Start by marking “Spartan Women” as Want to Read:
Spartan Women

Spartan Women

Sparta, which existed from 800 B.C. until A.D. 200, was renowned in the ancient world as a stoic and martial city-state, and most of what we know about Sparta concerns its military history and male-dominated social structure. Yet Spartan women were in many ways among the most liberated of the ancient world, receiving formal instruction in poetry, music, dance, and physical ...more
Published July 11th 2002 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Spartan Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spartan Women

Georgene
Aug 21, 2016 Georgene rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I started out liking the premise of this book. A book on the women of Sparta! What is not to like if you're a bit of an ancient history buff.

Then as I was reading it, I noticed many, many footnotes with the author's name on them. Although Pomeroy has a a 12 page list of works cited, the ones she uses quite a lot (I really can't say most) are from articles she herself has written. This is supposed to convince me that this is a scholarly work?

To be perfectly fair, I must note that there are not
Luthien
Feb 19, 2017 Luthien rated it it was amazing
Was a very informative book on the lives of Spartiate women in classical Greece. I used it as my main secondary source on a college research project. However, I feel that it could have provided a little more information on Sparta during the Roman period.
Martine
May 24, 2013 Martine rated it it was ok
There are clearly but few sources about Spartan women. Judging by this work, too few to justify a whole book dedicated to the subject. When you add to that Pomeroy's tendency to overemphasize dramatic information, this work is not an asset to modern scolarship. For instance, the practice of wife-sharing or husband-doubling is so contrary to what we know from the rest of Greece at this time and of history in general that it should be discussed with a highly critical view, but instead she repeats ...more
Lyc Davis
May 07, 2014 Lyc Davis rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: students, history nerds
Recommended to Lyc by: Professor Stylianos Spyridakis
Shelves: classics-studies
Researching the lives of Spartan women can be a difficult task at best, with most (if not all) of the historical sources coming from not just outside observers of Spartan culture but from men who would have little to no understanding of the intimate lives of women in their own social circles (let alone in a city-state they're often so at odds with). However, Sarah B. Pomeroy's meticulous research and careful pulling together of multiple sources of historical and archaeological evidence has creat ...more
Mathew Powers
This is not my field, but I understand why Pomeroy is so well known and respected. This book is, in my view, extremely well done and highly informative. If I could understand sources from antiquity better, I'd give it 5 stars. I just am never sure about methodology during this time period. But, from what I can tell -- it's flawless! :)
Sandy
Oct 14, 2012 Sandy rated it really liked it
I've always felt akin to that people and times. People have a funny idea of what life was like many many centuries ago but people have the same wants, desires, fears and tragedies and triumphs. A spare life does not mean an unfulfilled life. And one gets a taste of that and especially from a female perspective. They were afforded many "luxuries" we do not have this day.
Daniel
Feb 17, 2012 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good job. Thoroughly researched for a field with so few records. A bit dry at times, but that is in the nature of the subject and its sources. Very good overall.
Dianne
Dianne rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2012
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Sammi Kezerle
Sammi Kezerle rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2012
Cristina
Cristina rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2015
Stacey
Stacey rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2011
Sophie Jarman
Sophie Jarman rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2013
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2014
Abigail Searcaigh
Abigail Searcaigh rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2013
Kelly Aquilla
Kelly Aquilla rated it did not like it
Sep 01, 2013
Tarah
Tarah rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2014
Joe Kaliher
Joe Kaliher rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2014
Magui
Magui rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2015
Mary Stephanos
Mary Stephanos rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2007
kevin b kimbrough
kevin b kimbrough rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2016
Alicia Bright
Alicia Bright rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2012
Jeffery Hickman
Jeffery Hickman rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2015
Mary J Landua
Mary J Landua rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2016
Jacque Summers
Jacque Summers rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
S.Q. Eries
S.Q. Eries rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2011
Ayreon
Ayreon rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2012
Ajay
Ajay rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2009
Jenny Demonic
Jenny Demonic rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2013
Kitty Taylor
Kitty Taylor rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2014
  • Eleusis: Archetypal Image of Mother and Daughter
  • The Greeks
  • Paideia 1: The Ideals of Greek Culture: Archaic Greece: The Mind of Athens
  • Greek Homosexuality
  • Greek Fire, Poison Arrows & Scorpion Bombs: Biological and Chemical Warfare in the Ancient World
  • Ladies of Labor, Girls of Adventure: Working Women, Popular Culture, and Labor Politics at the Turn of the Twentieth Century
  • The Comfort Women: Japan's Brutal Regime of Enforced Prostitution in the Second World War
  • Glamour: Women, History, Feminism