Start by marking “Bring It On (Retrievers, #3)” as Want to Read:
Bring It On (Retrievers, #3)

Bring It On (Retrievers #3)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  913 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Nobody said juggling a career and a relationship would be easy... Wren Valere used to have a simple life. Her partner Sergei would negotiate the terms of the Retrieval � all right, the theft � and she would use her magical Talent to carry it out. Paycheck deposited, on to the next job.

Now? Her relationship with Sergei is even more complicated (sex will do that). Her f

Published June 20th 2006 by Luna

To ask other readers questions about Bring It On, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bring It On

Starfire
It feels like forever since I read Book 2 of this series, so I'd forgotten a vast amount of what had gone before. However, I felt like I managed to mostly piece it together as I read, and it didn't hold me back too much.

Once more, I love Wren as a character (and Sergei is one of the better rounded out boyfriends-of-female-leads I've come across in an urban fantasy series too) I love that she manages to be highly competent at what she does, but still be flawed enough to be human - and of course,
Veronica
Katharine Kimbriel
Our heroine is Wren Valere, a talented young woman in her late 20s who is a lonejack, a solo magic user raised up in a soloist tradition. She works as a “retriever” – essentially a thief with considerable magical talents. Someone stole something from you – something magical, dangerous, powerful? You pay Valere and her “manager” Sergei Didier, and she’ll steal it right back.

New York City is a vibrant place at any time, but in LAG’s world talents (those who feel and manipulate current) and nulls (
Nathalie
In this book Wren Valere is wrapped up in her grief over Lee dying as well what is going on with the attacks on the fatae community, as well as the disappearances in the lonejack community. Meanwhile, Sergei is also wrapped up in his involvement with the Silence, a super secret not for profit agency he once worked for. So when Wren decides to take on a Retrieval it's no surprise that she doesn't want to involve Sergei (he almost died when they went after the Nescanni Parchment in Italy -Curse th ...more
Seth
This one is a little different from the first two in the series. The actual retrieval mission is a very small part of the book, with is starting up midway in, picking up in another chapter or two, and ending before the 2/3 point.

The main plot here is the vigilante attacks on the fatae (magical creatures)--and, possibly, on Talents (magic using humans). This merges into Sergei's plot with The Silence (his old secret society of agents that clean up magical and non-magical messes) as well as the M
C.V. Madison
The overall plot arch is really beginning to thicken! Wren is in over her head with nowhere to go but with the current (pun-intentional) and do what it is she does best. I'm really curious to see where this series is going and what is going to put the kibosh on KimAnn. I'm not entirely sure what she's got up her sleeve, but it can't be anything good.

The retrieval in this book was almost too easy for Wren and she nearly failed, which is a first so far. I'm glad to see that she isn't perfect. Too
Rachel
Wow, I'm really liking this series. In this one, the politics intensify, and I might need to go back and read it again to make sure I caught all of who was betraying whom. It wasn't quite as upbeat as the previous ones, but part of that was the death of an important character in the previous book, and part was the difficulty of being upbeat in the face of major civil unrest and deadly politics. At the same time, Wren and Sergei are continuing to try to define their relationship, and P.B. and Wre ...more
Martina the Book Fairy
Just finished Bring It On (★★★★) by Laura Anne Gilman. Out of the nine books on my list, this might be the newest one. I discovered the series in spring of 2008, so it's only been on my TBR for about 20 months. The series so far is pretty solidly in the urban fantasy genre. The Retrievers series take place in a modern day version of NYC where magic & non-human beings called the fatae (fairy, mythological, demonic creatures) exist side-by-side with humans.

Our protagonist, Wren Valere, is a R
Elisabeth Waters
I would have given this four stars if the city in California didn't keep changing from San Diego to San Jose and back. The two cities are over 400 miles apart, which is greater than the distance from New York City to Richmond, VA. It's like the New York definition of "ocean": the body of water separating America and Europe, as in: "California is 3000 miles from the ocean." (When I worked for DEC, which was headquartered in Nashua, NH, I actually had to write an article on "West Coast Geography f ...more
CJ - let me hold both your hands in the holes of my sweater
Sep 04, 2008 CJ - let me hold both your hands in the holes of my sweater rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like sex with their sci-fi fantasy mystery
I like this series, so I'm a little biased. I like Wren & Sergei and I even like PB :)

Good story, interesting plot and subplot (with the Null client and the necklace) and I enjoyed finding out about Sergei's little secret in regards to his relationship with Wren (it's not a bad one!).

