Start by marking “The Shape of Living: Spiritual Directions for Everyday Life” as Want to Read:
The Shape of Living: Spiritual Directions for Everyday Life

The Shape of Living: Spiritual Directions for Everyday Life

In our culture of distraction it can be hard to focus on spiritual matters. Work, finances, and uncertain futures are just a few things that overwhelm us daily. Discover how to overcome and develop an everyday spirituality that will guide your actions and bring meaning to your hectic life.
"Ford provides a way beyond distraction to joy and buoyancy."--Walter Brueggemann, C
Published July 1st 2004 by Baker Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Shape of Living, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shape of Living

Thomas
Jun 03, 2012 Thomas rated it it was amazing
I typically avoid "Christian living" or "spirituality" books - they tend to be a sort of Christianization of whatever happens to be the contemporary self-help trend. This is not that sort of book. It really is pretty brilliant - a sort of distillation and application of some of the insights that Ford develops in his academic work. I highly recommend it for anyone seeking a challenging, engaging work in "lived theology."

Here is what the theologian Stanley Hauerwas and philosopher Nicholas
Wolter
Tim
Aug 31, 2012 Tim rated it it was amazing
The Shape of Living begins slowly, talking of overwhelmings and quoting poetry, not sounding anything like evangelical self-help literature. Ford, Regius Professor of Divinity at Cambridge, is interested in the love of God (for us and in us) and vocation. Vocation is not career or narrow calling, but the long-term shaping of our desires and how it forms our lives. A really fine book that makes the familiar discussion of Christian's disciplines and habits established in daily life both strange ...more
Phil
Jan 11, 2014 Phil rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
I picked up this book at my local university library and I thought it might be an interesting read. I admit it left me a little flat, not so much because it is wrong, but, for some reason, it just didn't grab me. Ford interweaves good spiritual practice with poetry, but it felt a little impersonal to me. I'm not sure if that is just where I was at the moment or whether it was feeling a bit cerebral.

Still, this is a sound book and, for those who love poetry better than I, an evocative one.
Steven
May 04, 2012 Steven rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Ford deals with the reality of being overwhelmed. We usually try to think of how to avoid being overwhelmed; this book takes for granted that we'll be overwhelmed by both the positive and the negative. Ford primarily uses an interplay between the Bible and the poetry of Micheal O'Siadhail along with other resouces and his own experiences to give us a sense of how to live a life that's constantly being overwhelmed by something - and often by many things simultaneously.
Doug
Dec 20, 2010 Doug rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a winsome, profound book of Christian spiritual formation written by a Cambridge theology professor and pastor.
Amy
May 25, 2009 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
haven't read it all but some of my favorite quotes are from this book. the quotes were in Susan Howatch's Starbridge series - which are my favorites!!
Becca
Becca rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2012
Jane
Jane rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2007
Debra Evans
Debra Evans rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2008
Kristen
Kristen rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2012
Justin
Justin rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2014
Jonathan Platter
Jonathan Platter rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2015
Matthew Miller
Matthew Miller rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2010
David Clark
David Clark rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2010
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2007
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2012
Stacey Douglas
Stacey Douglas rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2012
Amie Vanderford
Amie Vanderford rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Dr Anne Hicks
Dr Anne Hicks rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2009
Alicia
Alicia rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2015
Isaac Nwadike
Isaac Nwadike rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2016
David Frey
David Frey rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2013
Leslie Yong
Leslie Yong rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2012
Patrizia grasso
Patrizia grasso rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Trenton
Trenton rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2013
Robert Loane
Robert Loane rated it really liked it
May 26, 2012
Tr0yisbald
Tr0yisbald rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2014
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2013
Lyndon
Lyndon rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2008
David Frank Ford (born 23 January 1948, Dublin) is an academic and public theologian. He has been the Regius Professor of Divinity at the University of Cambridge since 1991. His research interests include political theology, ecumenical theology, Christian theologians and theologies, theology and poetry, the shaping of universities and of the field of theology and religious studies within ...more
More about David F. Ford...