Start by marking “Go! More Than a Game” as Want to Read:
Go! More Than a Game

Go! More Than a Game

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  117 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Invented 2500-4000 years ago, the game of Go has enthralled hundreds of millions of people in Asia, where it is an integral part of the culture. In the West, many have learned of its pleasures, especially after the game appeared in a number of hit movies, TV series, and books, and was included on major Internet game sites. By eliciting the highest powers of rational though ...more
Paperback, Revised Edition, 188 pages
Published August 15th 2003 by Tuttle Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Go! More Than a Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Go! More Than a Game

David
Jul 07, 2012 David rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Taoists, go players
Shelves: non-fiction, japan, gaming, go
This is not just an introduction to go, though the first half of the book explains the rules and takes the beginner from 9x9 games that introduce basic concepts (a nice teaching method that is probably less overwhelming to new players than jumping right into strategy on a full-sized board) to 13x13 games, and finally to 19x19 games. There are complete examples of each, and Shotwell covers a lot of basic and intermediate theory. I did not find it enhanced my game much at my current level, but he ...more
Steve
May 03, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it
I first tried to learn Go 25 or so years ago, but I was unable to find opponents and the English literature on it was quite limited (I even own two Go sets). A few days ago I noticed a Kindle Fire app to play Go for $4 and decided to try it again. If I can't find human opponents then I can practice against a computer; something I just couldn't do in 1985. Besides, the internet now means live opponents can be found online 24/7 anywhere in the world. Powerful PC programs also exist in the 21st cen ...more
Serge Pierro
Aug 23, 2013 Serge Pierro rated it really liked it
Shelves: go
Peter Shotwell presents a nice overview of the game of Go. Covered within are the essential elements of play, along with nicely annotated 9x9, 13x13, and 19x19 games. Also included is a the history of Go, covering the various Chinese, Japanese, and Korean players. Overall, a nice one volume book on the game of Go.
Malcolm Bastien
Feb 10, 2013 Malcolm Bastien rated it liked it
There were a few good points and weak points to this book.

I enjoyed how the book was supposed to be used as a sort of reference to start your go journey, and to come back to after you've grown a bit as a player. This allowed the book to spend some time on teacher the reader how to play go, and then later on in the book discuss more advanced topics of play.

The last chapter was a very interesting section on the history of go through China, Japan, and Korea. Personally history of go is something I'
Towerwood
Jan 19, 2016 Towerwood rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The paper version of this book is probably excellent: the educational value of this book is actually quite good. Unfortunately, the Kindle version (which I'm rating here) is horrible. The diagrams are so small that I had to hold my kindle about 15 cm from my eyes to be able to read the numbers on the stones. I gave up on this way of reading after about 30% of the book.
S. J.
Aug 12, 2012 S. J. rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People interested in learning Go
Recommended to S. by: Teacher
Shelves: history, non-fiction
*4.5 Stars*

It's been awhile since I read this, so I can't give it a detailed review. I learned a lot from this book. The short history of the game was informative though I urge readers to look into a longer introduction into this fascinating game. The book goes on to detail basic moves and work the reader up to a decent level of play. Where you go from there is up to you, but this is a great little text for either a single person wanting to learn or a group learning together.

If you've ever thou
Mathieu
Apr 28, 2008 Mathieu rated it really liked it
It's my first Go book, and I'm a total newb, so it may not be saying much, but this has done wonders for my game. I've found the commented 9x9 games particularly eye-opening, and made the most progress to date by applying the same analysis to my own games. I can't compare it to other Go books, but in the absolute, a very useful tome indeed.
Joshua
Apr 24, 2008 Joshua rated it really liked it
A very good into to Go, it also explores the game's history and development, as well as its application to non-game-related ideas, like Business. I really had no idea the richness of the game's history. It just makes me like it more :). Ends with some interesting proverbs that have fairly large significance, even outside of the game itself.
Jake Losh
May 14, 2016 Jake Losh rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, games
Well-written and probably about as engaging as a game about a board game is going to be. The book tries really hard to sell Go as being some kind of physical manifestation of Taoist philosophy but falls pretty far short. Good introduction but perhaps I'm too practical to really enjoy this sort of thing.
Alvin
Apr 03, 2012 Alvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
My first Go book, so I don't have much to compare it to. It was easy to follow, and I learned more than just basics. By the time I finished reading the book, I had played enough games to know what was going on...even though 99% of the time I was doing the wrong thing. I still have a lot to learn.
cook777
Dec 28, 2010 cook777 added it
Shelves: go-books
Long time since I read this and I was not new to it then. I was more interested in the back of the book. The research in the back of the book is really good. Picks up and covers a lot of ground. Your interested in more then how to play it great or you just want to learn to play the game.
Sighris
Nov 15, 2008 Sighris rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who is even semi-interested in Go.
Shelves: wei-chi
A good-great book on Wei-Chi (aka Go and Baduk) for both beginners and intermediate level (20k-7k) players. Also has much interesting history about the game (and Taoism and Samurai, etc.).

I have read about 2/3rd of the book so far...
Ivy Reisner
Oct 22, 2011 Ivy Reisner rated it liked it
Hard to learn from, and plum weird. Author seems to think Oda Nobunaga was running around looking for Go opponents, and only incidentally conquering Japan.
Alex
Dec 03, 2008 Alex rated it it was amazing
An introductory book on Go. If you don't know what Go is, read this!
Sarah is currently reading it
May 20, 2016
George Ashworth
George Ashworth rated it really liked it
May 17, 2016
Asllearner
Asllearner marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Tim Wentz
Tim Wentz marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Jeremy Anderson
Jeremy Anderson is currently reading it
Apr 03, 2016
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Phelps
Phelps marked it as to-read
Wesley Cheong
Wesley Cheong rated it it was amazing
James Roche
James Roche marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Ronald Geerthsen
Ronald Geerthsen marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Paul Foley
Paul Foley marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Leo
Leo rated it really liked it
May 06, 2016
Simon Fenton
Simon Fenton marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Tom Kline
Tom Kline marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
  • The Way of the Moving Horse (Learn to Play Go, #2)
  • Learn to Play Go: A Master's Guide to the Ultimate Game (Learn to Play Go, #1)
  • Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go (Beginner and Elementary Go Books)
  • In the Beginning  (Elementary Go Series, #1)
  • Go for Beginners
  • Tesuji (Elementary Go Series, #3)
  • ヒカルの碁 22、打倒高永夏
  • The Immortal Game: A History of Chess, or How 32 Carved Pieces on a Board Illuminated Our Understanding of War, Art, Science and the Human Brain
  • Data Mining: Concepts and Techniques (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Data Management Systems)
  • Pokemon Fire Red & Leaf Green (Prima Official Game Guide)
  • Essential PHP Security
  • The Game Inventor's Guidebook: How to Invent and Sell Board Games, Card Games, Role-Playing Games, & Everything in Between!
  • Mindful Knitting: Inviting Contemplative Practice to the Craft

“Besides the simple logic involved in trying to find the next move, Go deals with shapes, so some scientists think the artistic power of our right brain is called in to help make decisions when we can’t read out all the possibilities (see page 160). This sets up a possible conflict between the hemispheres so that what looks or feels good to one might not be what the other thinks. Thus, besides the sheer excitement of competition and the basic inability for humans to ever be able to completely read out long sequences, this ongoing debate between the two halves of our brain can bring our emotions into play to a high degree.” 0 likes
“Play your first 100 games quickly” is an old proverb that stresses the relative unimportance of victory and defeat while you are learning how to play the game.” 0 likes