Start by marking “A Family Matter” as Want to Read:
A Family Matter

A Family Matter

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  12 reviews
This powerful graphic novel confirms Will Eisner as a master of the genre.

In this classic graphic novel, Will Eisner’s pen cuts an expansive swath through all aspects of the human condition. A Family Matter starts close to home, following a family as it gathers to observe the ninetieth birthday of its patriarch. While they must decide how best to provide for him, he ends
Published July 27th 2009 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about A Family Matter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Family Matter

Ágata Bresil
One more borrowed graphic novel that falls into my hands. More so I have a willingness to invest in the purchase of this kind. This time, I read the graphic novel created by Will Eisner, the true father of the graphic novel. He created characters who are famous till today, including Sheena - Queen of the Jungle and Spirit. Good to know that this book was to know the artist and his importance in the history of comics.

The book is set in 24 hours. A family much like those we see every day with peop
Aaron
This was the book by Eisner I've read, and it may have been a bad place to start. This book was good but it didn't match up to the God-like status Eisner holds in the world of comics. Some parts were impressive but overall it didn't thrill me. I probably won't reread it.
Zenit Saphyr
"Vamos por o velho num lar, porque já nao podemos tratar dele (nem temos dinheiro para isso!)" Um tema clássico da actualidade, em que os idosos são cada vez mais vistos como fardos...vivi situação semelhante e ouvi algumas das frases que aparecem no livro...
Hayley Gullen
I haven't read any Will Eisner before this - it was great. His drawing style is beautifully expressive and the story was understated but powerful. Will definitely seek out more of his work.
Caroline
Another graphic novel hit by Will Eisner, this one takes a look at family dynamics. A 90-year old man is confined to a wheelchair after a stroke and one his daughters invites the rest of the family over to celebrate his birthday.

As we are introduced to each of his sons and daughters, we're given an initial glimpse into their current lives. When they each come over to the party, we're given a glimpse into their past relationship with their father. Family relationships can be complicated, and ther
Mikael Kuoppala
Will Eisner’s touching and insightful story about a family that comes together after a long time, on the eve of the death of the family patriarch. Through revealing scenes the reader is taken behind all the pretence that is going on, into deeply buried secrets and dark memories hidden behind false smiles. Human greed, sadistic cruelty and selfishness fuel the story, but it also has a deeply compassionate take on its unfortunate characters. Touching stuff, and extremely sharp.
Brandon James
This is my first encounter with Eisner and it was a good, quick read. A fan of dysfunctional families? A fan of depressing stories? A fan of characters with zero redeeming qualities? Then this graphic novel might just be for you. Looking forward to digging deeper into Eisner's bibliography.

Dipa
Will Eisner is a master of his genre. I keep in mind that he was one of the graphic novel genre whenever I pick up one of his books. This book is worth a read. It's short, but dense and easy to read at the same time.
Emilia P
How do you make such sort of banal, obviously cliched stuff so powerful, sir? I dunno, but you really do, and I really love it, and I'm going to have to ration it out. Way to make timeless, timely stuff.
Bro_Pair أعرف
My first Eisner. Would've been three stars but for the devastating ending. Packs a wallop.
James Levesque
Wow! Bleak and honest. What an amazing voice Will Eisner brings to this book!
pierlapo  quimby
Un piccolo gioiello, magistralmente sceneggiato.
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Matt Peters
Matt Peters marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Brandi
Brandi marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Otavio Venturoli
Otavio Venturoli marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Erdiawan
Erdiawan marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
M
M added it
Mar 23, 2015
Joe Wygocki
Joe Wygocki marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Huw
Huw marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Freeza
Freeza marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
  • Indian Summer
  • A Jew in Communist Prague: Loss of Innocence v. 1
  • Animal'z
  • The Mystery of Mary Rogers
  • Othon Le Trisaïeul (La Caste des Méta-Barons, #1)
  • Aya de Yopougon, Tome 4 (Aya, #4)
  • Más respeto que soy tu madre
  • The Black Order Brigade
  • Athos in America
  • Special Exits
  • Concrete, Volume 5: Think Like A Mountain
  • Astro City, Vol. 3: Family Album
  • Breakdowns: Portrait of the Artist as a Young %@&*!
WILL EISNER was born on March 6, 1917 in Brooklyn, New York. By the time of his death on January 3, 2005, Will Eisner was recognized internationally as one of the giants in the field of sequential art, a term he coined.

In a career that spanned nearly eight decades -- from the dawn of the comic book to the advent of digital comics - Will Eisner was truly the 'Father of the Graphic Novel' and the 'O
More about Will Eisner...
A Contract With God and Other Tenement Stories Comics and Sequential Art The Contract With God Trilogy: Life on Dropsie Avenue Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative Will Eisner's New York: Life in the Big City