Start by marking “The Sherlock Holmes Handbook” as Want to Read:
The Sherlock Holmes Handbook

The Sherlock Holmes Handbook

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  679 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
“My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don’t know.”

This reader’s companion to the casework of Sherlock Holmes explores the methodology of the world’s most famous consulting detective. From analyzing fingerprints and decoding ciphers to creating disguises and faking one’s own death, readers will learn how Holmes solved his most celebrated
Published September 1st 2009 by Quirk Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Sherlock Holmes Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sherlock Holmes Handbook

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom RiggsWilliam Shakespeare's Star Wars by Ian DoescherHollow City by Ransom RiggsHorrorstör by Grady HendrixWilliam Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back by Ian Doescher
Quirk Books
31st out of 65 books — 67 voters
Little Bee by Chris CleaveThe House Girl by Tara ConklinThe Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson WalkerLies We Tell Ourselves by Robin TalleyThe Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu
Profiles in Silhouette
68th out of 119 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Molly
Apr 20, 2010 Molly rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Now I know how to fake my own death. Heh. Heh.
Jonathan
While many ardent Sherlock Holmes fans may find this as a book containing little new information, it is still worthwhile to read as a work of nonfiction. This book contains details on life in Sherlock Holmes' London, Scotland Yard, the police and some fascinating information on the various methods by which Holmes solved his cases.

I'm almost tempted to go out and buy a deerstalker hat (actually Holmes never had a deerstalker hmmm), smoke three pipes for difficult life problems and get myself a l
Judy Abbott
Aug 31, 2015 Judy Abbott rated it it was ok
Eğlenceli yerleri var kesinlikle, kasa nasıl açılır; sahte ölümünüzü nasıl planlarsınız; şelaleden düşünce hayatta kalmanın püf noktaları; ayakizi kalıbı nasıl alırsınız vs. Bunun dışında Viktorya dönemi ve Sherlock Holmes hikayeleri hakkında ince bilgiler veriyor.
Lisa
Mar 26, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
What a fun little book! Part how-to, part summary of Holmesiana, this book contains tips for detection bolstered by examples from the Holmes canon, as well as a slew of interesting factoids about the time period and the possible inspirations for Holmes (and Moriarty), and quotes from Holmes and Watson on a variety of topics. Now that I'm done, I want to go back and re-read the original Holmes adventures.
Alexa
Jan 03, 2013 Alexa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sherlock enthusiasts, detective fans
Shelves: favourites
This was a fantastic, casual, and quick read. It was difficult to understand the organization of the topics covered in the book, but this did not harm the flow of the book at all; it instead provided a great element of surprise.

Fun fact: Ransom Riggs actually met the editor of this book through a chain of acquaintances, which started with John Green!
Annie
Feb 13, 2014 Annie rated it liked it
This book is more of a compilation of Sherlock Holmes' adventures where he applied certain skills, rather than a handbook on how to develop those skills. For example, there is a section on disguises with a short guidance on seeing yourself as playing a role and then selecting the outfit to go with it. The rest of the section then describes incidents where Holmes had donned disguises so effectively that he even fooled Dr. Watson on several occasions. There are also sections about the life of Sir ...more
Todd
An excellent primer on the critical thinking skills of Sherlock Holmes. How he was able to deduce or discover how each of the crimes were committed. Each chapter details the methods Holmes would use to help him learn things and how he made those discoveries in detail by presenting those actions or thought schemas work in finding details in the minutae.

This is a pretty spiffy primer on how to be able to deduce with logic and knowledge how crimes have been committed both on paper and in real worl
Brenda Ayala
May 01, 2016 Brenda Ayala rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-con-2015
The Sherlock Holmes Handbook seems kind of useless truthfully. There's a good chance that if you're reading it, you're already a fan of Sherlock Holmes. If you're already a fan of Sherlock Holmes, there's a good chance you have read many of the stories or have watched TV or movie adaptations of those stories. If you have read the stories or watched the adaptations, you will not see anything new in here. This is literally just all information you can get just from watching an episode of your chos ...more
Tac Anderson
Jul 03, 2014 Tac Anderson rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable read. I really enjoyed the added context about Victorian England and other real world facts that are relevant to the stories. A lot of the "advice" given in the book is based on one or two anecdotes from the stories and are superficial at best, but still interesting. Still a good read for a fan of Doyle's work.
Aoife
Good thing about this book: The cover is really pretty

Bad thing about this book: I've no idea at whom this book is aimed.
For someone who is new to Sherlock Holmes the books contain certainly some interesting information about him and give a good overview but they also contain spoilers for many stories (and I don't mean only 'The final Problem')
For someone who already knows the stories the book doesn't really offer anything new. It has only superficial information about the stories and quite a lo
Stacy Fetters
Jun 16, 2015 Stacy Fetters rated it really liked it
Shelves: roro
Always expect the element of surprise...

