Start by marking “A Family Matter” as Want to Read:
A Family Matter

A Family Matter

This powerful graphic novel confirms Will Eisner as a master of the genre.

In this classic graphic novel, Will Eisner’s pen cuts an expansive swath through all aspects of the human condition. A Family Matter starts close to home, following a family as it gathers to observe the ninetieth birthday of its patriarch. While they must decide how best to provide for him, he ends
Published July 27th 2009 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about A Family Matter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Family Matter

Ágata Bresil
May 29, 2012 Ágata Bresil rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One more borrowed graphic novel that falls into my hands. More so I have a willingness to invest in the purchase of this kind. This time, I read the graphic novel created by Will Eisner, the true father of the graphic novel. He created characters who are famous till today, including Sheena - Queen of the Jungle and Spirit. Good to know that this book was to know the artist and his importance in the history of comics.

The book is set in 24 hours. A family much like those we see every day with peop
Zenit Saphyr
May 02, 2015 Zenit Saphyr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Vamos por o velho num lar, porque já nao podemos tratar dele (nem temos dinheiro para isso!)" Um tema clássico da actualidade, em que os idosos são cada vez mais vistos como fardos...vivi situação semelhante e ouvi algumas das frases que aparecem no livro...
Melissa
Sep 08, 2015 Melissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Family squabbles over money.

The graphic novel takes place over a short period of time in which the 90th birthday of their father is taking place.

I've read this story before. It didn't really offer anything super unique to the old story.
Hayley Gullen
Feb 15, 2014 Hayley Gullen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read any Will Eisner before this - it was great. His drawing style is beautifully expressive and the story was understated but powerful. Will definitely seek out more of his work.
Simon Sweetman
Aug 22, 2016 Simon Sweetman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing drawing style - my first time (at least as far as I'm aware) reading a Will Eisner, and also a great, grumpy story of a bickering family.
Caroline
Dec 31, 2011 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Another graphic novel hit by Will Eisner, this one takes a look at family dynamics. A 90-year old man is confined to a wheelchair after a stroke and one his daughters invites the rest of the family over to celebrate his birthday.

As we are introduced to each of his sons and daughters, we're given an initial glimpse into their current lives. When they each come over to the party, we're given a glimpse into their past relationship with their father. Family relationships can be complicated, and ther
Sowmya
Dark.. and created a strong impact on me. Loved the detailing in visuals, as usual.
Mikael Kuoppala
Nov 25, 2011 Mikael Kuoppala rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Will Eisner’s touching and insightful story about a family that comes together after a long time, on the eve of the death of the family patriarch. Through revealing scenes the reader is taken behind all the pretence that is going on, into deeply buried secrets and dark memories hidden behind false smiles. Human greed, sadistic cruelty and selfishness fuel the story, but it also has a deeply compassionate take on its unfortunate characters. Touching stuff, and extremely sharp.
Brandon James
Jul 28, 2013 Brandon James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first encounter with Eisner and it was a good, quick read. A fan of dysfunctional families? A fan of depressing stories? A fan of characters with zero redeeming qualities? Then this graphic novel might just be for you. Looking forward to digging deeper into Eisner's bibliography.

Aaron
Dec 30, 2015 Aaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This was the book by Eisner I've read, and it may have been a bad place to start. This book was good but it didn't match up to the God-like status Eisner holds in the world of comics. Some parts were impressive but overall it didn't thrill me. I probably won't reread it.
Dipa
Mar 09, 2013 Dipa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Will Eisner is a master of his genre. I keep in mind that he was one of the graphic novel genre whenever I pick up one of his books. This book is worth a read. It's short, but dense and easy to read at the same time.
Emilia P
Nov 25, 2010 Emilia P rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
How do you make such sort of banal, obviously cliched stuff so powerful, sir? I dunno, but you really do, and I really love it, and I'm going to have to ration it out. Way to make timeless, timely stuff.
Bro_Pair أعرف
Aug 02, 2012 Bro_Pair أعرف rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Eisner. Would've been three stars but for the devastating ending. Packs a wallop.
James Levesque
Aug 13, 2011 James Levesque rated it really liked it
Wow! Bleak and honest. What an amazing voice Will Eisner brings to this book!
pierlapo  quimby
Sep 18, 2012 pierlapo quimby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fumetti
Un piccolo gioiello, magistralmente sceneggiato.
Francesco Lamonica
Francesco Lamonica rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2016
Aaron Kent
Aaron Kent rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2016
A David
A David marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Scott Mills
Scott Mills rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Monik
Monik marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Jacob Betts
Jacob Betts rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2016
James Grummett
James Grummett rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2016
TheSqaull17
TheSqaull17 rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2016
Javier Recuenco
Javier Recuenco rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2016
Ron
Ron rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Café de Tinta
Café de Tinta marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
mrbeardead
mrbeardead marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Jonas
Jonas added it
Aug 17, 2016
Chris Fawkes
Chris Fawkes rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Indian Summer
  • A Jew in Communist Prague: Loss of Innocence v. 1
  • Animal'z
  • Aya de Yopougon, Tome 5 (Aya, #5)
  • The Mystery of Mary Rogers
  • Tout est vanité (Borgia #4)
  • Billy Hazelnuts (Billy Hazelnuts, #1)
  • Esto no es todo
  • Más respeto que soy tu madre
  • The Bug Boy
  • The Black Order Brigade
WILL EISNER was born on March 6, 1917 in Brooklyn, New York. By the time of his death on January 3, 2005, Will Eisner was recognized internationally as one of the giants in the field of sequential art, a term he coined.

In a career that spanned nearly eight decades -- from the dawn of the comic book to the advent of digital comics - Will Eisner was truly the 'Father of the Graphic Novel' and the 'O
More about Will Eisner...