To Be an Artist

To Be an Artist

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Children around the world express themselves through art, be it music, dance, visual arts, or theater. Beautiful photographs and lyrical text highlight the many ways art can bring us together.
A portion of the proceeds help support community-based projects benefiting children around the world.
Published February 1st 2004 by Charlesbridge Publishing

Hana Sm.
This book describes what it takes to be an artist but uses words simple enough for a 4th grader and older to understand. The photos on each page show young and older children from many countries: Sweden, Jamaica, France, Nigeria, United States, Eritrea, Ukraine, Mauritania, Canada, South Africa, Slovak Republic, Tanzania, Philippines, Mexico, Bhutan, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Federated States of Micronesia, Finland, Vietnam, Cambodia, India, Iraq, Pakistan, Japan, Indonesia, etc.

The book has 28 pa...more
The Styling Librarian
To Be an Artist by Maya Ajmera & John D. Ivanko, Foreward by Jacques d’Amboise founder of the National Dance Institute. Published in 2004. This is a beautiful book packed with gorgeous photographs that celebrate the wonder of creativity, using art to communicate, and being human. I love how this book celebrates art created all over the world, not just a specific art in a specific location. You’re brought to Tanzania, China, Columbia, France and the US celebrating creativity and expressing yo...more
Maria
Great photos of children from all over the world participating in the arts which includes drawing, designing, coloring, painting, making music in a variety of ways (with instruments or signing), dancing, writing, acting, weaving, stitching, and all the many ways you can express yourself. Anyone can be an artist!
Shannon
This is actually a global book, with pictures of kids from different countries exploring artistic talents. I was a little frustrated to see that the United States was represented on every single page spread, sometimes twice.
Patricia
I love photographs of people, especially, children, from around the world going about their daily routine. These photos show these children creating art: painting, making music, dancing, embroidering, weaving, acting, writing, and taking photographs. It's a very nice book. My one complaint is that there is at least one photo of US children on each page. That's too much! I would have liked to have seen more countries represented, and fewer pictures from the US! Other than that, though, it's a lov...more
Kelly
This is a nice book that shows many ways kids express themselves around the world.
(NS)Jordyn
This amazingly photographed book shows children from around the world participating in various forms of art. The pictures, placed on the pages in a scrapbook-like way, are paired with descriptions of the different ways one can be an artist. This book would be great for use in the younger grades and a beautiful addition to any classroom library--especially those with children from various cultures in the classroom. Grades K-3.
Christina
Wonderful for cross cultural images
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 20, 2013
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2013
Kim
Kim added it
Jul 03, 2013
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2013
Erica
Erica added it
Apr 02, 2013
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2012