Start by marking “Odd and the Frost Giants” as Want to Read:
Odd and the Frost Giants

Odd and the Frost Giants

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  14,966 ratings  ·  1,946 reviews
This simple and warm story is a fantasy about a 12-year old boy named Odd, a lucky name in Viking tradition, who has had two pretty rough years. But Odd has a kind heart and a positive attitude. Life took on a better light for Odd when he met three chatty animals - supposedly Viking gods sent by the Frost Giant.
Published October 1st 2010 by Bloomsbury UK (first published January 1st 2006)

Each time I read something by Gaiman, I think, “This. This is where he excels.” Whether it's a fairy story (Stardust,) or a children's story (Coraline.) Or the melding of American Mythology with a new Mythology of his creation (American Gods, Anansi Boys.) Maybe it's something vaguely steampunkish and other-worldly, like Neverwhere. Sometimes it's when I revist the complexities in Sandman.

Or maybe I'm not actually that fickle, and I just like the way his phrasing and ideas are like mainlining s
Jason Koivu
Odd and the Frost Giants is such a short and easy read, you'll gulp it down in an instant and be shouting to Neil Gaiman, "Next!"

This is the most childish Gaiman story I've read yet and that's saying something. But it's not saying something as negative as some might take it. Odd... is intended for the kiddies.

It's not a terrible introduction for youngsters into the realm of Norse mythology. In it, a crippled boy meets a few anthropomorphic animals who turn out to be outcast gods, who need this
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Odd and the Frost Giants was a quick, but very rewarding book to listen to on audio. The author himself narrated, and his voice is very pleasant to listen to. He knows his characters best and animated them as richly as he had intended them. The Norse mythology elements were interesting, and I loved how Mr. Gaiman injects a humorous view of the constant strife between the Aesir and the Frost Giants. He embodies the traits of Odin, Thor, and Loki very well, and their animal forms fit what characte ...more
A beautifully written story inspired by Norse mythology and aimed at children that is bound to bring smile to your face. Gaiman, as always, delivers!
A wonderful book to start off a year with.
Neil Gaiman truly is one of best authors ever.
3.0 to 3.5 stars. An excellent children's story set in the world of Norse mythology. I listened to the audio version of this book (read by Neil Gaiman himself) which really added to the enjoyment of the story. Definitely one to read out loud to the kids until they are old enough to enjoy his more mature books.
Neil Gaiman needs to stop being so readable. Seriously. I should not find a dinky novella so vastly entertaining, especially when it’s aimed at kids twenty years younger than me.

But he is so readable, and I am so vastly entertained, so I will try to get over it.

Odd and the Frost Giants is cute little Norse mythology type of book, with a likeable hero, a cast of miscellaneous gods and goddesses (and Loki, who seems determined to show up in every book I’ve read recently), a fairly sympatheti
Odd is a young Norseman, who lost his father after a Viking raid. He is partly disabled after a tree fell on his leg. His mother has now re-married and his new step-father cares little for him preferring his own children. This year the winter is dragging on and on, and having now had enough of home, heads out to a hut his father owned in the forest.

In the forest he comes across a bear with his paw stuck; he frees it. The bear is grateful, and Odd learns that the bear and his companions, a fox an
It was probably more fun listening to Neil Gaiman read Odd and the Frost Giants than to read it. He's a good reader -- not all authors are good at reading their own work, but he is: he brings it to life, giving each character a distinctive voice without it sounding at all forced.

The story itself is a simple one, based on the gods of Norse saga with a few wry references to events mentioned in the Prose Edda (Loki turning himself into a mare, for example). There's a surprising number of references
Gaiman does a lot of things really well, but I love his work best when he is playing with myth and folklore. That includes the Sandman, American Gods, lots of his short stories, and most of his work for children and young adults; sure, some of the myth is of his own making, but I think it fits nicely in with the more traditional canon.
It's not as richly conceived or populated as many of Gaiman's books or stories. That said, it doesn't need to be. It's a myth and a fairy tale and a coming of age
Odd and the Frost Giants is a short novel by Neil Gaiman probably intended for a young adult audience, or younger, or older; it is a fun, fable-like story.

Odd is a young Viking boy who has an adventure amongst a setting in Norse mythology. A fan of American Gods will recognize Gaiman’s voice and a fan of DreamWorks film How to Train Your Dragon would also like this short work.

Jun 18, 2014 Eric rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Neil Gaiman fans
This little book, which was short enough for me to read in a single sitting, reminded me a great deal of Philip Pullman's Once Upon a Time in the North, as the length and appearance of the books were similar, they are both from highly imaginative authors, and both featured talking bears. While not one of the more important works of his career, it is a great addition to Gaiman's works, aimed at a similar audience to The Graveyard Book.
Ben Babcock
Mark Wilkerson
I very much enjoy exploring the worlds that Gaiman creates, and upon first opening the pages, I was ready to be transported to these fun worlds. When Odd, a crippled boy with a vivid imagination, wanders into the world, I thought, "Okay, here it comes..." And, indeed, when Odd meets Thor, Odin, and Loki (Wow!) I thought that finally, I would get a tale worthy of these epic characters. And what did I get?

SPOILERS AHEAD................................................................

I got three wh
Basic plot: Odd is, well, a bit odd and goes on an adventure to get the frost giants out of Asgard.

