Start by marking “Going Postal” as Want to Read:
Going Postal

Going Postal (Discworld #33)

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  56,575 ratings  ·  1,575 reviews
Moist von Lipwig was a con artist...

...and a fraud and a man faced with a life choice: be hanged, or put Ankh-Morpork’s ailing postal service back on its feet.

It's a tough decision.

But he’s got to see that the mail gets through, come rain, hail, sleet, dogs, the Post Office Workers Friendly and Benevolent Society, the evil chairman of the Grand Trunk Semaphore Company, and
Paperback, Film Tie-In Edition, 480 pages
Published May 13th 2010 by Corgi (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Going Postal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going Postal

This book was an excellent surprise; I love the Discworld series but was getting tired of seeing the same characters again and again in every book. But this book introduces an entirely new and refreshing cast of characters. I particularly liked the main character and felt he was very well-developed.

Pratchett's books are funny precisely because he has a very firm grasp of human nature. His best work feels surprisingly profound even though you're also laughing so hard you're afraid you might brea
Nate D
Oct 16, 2008 Nate D rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who refuse to read fantasy novels.
This was really surprising, actually. Perhaps it shouldn't have been, given how many people whose opinions I respect are Pratchett fans, but I haven't read a fantasy novel since giving up on Robert Jordan's painstakingly prolonged The Wheel of Time (somewhere in book 5, I think) long before college. Actually, I suppose I read a bunch of the Harry Potters in the interim, but in some ways that felt more like keeping up with pop culture than reading actual fantasy.

In any event, Going Postal was pur
E.H.
Jun 05, 2007 E.H. rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: language and history geeks
Shelves: theboxmarkeddone
I picked up this book to read on a 15 hour flight from Chicago to Vietnam, on the assumption that it would be a light, pleasant way to pass the dreary hours (after one flight to China during which I watched the first X-Men film three times, I decided it was best to err on the side of having too many books rather than too few).

My assumptions proved correct, and I enjoyed the book quite thoroughly. Three things struck me:

1) Pratchett's use of language is always fun, and he occasionally makes wond
What happens when Ventari becomes an angel and puts a con man in charge of the decrepit Post Office? Nothing one expects, of course.
--------------------------------------------

There was a silence. In that silence, Moist tried out a variety of responses, from "Pull the other one, it's got bells on" to "That's impossible", and decided they all sounded stupid. Groat looked deadly serious, so instead he said: "How?"
----------------------------------------------

There are many, many characters in the
Eleanor
Dec 31, 2007 Eleanor rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: satire / fantasy nerds
I am probably the last person on earth to read Terry Pratchett, but I'm glad I finally did. People have been recommending his books to me for years and although I had planned on starting with book 1, Color of Magic, the bookseller recommended I start with Going Postal instead (they were also out of stock of CoM). Every time I picked this book up I laughed out loud, it has a refreshing wit combined with a sharp perception of people and their funny habits. I ate this book up and bought copy of "Gu ...more
Cora Linn
One of my favourite Discworld novels - although I'm sure I've said that more thank once.

The way terry Pratchett plays with worlds is great - it adds to the pace and humour of this hilarious novel.
Callista
The length of time it took to read this book is not a reflection upon its quality. I just haven’t been very good at switching between books lately due to a number of distractions.
This one includes two things I have soft spots for: a talented con artist and the postal service.
As I’ve commented on in other reviews, such as The Lies of Locke Lamora, I’m fascinated by a well-executed con. Moist von Lipwig (one of Pratchett’s most deliberately awful character names) is one grade-A con artist. He bri
Ron
Cute, but kind of stale--like Seinfeld. It's superficially funny, but you get the feeling it's been done before. Many times.

In light of 2008's financial crisis, Going Postal might be taken as a timely reminder of the fallibility of humans, especially those entrusted with wealth or power.
Jared
In Going Postal, the enlightened despot of Ankh Morpork, Lord Vetinari, rather forcibly recruits a con man, Moist von Lipwig, to take over the running of the venerable and deserted post office, where letters have been accumulating for years -- if not decades -- without delivery. Moist steps reluctantly into the moldy shoes of the Postmaster, only to discover that the previous three occupants of the position died grisly deaths in the execution of their duties (and I use the term "execution" advis ...more
Rachel
Mar 14, 2007 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: funny fantasy readers
Shelves: fantasysci-fi
Not as good as the other ones I've read, but maybe I'm ODing just a bit. Still awesome though. Very funny, and very well done. I like him a lot better than Neil Gaimon (don't kill me!).
David
Okay, so this wasn't brilliant or incredibly original or anything that a 5-star novel should normally be, but it was funny and fast-paced and hugely entertaining. Pratchett's Discworld, with its hodge-podge of technologies, cultures, and magic, into which he shoehorns whatever anachronistic notion works for the story, shouldn't work as well as it does, but somehow you suspend your disbelief and just enjoy the ride.

