Start by marking “Odd and the Frost Giants” as Want to Read:
Odd and the Frost Giants

Odd and the Frost Giants

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  16,387 Ratings  ·  2,110 Reviews
This simple and warm story is a fantasy about a 12-year old boy named Odd, a lucky name in Viking tradition, who has had two pretty rough years. But Odd has a kind heart and a positive attitude. Life took on a better light for Odd when he met three chatty animals - supposedly Viking gods sent by the Frost Giant.
Published October 1st 2010 by Bloomsbury UK (first published January 1st 2006)

Stacey
Each time I read something by Gaiman, I think, “This. This is where he excels.” Whether it's a fairy story (Stardust,) or a children's story (Coraline.) Or the melding of American Mythology with a new Mythology of his creation (American Gods, Anansi Boys.) Maybe it's something vaguely steampunkish and other-worldly, like Neverwhere. Sometimes it's when I revist the complexities in Sandman.

Or maybe I'm not actually that fickle, and I just like the way his phrasing and ideas are like mainlining s
Jason Koivu
May 01, 2014 Jason Koivu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Odd and the Frost Giants is such a short and easy read, you'll gulp it down in an instant and be shouting to Neil Gaiman, "Next!"

This is the most childish Gaiman story I've read yet and that's saying something. But it's not saying something as negative as some might take it. Odd... is intended for the kiddies.

It's not a terrible introduction for youngsters into the realm of Norse mythology. In it, a crippled boy meets a few anthropomorphic animals who turn out to be outcast gods, who need this
Lyn
Feb 21, 2016 Lyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Odd and the Frost Giants is a short novel by Neil Gaiman probably intended for a young adult audience, or younger, or older; it is a fun, fable-like story.

Odd is a young Viking boy who has an adventure amongst a setting in Norse mythology. A fan of American Gods will recognize Gaiman’s voice and a fan of DreamWorks film How to Train Your Dragon would also like this short work.

description
Phrynne
Jan 05, 2016 Phrynne rated it really liked it
A nice little fantasy aimed at older children but absolutely fine for adults too. The story is based on old Norse tales and is woven around Thor, Odin, Loki and our young hero whose name is Odd. Only 120 pages of well spaced text, I read this book in the time it took me to prepare dinner. I still enjoyed it very much as I do nearly everything this author writes:)
Magdalena
Jan 02, 2015 Magdalena rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written story inspired by Norse mythology and aimed at children that is bound to bring smile to your face. Gaiman, as always, delivers!
Mario
Jan 01, 2015 Mario rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book to start off a year with.
Neil Gaiman truly is one of best authors ever.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Odd and the Frost Giants was a quick, but very rewarding book to listen to on audio. The author himself narrated, and his voice is very pleasant to listen to. He knows his characters best and animated them as richly as he had intended them. The Norse mythology elements were interesting, and I loved how Mr. Gaiman injects a humorous view of the constant strife between the Aesir and the Frost Giants. He embodies the traits of Odin, Thor, and Loki very well, and their animal forms fit what characte ...more
Eric
Apr 26, 2016 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Neil Gaiman fans
This little book, which was short enough for me to read in a single sitting, reminded me a great deal of Philip Pullman's Once Upon a Time in the North, as the length and appearance of the books were similar, they are both from highly imaginative authors, and both featured talking bears. While not one of the more important works of his career, it is a great addition to Gaiman's works, aimed at a similar audience to The Graveyard Book.
Stephen
3.0 to 3.5 stars. An excellent children's story set in the world of Norse mythology. I listened to the audio version of this book (read by Neil Gaiman himself) which really added to the enjoyment of the story. Definitely one to read out loud to the kids until they are old enough to enjoy his more mature books.
Jubilation Lee
Neil Gaiman needs to stop being so readable. Seriously. I should not find a dinky novella so vastly entertaining, especially when it’s aimed at kids twenty years younger than me.

Sigh.

But he is so readable, and I am so vastly entertained, so I will try to get over it.

Odd and the Frost Giants is cute little Norse mythology type of book, with a likeable hero, a cast of miscellaneous gods and goddesses (and Loki, who seems determined to show up in every book I’ve read recently), a fairly sympatheti
Annet
Mar 28, 2016 Annet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My third Gaiman, a fairy tale for kids but also for the older people, like me :-) As a kid, I used to love all fairytales.... I enjoyed this short novel, 'inspired by traditional Norse mythology'. The pencil drawings in the book also beautiful. 3.5 going on 4. Entertaining short read!

