Start by marking “Death Trip (Detective Johnny Mann, #3)” as Want to Read:
Death Trip (Detective Johnny Mann, #3)

Death Trip (Detective Johnny Mann #3)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  14 reviews
It was supposed to be the trip of a lifetime. But it became a journey into hell...

Paradise has become a nightmare. Five young voluntary workers on a once in a lifetime gap year in Thailand have vanished into thin air. Entire villages lie ransacked, their people brutally murdered.

Published 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Death Trip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Trip

Suzie
Jul 28, 2011 Suzie added it
Utter ... bilge.

I rarely give up on a book, but by page 70-odd I wanted to hurt myself. This book SO badly written I am amazed it got published .. then I read the blurb about the author.
Lainy
Time taken to read - 2 days

Blurb From Amazon

Paradise has become a nightmare. Five young voluntary workers on a once in a lifetime gap year in Thailand have vanished into thin air. Entire villages lay ransacked, their people brutally murdered.

Meanwhile, in Hong Kong, troubled detective Johnny Mann is haunted by personal demons, including the unsolved murder of his father. Trying to pick up the pieces of his life, he r
Josh
'Death Trip' is as dirty and gritty as it gets while maintaining a mainstream facade. Laced with vivid imagery and provocative prose, the third instalment in the Johnny Mann series delves deeper into Mann's history and quest rid the world of all its evils one case at a time.

As the title suggests, Death Trip is just that, as 5 unassuming youths travel to parts of Thailand ravaged by tsunami on a volunteer mission of goodwill. However, NAP, the agency responsible for placing them isn't as clean an
Jennifer Thomson
This was the first Johnny Mann book I've read and it won't be the last. A gripping take about 5 young overseas volunteers who are abducted by a psychopath and his men in Thailand, Deathy Trip follows Mann's desperate quest to find them.

A bit grisly at times and not for the faint hearted, this book had me hooked. Johnny Mann is a complex character with a lot of mileage in him.

The one criticism I do have is the continual use of phrase like 'was sat' and 'was stood.' I found them grating and they
Amy
At first I was bored with reading this, then I though about giving it a chance - glad I did. Though it was quite gory, it was a good story with a good twist. I was a bit disappointed in the end when we started to focus less on the characters (where as before it was too much details about the characters) - this needed to be addressed.

Good Read all round.
Carol Taylor
very graphic not for the faint hearted
Annette McIntyre
Graphic. Violent. But compelling.
Michelle
In a word: appalling. The sentence structure, use of grammar and literacy in general is akin to that of a low-level primary school student; the characters are two-dimensional caricatures; none of the dialogue is believable; and the narrative requires no thought or imagination whatsoever, i.e. everything is spoon-fed to the reader (and with far too many superfluous and misplaced words). I found this book in a $6 bargain bin - I want my $6 back.
Jessica
Not sure about the writing where Lee introduces too many characters in a short period of time across several countries, which can be hard to keep track. Eventually the story picks up and it gets more violent and sexual (one of Lee's common darker themes, I believe). But I did enjoy the twist at the end.
Kevin
Sort of enjoyed it but its a little too sick for me. I downloaded several by Lee Weeks and not sure I want to read then all now. I think the plot went over the edge a little but did manage to read to the end.
Craig
An entertaining enough read, especially after having read a few rather heavy books, a bit of escapism was just what I needed.
Teena
More scientific then creepy until you reach the end and then the ultimate test... Loved it
Pauline
Good read.Getting better as I get further into the series.
David
Looking forward to the next in this series.
Sarah Harding
Sarah Harding is currently reading it
Jan 21, 2015
Lauren Moorhouse
Lauren Moorhouse marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Tess
Tess marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Amira
Amira added it
Dec 27, 2014
Mike Dequattro
Mike Dequattro marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Him Didit
Him Didit marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Killing of Emma Gross
  • The Last Witness
  • Blood Born (Dr. Anya Crichton, #4)
  • Sympathy Between Humans (Sarah Pribek #2)
  • Panic Attack
  • Lost Souls (DC Laura McGanity, #2)
  • The Boys from Santa Cruz
  • Messages
  • Buried Alive (Carson Ryder, #7)
  • Behold the Child (Novella)
  • Deadly Virtues
  • Divine Fury (Enzo Lee Mystery, #2)
  • The Killing Hands (Sophie Anderson,  #4)
  • The Redeemed (Jenny Cooper, #3)
  • Shadow Cay
  • From the Dead (Tom Thorne, #9)
  • The Perfect Ten
  • The Unburied Dead (Thomas Hutton, #1)
There is more than one author with this name
More about Lee Weeks...

Detective Johnny Mann (4 books)
  • The Trophy Taker (Detective Johnny Mann, #1)
  • The Trafficked (Detective Johnny Mann, #2)
  • Kiss & Die (Detective Johnny Mann, #4)
The Trophy Taker (Detective Johnny Mann, #1) The Trafficked (Detective Johnny Mann, #2) Kiss & Die (Detective Johnny Mann, #4) Dead Of Winter Cold as Ice