Start by marking “Death Trip (Detective Johnny Mann, #3)” as Want to Read:
Death Trip (Detective Johnny Mann, #3)

Death Trip (Detective Johnny Mann #3)

It was supposed to be the trip of a lifetime. But it became a journey into hell...

Paradise has become a nightmare. Five young voluntary workers on a once in a lifetime gap year in Thailand have vanished into thin air. Entire villages lie ransacked, their people brutally murdered.

Published 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Death Trip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Trip

Michelle
Feb 06, 2013 Michelle rated it did not like it
In a word: appalling. The sentence structure, use of grammar and literacy in general is akin to that of a low-level primary school student; the characters are two-dimensional caricatures; none of the dialogue is believable; and the narrative requires no thought or imagination whatsoever, i.e. everything is spoon-fed to the reader (and with far too many superfluous and misplaced words). I found this book in a $6 bargain bin - I want my $6 back.
Suzie
Jul 28, 2011 Suzie added it
Utter ... bilge.

I rarely give up on a book, but by page 70-odd I wanted to hurt myself. This book SO badly written I am amazed it got published .. then I read the blurb about the author.
Lainy
Feb 18, 2012 Lainy rated it really liked it
Time taken to read - 2 days

Blurb From Amazon

Paradise has become a nightmare. Five young voluntary workers on a once in a lifetime gap year in Thailand have vanished into thin air. Entire villages lay ransacked, their people brutally murdered.

Meanwhile, in Hong Kong, troubled detective Johnny Mann is haunted by personal demons, including the unsolved murder of his father. Trying to pick up the pieces of his life, he r
Josh
Oct 17, 2010 Josh rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, crime, read_2011
'Death Trip' is as dirty and gritty as it gets while maintaining a mainstream facade. Laced with vivid imagery and provocative prose, the third instalment in the Johnny Mann series delves deeper into Mann's history and quest rid the world of all its evils one case at a time.

As the title suggests, Death Trip is just that, as 5 unassuming youths travel to parts of Thailand ravaged by tsunami on a volunteer mission of goodwill. However, NAP, the agency responsible for placing them isn't as clean an
Jennifer Thomson
Nov 19, 2011 Jennifer Thomson rated it it was amazing
This was the first Johnny Mann book I've read and it won't be the last. A gripping take about 5 young overseas volunteers who are abducted by a psychopath and his men in Thailand, Deathy Trip follows Mann's desperate quest to find them.

A bit grisly at times and not for the faint hearted, this book had me hooked. Johnny Mann is a complex character with a lot of mileage in him.

The one criticism I do have is the continual use of phrase like 'was sat' and 'was stood.' I found them grating and they
Amy
Aug 29, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
At first I was bored with reading this, then I though about giving it a chance - glad I did. Though it was quite gory, it was a good story with a good twist. I was a bit disappointed in the end when we started to focus less on the characters (where as before it was too much details about the characters) - this needed to be addressed.

Good Read all round.
Jessica
Oct 02, 2013 Jessica rated it liked it
Not sure about the writing where Lee introduces too many characters in a short period of time across several countries, which can be hard to keep track. Eventually the story picks up and it gets more violent and sexual (one of Lee's common darker themes, I believe). But I did enjoy the twist at the end.
michelle  Simons
Feb 10, 2016 michelle Simons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing

I found this book remarkably intriguing. Unlike anything I have read before. It had twists and turns that kept
my mind gripped till the end. Lee Weeks is a very talented writer.
Kevin
Jan 01, 2012 Kevin rated it liked it
Sort of enjoyed it but its a little too sick for me. I downloaded several by Lee Weeks and not sure I want to read then all now. I think the plot went over the edge a little but did manage to read to the end.
Teena
Nov 08, 2011 Teena rated it it was amazing
More scientific then creepy until you reach the end and then the ultimate test... Loved it
Pauline
Sep 14, 2010 Pauline rated it liked it
Good read.Getting better as I get further into the series.
Annette McIntyre
Graphic. Violent. But compelling.
Craig
Mar 13, 2013 Craig rated it liked it
An entertaining enough read, especially after having read a few rather heavy books, a bit of escapism was just what I needed.
Clare
Dec 27, 2013 Clare rated it liked it
454 pages ☺
Carol Taylor
Aug 25, 2014 Carol Taylor rated it really liked it
very graphic not for the faint hearted
Jemma
Jemma rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2014
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
May 07, 2013
Louise
Louise rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Maggie Boender
Maggie Boender rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Susie_marie
Susie_marie rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2014
Denise
Denise rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2013
Asis Adit
Asis Adit rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2017
Tierney Spence
Tierney Spence rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Zoe Millward
Zoe Millward rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2012
Felicity
Felicity rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2014
Trent Urza
Trent Urza rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2014
Sonja
Sonja rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2012
Jaki Becker
Jaki Becker rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2016
Lucy Broome
Lucy Broome rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2013
amanda
amanda rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Killing of Emma Gross
  • Behold the Child
  • The Boys from Santa Cruz
  • Panic Attack
  • Sympathy Between Humans (Sarah Pribek #2)
  • From the Dead (Tom Thorne, #9)
  • The Unburied Dead (Thomas Hutton, #1)
  • Nightblind (Dark Iceland - English Publication Order #2; Original Publication #6)
  • Nightlife
  • At the City's Edge
  • Hamish and the Worldstoppers (Hamish and the PDF, #1)
  • Blind Run
  • Hal Spacejock 2: Second Course
  • Doodling
  • Innocent Blood (DCI Andrew Fenwick, #4)
  • Pariah
  • Extreme Frontiers: Racing Across Canada from Newfoundland to the Rockies
  • Killing Mum
I was born in Devon of Welsh parents. My father was a detective, my mother a nurse. I left school with just one O level in Art and by seventeen I was living in Sweden.

I loved reading Henry Miller whilst listening to Neil Young. I travelled in France and settled in Germany at twenty-one, where I worked in a bar. I came back to the UK to study for a year or two and then went to live in Hong Kong. T
More about Lee Weeks...

Detective Johnny Mann (4 books)
  • The Trophy Taker (Detective Johnny Mann, #1)
  • The Trafficked (Detective Johnny Mann, #2)
  • Kiss & Die (Detective Johnny Mann, #4)