Start by marking “The Last Time as We Are” as Want to Read:
The Last Time as We Are

The Last Time as We Are

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  12 reviews
You don't need a classroom to be a teacher, and you don't need to be a teacher to help someone learn a lesson. Taylor Mali's poetry explores this truth in entertaining and plainspoken ways because "the last thing this world needs is another poem" ("The Call to What We Know"). Whether discussing the language of love or the love of language, the poems contained in The Last T ...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Write Bloody Publishing (first published May 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Time as We Are, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Time as We Are

Ronnie Stephens
Taylor Mali has long been one of my favorite poets because he never apologizes for his overwhelming desire to be the best at everything he does. Often described as the "villain" of the slam community, Mali has an attention to detail and craft that is unmatched by most performance poets. I was so excited to see this collection on the Write Bloody Publishing site that I ordered a hardback copy before it was even released. The first time I read it, it took a day. Since then, I've read it at least a ...more
Vicki Sherbert
Poetry stays with us long after we read it. From this collection "The Ocean Inside, or, Why One Teacup Fell and Not the Other" reminds me of the need to fill the empty places with what sustains me. "Miracle Workers" articulates common yet unique moments in the lives of teachers . Mali captures the essence of lived experiences with his honest humor and heartfelt wonderings.
Lizzie Cooper
Loved this, beautiful and full of some many emotions.
C
There are a lot of cool poems in here, even if he is a bit samey with certain phrasing. He's really original in others, I don't read a whole lot of funny poetry and there are funny parts.

His best funny poem you can watch here if you're thinking about getting the book (available on Kindle, as a book of poetry, means you'll always get a semi-favorable review) it's called "I'll Fight You For the Library" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qXgPf...
Kemaki45
Enjoying seeing Taylor Mali at a Capital Center for the Arts school series event and was inspired to buy this book afterwards. Although I don't agree with all of his ideas about teaching (as presented in some of this poems), I like his sense of humor.
Troy Ketch
I really enjoyed these poems. They are focused on story and, for the most part, easy to understand. Many of them are about teaching; I like those the best. Thank you, Melanie Cameron.
Joe

I think Mali's poetry is best performed aloud,and this collection is no exception. Some of the wording is overdone, but most shows brilliance.
Acurtis49
A 3 star pic but 4 in the moment. Especially when you can call Mali's passion to mind. The next time I reread I'll likely stop back by and give it a star bump.
Ogreart Art
Mali's newest book. Again, I highly recommend this book--especially to my teacher friends.
Paul
Some very insightful poems, some very personal, all of them entertaining. A good read.
Brenda Wright
I love words and he manipulates them so smoothly and so... poetically!
Miami University Libraries
King Library (2nd floor) | PS3613.A4455 L37 2009
Cynthia Egbert
Cynthia Egbert marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Hannah Chapman
Hannah Chapman marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Samm
Samm marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Cláudia Costa
Cláudia Costa marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Awjad AlJohani
Awjad AlJohani marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Erin Housewright
Erin Housewright is currently reading it
Nov 13, 2014
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
  • The Smell of Good Mud
  • Papa Is a Poet: A Story About Robert Frost
  • Here, Bullet
  • Shaking the Trees
Taylor Mali is a former teacher and classically trained actor who now makes his living as a professional poet. One of the original poets to appear on the HBO series Russell Simmons Presents Def Poetry, he is a veteran of the poetry slam and the author of What Learning Leaves and several spoken word CDs and DVDs. He lives and writes in New York City. For more information, visit www.taylormali.com"
More about Taylor Mali...
What Teachers Make: In Praise of the Greatest Job in the World What Learning Leaves Conviction Bouquet of Red Flags O&s: Summer Volume 2, Issue 4, 2009