Start by marking “What I Meant...” as Want to Read:
What I Meant...

What I Meant...

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  250 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
After 15 years of being a good daughter and loyal friend, wouldn't you expect the people closest to you to believe you? To at least try to understand what you mean? Since my evil aunt moved in, everything has gone wrong.

My little sister thinks I'm a thief.

My best friend thinks I'm a jerk.

My parents think I'm bulimic.

And the boy I love thinks I'm not into him at all.

Somehow
Published July 24th 2007 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about What I Meant..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What I Meant...

Cherylann
Aug 07, 2011 Cherylann rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, realistic-fiction
Here's the deal - I read A LOT of YA (okay, maybe not this summer, but overall I read a lot of ya). Some YA appeals more to adults than to kids, some appeals to both, and some YA is totally just for it's intended audience. This is a book that I know my students - specifically my girls - will LOVE. Looking at the book through the lens of a teenaged girl, this would probably be a five star review. I really like that Sang is a strong female protagonist. I also like that she is brown. While I've bee ...more
Marie
Jul 27, 2009 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Okay, I admit I'm partial. This is my debut novel. :)
Tokiana
Feb 05, 2014 Tokiana rated it it was amazing
What I Meant by Marie Lamba is a book about a 15 year-old girl named Sang going through what she thinks is too much for her to handle. That her life was out of control and that things were falling apart.

