Start by marking “The Sherlock Holmes Handbook” as Want to Read:
The Sherlock Holmes Handbook

The Sherlock Holmes Handbook

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  474 ratings  ·  47 reviews
“My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don’t know.”

This reader’s companion to the casework of Sherlock Holmes explores the methodology of the world’s most famous consulting detective. From analyzing fingerprints and decoding ciphers to creating disguises and faking one’s own death, readers will learn how Holmes solved his most celebrated
Published September 1st 2009 by Quirk Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Sherlock Holmes Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sherlock Holmes Handbook

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom RiggsWilliam Shakespeare's Star Wars by Ian DoescherHollow City by Ransom RiggsWilliam Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back by Ian DoescherWilliam Shakespeare's The Jedi Doth Return by Ian Doescher
Quirk Books
21st out of 50 books — 46 voters
The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienBud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul CurtisThe Boy Who Flew With Eagles by Ben WoodardDirt Bikes, Drones, and Other Ways to Fly by Conrad WesselhoeftSelling Hope by Kristin O'Donnell Tubb
Books for Boys - Middle School
30th out of 38 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Molly
Now I know how to fake my own death. Heh. Heh.
Jonathan
While many ardent Sherlock Holmes fans may find this as a book containing little new information, it is still worthwhile to read as a work of nonfiction. This book contains details on life in Sherlock Holmes' London, Scotland Yard, the police and some fascinating information on the various methods by which Holmes solved his cases.

I'm almost tempted to go out and buy a deerstalker hat (actually Holmes never had a deerstalker hmmm), smoke three pipes for difficult life problems and get myself a l
Lisa
What a fun little book! Part how-to, part summary of Holmesiana, this book contains tips for detection bolstered by examples from the Holmes canon, as well as a slew of interesting factoids about the time period and the possible inspirations for Holmes (and Moriarty), and quotes from Holmes and Watson on a variety of topics. Now that I'm done, I want to go back and re-read the original Holmes adventures.
Alexa
Jan 03, 2013 Alexa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sherlock enthusiasts, detective fans
Shelves: favourites
This was a fantastic, casual, and quick read. It was difficult to understand the organization of the topics covered in the book, but this did not harm the flow of the book at all; it instead provided a great element of surprise.

Fun fact: Ransom Riggs actually met the editor of this book through a chain of acquaintances, which started with John Green!
Annie
This book is more of a compilation of Sherlock Holmes' adventures where he applied certain skills, rather than a handbook on how to develop those skills. For example, there is a section on disguises with a short guidance on seeing yourself as playing a role and then selecting the outfit to go with it. The rest of the section then describes incidents where Holmes had donned disguises so effectively that he even fooled Dr. Watson on several occasions. There are also sections about the life of Sir ...more
Todd
An excellent primer on the critical thinking skills of Sherlock Holmes. How he was able to deduce or discover how each of the crimes were committed. Each chapter details the methods Holmes would use to help him learn things and how he made those discoveries in detail by presenting those actions or thought schemas work in finding details in the minutae.

This is a pretty spiffy primer on how to be able to deduce with logic and knowledge how crimes have been committed both on paper and in real worl
Tac Anderson
This was an enjoyable read. I really enjoyed the added context about Victorian England and other real world facts that are relevant to the stories. A lot of the "advice" given in the book is based on one or two anecdotes from the stories and are superficial at best, but still interesting. Still a good read for a fan of Doyle's work.
Aoife
Good thing about this book: The cover is really pretty

Bad thing about this book: I've no idea at whom this book is aimed.
For someone who is new to Sherlock Holmes the books contain certainly some interesting information about him and give a good overview but they also contain spoilers for many stories (and I don't mean only 'The final Problem')
For someone who already knows the stories the book doesn't really offer anything new. It has only superficial information about the stories and quite a lo
Alicea
The Sherlock Holmes Handbook is a step-by-step instructional manual on how anyone can mold themselves into a consulting detective just like Arthur Conan Doyle's creation. More than that, Riggs provides the reader with trivia, factoids, and beautiful drawings of the detective in action. This book is excellent for anyone whether they're just being introduced to the famous detective or if they've been a diehard fan for many years. It's always fun to revisit old friends and bone up on the tricks of ...more
Mike Hogan
A useful summary of Sherlock Holmes' characteristics and expertise. Among many other useful skills, we learn how to crack a safe, how to outwit a criminal mastermind, how to survive a plunge over a waterfall and how to raise bees. Item four on Mr Rigg's list of necessary steps for success in the last pastime is - Procure some bees.
Sherlock's equivocal relationship with women is examined, and the author gives cogent advice, in a ponderous tongue in cheek style, on how to manage siblings and child
Spencerharte27
The book shows a lot of Sherlock Holmes Achievements and how he does them. It has various things for each thing it covers. The book also talks about some of Sherlocks stories and how it links to some of the things the book tells you how to do.
Bulent
İlginç bir kitap. Sherlock Holmes'ün yaşadığı çağda olup bitenleri, onun yaşama, olaylar, insanlara bakışı hakkında kolay okunan bir metin kaleme almış yazar.
Holmesseverler için bire bir.
Becky
4.5 stars. Definitely worth checking out. It's very fitting that the piece of paper I picked out of my TBR jar to read after this said: Sherlock Holmes. The Sign of Four here I come. =D
Grace Jensen
Oct 08, 2013 Grace Jensen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Holmes fans
Recommended to Grace by: Saw it, had to have it
I bought this at Barnes and Noble, just being a cute little compendium to Sherlock Holmes. It's small in size, and you don't get a whole lot about cases, it's more like facts about why some things would be accurate (and where in the canon it's cited) and factoids about Victorian England.
I enjoyed it, it was a fun read. I put little tabs for The Hound of the Baskervilles to take to book club.
When I got to the back, I saw the author was a Mental Floss blogger and was assisted by John Green (who al
Donna Zigmont
I was really excited to read this book because I'm a huge Sherlock Holmes fan.With that being said I must admit I was rather disappointed.The book really just taught you how to be more observant and how to guess if someone is lying to you.I was expecting something more exciting than this.I guess I will keep looking.
Lara
This was a pretty general media tie in to the original canon, but it had a lot of good information on Doyle's world for those who might be overwhelmed by just jumping in to the body of work. It also had interesting information on the Victorian era in general, such as what types of fire arms were in style and how opium dens were really run and the like. It's not a research book, but a good bit of inspiration for people interested in the time period.
Michael
This is a great little book of Holmesian trivia and techniques: a sort of How-to-be-Sherlock-Holmes manual. Sadly, it cannot give one a genetic predisposition to deductive genius!