I now know how to solve the mystery of my own fake death, interrogate myself and fight myself with a sword.

Yes, in that order exactly!
Courtney P
May 19, 2015 Courtney P rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Eh this was a little bit serious and a little bit hilarious at the same time. I found myself thinking "no sh*t Sherlock* to a great deal of it. But I did enjoy the quotes from the book and the historical bits throughout.
Linda
Feb 05, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it
After checking this book out to do research on Victorian detective methods, I was pleasantly surprised to see so much Victorian history. Did you know there was a movement to outlaw women's underwear that weighed more than seven pounds? Can you even imagine wearing ten pounds of underwear? Victorian women must have been bullet-proof. Ranson Riggs' book has all kinds of amusing trivia about that era. Who knew that Far Eastern martial arts were popular in Victorian England? All kinds of interesting ...more
Alicea
Nov 06, 2014 Alicea rated it really liked it
The Sherlock Holmes Handbook is a step-by-step instructional manual on how anyone can mold themselves into a consulting detective just like Arthur Conan Doyle's creation. More than that, Riggs provides the reader with trivia, factoids, and beautiful drawings of the detective in action. This book is excellent for anyone whether they're just being introduced to the famous detective or if they've been a diehard fan for many years. It's always fun to revisit old friends and bone up on the tricks of ...more
Thắng
Mar 30, 2016 Thắng rated it it was ok
It's not a good book, especially for a Sherlock Holmes fan. Even though there were some helpful information for guiding you to become a detective, it showed that the author knows little a bout Sherlock Holmes. Most details in the book can easily be listed by a Sherlockian, and the book also contains numerous mistakes that can't be accepted by a Sherlockian too. Many details are related to the wrong story, also even the story was named right, the author can have several mistakes. For instant, the ...more
Mike Hogan
Oct 12, 2012 Mike Hogan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sherlock-holmes
A useful summary of Sherlock Holmes' characteristics and expertise. Among many other useful skills, we learn how to crack a safe, how to outwit a criminal mastermind, how to survive a plunge over a waterfall and how to raise bees. Item four on Mr Rigg's list of necessary steps for success in the last pastime is - Procure some bees.
Sherlock's equivocal relationship with women is examined, and the author gives cogent advice, in a ponderous tongue in cheek style, on how to manage siblings and child
Spencerharte27
Nov 11, 2014 Spencerharte27 rated it really liked it
The book shows a lot of Sherlock Holmes Achievements and how he does them. It has various things for each thing it covers. The book also talks about some of Sherlocks stories and how it links to some of the things the book tells you how to do.
Tracy
Jun 15, 2015 Tracy rated it really liked it
Definitely not a page-turner, but interesting and fun all the same. I loved the illustrations as much as the writing, and I'm a fan of Ransom Riggs, not just for his awesome name. He has a way of turning information on its head in a way most people couldn't conceive to do.

Packed with good-to-know trivia arranged by innovative subjects like "How to Make a Dramatic Entrance." There's enough plot material here to make the book essential to any aspiring writer. At first I was worried the information
Omer KANARGI
Henüz hiç Sherlock Holmes kitabı okumamış olanlara Sherlock Holmes serisini okumaya başlatacak, okuması zevkli bir kitap.. Kısa bölümler halinde olduğu için elinize ara sıra alıp düşük bir hızda okuyabilir, hatta aynı sıralarda bununla beraber başka kitaplar da okuyabilirsiniz.

