Start by marking “Black Mask Audio Magazine, Volume 1, Number 1: Classic Hard-Boiled Tales from the Original Black Mask” as Want to Read:

In the 1930s and 40s, Black Mask helped reshape the modern mystery genre with its hard-boiled detectives pioneered by the likes of Raymond Chandler. Now, the toughest of tough detectives are resurrected in sonic dramatization.
MP3 CD, 1 page
Published January 1st 2009 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Black Mask Audio Magazine, Volume 1, Number 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Mask Audio Magazine, Volume 1, Number 1

Jim
Sep 30, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it
Paul Cain is one of the best early noir authors I've ever read. His stories were perfect for this medium where talented readers & some sound effects brought 6 or 8 stories to life. They were all good, but some were just superb. Grover Gardner introduced the stories & had a part in them all. As usual, he did a great job, but all of the others were every bit as good. I'm definitely going to look for more of these.

If you're not familiar with the magazine that started in 1920, read more abou
William P.
Jun 22, 2011 William P. rated it it was amazing
I frickin' loved this. Not only is there a nice mixture of narration and full-on audio plays in this collection, but they're all done really well. It could have done with a couple more voice actors to mix it up a bit, but that's not really a valid complaint. The stories themselves are all classic hard-boiled yumminess and they're all very engaging. None of it is terribly thought-provoking, but I didn't really care because I was busy listening to people say things like "What are you doing with th ...more
Nate
May 09, 2014 Nate rated it liked it
A great variety of noir genre stories, that were written from all parts of the 1930s. I found it fascinating to get a glimpse, albeit a seedy one, of life in the 1930's. It was well read, well produced and nice, short stories.
Lil' Grogan
Mar 14, 2012 Lil' Grogan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, 2, audio-fun
Thought it would be fun to listen to something reminiscent of radio plays. The kitsch factor was worth a laugh, but started to get on my nerves as time wore on. Best of bunch were Cave's stories, not necessarily for the performances, but the punch lines. Meh.
Benjamin Thomas
Very enjoyable reproduction of old-time radio productions of crime short stories orginally published in Black Mask Magazine. Like all short story collections, some are better than others. It was great fun though to listen to the actors portray these stories from the 30's and 40's.
Alexis
Jun 16, 2016 Alexis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic audio production for a solid set of hard boiled stories: five stars.

The final story ending with the male private dick stopping his car and taking the grown woman he just rescued *across his knee and spanking her* for being just a dummy: NEGATIVE ONE MILLION STARS.
Shem
I keep trying to give Detective/Noir series a try ...

I enjoyed the Audio (Hollywood Theater of the Ear) version of this book a lot, unfortunately not the stories themselves. If this is the best of the best ... I'll pass.
Deb
Jul 29, 2013 Deb rated it liked it
I enjoyed experiencing the classics of a beginning genre. Not earthshakingly great literature, but fun. The narrators made the stories live.
James
Aug 13, 2016 James rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-2014
I borrowed this from my digital library. While fun and harmless, this isn't Dashiell Hammett, and the voice actors can onvly do so much with the material.
Yuri Rasovsky
Jan 30, 2011 Yuri Rasovsky rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Michael Trump
Michael Trump rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Nick Dupree
Nick Dupree rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2015
Tim
Tim rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2013
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2010
Nick Dertavitian
Nick Dertavitian rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2012
Lisa Connor
Lisa Connor rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2016
James Mahoney
James Mahoney rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2015
Megan Mccann
Megan Mccann rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2013
Joe Butler
Joe Butler rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2015
Hybrid
Hybrid rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2013
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2015
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2012
Ch J Loveall
Ch J Loveall rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2012
Emily
Emily rated it it was ok
Nov 05, 2016
Abra Carnahan
Abra Carnahan rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2014
James
James rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2016
Shawn
Shawn rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2012
Milantropio
Milantropio rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2010
Dreamofflight
Dreamofflight rated it it was ok
Nov 19, 2014