Scars on the Face of God: The Devil's Bible

Scars on the Face of God: The Devil's Bible

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  33 reviews
"Scars on the Face of God is a brilliant novel. Congratulations on hitting one out of the park, Chris." -Jonathan Maberry, multiple Bram Stoker Award winner "C. G. Bauer writes with passion and intensity, tackling the mysteries of faith and fear. Hotter than the flames of hell." -Scott Nicholson, author of Scattered Ashes Hex signs protect every barn and outbuilding. The l...more
Published November 1st 2009 by Drollerie Press (first published 2008)

Maria Violante
I hate most first person narratives. I mean, I'm a grammar junkie and a style stick-up-my-assist, and first person POV means you're going to get a character that talks like a real person, warts and all. Plus, they're really hard to do right - characters are forever using metaphors and comparisons that don't make sense, using words in a register they wouldn't use, etc. So when it's done right, I often don't like it - and when it's wrong, I want to go on kitten-punching spree.

Scars on the Face of...more
Tammy Sparks
Scars on the Face of God was originally published by Drollerie Press in 2008. It is now available as an e-book, which is lucky for us, because hopefully more people will have the chance to read this well-crafted, atmospheric and completely engaging horror story.

Scars takes place in 1964 when Wump, our feisty main character, is 65 years old and living a fairly quiet life as a church handy-man in the small town of Three Bridges, PA. Quiet that is, until an accident at a construction site reveals t...more
C.G. Bauer has written a tale that is a little bit horror, a little bit mystery, a little bit surprise, a little bit history lesson. That is the simplest way I can think to describe 'Scars'. It took me a bit to get past the first 5 chapters but then after that I couldn't stop reading! I was sucked in. The story is written in Wump's point of view, which I loved. I felt like I knew him and couldn't help but feel bad for the hard knocks he had endured through his life. Being abandoned and having to...more
Wendi
This is one of those books where I did that thing where I build something up to be so incredible that when I finally get to read it (or watch it or hear it depending on the media) I've managed to set myself up to be let down. When I first heard of this book, it was only available electronically and I'm not in the market for a Kindle. Fortunately, they make Kindle for iPhone/iTouch so I loaded it up on my Touch. Unfortunately, Amazon.com's records indicated that I did not own a Kindle so they cou...more
Romancing the Book
As a lover of books, reading, and technology, you would think I would have been an e-book reader for long time. That has not been the case with me. I want to feel the pages in my hand. I want to be able to lie in bed and read until I fall asleep. Well, for the first time I have read a book completely in digital format.

C.G. Bauer was kind enough to send me a copy of his e-book for review. Despite my protest of reading a book in its entirety on my laptop, I started reading this one.

What I found is...more
Scars on the Face of God: The Devil's Bible is a pacey urban fantasy/horror novel set in a village north-east of Philadelphia. Bauer expertly builds suspense with unsettling supernatural occurrences and drip feeds enough clues to keep the reader engrossed in the scandalous past and present of Three Bridges, formerly known as Schuetten.

The residents live in the shadow of the Volkheimer legacy and the Catholic church. A host of unwanted secrets bubble under the surface of the narrative. More spec...more
Jim Brennan
Scars on the Face of God is a chilling turn-of-the-20th Century mystery set in blue-collar Three Bridges, a town of German immigrants outside Philadelphia. Author Chris Bauer wastes no time getting the suspense going with hundreds of infant bodies surfacing in sewer pipes that dump into the Wissaquessing River. Wump, a maintenance worker who grew up in the local orphanage, begins to snoop around. What unfolds is a terrifying tale of an order of religious and church gone wrong.
Bauer places the re...more
Lori
Review copy from author

I have wanted to read this book for a long, long time. I spent uncountable hours searcheing bookstore shelves, library sales, used book sales... all for nothing. It seemed like this book and I were just not meant to be.

Until, on a whim, I reached out to it's author and asked for a copy to review here on the blog. A huge thank you must go out to C.G. Bauer for suppling me with a copy of his elusive novel!

Initally set in Pennsylvania at the turn of the century, two young boy...more
Jessica Buike
Every town has its secrets, and Schuetten, PA (later renamed Three Bridges) is no different. From infanticide to all out war between the forces of good and evil, this book explores the darkness that is residing over this small town.

While the end of the book was good, I was completely lost and confused for the entire first half of the book. The story jumped from topic to topic, and I almost gave up on the book completely because it just didn't make sense. Even when some of it started to click, ot...more
Sonja Arlow
2 1/2 stars

The story was part historical fiction, part horror and part murder mystery and started of great telling the story from the viewpoint of the church curator who tried his best to show that the cancer and birth defects of the town people is caused by the poisoned water of the town.

And when an underwater drainpipe eventually burst hundreds of baby skeletons floated out….All seemingly male infants… Eerie right? The pace of the book was slow but good with just enough odd and weird things t...more
M.L. Roos
Engaging theme, brilliant story, wonderfully written and a pleasure to get lost in. What an amazing tale! This is one book that you must read. And what makes it even better is that this one will cross many genre's; horror, historical fiction, drama, supernatural and more.

The beauty in this book is the horror is there but it is so subtle, so ethereal, so nebulous, you can almost miss it, but it weaves it's icy fingers throughout its pages and into your thoughts. Each chapter brings out a little m...more
Carmen
A dark, paranormal story of evil lurking in a catholic community is narrated by Wump, the old caretaker at the parish orphanage, in a matter of fact way that makes the tale even more poignant.

The past and the present collide when a wall collapses during construction revealing the broken skeletons of several infants in the Pennsylvania town of Three Bridges where Wump grew up as an orphan. The finding stirs long forgotten memories which telling alternates with the account of current events in thi...more
Book Dragon
This is one strange book. Book Dragon has not yet figured out exactly what the hell possessed her to agree to read it—but that didn’t stop her.

