Start by marking “Bring It On (Retrievers, #3)” as Want to Read:
Bring It On (Retrievers, #3)

Bring It On (Retrievers #3)

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,095 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Nobody said juggling a career and a relationship would be easy... Wren Valere used to have a simple life. Her partner Sergei would negotiate the terms of the Retrieval â all right, the theft â and she would use her magical Talent to carry it out. Paycheck deposited, on to the next job.

Now? Her relationship with Sergei is even more complicated (sex will do that). Her fello

Published June 20th 2006 by Luna

To ask other readers questions about Bring It On, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bring It On

Starfire
Nov 02, 2014 Starfire rated it really liked it
It feels like forever since I read Book 2 of this series, so I'd forgotten a vast amount of what had gone before. However, I felt like I managed to mostly piece it together as I read, and it didn't hold me back too much.

Once more, I love Wren as a character (and Sergei is one of the better rounded out boyfriends-of-female-leads I've come across in an urban fantasy series too) I love that she manages to be highly competent at what she does, but still be flawed enough to be human - and of course,
Veronica
Feb 04, 2014 Veronica rated it liked it
Corrin
Jun 10, 2015 Corrin rated it really liked it
I like this series. I love how you never know whats going on and you can feel the society of the city at large behind all of the politics. I like Wren and how her relationship with Sergi isn't perfect. I also enjoy how the author ties things together really well bringing places and feelings from other books back into play and characters who appear small into larger roles. It is a master piece of art just like all her other books but the little stories in each separate novel are enough to keep yo ...more
Katharine Kimbriel
Our heroine is Wren Valere, a talented young woman in her late 20s who is a lonejack, a solo magic user raised up in a soloist tradition. She works as a “retriever” – essentially a thief with considerable magical talents. Someone stole something from you – something magical, dangerous, powerful? You pay Valere and her “manager” Sergei Didier, and she’ll steal it right back.

New York City is a vibrant place at any time, but in LAG’s world talents (those who feel and manipulate current) and nulls (
Seth
Dec 03, 2007 Seth rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-f-h, modernfantasy
This one is a little different from the first two in the series. The actual retrieval mission is a very small part of the book, with is starting up midway in, picking up in another chapter or two, and ending before the 2/3 point.

The main plot here is the vigilante attacks on the fatae (magical creatures)--and, possibly, on Talents (magic using humans). This merges into Sergei's plot with The Silence (his old secret society of agents that clean up magical and non-magical messes) as well as the M
Carrie Vaughn
Mar 17, 2012 Carrie Vaughn rated it really liked it
The overall plot arch is really beginning to thicken! Wren is in over her head with nowhere to go but with the current (pun-intentional) and do what it is she does best. I'm really curious to see where this series is going and what is going to put the kibosh on KimAnn. I'm not entirely sure what she's got up her sleeve, but it can't be anything good.

The retrieval in this book was almost too easy for Wren and she nearly failed, which is a first so far. I'm glad to see that she isn't perfect. Too
Rachel
Feb 21, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: supernatural, fiction
Wow, I'm really liking this series. In this one, the politics intensify, and I might need to go back and read it again to make sure I caught all of who was betraying whom. It wasn't quite as upbeat as the previous ones, but part of that was the death of an important character in the previous book, and part was the difficulty of being upbeat in the face of major civil unrest and deadly politics. At the same time, Wren and Sergei are continuing to try to define their relationship, and P.B. and Wre ...more
Martina the Book Fairy
Jan 22, 2010 Martina the Book Fairy rated it really liked it
Just finished Bring It On () by Laura Anne Gilman. Out of the nine books on my list, this might be the newest one. I discovered the series in spring of 2008, so it's only been on my TBR for about 20 months. The series so far is pretty solidly in the urban fantasy genre. The Retrievers series take place in a modern day version of NYC where magic & non-human beings called the fatae (fairy, mythological, demonic creatures) exist side-by-side with humans.

Our protagonist, Wren Valere, is a Retri
Elisabeth Waters
I would have given this four stars if the city in California didn't keep changing from San Diego to San Jose and back. The two cities are over 400 miles apart, which is greater than the distance from New York City to Richmond, VA. It's like the New York definition of "ocean": the body of water separating America and Europe, as in: "California is 3000 miles from the ocean." (When I worked for DEC, which was headquartered in Nashua, NH, I actually had to write an article on "West Coast Geography f ...more
CJ -Doctor can you help me, 'cause somethin' don't feel right
Sep 04, 2008 CJ -Doctor can you help me, 'cause somethin' don't feel right rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like sex with their sci-fi fantasy mystery
I like this series, so I'm a little biased. I like Wren & Sergei and I even like PB :)

Good story, interesting plot and subplot (with the Null client and the necklace) and I enjoyed finding out about Sergei's little secret in regards to his relationship with Wren (it's not a bad one!).

