Start by marking “Upon this Chessboard of Nights and Days: Voices from Texas Death Row” as Want to Read:
Upon this Chessboard of Nights and Days: Voices from Texas Death Row

Upon this Chessboard of Nights and Days: Voices from Texas Death Row

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  6 ratings  ·  3 reviews
In this unique book, prisoners on Texas Death Row share their feelings, hopes, fears, and memories with the reader through a series of nonfiction pieces and original art.Excerpts:"But the thing is, I don't want to getout of prison. This lifeis all I've known for thirty years."--Perry Austin"Death Row has one of the best collections of black widows I've ever seen."--Les Bow ...more
Published September 28th 2009 by Texas Review Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Upon this Chessboard of Nights and Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Upon this Chessboard of Nights and Days

Cindy
I've been writing to a man on Texas death row for over a year. I actually write to two men on Texas death row now. I was very interested to read this book to get a feeling for who more of the men on death row are. Some of the essays were very insightful and informative. Others rambled and didn't hold my attention. One thing is for sure, the sorrow that permeates every prison I've been in is even deeper and stronger among these men.
C.S.
How do you rate a collection of writings by men on death row? Many of them had probably never written anything before. Some of them ramble. Some philosophize. Some rant. But the overwhelming feeling is of people needing to have someone listen, of saying things that are important to them, and trying to take this last chance to have their say.

You can take it at face value, read and pass on, or take it as something to think about and wonder if death is really the proper and just punishment.
MagnoliaMom
I found this book intriguing. Some more than others, since this is collection of stories, poems, and drawings from prisoners who are currently on death row.
Blu Torah
Blu Torah is currently reading it
Nov 23, 2014
Rubi
Rubi marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Saskia
Saskia marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2013
Billy
Billy marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2013
Bill Bormet
Bill Bormet marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2013
Mim Mckay
Mim Mckay marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2012
Nora
Nora marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2012
Mccall Probert
Mccall Probert marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2011
Millicent
Millicent marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2011
Snickt007
Snickt007 marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2011
Considering Swinging Handbook of Veterinary Drugs, PDA CD-ROM Stedman's Medical Dictionary, 27th Edition, Featuring New Veterinary Medicine Insert with over 45 Images and Reference Tables