Start by marking “Fashion in the Time of Jane Austen” as Want to Read:
Fashion in the Time of Jane Austen

Fashion in the Time of Jane Austen

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  317 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
The broader Regency period 1795-1820 stands alone as an incredible moment in fashion history unlike anything that went before or after. It was the most naked period since Ancient Greece and before the 1960s, and for the first time England became a fashion influence, especially for menswear, and became the toast of Paris. With the ancient regime deposed, court dress became ...more
Published March 23rd 2010 by Shire Publications

To ask other readers questions about Fashion in the Time of Jane Austen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fashion in the Time of Jane Austen

Abigail Bok
Jul 21, 2016 Abigail Bok rated it liked it
Sarah Jane Downing’s tiny book—64 pages, lavishly illustrated—is both more and less than a history of fashion in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries (mostly in England).

On the “more” side, it places fashion in the context of the shifting ideas and historical events of the age: for instance, the simple, high-waisted shifts that came into the mode for women in the 1790s are seen as reflecting ideas about liberty, interest in neoclassicism, and changing notions about child-rearing.
Gemma (Non Fic Books)
Feb 19, 2016 Gemma (Non Fic Books) rated it really liked it
A lovely little compact book giving a nice overview of the fashions Jane Austen would have known and worn. A great addition to the Shire History series.
Kara
Aug 20, 2013 Kara rated it it was amazing

Loved it! Amazing in depth look at the styles of the time period, with a TON of primary sources - some fantastic paintings and drawings that really showed the varieties and intricacies of the style, both for men and women. Loved seeing both what it influenced later and what was influencing its inception.

Gorgeous!
Ayne Ray
Jun 11, 2011 Ayne Ray rated it really liked it
A mere wisp of a book at only 63 pages, but it is informative and engaging with plenty of illustrations. I was left wanting more, but was pleased with what was provided.
Laurel
May 19, 2010 Laurel rated it it was amazing
A little glistening jewel of information on British fashion during the Georgian and Regency periods

Revolution had changed the world and fashion had dressed it accordingly.” Sarah Jane Downing