Starting with the cringeingly-named protagonist "Moist von Lipwig," Going Postal i
Christina
Letters want to be delivered - and if they don't, you can get some nasty surprises. Especially in the post office in Ankh-Morpork where letters haven't been delievered for years and years.. and are starting to talk...

So to solve this problem, the Patrician and tyrant Lord Vetinari 'hires' con-artist extraordinaire Moist von Lipwig to fix it. In this case, hires means that after Moist is hanged - and almost died from it - he get offered to fix the postal service - or die. So he has a choice to ma
Steven Harbin
Con man Moist von Lipwig is about to be hanged for his various crimes, until Patrician Havelock Vetinari, tyrant of the Discworld city of Ankh-Morpork, gives him a new lease on life. He can hang (literally) or he can take over the defunct Post Office of Ankh-Morpork and use his considerable skills of persuasion and deception to fix things up postally. Just to make sure that von Lipwig doesn't go on the lam, he's given his very own Golem to watch over him and bring him back if he gets lost...

This
Deborah Markus
I was reading this to my son when that train crashed and burned in Quebec, destroying so much property and killing all those people. I watched the news and listened to the new owner of the company in question defend his methods of making more money by cutting expenses -- specifically, expenses like having two engineers on a shift when you could get away with only having one. In fact, it was probably safer to have just one person doing the safety check, because if there were two people, they were ...more
Dee
Prompted by seeing the television version of Going Postal, I broke off my serious reading schedule to take a brief swing through the Moist books while the weather's so fiendishly hot that a) serious brainage is bad and b) reading the word "moist" every minute is faintly refreshing. Book so much better than TV, Richard Coyle notwithstanding.
Bev
My son has been hounding me to read Terry Pratchett for years but started one and just didn't think it was my thing. Then I read Dodger (which I loved) and decided to try again with Going Postal and........what a lot of time I've wasted! Really enjoyed it and will read more now - think it's going to be expensive ;-)
Little Miss Esoteric
5 stars. Mr Pratchett, you are smart. Hermes (Mercury) the Trickster. Mr Messenger and Mr Prophecy himself. Everywhere I venture I find you've been there, you've figured it out, and what's more you've written about it. Quite frankly you kick butt. I raise my glass in your honour.

Addie
Discworld, where have you been all my life? There are 40 books in this series. Or something like that. I ask, what have I gotten myself into?
Viktor Malafey
Весела і цікава книжка. З безліччю алюзій з масової культури і посилань на повсякденне життя.

Going postal, in American English slang, means becoming extremely and uncontrollably angry, often to the point of violence, and usually in a workplace environment.

Дійство відбувається в якомусь паралельному всесвіті, де все дуже схоже на наш світ, але з вкрапленнями фентезі. Підозрюю, що ця книжка є лише частинкою з великого циклу, що не лише є пародією на всілякі "Володарі перснів", а й взагалі сформува
Melanie Brown
Moist Von Lipwig is a con man with the gift of being almost totally undistinguishable who is at the end of his rope, literally. However, he doesn't hang long enough to kill him, just long enough for his various aliases to die. He is then whisked to the office of the Patrician of Ankh-Morpork, Vetinari. Vetinari is his "guardian angel," giving him two choices: get the long-abandoned Ankh-Morpork Post Office up and running, or walk out the door behind him. Since Moist knows what awaits him outside ...more
Sakura87
I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

Non è un mistero lo sfortunato trattamento subito qui in Italia dai libri di Terry Pratchett. La saga del Mondo Disco è iniziata in patria nel 1983 con Il colore della magia, e - proseguita ininterrottamente - conta oggi trentanove volumi pubblicati, due annunciati, più un numero incalcolabile di gadget, libri a tema (come mappe e guide alle città o alla scienza dell'universo creato dall'autore britannico) e miniserie tv.
Limitandoci ai libri, nel nos
Heidi Cullinan
This is my favorite book.

I mean, this is the book of books. I have lost count of how many times I've read and listened to it. I know the story inside and out, but I still get a thrill every time I go back into this story. I love Making Money too, but this book. THIS. BOOK.

How do you not love a character named Moist Von Lipwig? How do you not love a chain-smoking Adorabelle Dearheart? This book is funny. This book is rich and thick and varied. This book takes on, in satire, corporate greed and m
Richard
8.5/10

My first real attempt at a Terry Pratchett novel. Quite a while ago I picked up Colour of Magic and read it intermittently without ever really getting into it or thinking it was anything too special. I was given Going Postal as a gift a couple of years ago and finally picked it up and attempted it due to my keenness to get into the Discworld series. I'm glad I did!