Mr. Bauer has created a strange and compelling tale about The Devil’s Bible (this is an actual religious relic with a very interesting history). The story pulls no punches in the way it addresses environmental, political, and religious bullshit. The story is told from the viewpoint of a man nicknamed Wump who has a very down-to-earth, easygoing voice. For...more
Angela
If you like your horror old-school, with a hint of Rosemary’s Baby and a side helping of Omen, you’ll probably groove for this. I quite liked the dual-layer story involving our protagonist both as a boy and as an old man who must root out the nasty cause of why settlers in Three Bridges, Pennsylvania used to murder their babies–and why his parish’s own bishop seems to be batting for the other team. Four stars.
Scoats
I really liked this one, well right up to the end. It's a Rosemary's Baby sort of story (but not) set in 1965 and 1913. The characters and the unfolding of the plot are masterful. It was a great read.

While I didn't really care for the ending, I don't see how this book could have ended any other way.

I highly recommend this book.
Thomas Pluck
A good read and a good debut novel. It has a gripping premise and some very enjoyable characters, plus a setting - suburban Pennsylvania- that I did not expect to find so engrossing. The payoff isn't as powerful as the first few rounds, but this is an enjoyable read for lovers of Biblical horror like the Exorcist and the Omen.
Kathleen Dunham
Loved it completely!!!!

I have to say I did decided to get out of "spite".... Of course I was interested, but it was a certain review that rub me the wrong way and that made me get it! I am so glad I did!!!
I finished reading this book about 3wks ago & I still think about it periodically, obviously I loved it!!!! This is absolutely one of the Best Novels I have ever read & I have read many!! Almost all different genres of fiction.
I applaud the author in his writing capability. To writ...more
Marie
C.G. Bauer is amazing. This book has it all: the eerie mood, the gripping story, the beautiful imagery and fascinating, yet terrifying moments. It all centers around the Devil's Bible, which really exists. Writing is stellar. Don't miss this.
Marie
Caty Sue
It was great, dark, secretive small town old...i wasnt sure if i was going to like this book at first, but i enjoyed it very much
Benjamin
Absolutely great book!! Well on par with anything that Stephen King has wrote. Highly recommended.
Tisha
I read the book and read it straight through without the trouble others have expressed. I thought the author had a slow start and it was hard to relate to the characters, initially, as the book jumped around quite a bit and I felt like an outsider looking in, rather than someone right in the middle of the action. Still, there was something, hard to identify, that kept me involved and reading. At one point, I came very close to deleting it from my Kindle because the same old, re-hashed, Big Bad C...more
C. G. (Chris)
Jun 07, 2009 C. G. (Chris) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I liked it a lot.
Heather Faville
Technically 4.5 stars, but rounding up because it's worthy.

Like a good character driven story? One with lots and backstory and so many twists and turns you aren't sure if you're coming or going? Then you will enjoy Scars on the Face of God: The Devil's Bible. The story takes place through the eyes of Wump (Ever wonder what the sound is a tire iron makes hitting a human skull? Now you know) Wump has had a hard life and he's tired, he tries his best to be a good man to make up for his past wrong...more
Jessica Bronder
Three Bridges, PA was started back in the 1900’s by a group of German Catholics and has many secrets that are about to come out. It is 1960 and the story revolves around Wump. His life started out in the local orphanage and took a turn for the worse with a bad attitude as a young man. He is older now with a family. He can see different things going on in town, but does his best to be a good man and help the orphanage he came from. But he has recently lost a baby son and lost his faith.

At the sam...more
Home. Love. Books.
To see this review and more like it please check out my site www.ufreviews.com

This book was a really surprising read, and if you ask me to tell you why I found it so surprising I'm not sure I could put it completely into words. But what I can say is the following, it's well written, makes you think, and is written in a manner that is very realistic.

I think one of the harder things to do as an author is to be able to get a reader to engage with a character, and of course you have to do this wit...more
Kayleigh
"Wump", in case you didn't know, is the noise a crowbar makes when it hits a man's head. It's also the nickname of the protagonist in C.G Bauer's fantastic novel Scars on the Face of God: The Devil's Bible for that exact reason. Wump (or Mr Holzer if you'd prefer) had a troubled childhood which lead to a violent adulthood, ultimately landing him in jail. That's his past, and it haunts him, just as the true meaning of his nickname constantly follows him where ever he turns.

Wump isn't the only per...more
iamjenai
I started and stopped reading this book a number of times and I can't really get past the first quarter of the book. The book moves at a slow pace and neither the plot nor the characters held my attention. I never liked the main character, Wump and even Father Duncan, the local priest. The story is too "wordy" for my taste even the description for each character is too long which I thought too boring to read. The book just didn't work for me.
Michael J. Toro
Horrific murder mystery that drifts from the subtly intriguing to the deliriously paranormal to the jarringly anthropomorphic; a contrived denouement to an otherwise nicely crafted novel. However, since the storyline involves a Battle of Good versus Evil, I suppose such a denouement was inevitable and a standard deus ex machina was to be expected.
Christina
I just couldn't really get into this book. If you are going to tackle such a known villain as the one in this book, you should make sure you have the writing chops to really strike fear into the reader's heart. I just found myself not connecting with any characters and not enjoying the dragging storyline. eh.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Solstice List: Best Horror Stories and Books I Have Read 2012 1 2 Dec 22, 2012 09:38AM
crappy shorts: number two (crappy shorts, #2) crappy shorts: skid marks (crappy shorts, #1) Shroud 11: The Quarterly Journal of Dark Fiction and Art