I'm looking forward to more of a character maturation because the relationship is becoming sort of "stuck". There's no movement on either side. Mainly, Wren needs to grow up a bit more and both need to stop comp
Anita
I gave up on this book and the entire series on page 170-I set it down two months ago and haven't wanted to pick it up since. The series has taken a turn towards supernatural political intrigue that has turned me off to it. My verdict: boring. Too bad. If it had gone more in an action and/or romance direction instead, I probably would have liked it.

I can't really tell you what it's about - I disliked it enough to forget. Something about the Cosa Nostra plotting and Wren getting sucked in to rep
Ruth
Jul 23, 2011 Ruth rated it it was ok
c2006. First of all, I did not realise that this particular book was 3rd in a series. This obviously had a negative influence from the start as I don't think that this could be read as a stand alone. Next, one of the blurbs from SF Site said "I highly recommend this book to fans of urban fantasy, especially [to fans of] Jim Butcher, Charlaine Harris, Kim Harrison, or Laurell K Hamilton.". In my opinion, this is a pale imitation of those listed. Good for a light and quick read but not enjoyable e ...more
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
Where the first two books in the series had a primary story, with a secondary, larger background arc, this book is really about the larger arc with little-to-no primary story. This is a bit of a mixed bag, because while it moves the story as a whole into a larger framework, for quite a lot of the book very little seemed to happen and I felt that this book was much more about moving pieces about and setting up future events than actually accomplishing anything in it's own right.
Maryanne
Feb 10, 2015 Maryanne rated it it was amazing
great series
Katja
May 22, 2008 Katja rated it did not like it
I have to start by saying that I didn't actually finish this book, so I feel a bit cruel giving it such a low rating.
It seems like it could be a fun, fluffy read, but I just had to give it up. I have way too many books I want to read and this one just couldn't catch my attention after 100 pages. Her writing style does nothing for me. It's too flat and stilted.
Katrina Michaels
Jul 16, 2009 Katrina Michaels rated it liked it
In this book, a plot that has been simmering in the back during the previous two books comes now to the front and creates an intriguing story line. Also, the relationship between Gwen and Sergei continues to develop. My only problem with this book was that the ending was not as satisfactory as the previous two books.
Becca
Mar 18, 2012 Becca rated it liked it
Shelves: never-finished
Wren accepts the job without letting her business partner and lover Sergei Didier know as a way of asserting her independence. However, someone's trying to taker her out with psi-bombs. Many of the unaffiliated lonejacks are missing and the attacks on the fatae (nonhumans such as demons) are on the rise.
Jennifer Juilano
Great book! Kept the action moving, adding just enough character development and introductions of new characters to keep the complexity involving without overwhelming the reader.

I love the Retriever series and can't wait to see what's waiting for Wren and the gang.
Kieraanne
This was pretty good, though once again the political stuff is boring me somewhat...although the brawl at the end did help.
Lemonitsa
June 29/11: Chapter 14
June 30/11: Finished
Kelly
Feb 04, 2012 Kelly rated it liked it
Third in the series, still not exciting me, I really struggled to finish this one.
Jenny
Jan 18, 2011 Jenny rated it it was ok
life is complicated so lets bring on the soap opera! r-rated. where's the adventure?
Trish
Feb 12, 2010 Trish rated it really liked it
loved it...touch of magic in the modern world
Barb in Maryland
Oct 27, 2009 Barb in Maryland rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf-f
And this is where i gave up on this series.
Lindig
Jun 13, 2009 Lindig rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
well done urban fantasy (had read before)
Brett
Shelves: scpl, fantasy
read 02.21.07
Karen Desmond
Nov 02, 2011 Karen Desmond rated it really liked it
  • Water to Burn (Nola O'Grady, #2)
  • The Barbed Rose (One Rose Trilogy, #2)
  • House of Cards (Negotiator Trilogy/Old Races Universe #2)
  • Rhiana (Changelings, #3)
  • Cry Mercy (Mercy Hollings #3)
  • Shadows of Prophecy
  • Spell Games (Marla Mason, #4)
  • In Stone's Clasp (Final Dance, #2)
  • Silver's Lure
  • Song of Unmaking
  • Second Skin (Nocturne City, #3)
  • Sorceress of Faith (The Summoning #2)
  • Sacrifice (Mortal Path, #2)
  • Spectre (Zoe Martinique #2)
By the time she was fourteen, Laura Anne Gilman knew she would be an editor, a teacher, or a writer.

By thirty, she was all three. She's a little focused that way (when not being distracted by -oooh shiny!).

After fifteen years working in NY publishing, Laura Anne became a full-time writer, with more than twenty novels under her various bylines, including the SILVER ON THE ROAD, the Nebula Award-nom
More about Laura Anne Gilman...

Retrievers (8 books)
  • Staying Dead (Retrievers, #1)
  • Curse the Dark (Retrievers, #2)
  • Overrush
  • Burning Bridges (Retrievers, #4)
  • Free Fall (Retrievers, #5)
  • Blood from Stone (Retrievers, #6)
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives