Oh, That I Had Wings

Oh, That I Had Wings

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Inspired by true events...

For as long as he can remember, Jack Langdon has always felt the call of destiny. Whether by listening to his Grandmother's fortunes, or from hearing the distant call of a train whistle, he has always known that fate has more in store for him...more than being just a poor man's son. In the summer of 1917 the Great War calls him away, setting him o...more
Published August 5th 2009 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Oh, That I Had Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oh, That I Had Wings

Susan
I was fortunate to win this book through the Goodreads book giveaway. The book arrived with a personal card and note from the author which was a lovely surprise!
The protagonist in Oh, That I Had Wings is Jack Langdon, and the story is primarily told from his perspective. It describes his personal journey from a young boy to married adulthood, and from his close-knit farm community to the streets of Europe.
I found the descriptions of Jack's relationships with his family very true-to-life. It was...more
Beth
I loved this book, and will be adding the other in this series, Saving Grace, to my list to read. I won this on Goodreads First Reads giveaway...what a thrill! :) The author, Sarah, included a note and signed the book...such a nice touch!

This book is an an engaging story of a man who came from a poor Virginia town, and follows him from age 10, through the WWI, his first love, a great loss, a return home...until he begins his new life as an adult. The characters are well written, and very real to...more
Cheryl
Jack Langdon is the oldest. He has two brothers and one sister. When Jack was just nine years old, he can remember his grandmother telling him that someday a very special lady will come into his life and he will be her champion. Jack has been a pillar for his family. His mother, brothers and sister depend on him. Jack is ready for a change. To escapes his family and make his way in life, Jack enlists in the military. While fighting, he gets injured. He meets a nice young, nurse but his persist w...more
Hayley
I received the book through Goodreads, which was exciting in itself, and I also received a note from Pawley, which was very kind! Although I received it early in the year, I was bogged down by my graduate work to be able to read anything for fun, so finally getting to enjoy this was a real pleasure. The plotline tracking Jack through his childhood to his marriage reminded me a lot of a male version of Jane Eyre, and I liked Pawley's way of showing his emerging character. However, that said, I fe...more
Ruth
I received this book as part of the Goodreads First Reads program.

I have to say I was completely charmed to receive a handwritten note by the author, and it was humbling to see how much it cost to send the book overseas.

It seems that most of the American war era novels I to read take place during WWII, and it was refreshing to read something that takes place during The Great War. I found the descriptions of the main character's war experiences to be easily imagined. It also helped that various...more
Laura McDonald
The prequel to Finding Grace is about Grace's big brother, Jack. Much of the story I knew already, since I read Finding Grace first. However author Pawley's enjoyable writing style kept me reading. I really enjoyed the part that is not mentioned in Finding Grace, Jack's stint in the army during WWI. I was surprised at how realistically Pawley portrayed life in the trenches, in the hospital, and on the streets of France during wartime. I slightly preferred Finding Grace over this book, however th...more
G Davila
Liked it.

I thought this was a pretty good book for the story line I don't feel the characters were fully developed but it made for an easy read.
Carol Nine
This is a book I couldn't put down! I loved the story line. I enjoyed this book very much! The author has a way of making you feel as if you are really there, not just a casual observer. She touches your emotions on every page. The characters are so real, so the book doesn't say "fiction." It could have really taken place during the war. I'm sure many people could relate to the plights of Jack and his family. It grabs your attention from the first page. I am looking forward to Sarah Pawley's nex...more
Maryann Henry
This is a book I couldn't put down! I loved the story line, and the period! The author has a way of making you feel as if you are really there, not just a casual observer. She touches your emotions on every page. The characters are so real, so the book doesn't say "fiction." It could have really taken place during the war. I'm sure many people could relate to the plights of Jack and his family. It grabs your attention from the first page. I am looking forward to Sarah Pawley's next book.
Faith
A WWI novel. It was ok, but it could have been much better. The writing was decent, but not gripping or spectacular. The plot was okay, but sometimes a bit confusing. And, as I keep finding, the editing was so-so. Not horrible like in others, but many of the typos were simple fixes that someone who isn't the author should be able to catch with a read-through.
Trudy
I am so pleased to have met The Langdons. Basically, I enjoyed the book, however the first half of the book (5 stars), was much more interesting than the latter. I think the story could have been told in fewer pages as I found myself struggling to finish it.However, I will read FINDING GRACE, which is the second book in the series.
Melly
Based early 1900's. Sarah's writing style flows and keeps you interested. I was able to set it down, but the story line keeps you wanting to pick the book back up to read. I am starting book 2 and can't wait to see where Grace finds herself. Btw, I'm a WV born and bred gal. Miss my home state and stomping grounds of Charleston!
Kelly
Started off really good, then completely non-eventful. I kept waiting for something to happen, for it to build into some type of climax, but nothing. Mostly just descriptions of how much he adored her, and how she was just wonderful, and how she adored him, and how they giggled and teased....just not my type of book I guess.
Danica
This is a book that has stuck with me for years, I have only just remembered the title to write a review. I read this through wattpad back in 2011, I really have no words for it - it is such a heartwarming book, please do read it. I am hoping to re-read this to write a proper review soon
Natalia
Read this after reading "Finding Grace". Was delighted to find more background to the frat
Book and quite satisfied I read in the order I did. I loved this story and would absolutely love to read more about life with the Langdon's in the city!
Nancy Houston Fields
Loved this story of a family in the hills of VA during WWI era. Jack is sent off to War in France and comes home a changed man to see the blatant prejudices and ignorance that he thought he had left behind.
Whitney

A decent read. Not as good and the 2nd book, Finding Grace, which i read first. It reminded me. A lot of a nicholas sparks book. It was nice to find out the back story of the langdon family.
Liz Balaam
I quite enjoyed the beginning and end of this book, although I did fine the middle a bit drawn out and boring. However, by the time I got to the end I wanted to read the sequel, so have downloaded it.
Devon

I would really give it 2.5 stars it was just an ok book. Slow starting then it picked up and was a good read. Different small things annoyed me about the book.
Kerry
it was ok - I was waiting for something that didn't happen. nice enough story, just not the best writing I've ever encountered.
Kaye
don't think anyone used the term "uptight" back in 1920. More like 1 1/2* rating. Don't bother with sequel.
Sharon
Enjoyable read. Looking forward to reading Finding Grace to see how her story continues.
Mo
set during WW I. prequel to Saving Grace.
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Miss D
Miss D added it
Aug 25, 2014
  • Beyond All Price
  • On Sparrow Hill (The Oak Leaves #2)
  • Griselda Takes Flight (Bright's Pond #3)
  • The Fox
  • The End of Innocence
  • The Light Horseman's Daughter
  • All My Love, Detrick
  • Vanquished (The Roxbury Trilogy, #1)
  • Mama Does Time (A Mace Bauer Mystery #1)
  • Hawks Mountain
  • The Devil's Fire (Devil's Fire, #1)
  • Scorpio Rising (The Scorpio Series, #1)
  • Prairie Rose (A Town Called Hope, #1)
  • The God's Wife