The Blue Viking (Viking I, #5)

The Blue Viking (Viking I #5)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  750 ratings  ·  30 reviews

What in the name of Thor could be making this Viking so blue?
- Eating haggis?
- Listening to those insufferable bagpipes?
- Traveling through Scotland with the world's worst poet?
- Searching for the infuriatingly inept witch who's cursed his face... and even more important parts?

For Rurik the Viking, life has not been worth living since he left Maire of the Moors. Oh, it's n

Mass Market Paperback, 395 pages
Published February 3rd 2001 by Leisure Books

Fires of Winter by Johanna LindseyHearts Aflame by Johanna LindseySurrender My Love by Johanna LindseyDream of Me/Believe in Me by Josie LittonGolden Surrender by Heather Graham
Best Viking Romances
17th out of 63 books — 109 voters
Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice DavidsonNobody Loves a Bigfoot Like a Bigfoot Babe by Simon OkillDead to the World by Charlaine HarrisDead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisNice Girls Don't Have Fangs by Molly Harper
Humorous Paranormal Books
334th out of 922 books — 1,405 voters

More lists with this book...

Penny Watson
The Blue Viking by Sandra Hill

I needed some humor, so I turned to Sandra Hill. Well, I got the humor (Bolthor's poems continue to entertain), but I also got a touching love story. And a nice, lusty one, too. I am totally digging this author. She has an amazing way of blending humor, emotional depth of character, plot and conflict, and lusty loving. If I had a crystal ball, I would predict......more Vikings in my future. Oh yeah!
(My only beef with The Blue Viking was that it started out a little...more
Melanie
I reviewed this book for Romance Reader At Heart website.

RRAH's THOUGHTS AND PONDERINGS:

I'm truly dreading to voice my thoughts on this book. I know that I'm going to offend a lot of Sandra Hill fans, but here it goes.

As I read this tale, I couldn't help but think of the movie `Robin Hood; Men in Tights'. That movie was a spoof on the Robin Hood legend, and this book, in my opinion, is a spoof on `Spartacus' in general, Vikings in particular.

The plot is simple. Rurik the Vein had a short lia...more
Melissa
I was stripping mass markets last week and came across this one - once I read the jacket copy I knew I had to read it: hot Viking bags Scotswoman (a witch, of course), leaves her and receives a blue zig-zag on his face in retaliation; searches for like three years for her to make her remove the mark, finds her, decides to punish her by having lots of mind-blowing sex with her (if that's a punishment, sign me up!), and [spoiler] not only saves her clan from a murderous rival clan (in a fight you'...more
Jennifer The Forgetful Fairy Queen
This book makes me wish I could go A-Viking. LOL I enjoyed Maire's character a lot. She bungled up her spells so all her witchery came out wonky. A girl after my own heart. Rurik, was amazing to me, again another sexy Viking. Sandra Hill writes funny, so well in her romances. Some recurring characters from other books of hers made appearances. I love Bolthor the Skald. His poetry is the best! My favorite part in this book was all the men having a ribbon tied on one of there fingers. LOL I won't...more
Tammy
Feb 21, 2012 Tammy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: historical romance lovers
This was the first book of this series I read a few years ago and I was hooked. Rurik is my favorite of her characters. You cannot read this book without getting a smile. Rurik the Vain is on a mission to find the witch Maire of the Moors who lives in the hated Scotland. When he finds her will he remain Rurik the Blue or will he be Rurik the Scottish Viking.
Amber
The Blue Viking only added to my growing love for Viking novels, especially by the great Sandra Hill! I had to piece together why he was called the Blue Viking, and I absolutly love the reason! Great book, 10000 stars!
Brandie
There are some things you read just to escape, and this one fits the bill perfectly. Hilarious, like most of her books are, and set in the days of the Vikings (as you may have figured). Made me laugh right out loud!
Abi
When I finished reading "The Bewitched Viking" I was very curious with Rurik's story. I was honestly wondering what was up with the Blue line. So, after i finished with Tyrik's tale, I immediately went down to my favorite bookshop and bought this book.

