Start by marking “Under the Snow” as Want to Read:

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  56 reviews

When snow falls, we love to sled and skate and have snowball fights. But at the end of the day, we go home where it is warm and safe. What about all those animals out there in the forests and fields? What do they do when snow blankets the ground? Journey from your neighborhood to the woods, where ladybugs crowd together in a gap in the stone wall and a chipmunk snoozes in

Published September 1st 2009 by Peachtree Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Under the Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under the Snow

Dinosaur Eggs and Blue Ribbons by Barnas G MonteithSaving the Ghost of the Mountain by Sy MontgomeryAnatomy & Physiology Part 1 by April Chloe TerrazasThere Were Dinosaurs Everywhere! by Howard TemperleyAnimal Tracks and Signs by Jinny Johnson
Children's Non-fiction Science
61st out of 98 books — 18 voters
Over and Under the Snow by Kate MessnerWaiting for Winter by Sebastian MeschenmoserThe Mitten by Jan BrettOwl Moon by Jane YolenLost and Found by Oliver Jeffers
Picture Books About Snow Animals
81st out of 109 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
May 07, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children who are interested in the natural world, especially how animals survive winter
Recommended to Lisa by: Luann
This book is an impressive accomplishment.

It tells about different habitats in winter and how the animals survive when the ground is covered with snow. It’s fascinating. It can be enjoyed by the youngest child, because though it is packed with information, it manages to give that information with very few words.

The watercolor paintings are of high quality and they’re very beautiful.

I thoroughly enjoyed both the information and the art, and I learned some things I didn’t know, and in a complete
Apr 27, 2010 Luann rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Luann by: JLG
Did you ever think about where ladybugs go during the winter? Or centipedes? Or bumblebees? Of course we all know that bears and many other animals hibernate, but Melissa Stewart shows a wide variety of animals "under the snow" during the winter in several habitats: in a field, in a forest, on a pond, and in a wetland. Constance Bergum's very nice illustrations show the animals under the snow and also what is happening above, such as people ice skating on the pond and a deer foraging at a bush. ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I learned something from this one. Frogs can freeze solid and still live! Little did I know how much activity is going on under the snow and ice. Stewart shows the reader who is sleeping or moving around under leaves, brush piles, bushes covered with snow, under ponds, in logs, and in many other places. The illustrations are clear and colorful. Pair this with Jennifer Berry Jones' Who Lives in the Snow. Highly recommended, especially for children who live in snowy climes.
Evelyn Mauldin
Under the Snow is a book that could be used during many different units of study. The author discusses different animals and the habits during the winter, with an emphasis on insects. This book would also be useful if the class was studying the changes in seasons, or cold weather specifically. Stewart provides many engagement opportunities by illustrating activity that many children don't see, since we generally live above the snow. Young children will find it very interesting to learn about all ...more
Stewart, Melissa, and Constance Rummel Bergum. Under the Snow. Atlanta: Peachtree, 2009. Print. Ages 8-12. Under the Snow is a great example of how the different seasons, especially winter is depicted and shown and talked about in this book. This is a book about how snow comes in many different ways and can be under many different things. This is a good example when teaching the season of winter. This book wasn't my favorite, but personally I could relate a lot to it, because of the fact that wh ...more
Rosa Cline
If you have home school children or just children you want to help teach a little 'science' to. This is a very nicely written and illustrated book. Teaching just as the title states what is 'under the snow' talking about various animals from woodland animals, to grassland ones etc. My 2 year old granddaughter really enjoyed listening as did my teen age special needs son. It's simple but not 'too simple' and leaves room for you (if you wanted) to use the information on the page to expand with you ...more
Patricia Kemp Blackmon
Under the snow! Have you ever wondered where all the critters go when there is snow on the ground and trees? Well this book has some wonderful illustrations and explanations as to where some of those critters go under a blanket of snow for the winter.

For instance the author says:

"Under the snow lies a hidden world."

