Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Sourcebook

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Sourcebook

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Trauma can take many forms, from the most disturbing of circumstances such as witnessing a murder or violent crime to the subtle trauma of living with the effects of abuse or alcoholism. This guide explains the psychic defenses that can go into effect to protect a victim from further emotional harm, and provides information on triggers.
Published January 1st 2000 by McGraw-Hill

Claire
Very comprehensive and accessible book about PTSD (i.e. the writing does not just target clinicians and psychologists). Among many other topics, the book goes over different feelings such as guilt, anger and shame, processes such as grief, paying attention to dreams and what they mean, and outlines different psychological treatments and relaxation techniques--some of the latter can be done at home. There is also focus on moving on after PTSD. It is also the first time I have read in simple words...more
Rebecca
This is a great, inclusive resource on PTSD and various different treatments. It's really a must-read for anyone who is suffering from PTSD, who has a relative who is, or who is interested in the disorder.

It's informative without being overly dense, and easily gives you resources for more information if you so choose to explore it.

My only reason for giving the kindle version 4 instead of 5 stars is formatting. The book is clearly straight from the print version, so a lot of the formatting is iff...more
Brian Gillum
This book is what it says it is...a guide to dealing with PTSD, for those still struggling with it, those who have learned to cope with it and for those who love them.
Mary Allen
Jul 08, 2007 Mary Allen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone dealing with PTSD
This is the best book on PTSD that I've read, and I've got 4 of them! A wonderful guide to the disorder with practical tips on how to work through the healing process, whether you're suffering from it yourself, or someone you love has been diagnosed with it. I'm writing a book about a woman with it, thus the intense interest.

Highly highly recommend it!
Kat Hodgins
Aug 01, 2012 Kat Hodgins marked it as to-read
Tried to read this as an e-book., but the set up was horrid. The test only took up about a third of each page, and the resulting white space was annoying and broke the continuity way too much. Might try again if I can get my hand on a physical copy (or a better e-edition) but for now this one is going back on the "someday" list.
Rochelle
Aug 29, 2008 Rochelle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Thoes who struggle with PTSD or if you know someone who struggles with it.
Recommended to Rochelle by: My dear friend Laura.
This book was very education and offered practical ways and tools to help deal with the pain and suffering that comes with Post-Tramatic Stress Disorder.
Janna Ladd
Excellent! Highly encourage those with PTSD to use this book with their therapist to gain maximum healing!
Kelly-Sherwood Catron
Actually I am not finished with this book but have found some enlighting information.
jw468
Of all the books I read about PTSD, I found this one to be the most accessible.
Alison
Use this in my work all the time. Very user friendly.
Susan

Really good overview on PTSD.
Ginger
Great source book... lots of good information.
Sean Bradford
Sean Bradford marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Little Miss Esoteric
Little Miss Esoteric marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
christy
christy is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2014
Sadie Faye
Sadie Faye marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Kiersten
Kiersten marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Stephanie Singh
Stephanie Singh marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Rayne
Rayne added it
Jun 09, 2014
Keith
Keith marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
The Self-Esteem Workbook 10 Simple Solutions for Building Self-Esteem: How to End Self-Doubt, Gain Confidence, & Create a Positive Self-Image The Anger Management Sourcebook World War II Survivors:  Lessons in Resilience Building Self-Esteem: A 125 Day Program