Start by marking “The Great Global Warming Blunder: How Mother Nature Fooled the World's Top Climate Scientists” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
The Great Global Warming Blunder unveils new evidence from major scientific findings that explode the conventional wisdom on climate change and reshape the global warming debate as we know it. Roy W. Spencer, a former senior NASA climatologist, reveals how climate researchers have mistaken cause and effect when analyzing cloud behavior and have been duped by Mother Nature ...more
Published April 13th 2010 by Encounter Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Global Warming Blunder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Global Warming Blunder

Stephen
Jul 19, 2010 Stephen rated it it was amazing
Could it be that cloud cover over the oceans most notably the pacific ocean that is causing the... climate change? And not man made carbon dioxide? That is the major question that the author asks. A very thought provoking book.
"I think we have much more to fear from natural climate change than from anthropogenic (man made) change, and that is just as worthy of study."
"Why did temperatures rise so rapidly before 1940 even though so little carbon dioxide had been emitted by then? And why did a
Jared
Dec 17, 2012 Jared rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
The book presents some good theories for natural causes of global warming that intuitively make sense. Dr. Spencer believes that many scientists have mistaken cause and effect in climate, particularly with regard to clouds. He also demonstrates how the IPCC's mandate is more to research anthropogenic warming vice natural warming.

Dr. Spencer provides links to his own published papers. His desire is not so much to solve the debate as to properly frame it in the realm of science (by be willing to
Kenneth Petersen
May 06, 2010 Kenneth Petersen rated it it was amazing
I got the book on 5/1/10 and just read it continuously. The subtitle says it all "How Mother Nature fooled the World's top climate scientits." He does an outstanding job of making a complex subject understandable. He is one of the most level headed of the scientists who has also written the best selling "Climate Confusion."
Andrew Alan
Jun 15, 2013 Andrew Alan rated it did not like it
Pure junk science thoroughly debunked point by point here:
Spencer is exposed as a crank and a fraud.
David R.
Mar 22, 2011 David R. rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, politics
Fascinating insights on the role of clouds and the Pacific Decadal Oscillation in climate change. Can be a bit repetitive but adds to the ongoing discussion.
Matthew
Dec 09, 2012 Matthew rated it really liked it
A lot of the content of this book went over my head, but the main points are discernable for anyone.
Randy Evans
Aug 09, 2015 Randy Evans rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Green "Save the Planet" movement is a noble one for sure. So many are trying so hard to the right thing that they have taken their devotion of this great cause to what many would describe as "a religious level" and like someone great once said "The greatest harm done is sometimes done by those with the best intentions" or something like that.
Dr. Roy W. Spencer (a former Senior Scientist for Climate Studies at NASA) explains how he believes as many others do that Climate like pretty much eve
Joel Arnold
Jan 09, 2012 Joel Arnold rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book because it acquainted me more with the major issues of the debate. Occasionally, he does start to sound a little "Glenn Beckish" to borrow another reviewer's observation.

To summarize the basic idea:
1) The scientific establishment has assumed global warming under pressure from government grants, and suppressed anyone who disagrees.
2) The historical evidence does not support a hockey stick—actually there has been a series of changes in both directions, even within the 2
Ianw19
Apr 26, 2013 Ianw19 rated it it was amazing
This is an extremely important book that ought to be read by everyone interested in the science and politics of climate change. Overall, I think Spencer did a good job explicating key concepts and arguments. But I'd like to summarize his main ideas in such a way that I personally feel is even clearer. Of course, I will not thoroughly explain every piece of the argument, since that would require me to essentially re-write the whole book. But here is the overall thrust of the argument:

1) "Sensitiv
Jerry
Jan 02, 2012 Jerry rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Implementing CO2 regulations will drive up the cost of virtually everything. Dr. Spencer has evidence that the impact of CO2 on climate change may be small compared to natural processes. If this is the case, the climate change policies would be a catastrophic missallocation of resources with unforeseen consequences.
The IPCC largely ignored the possibility of natural, internally generated causes with time periods longer than ten years. They also largely ignored the Medieval Warm Period and the L
Semicheme
Jul 03, 2011 Semicheme rated it liked it
Spencer does a good job of presenting a case for at least one alternate explanation for Global Warming -- The natural variation of cloud cover. However, his math and analysis is rather simplistic and potentially makes the same kinds of errors as he accuses Climate Modelers of making. Let's face it, the climate is an extremely complex and interrelated system. Climate Science is in it's infancy and we are just starting to be able even to observe some of the signals, not to mention to understand ho ...more
Robert
Jun 04, 2012 Robert rated it it was ok
While it's a very interesting and readable book, the author specifically criticizes Climate Scientists for trusting their incomplete numerical models, then counters their findings with an even less comprehensive analysis.

Boldly stating that "established wisdom" is flawed, and that an alternative explanation is vastly superior, will certainly attract readers. Unfortunately, however, if you are claiming to be more knowledgeable on a subject than the recognised experts, you have to be able to back
Matthew Devine
Oct 23, 2015 Matthew Devine rated it it was ok
What started out as an okay/plausible premise quickly morphed. The over simplified arguments became hyperbolic and childish. In fact I firmly believed at some point I would read the words "Well, they didn't let me play so now I'm telling."

Further he seem rather defensive about the fossil fuel industry, which ultimately is a moot point as we edge nearer to peak oil and gas.

So really, I'm more disappointed that a potential good opposing point got clouded in bad arguments and self delusion.
Michael
Nov 22, 2010 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The sad thing about this book is I agree with the author about the possible causes of global warming. I agreed even before I read this book, and he does a good job explaining his theories. The problem I have is he's angry and pushes some other agenda. I'm reading along and all of the sudden I hear Glen Beck's voice in my head, and the author's credibility drop several noches.
Carolyn
A rise in temperature precedes a rise in CO2. So why do Al Gore, IPCC et al. say CO2 causes warming? Why have they not investigated possible natural causes for warming, but rather just assumed warming is anthropogenic? The author is a climatologist and monitor of a NASA satellite who disagrees with the climate doomsayers and explains why in fairly simple terms.
Clarissa
Jun 08, 2010 Clarissa rated it really liked it
The author is a little petulant, and his calculations are not as easy to follow as he seems to think. But it was worth the read and worth some thought.
Ashley
Jan 14, 2011 Ashley marked it as to-read
Hmm, not sure what to think about this one, but I say it's impossible to critique the chef until you tasted the food. New perspective. Pushing the mind.
Andy May
Andy May rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2016
Pat
Pat is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2016
William M. Greenslade
William M. Greenslade rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Sharon Williams
Sharon Williams rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
Evil Evan
Evil Evan rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Artur Chworostowski
Artur Chworostowski rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Tom Serdinak
Tom Serdinak rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Tamara
Tamara added it
Jan 17, 2016
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Kylw
Kylw marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Marta
Marta marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Arthur Gardner
Arthur Gardner is currently reading it
Dec 27, 2015
Rach
Rach marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Roy W. Spencer received his Ph.D. in meteorology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1981. Before becoming a Principal Research Scientist at the University of Alabama in Huntsville in 2001, he was a Senior Scientist for Climate Studies at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center, where he and Dr. John Christy received NASA’s Exceptional Scientific Achievement Medal for their global temperature mo ...more
More about Roy W. Spencer...