It is hard for me not to think of a Jane Austen movie adaptation and not remember how fashion influenced my enjoyment of the film. Some of my most vivid memories are of Elizabeth Bennet walking the verdant countryside in her russet colored spencer jacket in Pride and Prejudice 1995, Marianne Dashwood sprai
Judith
A book writtend for the popular audience without foot/end notes. The omission of the latter made me give it 4 stars, but it is full of information and is well-illustrated, in color. I would have liked information on who created the paintings or sources of the illustrations. The fashion is, of course, limited to the upper 10,000 (as the phrase went), but does include attention to the attire of the children of the gentry and nobility. I would have liked a definition of the difference (or a stateme ...more
Camille
Very interesting with plenty of nice illustrations.
Dominika
Jan 18, 2014 Dominika rated it it was amazing
Gyönyörű és egyben érdekes. Rengeteg új dolgot tanulhattam a régi időkből. Nagyon érdekel a divat téma az akkori 1700-1800as időkben, így tudtam, hogy érdemes elolvasnom a könyvet. A hab a tortán az volt, hogy Jane Austen életéből és műveiből is szőttek bele mondatokat, példákat az akkori divattal. Végre értelmet nyert pár ruhadarab is, amit régebbi regényekben olvasni szoktam. Egyszerűen tökéletes volt; megismerhettem elsősorban az akkori divatot, hóbortokat, híres akkori sztárokat akik diktált ...more
Nicki Markus
Dec 25, 2015 Nicki Markus rated it liked it
Shelves: read-non-fiction
Fashion in the Time of Jane Austen was an interesting read as I liked the way the author linked fashion changes to the events that influenced them. However, I would have liked the book to be a little longer to include more information on the clothing of the day, even if it was only in the form of a glossary that listed every item of clothing with a short sentence on what it was and when it was worn.
As an author, I want to make my works historically accurate and I have yet to find a decent book o
Rianne Werring
Jun 12, 2015 Rianne Werring rated it really liked it
Only one thing kept me from giving this book a five star review: it's as wispy and thin as a corsetted lady! Apart from that, it's a very informative bit of writing, with helpful illustrations providing detailed information on fashion in the time of Jane Austen. A help to anyone interested in the fashion of the period, in the meaning of historical fashion on the socio-political level, or with a love for Ms Austen's work.
Kelli Quinn
Jan 07, 2016 Kelli Quinn rated it it was amazing
A very good introduction to the subject. While it may seem frivolous, clothing in Regency England had remarkable ties to the politics of the day, as well as new schools of philosophical thought. The book is full of illustrations from contemporary books, magazines, paintings, and newspapers. There is even a watercolor of Jane herself!
K.M. Weiland
Aug 13, 2014 K.M. Weiland rated it really liked it
Short and sweet approach to the popular fashion of the Regency period. What is especially interesting is the explanations of why certain historical fashions came into being—for practical and political reasons. The book contains just enough illustrations to be helpful and is an excellent resource for a book of its size.
Margaret Pinard
Oct 05, 2014 Margaret Pinard rated it it was amazing
A short but well illustrated and well written booklet on clothing and styles from 1790s to 1820. Great fodder for an author!
Jane Cook
Apr 28, 2015 Jane Cook rated it it was amazing
Quick easy read about the Regency fashion world of Jane Austen.
Lisa Frase
Jan 10, 2011 Lisa Frase rated it liked it
I bought this book as a reference for my research into the Regency period. There are lots of wonderful colored pictures of fashions, as well as information on the fashions. It's a good book for Regency writers to have around. The only downside (for me) is that there are as many, if not more, Georgian fashions than Regency. I would also like pictures and information on unmentionables -information that the author did not mention. All in all, I do not regret purchasing this book. I need visuals whe ...more
Jessica
May 31, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
Excellent material and images for such a slim volume. Quite readable.
Katie Lewis
Jan 20, 2014 Katie Lewis rated it it was amazing
Very good short read. I've always been interested in the history of fashion, and I thought the parallels from the Regency Era and the Jazz Age fashions were interesting.
Alethea White-Previs
Apr 25, 2016 Alethea White-Previs rated it it was amazing
This was a very short book, but nonetheless packed chock full of information on Regency fashions. It was especially enlightening in that it was filled with color fashion plates of dresses and other accoutrements of the time. It’s all a bit much to wrap one’s head around, the very subtle differences in one pelisse and another, one walking dress, one day dress, etc. But as a reference material for Austen-era fashion, it is irreplaceable.
Lynne Tull
Jun 15, 2011 Lynne Tull rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is the greatest little book...63 pages. I have been reading historical fiction forever...especially, the English Regency Period. This book is full of illustrations and the text relates them to Jane Austen books and the Period in general. If you are an Anglophile, you might enjoy this book...maybe you have already found it...and I am a little behind?
May 17, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Jane Austen fans, history buffs
A short, concise history of the development of fashion trends in Georgian England, Fashion in the time of Jane Austen by Sarah-Jane Downing is a fascinating read. Brilliantly put together, the book is filled with fashion plates and artwork from the period, providing the reader a true glimpse into the revolutionary fashion of the time. Recommended!
Jun 04, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
A great introductory to fashion in the times of Jane Austen for readers looking for a general survey of the times. For scholars, it's too elementary.

What I like about the Shire series is how full of illustrations they are. Instead of just reading about something, there's an illustration to visually show you what they are talking about.
Gaile
Sep 10, 2011 Gaile rated it really liked it
This is about the fashions of Jane Austen's time with color plates and descriptions of the clothes. It also describes the political climate that caused such a drastic change in fashion after the French Revolution. There are also cartoons satirizing the fashions of the day. I thought this quite good and the color plates very beautiful.
Robin
Jan 11, 2014 Robin rated it really liked it
Shelves: england, history
4.5 stars.

Wonderful little (only 63 pages!) addition to my fashion shelf.
Jordan
Aug 11, 2016 Jordan rated it really liked it
Very helpful reference book for both male and female fashions!
Jackie
Jul 20, 2011 Jackie rated it really liked it
A very brief (64 pages) summary of the fashions in vogue during the late 18th and early 19th century. Lots of illustrations from fashion periodicals of the day, period paintings, and photographs of period clothing make this a useful reference, as does its narrow focus.
Vic
Apr 24, 2010 Vic rated it really liked it
Fabulous book. A must have for those who are interested in Regency fashion. Read my review of the book at this link on Jane Austen's World.

Ting
Sep 20, 2011 Ting rated it really liked it
For such a small book it is quite informative. A great starting point for anyone interested in Regency clothing.
Nicole
Nov 13, 2011 Nicole added it
Short and easy, with terrific illustrations, leaving one longing for the sartorial weapons of a more civilized age.
Ashley
Nov 09, 2013 Ashley rated it really liked it
Filled with lovely imagery of centuries old fashion. An interesting read for any fashionista and history buff.
  • Jane Austen's World: The Life and Times of England's Most Popular Author
  • The Gentleman's Daughter: Women's Lives in Georgian England
  • Jane Austen: The World of Her Novels
  • In the Garden with Jane Austen
  • Jane Austen's Guide to Good Manners: Compliments, Charades & Horrible Blunders
  • A Dance with Jane Austen: How a Novelist and Her Characters Went to the Ball