A wood frog nestles in scattered leaves on the forest floor. It can freeze solid and still survive.
Buried in the mud, a frog and a turtle wait out the winter. They never move, and th
Beth Trumper
ISBN: 978-1-56145-493-8
Price: $16.95
Number of pages: 32
**** (4 stars)

Melissa Stewart writes a simple, yet engaging account of how animals live under the snow and ice. The author has degrees in both biology and science journalism, and uses her knowledge to inform and engage her audience. This picture book is broken into sections using italics for the opening sentences. The italicized beginnings repeat the tit
A great book for our Maine relatives to read. Melissa Stewart tells the reader about what animals do under the snow during the winter. Besides waiting for spring, ladybugs nestle together between rocks, a snake rests in a hole, a chipmunk sleeps in its burrow, and a turtle and frog wait in the deep mud. There are many more "wintering" animals described by the writer. There is much to learn for all ages!
This is a neat illustrated children's book that tackles the subject of what animals do in the winter. I find it interesting and the illustrations are good. I think kids wonder about this subject and it is presented in a nice format without too many words. I recommend this for preschoolers through maybe third or fourth graders. A perfect read-aloud for this subject matter.
Michele Knott
Shows what is hidden under the snow in the winter. I like how it shows many different animals, where they hibernate, and what they may need during those cold winter months. I was surprised at what some of the animals do and some of the animals that hibernate. Children will gain a lot of information about animals in winter after reading this book.
Ryan Dreier
Illustrated by Constance Bergum

This book was just okay for me, maybe I expected a little more depth in the explaination of how animals adapt to winter weather, particularly I would have like to see ants and perhaps mosquitoes. I really like the premise and the idea behind the book as the topics presented in the book would be great questions to present to children to get them thinking about nature and the changing of the seasons. The book didn't talk about birds and how some birds migrate, so I t
Apr 15, 2014 Meghan added it
Shelves: nonfiction
Under the Snow talks about all of the animals that are living under the snow during the winter. It shows how these animals are resting for the winter. The pictures also help describe what the animal looks like and what they are doing in the winter. This could be a great book to use in the winter months to discuss animals.
Recently my daughter and I have stumbled up on Melissa Stewart's fantastic and informative non-fiction picture books for kids and ordered several from our public library. I had no clue how accomplished of an author she was until I read the dust jacket and saw " Melissa Stewart has written more than one hundred books for young people.." To which my daughter replied “wow our poor coffee table is going to get a workout.” (Since that is the temporary home of all our library checkouts.)

Katie Chadwick
Nice informational book that shows many different creatures throughout winter. When reading the author throws in additional facts about some of the creatures such as how their heart rate drops or how voles peel the bark to get food. This is a great book to discuss in science class during winter.
Jennifer Heise
Beautifully illustrated seasonal picturebook, with a few surprising notes: who knew that red-spotted newts stayed active in the water all year, but Mourning Cloak butterflies hibernate? A nice, soothing read for a winter's good-night. My six year old liked it.
Eh. The kids weren't really that interested in Under the Snow. It's not a bad book. It has nice illustrations, and the text is a decent length, and it is informative. The book does have a lot going for it, so my niece especially should have liked this book fairly well.

