Start by marking “Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4)” as Want to Read:
Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4)

Blood Promise (Vampire Academy #4)

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  174,708 ratings  ·  6,711 reviews
BOUND BY LOVE, BUT SWORN TO KILL . . .

GUARDIAN ROSE HATHAWAY'S LIFE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME.

The recent attack on St. Vladimir's Academy devastated the entire Moroi world. Many are dead. And, for the few victims carried off by Strigoi, their fates are even worse. A rare tattoo now adorns Rose's neck; a mark that says she's killed far too many Strigoi to count.

But only one v...more
Published August 26th 2009 by Razorbill (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Promise

Jazzy
Tatiana
Mar 30, 2010 Tatiana rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hardcore VA fans
"Shadow Kiss" left us with Rose on the way to find and kill her beloved Dimitri who had fallen during a fight with Strigoi. "Blood Promise" picks up where Rose is in Moscow, looking for traces of Dimitri. Needless to say, she finds him, but I will not go into any more detail to avoid spoilers.

I hate to say it, but I am fairly disappointment by this book. In my opinion, it is so far the weakest in the series. It is by no means the worst book ever written, but the fact that Richelle Mead didn't p...more
Carlita
The Holy Terror
*3.5 Stars*
The main reason I'm rating this one lower than the previous three? The first 300 pages were BORING. (-1 star) This book could almost have started on page 300 and still have been great. I understand the need for back story, but I was frustrated and annoyed at how much I had to slog through to get to the main story of the book. Setting the stage is one thing, dragging things out to artificially create tension and mood is another. I rounded up to 4 stars because I was genuinely surprised...more
Heather
Mead has blown my mind. I'm riddled with angst and a bit pissed off actually. Blood Promise is nothing like the previous VA books and she has murdered her characters, with the exception of Adrian, which is the only reason I gave this book 2 stars instead of one.

First of all, the first few chapters are filled with inconsistencies, not to mention new characters and societies that serve no other purpose than to aid Rose on her quest and to allow Mead to include secondary characters such as Lissa an...more
Stacia (the 2010 club)
The time has come. It doesn't matter that I read this book forever and a day ago. Blood Promise deserves a review - one that I wrongfully neglected to give at the time of finishing. The 5 star rating at the top says nothing about why I loved this book back then, nor does it say why I still think about this story even now. I doubt I'll ever go back and write reviews for the rest of the series but this book...it's in my soul. Don't expect one of my normal polished reviews. I just wanted to finally...more
Liz
First half of the book:

Rose has to go a hard way full of stones and death and pain. She meets Sydney and Dimitri's family and gets to know his world. Rose is ready to do anything to find and to kill him.

And finally, she finds him...
Second half of the book:

Dimitri as a Strigoi. A very very evil version of Dimitri. A passionated one, but still evil. He is brutal, he is merciless. He is completely different from the Dimitri we know.
And the relationship between him and Rose changes completely. E...more
LMM
So 1st I have to say that I love Mead. But this book was only OK to Good for me which I guess was a disappointment. I think she could have & has done much better. To summarize, I didn't feel as emotionally connected to the characters & I expected to be, esp after the last book. But also - I think structurally, the book was too condensed & didn't have to be.

OK so here I go, SPOILERS for VA #4 - BLOOD PROMISE BELOW:

I felt there was far too much recap of the previous 3 books. Literally...more
Kat Kennedy
If I had to give the first 3/4 of this book a review, I would have given it two stars at the most.

The plot was painfully, agonizingly slow with many, many unnecessary characters and plotlines that just bugged the hell out of me. I found myself skipping large portions of text to get to anything worth reading.

The last quarter of this book however, earned that last two stars. It was intense, amazing, beautiful. I almost cried. I wanted to cry. What happened at the end... on the bridge... well bugge...more
Kristi
Three words; i'm just going to do one this time. Amazing.

I love this series. Plain and simple. I've been a fan since the beginning and I can't helped but get sucked in every time. This is my favorite vampire series. Heck, it's one of my most favorites, vampire or not.