As for my review, I give it a 3. The story didn't exactly reach up to my expectations but i enjoyed it nonetheless. Rurik i think lacks depth. He is vain, and I know it was because of how he was treated before and everything, But i don't know if h...more
Judith
Reissued after over a decade from its first publishing, this re-done Viking novel is another fine example of Sandra Hill's good writing, her attention to detail, her never-failing sense of humor that she interjects into her characters and their interaction with one another, as well as her evident desire to help contemporary fiction readers also learn some new and surprising information about the Viking culture and lifestyle in the 10th century. Her the Vikings re-visit a familiar location in Sco...more
Alex
I didn't expect much from the book and in the end I didn't get much. But I still liked it

Alex's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Sally
Jul 28, 2011 Sally added it
Another fluffy train trash read. I enjoyed it. I certainly didn't find it hilarious. I think cultural differences in humour clearly come into play here. It did make me smile though and the story was good enough and the characters charismatic enough, that I kept interested to the predictable end.

I do wish Sandra Hill would learn how to use derivatives of the swear word "bloody" or leave it well alone. It was misused in the same way multiple time in this book and it drove me quite mad. A quick ch...more
Amanda
I love, love, LOVE Sandra Hill books...she captivates me with her writing every book and this one was no different.
I also love how when you read all of her Viking books they all intertwine with one another. The characters reoccur throughout the books even though the book has a completely different set of main characters.
Marina
My tastes are simple when it comes to a book. I want to be involved and entertained.With this book I was. I had fun reading it. The read went quickly. Ms. Hill does not disappoint.

This book or another could be yours for just the price of S&H at booksfreeswap.com. Just find me on there friend me and we will swap.
Rumpusparable
As I've said elsewhere, I find Sandra Hill's Viking stories rather hit and miss. This one was more of a miss. There were fun parts, but the characters weren't very engaging or even that likable. The romance wasnt particularly believable or hot.

Basically, it was amusing at times but not that great.
Rachel Cron
I loved this book...Funny, sweet, sexy. It kept me turning the pages n I'm a lil' sad it's ended. The characters are lovable and the story flowed nicely.
Karry
Loved it! Now tied for 1st place favorite book of the series with Selik's book! Sexy, heartwarming, hilariously funny, and just well done!!
Cher
This is the BEST romance novel I have ever read. I'd liken it to one of the hilarious Xena episodes, totally zany and fun.
Diana
Rurik the Viking seeks out the Scottish witch who put a blue stripe on his face.

OK book. Interesting mix.
Andrea
I found this book funny and romanctic with just a tad of danger thrown in. This book is a keeper.
Ashley
I enjoyed this one immensely! Rurik is officially my favorite Viking man!
Danette Steward
If you want a humorous Viking/Highlander read then this is for you.
Sam Slessor
Utter fluffy bodice ripper and rather graphic. Bit of a laugh.
Starla Kaye
I loved the characters, especially the hero.
Sherry
Mar 16, 2008 Sherry added it
I'm hooked on Sandra Hill, What more can I say
Margaret
very humorous. I enjoy reading her books.
Felicia
This one was so far my fav one so far.
Nikel27
Funny to read, hate the cover
Kelly
Jul 14, 2008 Kelly marked it as to-read
Shelves: sandra-hill
feb 2001
  • The Heavenward Path (Mitsuko, #2)
  • Hanatsukihime, Vol. 02
  • Who Ran My Underwear Up The Flagpole
  • G.A. Aiken Bundle: The Dragon Who Loved Me, What a Dragon Should Know, & Last Dragon Standing
  • For Hating Me You Sure Are Possessive
  • Wishful Thinking
  • Lord of the Wolves (Viking #3)
  • Of Darkness and Crowns (Goddess Wars, #2)
  • The Secret Notes of Lady Kanoko, Volume 1
  • Rejar (Matrix of Destiny, #2)
  • Unexpected
  • Viking!
  • Ravished by a Viking
  • The Viking's Captive Princess
  • Marry Me, Maddie
  • Princess of Fire (Fire, #1)
  • Ghost Hunt, Volume 1
  • Lip Lock

Sandra Hill is a graduate of Penn State and worked for more than 10 years as a features writer and education editor for publications in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Writing about serious issues taught her the merits of seeking the lighter side of even the darkest stories. Sh...more
More about Sandra Hill...
The Last Viking (Viking II, #1) Tall, Dark, and Cajun (Cajun, #2) The Reluctant Viking (Viking I, #1) The Cajun Cowboy (Cajun, #3) The Very Virile Viking (Viking II, #3)