Start by marking “The Cosmic Perspective: Stars, Galaxies, and Cosmology Media Update” as Want to Read:
The Cosmic Perspective: Stars, Galaxies, and Cosmology Media Update

The Cosmic Perspective: Stars, Galaxies, and Cosmology Media Update

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  195 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The Cosmic Perspective: Stars, Galaxies, and Cosmology Media Update (Paperback)
by Jeffrey Bennett (Author), Megan Donahue (Author), Nicholas Schneider (Author), Mark Voit (Author)
No customer reviews yet. Be the first.
Addison-Wesley Educational Publishers Inc; 5th Revised edition edition (Jan 28 2009)
Published December 5th 2008 by Benjamin-Cummings Publishing Company (first published February 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Cosmic Perspective, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cosmic Perspective

Rosa
Obviously I didn't fully read this, but when you spend hours dedicated to reading something, even only large chunks of it, it feels so unfair not to include it in your book goal despite not reading it cover to cover.

Still feel like I'm cheating :(
Tom Oman
Probably the first textbook I ever sat down and read from cover to cover, and I was not even in the class!

This book will open your mind to space and the universe. It became an obsession of mine after reading this book. A wide range of topics are discussed that provide a strong base of scientific knowledge in general.

It was only upon finishing this book that the profundity of the title dawned on me; after reading the cosmic perspective, my perspective was truly cosmic.

This book gave me great plea
Anna Herlihy
A truly wonderful and comprehensive introduction to astronomy and cosmology. Great for anyone interested in the qualitative side of the universe, though there are great (separate) sections that explain the mathematics as well. This was a perfect start for a self-study course in cosmology.
ProcrastiReader
Excellent introduction to astronomy, especially for those of us who enjoy science but are liberal-arts-minded. Very comprehensive, definitely a keeper.
Serenity
May 09, 2011 Serenity rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with an academic interest in Astronomy
Shelves: non-fiction
One of THE best textbooks I have ever encountered across a wide range of subjects! Used it for an undergrad Intro to Astronomy course. One of the few textbooks I have actually read more than half of, and enjoyed! Extremely interesting content presented in a straight-forward and entertaining way. The structure of book and the way things are explained made it very easy to understand. Also, great pictures, diagrams, summaries, interesting facts, and practice problems. I could not have asked for a b ...more
Lia
I very much enjoyed my astronomy class, even though this text was a lot drier than the one for my astronomy course through BNU. But I learned so much more!

Classmates seemed to think it was a challenging course, but I enjoyed every minute. Probably because it's some of my favorite subject matter... science and especially astronomy!

I love this book because it taught me so much!
Colleen Earle
This is a superb text book. It has the perfect mix of humour and fun facts. The only thing that's missing is more awesome stories about Tycho Brahe.

I highly recommend reading the whole book, especially if it's a required text for an astronomy course.
Kate
Mar 13, 2011 Kate marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kate by: Dartmouth professor
"why scientists experience as much beauty in the exploration of the natural world as, say, artists do in expressing the essentials of humanity" Yorke Brown
M.
Wealth of information with plenty of illustrations. Worth a cover to cover read.
Blair Alexis
Very good textbook. It explains things well and its visuals are very helpful.
Koko
Read the required chapters for my astronomy course. [April 18, 2015]
Marie Dafgard
As far as textbooks go, it wasn't too bad...
Rebecca
It's a text book, I read it, it counts!
Mysteros
Mysteros marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Karl-johan Wallander
Karl-johan Wallander marked it as to-read
Jo
Jo is currently reading it
Christopher A Flores
Christopher A Flores marked it as to-read
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
  • An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics
  • Einstein's Telescope: The Hunt for Dark Matter and Dark Energy in the Universe
  • The Inflationary Universe: The Quest for a New Theory of Cosmic Origins
  • A Concise Introduction to Logic (Book & CD-ROM)
  • The View from the Center of the Universe: Discovering Our Extraordinary Place in the Cosmos
  • The Thirteen Books of the Elements, Vol. 1
  • Strange New Worlds: The Search for Alien Planets and Life Beyond Our Solar System
  • Universe
  • Conceptual Physics Package Edition
  • Astronomy Today
  • The Vanishing Face of Gaia: A Final Warning
  • Modern Physics and Ancient Faith
  • The Lonely American: Drifting Apart in the Twenty-first Century
  • The Scientific Revolution
  • New Proofs for the Existence of God: Contributions of Contemporary Physics and Philosophy
  • Geons, Black Holes, and Quantum Foam: A Life in Physics
  • Exploring Psychology, in Modules
  • Cosmic Connection: An Extraterrestrial Perspective
What Is Relativity?: An Intuitive Introduction to Einstein's Ideas, and Why They Matter The Essential Cosmic Perspective Beyond UFOs: The Search for Extraterrestrial Life and Its Astonishing Implications for Our Future Life In The Universe Math for Life: Crucial Ideas You Didn't Learn in School