strengthen my class papers, and write detailed, focused, and descriptive theses. Not a bad idea for someone pursuing a BA in history to pick this one up.
Brent McCulley (10/24/13)
Meric S.
A practical introductory guide mainly for history students, but most of the advice is valuable for anyone interested in improving their academic writing skills.
Jessie
Nov 11, 2009 Jessie rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone working on a history degree
Recommended to Jessie by: class professor
I had to read this book for my masters and it laid out the process of writing a historical research paper clearly and simply which I appreciated.
Karl
a required book for class, wahoo!! It is helpfull at times, no not really they just made me pay $25 for it.
Nicole
Paul S. Teague
Paul S. Teague marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Short Guide to Writing about History, A, with New Mycomplab -- Access Card Package Short Guide to Writing about History 7th (seventh) edition Text Only A Short Guide to Writing about History with MyWritingLab Access Card Package Practical Imagination, The: The German Sciences of State in the Nineteenth Century