I'm looking forward to more of a character maturation because the relationship is becoming sort of "stuck". There's no movement on either side. Mainly, Wren needs to grow up a bit more and both need to stop comp
Anita
I gave up on this book and the entire series on page 170-I set it down two months ago and haven't wanted to pick it up since. The series has taken a turn towards supernatural political intrigue that has turned me off to it. My verdict: boring. Too bad. If it had gone more in an action and/or romance direction instead, I probably would have liked it.

I can't really tell you what it's about - I disliked it enough to forget. Something about the Cosa Nostra plotting and Wren getting sucked in to rep
Ruth
c2006. First of all, I did not realise that this particular book was 3rd in a series. This obviously had a negative influence from the start as I don't think that this could be read as a stand alone. Next, one of the blurbs from SF Site said "I highly recommend this book to fans of urban fantasy, especially [to fans of] Jim Butcher, Charlaine Harris, Kim Harrison, or Laurell K Hamilton.". In my opinion, this is a pale imitation of those listed. Good for a light and quick read but not enjoyable e ...more
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
Where the first two books in the series had a primary story, with a secondary, larger background arc, this book is really about the larger arc with little-to-no primary story. This is a bit of a mixed bag, because while it moves the story as a whole into a larger framework, for quite a lot of the book very little seemed to happen and I felt that this book was much more about moving pieces about and setting up future events than actually accomplishing anything in it's own right.
Choco-cat
I have to start by saying that I didn't actually finish this book, so I feel a bit cruel giving it such a low rating.
It seems like it could be a fun, fluffy read, but I just had to give it up. I have way too many books I want to read and this one just couldn't catch my attention after 100 pages. Her writing style does nothing for me. It's too flat and stilted.
Katrina Michaels
In this book, a plot that has been simmering in the back during the previous two books comes now to the front and creates an intriguing story line. Also, the relationship between Gwen and Sergei continues to develop. My only problem with this book was that the ending was not as satisfactory as the previous two books.
Becca
Wren accepts the job without letting her business partner and lover Sergei Didier know as a way of asserting her independence. However, someone's trying to taker her out with psi-bombs. Many of the unaffiliated lonejacks are missing and the attacks on the fatae (nonhumans such as demons) are on the rise.
Jenn
Great book! Kept the action moving, adding just enough character development and introductions of new characters to keep the complexity involving without overwhelming the reader.

I love the Retriever series and can't wait to see what's waiting for Wren and the gang.
Kieraanne
This was pretty good, though once again the political stuff is boring me somewhat...although the brawl at the end did help.
Lemonitsa
June 19/11: Chapter 6
June 24/11: Chapter 8
June 25/11: Chapter 10
June 29/11: Chapter 14
June 30/11: Finished
Kelly
Third in the series, still not exciting me, I really struggled to finish this one.
Jenny
life is complicated so lets bring on the soap opera! r-rated. where's the adventure?
Trish
loved it...touch of magic in the modern world
Barbara
And this is where i gave up on this series.
Lindig
well done urban fantasy (had read before)
Brett
Apr 14, 2008 Brett added it
Science Fiction
colleen
read 02.21.07
  • Hands of Flame (Negotiator Trilogy/Old Races Universe #3)
  • Shadows of Prophecy
  • The Barbed Rose (One Rose Trilogy, #2)
  • Wraith (Zoe Martinique, #1)
  • Poison Sleep (Marla Mason, #2)
  • Rhiana (Changelings, #3)
  • Second Skin (Nocturne City, #3)
  • Cry Mercy (Mercy Hollings #3)
  • Underground (Greywalker, #3)
  • Spiral Hunt (Evie Scelan, #1)
  • Sacrifice (Mortal Path, #2)
  • Sorceress of Faith (The Summoning #2)
  • Water to Burn (Nola O'Grady, #2)
  • Silver's Lure
By the time she was fourteen, Laura Anne Gilman knew she would be an editor, a teacher, or a writer.

By thirty, she was all three. She's a little focused that way (when not being distracted by -oooh shiny!).

After fifteen years working in NY publishing, Laura Anne became a full-time writer, with more than twenty novels under her various bylines, including the Nebula Award-nominated Vineart War trilo
More about Laura Anne Gilman...
Staying Dead (Retrievers, #1) Hard Magic (Paranormal Scene Investigations #1) Curse the Dark (Retrievers, #2) Pack of Lies (Paranormal Scene Investigations #2) Deep Water (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #21)