It's about a boy named Odd, going on an adventure with a bear, an eagle and a fox...

There was a boy called Odd, and there was nothing strange or unusual about that, not in that time or place. Odd meant 'the tip of a
Paul
Sep 15, 2015 Paul rated it liked it
Shelves: books-read-2015
Odd is a young Norseman, who lost his father after a Viking raid. He is partly disabled after a tree fell on his leg. His mother has now re-married and his new step-father cares little for him preferring his own children. This year the winter is dragging on and on, and having now had enough of home, heads out to a hut his father owned in the forest.

In the forest he comes across a bear with his paw stuck; he frees it. The bear is grateful, and Odd learns that the bear and his companions, a fox an
Gaiman does a lot of things really well, but I love his work best when he is playing with myth and folklore. That includes the Sandman, American Gods, lots of his short stories, and most of his work for children and young adults; sure, some of the myth is of his own making, but I think it fits nicely in with the more traditional canon.
It's not as richly conceived or populated as many of Gaiman's books or stories. That said, it doesn't need to be. It's a myth and a fairy tale and a coming of age
Nikki
It was probably more fun listening to Neil Gaiman read Odd and the Frost Giants than to read it. He's a good reader -- not all authors are good at reading their own work, but he is: he brings it to life, giving each character a distinctive voice without it sounding at all forced.

The story itself is a simple one, based on the gods of Norse saga with a few wry references to events mentioned in the Prose Edda (Loki turning himself into a mare, for example). There's a surprising number of references
Salman Haque
আমি জানি না গাইমযানের লেখার মধযে কি এমন আছে কিনতু ভদরলোক যাই লিখেন না কেন, একদম মুগধ হয়ে পড়ে ফেলি।
এই বই এর টারগেট মূলত কম বয়সী পাঠক। অড নামের সদা হাসযোজবল খোঁড়া এক বাচচা ভাইকিং কে নিয়ে কাহিনী। এডভেঞচার ই বলা যায়। নরস মিথোলোজি বেসড। সাথে অসাধারণ কিছু ইলাসটরেশন ও ছিল। সব মিলিয়ে দুরদানত একটা বই :)
Ashlee Willis
Mar 26, 2014 Ashlee Willis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short, sweet, charmingly fun story. The first I've ever read by Neil Gaiman. It was creatively written, and I loved that it included some of my favorites...Thor and Loki. Great for all ages!
Kimberley doruyter
an odd hero.
Ron
Mar 15, 2016 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poche persone hanno la forza di immaginazione e la creatività di Gaiman. Ogni storia è un'esperienza nuova e innovativa, profonda, mai banale o superficiale. Gaiman non si limita a narrare fatti, costruisce allegorie, insegna, interpreta la realtà attraverso nuove realtà.
Odd e il gigante di ghiaccio è un racconto di poche pagine in grado di lasciare un piccolo segno nella vita del lettore. Non è solo una storia per bambini, anche se lo sembra. La semplicità del racconto è il veicolo con il quale
Anne Hamilton
Jan 24, 2016 Anne Hamilton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, fantasy, ya, names
Fairytale-like, dream-edged, this story traverses mythic territory with a kind of warmth you want to nestle into. It's the tale of a boy, Odd - whose name means tip of a blade - who has an unfinished carving left by his deceased woodcutter father. Odd goes out into the forest with his father's heavy axe and brings down a tree on his foot. His crushed leg, coupled with his undimmed smile, earn him hits and cuffs aplenty when his mother remarries the doltish Eldred the Fat.

One day when winter refu
Julian
Jan 04, 2016 Julian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"If magic means letting things do what they wanted to do, or be what they wanted to be ..."

