Start by marking “The Red Velvet Turnshoe (An Abbess of Meaux Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Red Velvet Turnshoe (An Abbess of Meaux Mystery, #2)

The Red Velvet Turnshoe (Abbess of Meaux #2)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  206 ratings  ·  27 reviews
In the midst of a long, bleak winter in the year 1383, flooding brought famine, famine brought disease, and The Black Death visited town after town.

Into this watery world, against a background of plague and the turmoil of the Hundred Years’ War, a brave and brilliant nun, Abbess Hildegard, embarks on a quest for a precious relic, the Cross of Constantine.

Strong-willed and
Published November 24th 2009 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Velvet Turnshoe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Velvet Turnshoe

Patricia
Apr 25, 2010 Patricia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Joshua, Becky, Lyn
This is the second in one of my favorite new series and is equal to or better than the first. The year is 1383 and a plot is afoot to surpress the story of what really happened to the leaders after the Peasant's Revolt (or Wat Tyler's Rebellion). John of Gaunt, King Richard II's uncle and chancellor, is not depicted in a good light at all here, which is different than in other historical fiction of the period that I have read. Sister Hildegard is sent on a journey to Italy to purchase a reliquar ...more
Sonya Bria
Apparently this is book #2 in the medieval mystery series...I missed the first one, but I was able to follow along just fine. I love the heroine Hildegard and the underlying story of her forbidden love for the abbot. It was well written, love all the history of England intertwined. I have to go find the other book now!
Jacqueline Seewald
First I've read of this series. Clark is incredibly knowledgeable regarding the medieval period. I wouldn't hesitate to read another in the series.
Michelle
The second book in the Abbess of Meaux series, set in the late 1300's, Hildegard is summoned to go on a secret mission to Italy to obtain a holy relic, the Cross of Constantine, to help protect the king. She is sent under the guise of a pilgrimage, with only her two dogs and a tournament knight as protection. Before she leaves, she is shocked and dismayed by the actions and appearance of the Abbott, for whom she has feelings that cannot be realized due to their respective positions. She joins a ...more
Frances
I much preferred this second book in the Abbess of Meaux series. Set in the 1300's, a time when England is being devastated by a power struggle between its current King and those who would like to replace him and the church has been divided between 2 rival popes, it tells the take of Hildegarde, a nun, who is sent from her home in the North of England to retrieve a relic in Italy. She is accompanied at various times in her journey by a tournament Knight, a minstrel, merchants, a group of mercena ...more
Ann Boytim
An intense reading story with twists and turns and not sure how it really ended. It was interesting to see how long it took for people to travel across Europe in the middle ages, intense conditions and slow going A nun is sent on a mission to retrieve a holy cross and there is murders along the way. Someone is falsely accused and she defends this young man and saves him from execution.
Heidi Kneale
Loved the historical detail, enjoyed the mystery elements, but I simply couldn't get into the characters. I couldn't grok their motivations and emotions. This might be because I haven't read the first book in the series, and I missed out on a whole lot of character development.

I really wanted to love this book and couldn't.
Renee
Clark sends her Sister Hildegarde on a mission to Florence in this second outing. Same quality of historical research as her debut novel, Hangman Blind as well as intricately woven plots and sub-plots. Hildegarde is accompanied by a chivalrous knight, a trio of mercenaries, and an minstrel accused of murder. She is also shadowed by an enemy bent on revenge. Meanwhile, the nations rage and our nun plays her (not very) small part. Some series require a breath between volumes, but not this one. On ...more
Tricia
I normally enjoy historical fiction, but our dear sister just wasn't real to me. She's described as beautiful, and every man she meets seems to fall for her. She's a nun, but has no problems with a young man telling her he's been abused by priests, she seems to just accept it making no comment at all. She tells us that the young man is homosexual, though we've seen noting to lead us in this direction of thought. There are too many instances when she is left alone with a man, something that I don ...more
Mike Shoop
Good mystery set mainly in Yorkshire in 1383, with a spunky nun, Hildegard, off on a pilgrimage to bring back a holy relic for her abbey, and the intrigue and murders she encounters along the way.
Amanda Bright
I enjoyed reading this -- relatively light but still entertaining.
Val Sanford
So it's true I read these books out of order, starting with the 3rd in the series, and then backing up and fitting in 1 and 2. I had a lot of problems with this book. The premise is super fun and the adventure across the Alps was interesting, but the bizarre interactions between Hildegard and the Abbot of Meaux was just not clear. Difficult to follow and a little head-shaking. If you can get over that, it's a fun read.