The plot is fantastic, action packed, twists and turns galore. The characters are right on, they continue to grow and develop, become even more dimensional as the series continues. The writing is amazing. I just absolutely enjoyed r...more
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Janina
Hmm. I was a little bit disappointed by this fourth installment of the VA series. I haven't been all ecstatic about the first three books either, but I definitely enjoyed reading them.
But with this one, I was actually contemplating giving up on the series altogether after the first 100 pages because it was painfully slow and uneventful. The first half of this book only consisted of a) retelling what happened previously, b) Rose talking about how great Dimitri was or c) Rose recalling all the gre...more
DemonKitty003
I want to read this book!!!!!! God if she has to kill Dimitri I am so going to...I don't know what I'll do but I am so going to do something if he dies!!!! UGH!!! I want to know what is going to happen so badly!!!!!
Lucy
Raiatea
Hey.
I have a theroy. PLEASE DONT 'SPOILERIZE' IT!!!!!!!!!
I think its pretty good. Here it is.
(Sorry its all in Caps!)
DIMIRTI HAS LEFT. HES IN RUSSIA(already known from Richelle).SHES ALMOST THERE. THEN SHE COMES ACCROSS ADRIAN, LISSA AND CHIRSTIAN AND EDDIE. OF COURSE THERE GOING TO TRY TO GET HER BACK. ONLY ADRIAN AND LISSA KNOW ABOUT DIMITRI AND ROSE STILL. SOMEHOW ROSE GETS THEM TO STAY. THEY FIND DIMITRI AND ABOUT 10 OTHER STRIGOI. ROSE TAKES DOWN 3 BUT THEN GET HIT AND ALMOST DIES. DIMITRI...more
Imee Andrea
Dec 18, 2008 Imee Andrea marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
....i cant wait for this book to come out. I"m dying to know if whom will Rose end up with... will it be Adrian or Dmitri... Is Dmitri a Strigoi now or was just kept prisoner... If he's A Strigoi, will Rose be able to kill him... or him kill her?...
Teamedward4evr
Brenna
"Worry about staying alive first. Then worry about how you're going to live."

It's getting harder and harder to review books in this series! So much happens in each one! There would be spoilers galore if I tried to delve too deeply into the plot of Blood Promise.

Book #3 ended with a pretty HUGE cliffhanger that had me begging and pleading wouldn't be real. I considered every scenario to rationalize that that one thing did not just happen! But... it did. *sigh* Pretty much all I can tell you wit...more
Booknut
You have got to love a series which finds new ways to emotional destroy you with every book.

First, it was the star-crossed love shipwreck.
Moving on, we're given the Sixth Sense-like experience.
Then, it was the crap-tastic apocalypse episode of My Boyfriend's The Living Dead What The Hell Do I Do?

And now, it's the super-duper swell cliffhanger which goes along the lines of people who are meant to be dead never, ever stay dead.

Why? I mean...just die already!
Not that I want him dead.
No I don't.
And...more
♔ Leah.
Oh Blood Promise, how I loathe thee... let me count the ways…

Now in my opinion, Shadow Kiss was probably the strongest book in the whole series. Yes, I hated Rose in that and Dimitri too; but in terms of momentum, taking the plot onto a whole new level, the level of action as well as development of some of the characters, which happen to be the ones I like, all made up for her and his fuckery.

However, this book was a hot mess; it wasn’t totally bad— there were some good points but this book wa...more
Ronda
From previous books, we all know by now that I think Richelle Mead is an amazing author, a Goddess of writing and toying with one's emotions, simply fantastic!!!!

What do I think of Rose, however, that is a question I had to find an answer to, not only what I thought of Rose, but Dimitri and Adrian... Characters that I simply cannot get enough of and characters that are having an impact on me everytime I see their name!!!

Rose, I love her! No other words for it, I adore her, admire her and I've cr...more
Miyong
Gillian
I KNEW IT

I KNEW IT

BUT ALSO

ASDJKLUFRTFGFKHSLFKSJF

okay where is Spirit Bound where the fuck are you book come here

no need to stop now

My whole life is Vampire Academy. I am a Vampire Academy blood whore. Addicted to the endorphins. In a blood whore haze.