Light-hearted and fairly slight, it should nevertheless be a fun read for both the Holmes enthusiast and the general reader.

Oh, and the particular hardback edition I have on my shelf is nicely put together, which adds to the overall bibliophilic experience.
Gemma
If ever you want to look at the methods of Sherlock Holmes to determine how one would go about interpreting them, then this is the book for you.
From handling children, dealing with royalty and staging a dramatic entrance, this book is full of hints and tips to follow, all of which are taken from the Holmes stories.

A unique look at the techniques Holmes employs in each of the stories, and one that happily compliments.
A must read for Holmes fans.
Joanna
I am going to repeat what another reviewer said and say, "Who is this written for?" It is a bit too superficial for people who know the canon well, but it spoils everything as if you should know everything already. I kinda felt, why am I reading this? It is beautiful, though, and entertaining enough for me to finish it. I thought it would be more like those silly "How to Survive A..." books. Oh well.
Delores Thomas
I enjoyed this analysis of Sherlock's approach to crime solving and the writer's guides on how to be like him. It is cute and shows how the CSI's have developed from this view of crime and criminals. Many of the things they do now Sherlock was doing to the best of his available technology. It was a fun read.
Erin BookNut
I expected to like this handbook even more than the Jane Austen Handbook that I read previous. Strangely, this was not the case at all. The Jane Austen one was much more engaging than this one, even though of the two topic choices I would prefer Sherlock. I still enjoyed this handbook, but not as much.
Jessie
This was a great little book for those who want an intro into the "Sherlock" universe. I preferred the sections with historical perspectives versus the “how-to” sections which are common sense now but revolutionary when the Holmes’ books were written. The best part is the appendix section.
Pam
Oct 22, 2013 Pam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sherlock Holmes fans
The Sherlock Holmes Handbook will be a sure hit with Sherlock Holmes fans, especially young adult fans. The author uses an example of some Sherlock Holmes story in each chapter to discuss a skill the detective uses, for example, how to decipher a secret code or to fake your own death. Fun reading!
Catherine Thompson
I liked this much better than A Brief History of Sherlock Holmes. Written rather tongue-in-cheek, The Sherlock Holmes Handbook gives the reader lessons in being the great detective. Included are essays on crime-solving, faking one's death, and how to deal with women and children.
Ami_Ven
I've read a bunch of these fictional-type handbooks, and this one was just as good as any other. It's a brief overview of some of Holmes's techniques and skills, along with a bit about the period. Best read AFTER finishing the original mysteries, or the endings of some might be spoiled.
Amber
I actually enjoyed this book. The only downside to it (that I could tell) was that the author seems to skim through the topics fairly quickly. There's not much in-depth discussion. However, it's light-hearted and enjoyable. A good book overall.
Beth
Any Holmes fan needs to read this. It's a super fun read and I really enjoyed it. It was awesome to delve deeper into a world I already love and learn about the times and life of people who lived in them. I will definitely reread this.
Chana
Quick read and made me want more than anything to go back and re-read Sherlock Holmes! I would have like it to focus on fewer topics and then to go into more detail on those specific chosen ideas.
Ashley
It is very difficult to find things about Sherlock Holmes that I do not already know, but this book did that in a highly entertaining way. Plus, the author's name is awesome. :)
Ipek
Sherlok Holmes hakkında güzel bir derleme. Kitabın kapağından sayfa kalınlığına, tatmin edici.
Detaylar güzel, ben beğendim.
Keşke filmin 3.sü de olsa
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Stalwart Companions
  • The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • Sherlock Holmes in America
  • Sherlock's Home: The Empty House
  • The Disappearance of Sherlock Holmes
  • Kissing Sherlock Holmes
  • The Secret Cases of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Unauthorized Biography
  • Sherlock Holmes for Dummies
  • The Man Who Created Sherlock Holmes: The Life and Times of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • The Science of Sherlock Holmes: From Baskerville Hall to the Valley of Fear, the Real Forensics Behind the Great Detective's Greatest Cases
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Man From Hell
  • The Crimes of Dr. Watson
  • The Oriental Casebook of Sherlock Holmes
  • Gaslight Arcanum: Uncanny Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes and Philosophy: The Footprints of a Gigantic Mind
  • The Breath of God (Sherlock Holmes)
I grew up in Florida, went to Kenyon College in Ohio, then film school at USC in LA, where I still live. I write books and screenplays, blog daily for mentalfloss.com, and make short films.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is my first novel. I'm really excited about it -- it was challenging and rewarding and I hope people like it. If you read that and like the found photographs in it, y
More about Ransom Riggs...
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1) Hollow City (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #2) Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children: The Graphic Novel Talking Pictures: Images and Messages Rescued from the Past  Strange Geographies