I loved book 1 and 3 so ...
Beka
I don't think I'm going to read anymore from this series. The mysteries are good, and I like the main character. But I feel like she tries to be too cryptic and subtle with her wrap-ups. I got to the epilogue in this book without feeling like the mystery was solved. Maybe I should have paid closer attention to details, but I feel like she could also have explained things a little better.
Denise
This is the second installment in a trilogy featuring a nun named Hildegard. This book takes Hildegard on a perilous journey to Italy. Her prioress sends Hildegard on a secret mission that puts Hildegard in the path of a murderer.

Very enjoyable read! I loved the details of the journey across Europe and was intrigued by what happens when Hildegard returns at the Abbey of Meaux.
Cheryl
These Abbess of Meaux tales are really are amazing. The mysteries are complicated and tied to historic occurrences of the day. The historical detail is intense. these are not lightweight cozies but rich historical fiction in the vein of CJ Sanson and Ariana Franklin. I can't wait to start the next one.
Deb
Heavens, a book about the anonimalle chronicle! I wrote a paper about the Peasants' Revolt for which that chronicle was the primary source. Would have appreciated an author's note to tell us whether there really was a base document, whether that is proved or conjecture, or whether the author made it up.
Mary
This is a complex murder mystery/story of political intrigue set in the aftermath of Wat Tyler's Rebellion. I still haven't figured out the allegiances of all the recurring characters in the series... The lead characters are appealing and I look forward to the next book in the series.
Joyce
Good story. Glad I went back to read early books of the series after starting out with the latest as it helps fill in some "grey" areas. Looking forward to the next book Ms. Clark writes in this series.
Ruth
"Sometime, maybe in the distant future, the weaker side will become the stong. Their tyranny will match that of their oppressor. This is the law of life. The lust for power is the same in all men"
kelly
I enjoy the cast of characters - and I am looking forward to reading more. However, I did have to read the end a second time to understand the political background.
Trisha
Dec 06, 2010 Trisha marked it as didn-t-want-to-finish  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know this was a #2 book. I felt a little lost. It just didn't hold my interest. Maybe I'll try and read the 1st book some time.
Rebecca
Mar 22, 2010 Rebecca is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm enjoying this. It's the second in the series, I couldn't get the first one (though have tracked it down now).
Rita
Another good well researched story. The journey across the mountains was interesting.
Kate
Top-notch medieval mystery series!
Colleen
sequel to "Hangman Blind"
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
  • The House of the Red Slayer (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #2)
  • Serpent in the Thorns (Crispin Guest, #2)
  • The Chatter of the Maidens (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #4)
  • The Apostate's Tale
  • A Gift of Sanctuary (Owen Archer, #6)
  • Murder by the Book (Matthew Bartholomew, #18)
  • A Plague of Heretics (Crowner John Mystery #14)
  • A Personal Devil (Magdalene la Batarde, #2)
  • Wine of Violence (Medieval Mystery, #1)
  • The Rhetoric of Death
Hangman Blind (An Abbess of Meaux Mystery, #1) The Law of Angels (An Abbess of Meaux Mystery, #3) A Parliament of Spies (An Abbess of Meaux Mystery, #4) The Dragon of Handale (An Abbess of Meaux Mystery, #5)