What a wonderful, little book this was! Gaiman's whimsy is in full effect in this story about growing up. As sad as I was that it was very brief, I have to give it to Gaiman for knowing his craft well enough to know how long a story should be and actually following through with that knowledge. The tie-ins to Norse mythology are fun and in line with traditional Norse myth.

It's a great "starter" chap
I love books that can bring you tears of happiness when you finish it. This such a book. It's a short story but full of feel and lite humor. Clearly this a book aimed at children but still beautifully written.

During Mother's Day, my family and I had the pleasure of seeing THOR at the movies. And yes, Chris Hemsworth is absolutely charming and *divinely cut* (exactly how my niece described him).

Neil Gaiman's Thor is also charming, if I may point out, for a bear. And very lucky indeed to have Odd on his side. I wish Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz thought of him when they wrote the script for the movie. Odd could have smiled his way through the gates of Asgard. But then, again, Chris can smile too... and
Ana Rînceanu
This was brilliant. I found the perfect depiction of our 4 comrades on Deviantart, but the author doesn't want it posted anywhere else, so I'm including the link here so you can check it out:

colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
A short, sweet story filled with lots of wry little touches. Probably helps if you know a bit about some Norse mythology, but probably not a necessity - just helps to get some of the jokes.

A good story, a nice lesson, well told and with humor. I approve. :)
Ashlee Willis
A short, sweet, charmingly fun story. The first I've ever read by Neil Gaiman. It was creatively written, and I loved that it included some of my favorites...Thor and Loki. Great for all ages!
Yorumun orijinali: http://kitaphayvaniningunlugu.blogspo...

Odd ve Ayaz Devleri, Neil Gaiman'ın Türkçe olarak yayımlanan son kitabı. Kitap henüz Perşembe günü çıkmıştı ve Cuma günü benim elimdeydi. Eh, Neil Gaiman söz konusu olunca beklemeye hiç mi hiç gelmiyor, efendim. Çünkü neymiş; Neil bir harikaymış! Bana hasret çektiren, "ah olsa da okusam!" dedirttiren nadir yazarlardan kendisi. Çok seviyorum çok, öyle böyle değil. Karanlık, aynı zamanda eğlenceli tarafını, tuhaf huylarını, her şeyini.

Danielle Barclay
Written by Neil Gaiman for World Book Day in the UK, Odd and the Frost Giants, seems to have been penned with a real dose of magic in the quill! From the moment I began reading this whimsical story about the son of a sea-faring Viking, set in ancient Scandinavia, I experienced an instant connection with Odd, and was transported through time to a simpler world who's inhabitants place value on craft and physical strength. Odd and the Frost Giants is a coming of age story about a young boy faced wi ...more
What a lovely children's adventure story surrounding Norse mythology! As I have just begun exploring Norse mythology I decided to start with something basic. [Thor movies don't count though they heavily rely on the mythology.]

Odd is a young boy who goes on an adventure with Norse Gods, currently just anthropomorphic animals, to Asgard in order to reclaim their world. Everything takes place in a dreamlike fantasy though we all know it was totally real.

A nice little story that you can read in be
Nov 05, 2011 Callista rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Julia Andersen
A lovely book. Not being very familiar with Norse mythology, I don't know if the story is based on an established one, but it's a delightful story. Cosy like a cup of hot chocolate on a snowy day. Full of vivid description and wry humour. I liked Odd's determination, his calmness, and his infuriating smile; and his connection to his mother and his decision at the end were touching. Thor as a bear, Loki as a fox, and Odin as an eagle--fantastic. Loki is so full of it. And the illustrations by Bre ...more
Ieri sono andata in biblioteca, nella zona per bambini, ho cercato Neil Gaiman e ho trovato tre libri. All'inizio li ho presi tutti, poi mi sono ricordata della mole di libri che ho da leggere e ho preso solo questo, senza nemmeno sapere di che cosa parlasse. E' Neil Gaiman, quindi ci va bene.
Sono tornata a casa e poco prima di iniziarlo ho capito che parlava di vichinghi e di mitologia nordica e non potevo essere più felice di così. Neil Gaiman + vichinghi + mitologia nordica = ELISA MUORE.
A fun fable, set in Norway, where an unwanted young man encounters the Norse gods and frees Asgard from the Frost Giants.

Lovely little book! It's always nice for me to read a book that portrays medieval Norway in a good light, since Norway is my passion. This story was a bit like Erik the Viking for kids!
Sercan Çelik
çok güzel bi hikayeydi
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • The Cats of Tanglewood Forest (Newford)
  • Eight Days of Luke
  • Adventures of a Cat-Whiskered Girl
  • The Coming of the Dragon
  • Kenny and the Dragon
  • Goblin Secrets (Zombay, #1)
  • Runemarks (Runemarks, #1)
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • Frostborn (Thrones & Bones, #1)
  • Collected Folk Tales
  • Hanging Out with the Dream King
  • Prince of Stories: The Many Worlds of Neil Gaiman
  • Castle Hangnail
  • Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears
  • Loki
  • The Hero's Guide to Storming the Castle (The League of Princes, #2)
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms

“The wise man knows when to keep silent. Only the fool tells all he knows.” 66 likes
“Talk is free but the wise man chooses when to spend his words.” 36 likes