Start by marking “Some Sunny Day” as Want to Read:
Some Sunny Day

Some Sunny Day

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The remarkable autobiography of the last great wartime icon.

Born Vera Welch on 20 March, 1917 in the East End of London, Dame Vera Lynn’s career was set from an early age - along with her father, who also did a ‘turn’, she sang in Working Men’s Clubs from just seven years old. She had a successful radio career with Joe Loss and Charlie Kunz in the 1920s and ‘30s, but it wa
Published August 20th 2009 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Some Sunny Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Sunny Day

Madisson
Delightful. I felt as if she was telling me her life story over tea and cakes.
Lacie
What a history. Dame Vera was a brave woman who saw a lot, experienced a lot, and contributed a lot to history. I love her music, and I loved reading her story.
Danielle
Ok, my nan gave me this book to pass to my godmother. However I thought I might read it before passing it on.

This type of book didn't appeal to me at first but, I shocked myself as I read the first couple of pages I was hooked and struggled to put it down as it was so good.

Ok for some of you are probably wondering who Dame Vera Lynn is like I did, Well she used to sing to the army and this is an extrodinary autobiography. The story takes us through the changing popular music scene in Britain i
Joy
Sometimes it's the little things that counts and when you look back they were big things to the people you have come across with. That's what this woman did during the war. She made a difference through her music. It wasn't easy during her time but she did it anyway. What an inspiring woman!
Becky
Aug 02, 2012 Becky marked it as to-read
Currently reading: Vera is one of my favourite singers, so I HAD to get this book and know her story. I'm not at all interested in the war, just want to know her story. I really like her as a person and in her 90's she is a very happy, friendly and outgoing person. I'm astounded! I'm a little concerned about what I may read I may find disturbing or if I will get through this and still be interested, as in only 19, not 70. So I hope I can get through it alright
PastAllReason
Dame Vera Lynn's autobiography is interesting in her description of her childhood, growing up as a child performer in a working class family. It is moving in her description of her war-time tour travelling through Gibraltar, Egypt, and then on eastward through Iraq and Burma as she performed for the troops. What is somewhat puzzling to me is her notable hard to miss failure to address the War's end.
Penny Linsenmayer
The post-WWII section dragged, mainly I suppose because her career never took off after those Golden Years. I enjoyed the WWII section the most, but I also was not aware of her special relationship with the Queen Mum. I also thought she had some poignant thoughts back on her life and accomplishments in the last chapter.
Nina
This book really didnt match my expectations. In places I was bored, especially in the post war period.
I also had to roll my eyes when she kept saying 'its not like nowadays'
or 'not like children today' etc etc
I really didnt enjoy reading her stereotyped and presumptuous attitude to this group of people.
Nicki
I did enjoy reading about Vera Lynn. All I really new about her was that she was the 'forces sweetheart' during WW2. this a fascinating account of her life before and after the war.
Robin Fox
It's certainly worth a read, and Dame Vera certainly has a story to tell, but this is a book which will appeal far more to the more mature reader
Aug 11, 2013 Laura marked it as to-read
Oh my word. How did I not know this existed?
Callie MacLachlan
Callie MacLachlan marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Aika Hitachiin
Aika Hitachiin marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Samantha Glasser
Samantha Glasser marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Karen Morgan
Karen Morgan marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Lesley
Lesley marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Amanda Cain
Amanda Cain marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Ian Hallam
Ian Hallam marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Unsung Heroines: Complete & Unabridged: Women Who Won The War Voices Of The Poppies A Re-enactor's War: The Home Front Revisited and Remembered