High Noon in the Cold War: Kennedy, Krushchev, and the Cuban Missile Crisis

High Noon in the Cold War: Kennedy, Krushchev, and the Cuban Missile Crisis

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  10 reviews
One of the giants of American journalism now re-creates an unforgettable time–in which the whole world feared extinction. High Noon in the Cold War captures the Cuban Missile Crisis in a new light, from inside the hearts and minds of the famous men who provoked and, in the nick of time, resolved the confrontation.

Using his personal memories of covering the conflict, and ga...more
Published September 27th 2005 by Presidio Press (first published January 1st 2004)

Steve
I really enjoyed this perspective on the Cuban Missile Crisis. Most tellings of the story (at least American tellings) pose Khrushchev as a bellicose instigator, perfectly willing to take the world into a nuclear war to demonstrate his strength to the West. In these versions, Kennedy is the levelheaded sage, guiding the brilliant men of his executive committee through intricate diplomatic maneuvers to outfox the wily old Russian and defuse the crisis. The world came to the very brink of nuclear...more
Sooz
this is not an overly long or onerous read, and it does have information that has come to light in recent years. you'll learn interesting bits of information like how the Kennedy inner circle made a secret deal with Khrushchev and lied -straight faced, boldly lied- when asked pointblank about it. but what it all boils down to is one simple statement:

"For the roots of crises, look to powerful men feeling vulnerable and underestimated.'

that my friends, sums the whoooole thing up in a nutshell ......more
Erich
Mar 30, 2014 Erich rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2007
The best part has to be when the Soviet Ambassador Gromyko is lying to Kennedy and Kennedy pretends to believe him.
Bev
Oct 03, 2008 Bev rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: History lovers
Great book about the Cuban Missile crisis, the Kennedys and Khrushchev. Having been very young during this time it was interesting to realize how much I remembered. How lucky we were that Kennedy and Khushchev knew what was at stake and were more interested in perserving the world then destroying it, even though they came close. What came to my mind while I was reading this book, and especially when I was done, good thing this didn't happen with our current President in office, where would we be...more
Chris Johnson
In this book Mr. Frankel gives a great explanation of the Cuban Missile Crisis, not only by explaining it in easy to understand terms but also by giving his readers an overview of the event as well as the causes and the effects. A really easy read and I rather enjoyed it. Highly recommended for anyone who is interested in the Cuban Missile Crisis or the Kennedy Presidency.
Chris
A good read, very informative. Excellent detail on Kennedy's and Kruschev's perspectives and motivations, as well as political drivers throughout the timeframe. Frankel fails to include the perspective of the public, however. He also fails to communicate the feeling of intense drama that people - both politician and citizens - were feeling during these events.
Caroline
I was never one for American history after, say, 1865. Lately I've read a lot of 20th century history, international relations, diplomacy, American intervention abroad . . . It's fascinating. Case in point: Cuban Missile Crisis. This book explains it all, in language anyone can understand.
Heather
Jul 30, 2007 Heather rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: history buffs
Shelves: politics, school
I did a critical review of this book for my US History class. It can be dry at points, but overall it was interesting and detailed yet easy to follow. Come to think of it, maybe I'll post the review here when I get home.
Dev
A tense read of the intentions and mis-intentions of both countries at the run-up to the first real serious threat of nuclear war
George
A Must Read book about the Cuban Missile Crisis of October 1962. Portions of this book should be read in High School.
Iman
Iman is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2014
Jen
Jen is currently reading it
Apr 03, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Mike Oliver
Mike Oliver marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Luis L
Luis L marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Huggishunter
Huggishunter marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Dan Skeen
Dan Skeen marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
Jim
Jim added it
Dec 25, 2013
JuJuBee
JuJuBee marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Mike Templeton
Mike Templeton marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2013
Surrealistdreams
Surrealistdreams marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Times of My Life and My Life with the Times September 11, 2001 The Times of My Life and My Life with the Times I Live in Israel: A Text and Activity Book Rights in Conflict: Convention Week in Chicago, 8/25-29/1968: A Report