Arthur Conan Doyle: "Holmes konusunda o kadar çok doz aşımına uğradım ki ona karşı hislerim bir keresinde çok fazla yediğim kaz ciğeri ezmesine olanlara benzedi ve artık ismi bende bir mide bulantısı yaratıyor… Bu beyefend
Tucker
Jun 20, 2015 Tucker rated it really liked it
Recommended to Tucker by: Craig Gurchinoff
Shelves: finished
A pleasingly obsessive, well organized breakdown of the character and antics of Sherlock Holmes, a fictional person believed by some to be very nearly real.
Becky
Mar 07, 2014 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
4.5 stars. Definitely worth checking out. It's very fitting that the piece of paper I picked out of my TBR jar to read after this said: Sherlock Holmes. The Sign of Four here I come. =D
Grace Jensen
Oct 08, 2013 Grace Jensen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Holmes fans
Recommended to Grace by: Saw it, had to have it
I bought this at Barnes and Noble, just being a cute little compendium to Sherlock Holmes. It's small in size, and you don't get a whole lot about cases, it's more like facts about why some things would be accurate (and where in the canon it's cited) and factoids about Victorian England.
I enjoyed it, it was a fun read. I put little tabs for The Hound of the Baskervilles to take to book club.
When I got to the back, I saw the author was a Mental Floss blogger and was assisted by John Green (who al
Donna Zigmont
Jan 13, 2014 Donna Zigmont rated it it was ok
I was really excited to read this book because I'm a huge Sherlock Holmes fan.With that being said I must admit I was rather disappointed.The book really just taught you how to be more observant and how to guess if someone is lying to you.I was expecting something more exciting than this.I guess I will keep looking.
Jessica Christian
Mar 09, 2016 Jessica Christian rated it liked it
This was just a fun read, I love Sherlock Holmes so this is a 3.75 star read
Daphne
Jan 17, 2016 Daphne rated it liked it
Full Disclosure: I've never actually read a Sherlock Holmes book... But I have seen the RDJ movies and the BBC show :)

This book had some pretty interesting things in it, and it was obvious that the author did a lot of research, but there were so many parts that were super boring and I just skipped over them.

Still, if you like Sherlock Holmes (even if you've never read the books) or if you even just like detectives, you should definitely give this book a try.
Lara
Jan 08, 2010 Lara rated it liked it
This was a pretty general media tie in to the original canon, but it had a lot of good information on Doyle's world for those who might be overwhelmed by just jumping in to the body of work. It also had interesting information on the Victorian era in general, such as what types of fire arms were in style and how opium dens were really run and the like. It's not a research book, but a good bit of inspiration for people interested in the time period.
Michael
This is a great little book of Holmesian trivia and techniques: a sort of How-to-be-Sherlock-Holmes manual. Sadly, it cannot give one a genetic predisposition to deductive genius!

Light-hearted and fairly slight, it should nevertheless be a fun read for both the Holmes enthusiast and the general reader.

Oh, and the particular hardback edition I have on my shelf is nicely put together, which adds to the overall bibliophilic experience.
Gemma
Jun 27, 2012 Gemma rated it it was amazing
If ever you want to look at the methods of Sherlock Holmes to determine how one would go about interpreting them, then this is the book for you.
From handling children, dealing with royalty and staging a dramatic entrance, this book is full of hints and tips to follow, all of which are taken from the Holmes stories.

A unique look at the techniques Holmes employs in each of the stories, and one that happily compliments.
A must read for Holmes fans.
Joanna
I am going to repeat what another reviewer said and say, "Who is this written for?" It is a bit too superficial for people who know the canon well, but it spoils everything as if you should know everything already. I kinda felt, why am I reading this? It is beautiful, though, and entertaining enough for me to finish it. I thought it would be more like those silly "How to Survive A..." books. Oh well.
Delores Thomas
May 01, 2012 Delores Thomas rated it liked it
I enjoyed this analysis of Sherlock's approach to crime solving and the writer's guides on how to be like him. It is cute and shows how the CSI's have developed from this view of crime and criminals. Many of the things they do now Sherlock was doing to the best of his available technology. It was a fun read.
  • The Lost Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Secret Notebooks of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Man Who Created Sherlock Holmes: The Life and Times of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes and Philosophy: The Footprints of a Gigantic Mind
  • The Disappearance of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes in America
  • Victorian Undead II: Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula
  • My Sherlock Holmes: Untold Stories of the Great Detective
  • The Shadows of Sherlock Holmes (Wordsworth Collection)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • Night Watch: A Long-Lost Adventure in Which Sherlock Holmes Meets Father Brown
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Stalwart Companions
  • Sherlock Holmes for Dummies
  • Sherlock's Home: The Empty House
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Unauthorized Biography
  • Gaslight Arcanum: Uncanny Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes, Volume III: The Novels
I grew up in Florida, went to Kenyon College in Ohio, then film school at USC in LA, where I still live. I write books and screenplays, blog daily for mentalfloss.com, and make short films.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is my first novel. I'm really excited about it -- it was challenging and rewarding and I hope people like it. If you read that and like the found photographs in it, y
More about Ransom Riggs...