A teenage girl named Sang was having a good life- except for the fact that her aunt, Chachi, is living with her and her family since her brother, Hari, moved out for college. Her dad thought it would be a good idea because he would be helping family. Sang? Not so much. At first, she didn't mind h
Kristina Jo
Apr 23, 2016 Kristina Jo rated it liked it
I have two big questions. One: What changed Dad's mind? He was all "My daughter brings shame to my family!" And then he's all, "No one would steal your stuff, Kajal." Two: Kajal/Chachi bloodies Sangeet's nose during a religious ceremony in a holy place, and the whole family takes Kajal to dinner where they wait on her hand and foot. But Kajal calls the mom a slut and that's the straw that breaks the camel's back? Don't get me wrong, I in no way agree with Kajal, nor do I think she should have br ...more
Winnie
Nov 14, 2007 Winnie rated it really liked it
this is a book about a teenage girl that is going through a lot in her life right now. her parents think she is bulimic; which she is not . and her aunt that came from india is ruining everything. her aunt gets her in trouble and lies about things that 'sangeet' [ the girl ] didnt do . and also a guy that she likes and the boy likes her too. so she gives him and chance and goes with him to the concert. but then he doesnt care about her and stays on the train to the concert when sangeet sees her ...more
Clarence :P
Aug 09, 2010 Clarence :P rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those older then 12
What would you do if your Evil Aunt moved in? If your best friend suddenly hates you? If your own parents don't believe a single word you say? If you're Sangeet, you'd try to fix it.
Sangeet, or Sang, is 15. She's half Eastern-Indian and half American,("exotic" as her long-time crush, Jason, has said). Sang's la-di-da life changes drastically, but she discovers things that are better unhidden and learns just how strong she can be.
This comedy about a teenage girl navigating her crazy life is hap
Rekha
Sep 13, 2007 Rekha rated it it was ok
15 year old Sangeet has always been the perfect student, daughter, and friend. Ever since her evil aunt has moved in with her and her family, everything is falling apart. Her best friend abandons her, her parents think she's got an eating disorder (she doesn't), and no one in her life seems to trust her any more. The story recounts all of the injustices that come upon Sangeet, but doesn't do a very convincing job at explaining why all of these things seem to be happening. Characters came off as ...more
Davina Gadkar
Sep 27, 2015 Davina Gadkar rated it it was amazing
This was such a light hearted and hilarious read! I could totally relate to her Indian heritage and strict parents (not in all ways but in some like school) LOL! It had me laughing and it was truly enjoyable! Her thoughts, how her life got messed up were hilarious and sad and how she scrambled to fix them. It was such a perfect book it's really summarized the feelings girls go through whilst growing up and running into various dilemmas and saying one thing but meaning another like with Jason, he ...more
Gabby
May 05, 2009 Gabby rated it really liked it
this book was really good. i was surprised how relateable it really was, everything from the girl's personality to the locks on her door-- were exactly like mine. It takes place in Doylestown, which is really cool because it mentions Planet Smoothie and IceWorld Skating rink, two places i know about fairly well. I liked this book alot, it was funny, cute and also a bit annoying--the aunt, not the book. I really want to read more by this author now.
Dotty
Dec 03, 2013 Dotty rated it it was amazing
So glad I met this author because then I bought the book and it was awesome. Multi-cultures make for great reading and the family relationships ring true. Loved the mix of family conflict, touch of mystery/intrigue, dab of romance and dash of humor. All combined for engaging reading. Excited to read more by the author and to book talk the book to my students.
KTT
Oct 11, 2009 KTT rated it it was amazing
The ongoing gag was how the (real)evil-aunt tried & succeeded in sabotaging the main character & how she and her younger sister set to stop her & reveal her true identity to their parents. You'll also learn that your so-call 'Best friend' may not turn out to be so 'Best' afterall, esp in comparison & forgiving stuffs.
Callen
Mar 15, 2011 Callen rated it really liked it
It was pretty good. I was reading it for my Multicultural book. It had to be a book about another country.I taught me a lot about India that I didn't know. This girl Sang had a very complicated life! From aunts who steal your families money and blame it on you, to best friends who run away!!! Pretty good!
Janelle Kranz
Mar 23, 2009 Janelle Kranz rated it really liked it
Shelves:
as I got this book I got this book at a workshop that I met Mrs. Lamba at. She shared with us some of her experiences, and we got this book. Once she read some passages from the book, I was hooked. I am about 3/4 of the way through, and so far I'm loving it. I'll write more after I finish the story. :)
Jeevan
Jan 11, 2008 Jeevan rated it it was amazing
This book is amazingly good! I loved this book. It is another one of my top faves. It is a must read book. This book is about an Indian girl and how her life changed when her aunt came to live with her. You will see the tough times she has had with her family.
Alexis
Jun 14, 2010 Alexis rated it it was amazing
this is my second favorite book ever. ABSOLUTELY COMPLETELY WONDERFUL!! held my attention. i was very dissapointed when it ended. and even more when i found out that the author didnt write anymore books. So Marie Lamba, if your reading this: WRITE MORE BOOKS PLEASE!
jessica chen
Nov 12, 2007 jessica chen rated it it was amazing
i love this book. its very funny, and i think that sometimes life can change very fast, and the boy that you love, is a total idiot and jerk. Love can be right under our noses. ;)
i heart dis book
Vicky
Sep 15, 2009 Vicky rated it really liked it
This girl was making so many mistakes I was getting anxious. I wanted to yell at her to think first.
Andi
Sep 06, 2008 Andi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
If you like books that include aunts stealing from their nieces and sister in laws, you'll like this one!
Bryanna marie  vazquez
Oct 11, 2013 Bryanna marie vazquez rated it it was amazing
it is a really good book to read if u like interesting books it has lots of details i give it 5 stars
Kelsey
Sep 27, 2008 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
this is one of my favorite books, becasue it was actually based on the small town where i grew up.
Parisa
Sep 06, 2008 Parisa marked it as to-read
Recommended to Parisa by: Andi
I haven't read it yet, but it's my sister's 2nd favorite book, so I think it'll be pretty good.
Karyn Johnson
Feb 06, 2010 Karyn Johnson rated it really liked it
Things don't always go the way you want them to go or the way you planned them to go.
Maddie
Sep 08, 2008 Maddie rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. It is more of a teen book. But i still enjoyed it.
Mady
Dec 25, 2013 Mady rated it liked it
I liked this book it showed how stressful being a teen can be and how to cope.
Kenzie
Jul 07, 2013 Kenzie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darn I wanted to know more about Gina and dalton! Still a good book though
Amberwright
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH
Richard
Dec 29, 2010 Richard rated it really liked it
My dear friend wrote this and wrote it beautifully!!
Lauren
Jul 07, 2011 Lauren rated it it was amazing
it's amazing! i would definitely recommend this book!
Jill Mcconnell
Oct 05, 2011 Jill Mcconnell rated it it was amazing
It was a very entertaining book!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jenni
May 12, 2013 Jenni rated it it was amazing
The characters cunning and mysterious...
  • Notes on a Near-Life Experience
  • Isabelle's Boyfriend
  • Brothers, Boyfriends & Other Criminal Minds
  • Love (In the Cards, #1)
  • The Sweetheart of Prosper County
  • A Field Guide to High School
  • Dumped by Popular Demand (The Social Experiments of Dorie Dilts, #1)
  • Returnable Girl
  • Mercy on These Teenage Chimps
  • Snatched (Bloodwater Mysteries, #1)
  • Deadville
  • The Year My Sister Got Lucky
  • Switch
  • The Opposite of Invisible
  • One Butt Cheek at a Time (Gert Garibaldi's Rants and Raves, #1)
  • Strike Three, You're Dead
  • Teen, Inc.
  • Converting Kate
Marie is author of YA novels including WHAT I MEANT... (Random House) and OVER MY HEAD. Marie's newest novel DRAWN is about an artist who falls for a medieval ghost with a sketchy past. Her debut picture book GREEN, GREEN, about community gardening, comes out through Farrar Straus Giroux in 2017. She has a short story in the anthology LIAR LIAR, and an essay in the anthology CALL ME OKAASAN: Adven ...more
More about Marie Lamba...