THIS BOOK WAS EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED AT THE MOMENT. I wanted a nice fun read that wasn't just BOOM WHAM FWOOP. I just for needed a light book that everyone can enjoy if they're looking for something that pretty chill. The writing was perfect for the target audience in my opinion because I think little kids would love this book more than older people. I haven't been disappointed by Neil Gaiman once and I hop
Ben Babcock
Mark Wilkerson
I very much enjoy exploring the worlds that Gaiman creates, and upon first opening the pages, I was ready to be transported to these fun worlds. When Odd, a crippled boy with a vivid imagination, wanders into the world, I thought, "Okay, here it comes..." And, indeed, when Odd meets Thor, Odin, and Loki (Wow!) I thought that finally, I would get a tale worthy of these epic characters. And what did I get?

SPOILERS AHEAD................................................................

I got three wh
Kat
Nov 22, 2011 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Basic plot: Odd is, well, a bit odd and goes on an adventure to get the frost giants out of Asgard.

What a wonderful, little book this was! Gaiman's whimsy is in full effect in this story about growing up. As sad as I was that it was very brief, I have to give it to Gaiman for knowing his craft well enough to know how long a story should be and actually following through with that knowledge. The tie-ins to Norse mythology are fun and in line with traditional Norse myth.

It's a great "starter" chap
Daniel
Apr 02, 2015 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love books that can bring you tears of happiness when you finish it. This such a book. It's a short story but full of feel and lite humor. Clearly this a book aimed at children but still beautifully written.

Recommendation.
Louize
May 17, 2011 Louize rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
During Mother's Day, my family and I had the pleasure of seeing THOR at the movies. And yes, Chris Hemsworth is absolutely charming and *divinely cut* (exactly how my niece described him).

Neil Gaiman's Thor is also charming, if I may point out, for a bear. And very lucky indeed to have Odd on his side. I wish Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz thought of him when they wrote the script for the movie. Odd could have smiled his way through the gates of Asgard. But then, again, Chris can smile too... and
Jessica
Feb 09, 2009 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit
A fun fable, set in Norway, where an unwanted young man encounters the Norse gods and frees Asgard from the Frost Giants.

Lovely little book! It's always nice for me to read a book that portrays medieval Norway in a good light, since Norway is my passion. This story was a bit like Erik the Viking for kids!
Ana Maria Rînceanu
This was brilliant. I found the perfect depiction of our 4 comrades on Deviantart, but the author doesn't want it posted anywhere else, so I'm including the link here so you can check it out:

colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
A short, sweet story filled with lots of wry little touches. Probably helps if you know a bit about some Norse mythology, but probably not a necessity - just helps to get some of the jokes.

A good story, a nice lesson, well told and with humor. I approve. :)
Erma Talamante
Review pending...

But I seen this on the BookPerks email, and was like: "I read this! I actually read this one!"

I was on a road trip to Montana with some people I didn't really know, and my books were on my laptop, in the trunk. The one guy had brought this with, and I was a chapter or so in before I remembered my manners and asked if I could read it. Luckily he found this funny, and said yes.

Long road trips + books = LOVE!

I really enjoyed this, and it may actually have been my first Neil Gaima
Razvan Zamfirescu
Spicuiri din recenzia finala care se gaseste pe blogul meu

..........................................
Odd este un puștan șchiop care se hotărăște să plece de acasă pentru că s-a săturat să fie subiect de batjocură. Astfel, Odd dă ochii cu un urs, o vulpe și un vultur care nu sunt altcineva decât Thor, Loki și Odin. Aceștia au nevoie de ajutorul său pentru a salva Asgard de un uriaș de gheață care l-a păcălit pe Loki și i-a luat ciocanul lui Thor și acum stăpânește peste orașul zeilor.

Am avut noro
  • The Cats of Tanglewood Forest (Newford)
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • The Coming of the Dragon
  • The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (Fairyland, #2)
  • D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths
  • Kenny and the Dragon
  • Ottoline and the Yellow Cat (Ottoline, #1)
  • Favorite Norse Myths
  • The Night Fairy
  • Prince of Stories: The Many Worlds of Neil Gaiman
  • Clover's Luck (The Magical Animal Adoption Agency, #1)
  • Eight Days of Luke
  • Down the Mysterly River
  • Runemarks (Runemarks, #1)
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • I Shall Wear Midnight (Discworld, #38; Tiffany Aching, #4)
  • Curse of the Were-wiener (Dragonbreath, #3)
  • The 13 Clocks

“The wise man knows when to keep silent. Only the fool tells all he knows.” 67 likes
“Talk is free but the wise man chooses when to spend his words.” 42 likes