Start by marking “Chronicles of the Vikings” as Want to Read:
Chronicles of the Vikings

Chronicles of the Vikings

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
This book brings the Vikings to life, showing them as they saw themselves, portrayed in their own writings or in the reports of people who knew them closely. It comprises a series of new translations from primary sources: runic inscriptions left behind by the Vikings, poems of their official skalds, literary works that entertained them, the few prose historical accounts th ...more
Published August 9th 1995 by University of Toronto Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Chronicles of the Vikings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chronicles of the Vikings

Basicallyrun
Mar 25, 2011 Basicallyrun rated it it was amazing
My first bit of preparatory reading for ASNC! Very informative and very interesting (which I guess shows I'm applying for the right course). I love how much of it is done by quotation from contemporary sources - the rune stones in particular are really interesting - as it really gives an idea of *how* modern historians have gone about reconstructing the past. Page is an entertaining narrator - I particularly like it when he refers to Auden's translation of the Poetic Edda with a sniffy, 'Yes, Au ...more
Rebecca
Apr 22, 2016 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
A really interesting if old book that carefully goes explores nearly every aspect of Viking culture and history from geographical aspects through to their customs and beliefs. All through the words of the Vikings themselves, from runestones, sagas and other historical documents. Definitely recommend for anyone with a strong interest in Vikings.
Kathryn  Bullen
Aug 07, 2015 Kathryn Bullen rated it really liked it
Thorough, interesting and insightful delve into the world of the Vikings as seen from their perspective - through writings, runes and sagas.
Louise
Aug 28, 2007 Louise rated it liked it
I'm only on the first chapter so far, so this review will probably change. I bought this book thinking that it might be easier going than it actually is.

That said, it's very informative. There's explanatory text interspersed with large chunks from various Viking poems and runic inscriptions. Not that I have taken much of it in, but sttempting to understand poetry (well, blank verse I suppose) from an alien culture is often like that. Things seep in slowly.
Vyvyan
Aug 04, 2014 Vyvyan rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-request
Lots of quotes; not a huge amount of context.
Philippe Fontaine
Philippe Fontaine is currently reading it
Apr 26, 2016
Ksenija
Ksenija marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Tania
Tania marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Andrew Wild
Andrew Wild marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
dale cochrane
dale cochrane rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2015
Lynn Schmidt
Lynn Schmidt rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2015
Jenni
Jenni marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Lucinda
Lucinda marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Victoria
Victoria is currently reading it
Oct 06, 2015
Tara Bree
Tara Bree marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Caleb Poole
Caleb Poole marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Jessica Cordray
Jessica Cordray marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Haaze
Haaze marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Aenyell
Aenyell rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Michael Wills
Michael Wills rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2015
Cleber
Cleber marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Shawn
Shawn rated it did not like it
May 06, 2015