Start by marking “Go! More Than a Game” as Want to Read:
Go! More Than a Game

Go! More Than a Game

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Invented 2500-4000 years ago, the game of Go has enthralled hundreds of millions of people in Asia, where it is an integral part of the culture. In the West, many have learned of its pleasures, especially after the game appeared in a number of hit movies, TV series, and books, and was included on major Internet game sites. By eliciting the highest powers of rational though ...more
Paperback, Revised Edition, 188 pages
Published August 15th 2003 by Tuttle Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Go! More Than a Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Go! More Than a Game

David
Jul 07, 2012 David rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Taoists, go players
Shelves: non-fiction, gaming, go, japan
This is not just an introduction to go, though the first half of the book explains the rules and takes the beginner from 9x9 games that introduce basic concepts (a nice teaching method that is probably less overwhelming to new players than jumping right into strategy on a full-sized board) to 13x13 games, and finally to 19x19 games. There are complete examples of each, and Shotwell covers a lot of basic and intermediate theory. I did not find it enhanced my game much at my current level, but he ...more
Steve
I first tried to learn Go 25 or so years ago, but I was unable to find opponents and the English literature on it was quite limited (I even own two Go sets). A few days ago I noticed a Kindle Fire app to play Go for $4 and decided to try it again. If I can't find human opponents then I can practice against a computer; something I just couldn't do in 1985. Besides, the internet now means live opponents can be found online 24/7 anywhere in the world. Powerful PC programs also exist in the 21st cen ...more
Serge Pierro
Peter Shotwell presents a nice overview of the game of Go. Covered within are the essential elements of play, along with nicely annotated 9x9, 13x13, and 19x19 games. Also included is a the history of Go, covering the various Chinese, Japanese, and Korean players. Overall, a nice one volume book on the game of Go.
Malcolm Bastien
There were a few good points and weak points to this book.

I enjoyed how the book was supposed to be used as a sort of reference to start your go journey, and to come back to after you've grown a bit as a player. This allowed the book to spend some time on teacher the reader how to play go, and then later on in the book discuss more advanced topics of play.

The last chapter was a very interesting section on the history of go through China, Japan, and Korea. Personally history of go is something I'
S. J.
Aug 12, 2012 S. J. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People interested in learning Go
Recommended to S. by: Teacher
Shelves: history, non-fiction
*4.5 Stars*

It's been awhile since I read this, so I can't give it a detailed review. I learned a lot from this book. The short history of the game was informative though I urge readers to look into a longer introduction into this fascinating game. The book goes on to detail basic moves and work the reader up to a decent level of play. Where you go from there is up to you, but this is a great little text for either a single person wanting to learn or a group learning together.

If you've ever thou
Mathieu
It's my first Go book, and I'm a total newb, so it may not be saying much, but this has done wonders for my game. I've found the commented 9x9 games particularly eye-opening, and made the most progress to date by applying the same analysis to my own games. I can't compare it to other Go books, but in the absolute, a very useful tome indeed.
Joshua
A very good into to Go, it also explores the game's history and development, as well as its application to non-game-related ideas, like Business. I really had no idea the richness of the game's history. It just makes me like it more :). Ends with some interesting proverbs that have fairly large significance, even outside of the game itself.
Alvin
My first Go book, so I don't have much to compare it to. It was easy to follow, and I learned more than just basics. By the time I finished reading the book, I had played enough games to know what was going on...even though 99% of the time I was doing the wrong thing. I still have a lot to learn.
cook777
Dec 28, 2010 cook777 added it
Shelves: go-books
Long time since I read this and I was not new to it then. I was more interested in the back of the book. The research in the back of the book is really good. Picks up and covers a lot of ground. Your interested in more then how to play it great or you just want to learn to play the game.
Sighris
Nov 15, 2008 Sighris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who is even semi-interested in Go.
Shelves: wei-chi
A good-great book on Wei-Chi (aka Go and Baduk) for both beginners and intermediate level (20k-7k) players. Also has much interesting history about the game (and Taoism and Samurai, etc.).

I have read about 2/3rd of the book so far...
Ivy Reisner
Hard to learn from, and plum weird. Author seems to think Oda Nobunaga was running around looking for Go opponents, and only incidentally conquering Japan.
Alex
An introductory book on Go. If you don't know what Go is, read this!
Radosław Wilski
Radosław Wilski marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Ryan Chibana
Ryan Chibana is currently reading it
Dec 30, 2014
Aaron
Aaron added it
Dec 27, 2014
Iamxfc
Iamxfc marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Aleksandar
Aleksandar is currently reading it
Dec 18, 2014
Peter
Peter is currently reading it
Dec 14, 2014
Alin
Alin marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Go Basics: Concepts & Strategies for New Players Beginning Go Go Basics: Concepts & Strategies for New Players (Downloadable Media Included) Malaysian Batik: Reinventing a Tradition Winning Go: Successful Moves from the Opening to the Endgame