Darkest Hour (Heartland, #13)

Darkest Hour (Heartland #13)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  1,257 ratings  ·  21 reviews
A fierce flu strain is infecting Heartland's horses, and, despite Amy and Ty's fervent efforts to treat and isolate those infected, the flu spreads to other horses and the vet quarantines Heartland. To make matters worse, the late summer heat heightens the tension. Ben is frustrated when Red starts to exhibit flu symptoms because their show season will be cut short. Ty thi...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Turtleback Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Darkest Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkest Hour

Charlotte
I loved the book, I love reading about horses so this book was very interesting to me. There is a lot of bad things that happen and good things so there's quite bit of drama which makes the book more exciting.I would recommend it to someone who enjoys reading about horses and the country life. I wanted to keep reading it to finish it because it was so exciting and it made you just want to keep on reading it. The emotions that i had were sad because of horses that come to heartland that have bee...more
Amanda
This book had very well developed, flawed characters, with a true sense of what the characters were feeling... for the most part. As an experienced horse-person, I was a little disappointed by the lack of realism of certain portions of the equine encounters in this book - in real life, training a horse is NEVER that simple, straight-forward or easy. But, it was a quick read and worth the 2 or so hours I put into it. Even though this book is near the end of the series, the characters are introduc...more
Amber
aaawwweeesssooommmeee!!!:]]]
Amber Harrison
And another one. Although this one has a huge catastrophe in it (or rather even two), I still don’t have much to say on the matter. This used to be one of my favourites because it was so full of action.

(view spoiler)...more
Kayleigh
Book Review: Heartland, Darkest Hour
Do you wish to learn to let your horse trust you again? Do you wish that your horse’s scar of the past can be healed?
Well heartland is where the place where you learn all those. They do their work with kindness .Not force; in this book, an equine flu is infecting heartland’s horses. The main character Amy and the stable hands Ben and Ty try to keep it from spreading. They tried to separate the oldest and youngest horses-the ones with weaker immune systems-but...more
Kate
As if Amy's schedule wasn't busy enough, several of Heartland's horses have come down with equine flu. Amy and Ty are working around the clock to quarantine the sick horses in the back barn. Ben is upset because this means he can't compete with Red for several weeks. In the midst of the illness, Amy visits Daniel and Storm, and Daniel kisses her. Now Amy is confused, but before she can talk to Ty about it, a tornado hits Heartland.

I raced through this book hoping that everything would turn out o...more
Marie
The Heartland books are a fun read, and they’re pretty quick to get through for me. You get your horses and your heartache from Heartland. These books are pretty steady, all continuing the story of Amy, Lou, Ty, Jack and the assorted horses.
The writing and subject matter are obviously intended for children, and can be a bit clunky at times for individuals with a higher reading level.
Since there isn't a lot to say, this review is similar to past reviews of this series. I recommend this series t...more
Sophie
Absolut das beste Buch der Reihe <3 Obwohl die eigentlicg alle toll sind. :)
Elise
I have to say, the last few books in the series have definitely taken on some more difficult and darker topics, not just in the horse themes but with the characters as well. This installment in the series is definitely more than a little tragic, and ends on a bit of a cliffhanger. But it features an appearance from Ty's mom, and I do love the stories that develop his character more.
Jodi
I wasn't crazy over this book. Toward the end it got better and more interesting. And whatever happened to Ty? Did he come out of his coma? No offense, but these characters in the book sounds like they lead boring lives living on a horse ranch taking care of horses.
Emily Bailey
Another Heartland book! I'm enjoying re-reading the series; I haven't read through the entire thing at one time since I read them all the first time through. This book adds more drama to the series - the "what if?" questions about a character not being in the story get answered.
Bethany
Mar 21, 2012 Bethany rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horse Lovers
Recommended to Bethany by: my best friend recommended the series to me but not this book!!
Shelves: heartland
I found this book really good, I read other reviews and had to buy the one after this as well!! I read this in a whole night as I couldn't find a good place to stop and put it down!!! I love the series and thought this book was really good!!!!
Audra
I had no idea this was a series until now. I got this one for the kids and am currently reading it to them and they love it I may have to get the rest and read them as well!

This was a great book about love, loyalty, tragidy and self -growth.
Maria
all of the books usually start great then theirs and obstacle or prolbem that they solve. I thought the books were oky but i hate that so many bad things happen in the sstory . But that does not take away from the series being great.
Cale_Steps
Good to pass time. Can be interesting/exciting-but def. for horse freaks!
Idunsses
My favorite horse-series when I was a child. Loved these books!
Sushi
It was very good. I wonder if there is any sequel?
Jessica
May 12, 2013 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jessica by: me
See first book in the series for a full review.
Makenzie
I loved this book! Very good but short.
Katharina
very sad but good!!
Laura added it
Sep 20, 2014
Simone
Simone marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Sarah added it
Sep 18, 2014
Nancy J
Nancy J marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
heartland 1 9 Nov 09, 2007 09:20AM
  • Dark Sunshine (Phantom Stallion, #3)
  • Glory in Danger (Thoroughbred, #16)
Lauren Brooke grew up in a ranch in Virginia and now lives in Leicestershire, England. Her husband is a veterinarian who specializes in horses. Her books have been published by Scholastic since Mid-2000, starting with the first book of the Heartland book series. The first book of her popular Chestnut Hill series was published in 2005.

According to an interview on scholastics' website, Lauren Brooke...more
More about Lauren Brooke...
Coming Home (Heartland, #1) After the Storm (Heartland, #2) Breaking Free (Heartland, #3) Taking Chances (Heartland, #4) Come What May (Heartland, #5)