I think the problem here was that we don't live in an area of the country that gets much snow in the winter, so maybe that's why this book didn't really speak very loudly to the kids. Perhaps Under the Snow would be of more intere
Marissa Reyes
The text Under The Snow is a children's book that does a wonderful job explaining what animals and reptiles do to survive in the winter months which could be confusing to children at first. My favorite part of this piece of writing is the illustrations by Constance Ri Bergum because not only are they sophisticated but in a majority of the pictures the illustrator zoomed into a section of the picture to little but pertinent details that would otherwise be overlooked. Many children are visual lear ...more
Allison Fortunato
I liked this book because it talks about where some animals live during the winter. I also liked the illustrations that were used to represent the homes of the animals during the winter.
Very, very nice. Perfect for early elementary studies on winter. Descriptions of what animal life lies beneath the snow in different regions (wetlands, forests, fields) are accompanied by watercolors that go together so well one might assume the author and illustrator were either the same person or that they collaborated throughout the process. I have no idea if this is true, but the harmony here is undeniable. It's all just beautiful, and peaceful, somehow, like the snowy landscapes that open a ...more
Nevada Libert
there is a magical world under neath the snow!
Kate Narita
A week ago I woke up to a snow-covered yard. When, I opened the front door, my younger son pelted me with a snowball. By 9:00, the sun had melted the snow, but it still reminded me that soon everything will be UNDER THE SNOW. So if you have a curious child who wonders what's happening under the snow in a field, or under the snow in a forest, or under the snow on a pond, or under the snow in a wetland, be sure to check out this book.
May 06, 2010 Snorkle rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Snorkle by: Luann
I thought the concept for this book was intriguing and I wanted to see how it would portray all the animals. The story was simple, but I thought it flowed well and wasn't boring. I just wasn't super excited or enamored with the book when I read it. The illustrations were nice and I would probably recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog:
While people enjoy winter sports, animals do all sorts of different things below the ice and snow. Watercolor illustrations give readers some unique perspectives of animals in their environments. Text is simple enough to make for a good read aloud for PreK-2.
Joannie Duris
A fascinating look at the unusual ways different animals survive the winter. Find out who stays active, who barely moves, and who survives by freezing solid! That's not just snow under your boots. Soothing, lyrical text makes this a perfect bedtime story. This book will leave young explorers wondering just what else is hidden under the snow. For more winter fun, visit the author's website.
Under the Snow newts dodge and dart, bluegills circle, chipmunks snooze, and salamanders wait. Melissa Stewart poetically explores the world of winter and introduces readers to the fascinating strategies animals employ to outwit the cold. Constance R. Bergum’s wondrous watercolors provide a harmonious accompaniment. Enjoy this unique and beautiful book with some warm cocoa and a small child.
Claudia  Fett
Under the Snow is the perfect book for the first graders "Animals in Winter Unit". This beautifully illustrated book simply explains what many animals do during the winter. The animals mentioned in the book are as follows: ladybug, snake, vole, chipmunk, butterfly, centipede, bumblebee, wood frog, deer, caterpillar, salamander, woodchuck, fish, water spider, frog, turtle, beaver and newt.
Explores the hidden world under the snow: in a field, forest, pond, wetland. The reader sees animals hibernate, or slow down: the fish so still they aren't tempted by nearby food, frogs and turtles barely move in the mud, while others, like the newt, are active below the surface. Perfect picture book science book for sharing with preK-2.

pair with Kate Messner's Over and Under the Snow!
This book is great for the younger class that is learning about hibernation even though the vast majority of the animals mentioned in this story do not hibernate. It's an interesting book that will make the reader aware of just how animals survive the winter in a colder climate. A simple text and simple, beautiful panel-style illustration make reading easy and enjoyable. Nicely done.
Sam Bloom
Very cool book that shows the hidden world of animals during the winter months. While children sled and ice skate, the illustrations in this book show animals just underfoot curled up, sleeping, laying at the bottom of the lake, or even (in the case of the wood frog) freezing solid and still surviving. Excellent informational book.
  • Winter Bees & Other Poems of the Cold
  • Over and Under the Snow
  • Who Has These Feet?
  • Butterflies And Moths
  • The Animal Book: A Collection of the Fastest, Fiercest, Toughest, Cleverest, Shyest—and Most Surprising—Animals on Earth
  • Island: A Story of the Galápagos
  • Living Sunlight: How Plants Bring The Earth To Life
  • Insect Detective
  • Curious Critters
  • Frog Song
Melissa Stewart is the award-winning author of more than 150 science and nature books for children. She offers a wide range of programs for schools, libraries, nature centers, and conferences."
More about Melissa Stewart...