Also, Adrian is flawless.
Jen
Fantastic book. I am so excited to read the next in the series, which I didn't think would happen, as I wasn't sure what could possibly happen after Blood Promise. I read this in one sitting, not able to get up. The writing and characters get better and better, more likeable, and I don't want to give anything away, but the story is heartbreaking, funny, full of twists and completely captivating.
(I got this early by ordering from the book depository for the curious!)
Yvette
***PUEDE CONTENER SPOILERS***

Los últimos capítulos...
description

Este libro en cada capítulo que leía estaba así: description

Yo... no... tengo... No sé, no sé, fue INCREÍBLE.

Al principio me pareció ligero, y algo aburrido, hasta me llegue a aburrir, me entre en un nuevo mundo: Los Alquimistas, espero saber luego más sobre ellos.

El cambio de cada personaje fue demasiado... description

ME ENCANTO. Ver cómo cada personaje cambiaba mediante los capítulos, hasta me encanto ver a Rose tan estúpida, y puta de sangre, al ver a Lissa tan...more
Heather
Each book of this series gets better and better. Blood Promise was an excellent read and I absolutely loved it. I'm happy to note, I wasn't disappointed with anything that unfolded. I can't believe we have to wait until next May for book 5. It feels like an eternity away...sigh. I guess I'll have to manage until then. HA!

***Caution- below may contain some spoilers, so don't read further if you haven't read the book. This review is more on my feelings on how the plot in Blood Promise unfolded:**...more
Sarah (saz101)
I don’t know how Richelle Mead’s done it, but the post-Frostbite Vampire Academy series instalments keep getting better. Blood Promise is gripping, dark, and within its pages, it feels like VA, along with its incredible protagonist, Rose Hathaway, is growing up... and growing up ain’t easy.

Roza:
The further I read into the Vampire Academy series, the more I’m convinced Rose is one the finest examples of a young adult protagonist I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading. She’s strong, independent, co...more
Carmaletta Hilton
Sofia
Michelle
Wow.

THAT ENDING THOUGH. This book was not how I envisioned it to turn out.

I've said it before and I'm saying it again, this time with true confidence in my words; Richelle Mead's writing is improving with each and every book in the series, and you would have to be truly oblivious not to notice.

I have to admit, the beginning was fairly slow, but it was understandable, due to the fact Richelle took time to introduce us to Rose's new surroundings and give us a 'feel' of how she's living. Halfway t...more
Team Adrian or Team Dimitri 177 461 Oct 22, 2014 02:52PM
Do you think it was creepy that dimitri kidnapped rose or cute? 209 779 Oct 22, 2014 02:41PM
do you think vampire acadamy is better then twilight??? 188 511 Oct 21, 2014 04:56PM
Dimitri and Rose. 7514 2250 Oct 10, 2014 08:15PM
We ♥ YA Books! : Series Readalong #7: Blood Promise by Richelle Mead 1 5 Oct 09, 2014 04:40AM
sexiest of the sexy! game time! 25 62 Oct 08, 2014 10:12AM
Addicted to YA: Blood Promise 21 312 Aug 21, 2014 02:15PM
  • Midnight Alley (The Morganville Vampires, #3)
  • Foretold: 14 Tales of Prophecy and Prediction
  • Spark (Elemental, #2)
  • Deity (Covenant, #3)
  • At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3)
  • Stargazer (Evernight, #2)
  • Dark Frost (Mythos Academy, #3)
  • The Wedding of Antanasia Jessica Packwood and Lucius Valeriu Vladescu (Jessica, #1.5)
  • Betrayals (Strange Angels, #2)
  • Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires, #5)
  • Forgiven (The Demon Trappers, #3)
  • Taken at Dusk (Shadow Falls, #3)
  • The Van Alen Legacy (Blue Bloods, #4)

A life-long reader, Richelle has always loved mythology and folklore. When she can actually tear herself away f...more
More about Richelle Mead...
Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2) Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3) Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6)

“I’d said it before and meant it: Alive or undead, the love of my life was a badass.” 4595 likes
“I know how devastated you must be to miss me, but leave a message, and I'll try to ease your agony” 2466 likes