It's very different to the normal sort of crime/action books I read and I'm trying to broaden my horizons with different styles
Olga Godim
I’m reading the Discworld series out of sequence but I like everything I’ve read so far. This is the installment #33, one of the latest ones, and it’s not nearly as funny as the earlier books. This novel is more serious; it might even be called tragic… as only a Discworld book could get. I mean, Pratchett’s parody gets so profound here, sometimes you want to laugh and weep at the same time. Or curse at the human follies and corporate immorality. Yes, this book is about greedy corporations.
In An
Kathleen
4.5 stars. A repeater! Loved this fabulous book! It's pure fantasy, with humans and golums mainly, but also werewolves, dwarves, trolls, etc. Going Postal is a joy on several counts, but especially character development, plot, humor, and historic references (it's set in a guild-controlled city much like Hamburg or London, around 1400 -- a fictional city, on a fictional magical planet, called Discworld).

The anti-hero is an expert con-man, a clever operator with a good heart. He is about to be ex
Milototo
Книжката внезапно се оказа изклчително актуална към днешния момент със ситуациято около КТБ.

Преводът в читанка става, преводачът малко се е напъвал прекалено много на някои места.

Малко цитати:

***
Въздухът издаваше присъствието на чорапи, евтини въглища и липса на вентилация.

***
Що за човек трябва да си, за да поставиш известен престъпник начело на важен клон на правителствения апарат? Добре де, що за човек, като не броим средностатистическия избирател?

***
Откраднеш пет долара и ще си мръсен крад
Glimmerfee
Feucht von Lipwig eigentlich zum Tode wegen seiner ganzen Betrügereien verurteilt, bekommt von Lord Vetinari ein Angebot, dass er nur schwerlich ausschlagen kann. Er soll der neue Postminister werden. Damit er nicht auf dumme Gedanken kommt, wird ihm der Golem Herr Pumpe zur Seite gestellt. Es gibt für Lipwig eine schicke Mütze, einen goldenen Anzug und hier kommen wir zum Haken, ein Postamt, dass bis zu den Zimmerdecken mit unerledigter Post angefüllt ist. Nicht das die Menschen und was sich so ...more
Debbi
While I always enjoy Pratchett's unusual ways of seeing the world and his sense of humor, I found this book to be slow. I was ready for it to be done by page 300 but still had nearly 100pages more to go.

That said, it was still another fun, witty ride through the Discworld Universe. Moist was a likeable con-man, and I hope we see more of him and the Gollems (really liked them). I loved the idea of a defunct post office building filled to the brim with letters. I loved the idea of trying to bring
Steve
An engaging and entertaining installment in the Discworld series. Pratchett takes on the culture, lore, and mythology of the postal service in an era of commercial competition; in that context, he spins out a chaotic, amusing, and, periodically, thought provoking yarn....

Disclaimer for regulars: this is one of those installments which could - arguably - stand on its own with only limited familiarity with the Discworld. The Going Postal story line was (in large part) devoid of Pratchett's more ma
X5-494
Going Postal – Terry Pratchett

I’ve always had a bit of a problem with Terry Pratchett’s books, when they weren’t about one of his „major“ character groups; The Watch, The Witches, DEATH etc. For example, I just couldn’t get the hang of “Small Gods” or “The Thief of Time”, and finally gave up reading those books. Yes, Ladies and Gentleman (or should I say Lords and Ladies? ;), I haven’t read ALL Terry Pratchett books there are. Sue me.

I don’t really know what propelled me into trying to read “Goi
La Stamberga dei ...: Going Postal di Terry Pratchett 2 17 Jan 16, 2013 12:01PM
  • Barking
  • The Suburban Book Of The Dead: Armageddon III: The Remake
  • The Fourth Bear (Nursery Crime, #2)
  • The Tough Guide to Fantasyland
  • In the Company of Ogres
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2)
  • Eight Skilled Gentlemen
  • Pani jeziora (Saga o Wiedźminie, #7)
Sir Terry Pratchett sold his first story when he was thirteen, which earned him enough money to buy a second-hand typewriter. His first novel, a humorous fantasy entitled The Carpet People, appeared in 1971 from the publisher Colin Smythe. Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, including his first Discworld novel, ...more
More about Terry Pratchett...
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1) Mort (Discworld, #4) Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8) Night Watch (Discworld, #29)

“Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?” 541 likes
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?” 348 likes