Start by marking “One Who Walked Alone – Robert E. Howard: The Final Years” as Want to Read:
One Who Walked Alone – Robert E. Howard: The Final Years

One Who Walked Alone – Robert E. Howard: The Final Years

Robert E. Howard killed himself on June 11, 1936. He was thirty years of age. Because of his talent and because of the sheer bulk of his writing - achieved in so short a period of time - Howard has attracted a contemporary following that is devoted to his bigger-than-life characters: Conan, Kull, Solomon Kane, Breckinridge Elkins...

For the first time, information is availa
Published December 31st 1986 by Donald M. Grant, Publisher, Inc. (first published September 1986)

To ask other readers questions about One Who Walked Alone – Robert E. Howard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Who Walked Alone – Robert E. Howard

Amanda
Mar 23, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Amanda by: Jason - Robert E. Howard is his favorite author.
I really, really enjoyed this book so I had to give it five stars. In fact, I bawled my eyes out at the end, which pretty much never happens with me and books. Jason had to help calm me down at two in the morning. (Thanks, Jason:)

It's a non-fiction account of the time that Novalyne Price spent with her then boyfriend Robert E. Howard (the great sword and sorcery writer who wrote 'Conan the Barbarian' among many others). Novalyn has a great nack for keeping you in the moment and it's fascninating
TBV
Aug 01, 2011 TBV rated it really liked it
Good book, but toward the end, the author began to aggravate me. This is a nonfiction work written by Novalyne Price Ellis who befriended and dated the author Robert E. Howard (Conan the Barbarian, Solomon Kane, he is the father of the Sword and Sorcery genre). The book is taken directly from her journals (or diary as it were). She writes about the town of Cross Plains, Texas, the people in the town and her relationship with Robert E. Howard.

The thing I like most about the book is its insight in
Jason
Feb 06, 2009 Jason rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: REH fans; Writers; tragic romance enthusiasts; Texas History buffs; dreamers
Anyone who talks books and writing with me learns that I am a fan of Robert E. Howard. My brothers introduced him to me when I was young, and I read him for the first time in my early teens. Although I am not sure if I can call him my favorite author, he is probably the most influential. I think of him as a mentor.
I learned that a book had been written about him by someone who personally knew him a few years ago on the internet. Since then I have seen the movie based upon it (The Whole Wide Worl
Dan
Mar 10, 2010 Dan rated it it was amazing
Novalyne Price Ellis's remembrances of Robert E. Howard are presented as excerpts from her journals of the period. They show, bumps and flaws included, her stormy relationship with the man she knew as Bob Howard. The story that unfolds here through her eyes shows that Howard's life was at least as interesting, dramatic, and deeply moving as anything he set down on his typewriter.

This is more than just a memory of Robert E. Howard, though. Novalyne Price Ellis's life was fascinating in its own ri
Charles
Jul 18, 2008 Charles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfic-biography
A very good look at Reobert E. Howard in his last few years, and a good look at his times as well. This is the basis for the excellent movie "The Whole Wide World."
Joe Ross
Aug 09, 2012 Joe Ross rated it it was amazing
This is a wondrous, beautiful, and sometimes sad glimpse into the lives of Novalyne Price and Robert E. Howard during the Depression. Truthfully I ended up enjoying reading about Novalyne even more than I did peaking into the creator of Conan the Barbarian's private life. The glimpses of Texas in the 1930s throughout the book are fabulous, along with the recollections recorded about Novalyne's grandmother, who had memories of the American Civil War.

Highly recommended for any fan of REH, or anyo
Jessie Smith
Aug 30, 2012 Jessie Smith rated it it was amazing
Excellent complex biography written by one of the two women that Robert "Bob" E. Howard loved. His mother who died shortly after him and the author Novalyne Price Ellis. I normally do not care for biographies written according to someone's memoirs but this was exceptional to me! About three quarters of the books was used to make the movie "The Whole Wide World"
Everbright
Sep 11, 2013 Everbright rated it it was amazing
An abslutely remarkable book. Anyone interested in pop culture history should read this, it is an invaluable treasure. I am so grateful Ms Ellis kept this record and shared it with us. She has a warm heart, and she touched mine.
C
Jul 28, 2016 C rated it it was amazing
Loved the book. Lots of insights into the writer's life, the writing life- the loneliness
of being a fantasy writer in Crossplains, Texas, circa 1930. What might have been, and what
decidedly was, from probably the closest friend Howard had.
Pollyanna
Oct 29, 2007 Pollyanna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: robert-e-howard
This is my favorite view of Robert E Howard. This is a story of true yet untouchable love. It shows the tormented genius of Robert E from the viewpoint of the women he loved and the women whom turly loved him.
R.Joseph
Sep 06, 2007 R.Joseph rated it it was amazing
great book!
yassmine
Jun 24, 2007 yassmine marked it as to-read
I saw the movie, The Whole Wide World, Renee Zellweger and I want to read the book
Gary
May 29, 2009 Gary rated it really liked it
If you would like to know what Robert E. Howard was like then this is the book. A fascinating look at Howard from his one time girl friend Novalyne.
Eric Blackburn
Eric Blackburn rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2015
Darren Pruitt
Darren Pruitt rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2008
Casper
Casper rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2008
Franny Burd
Franny Burd rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2009
Michael B. Yohn
Michael B. Yohn rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2014
Richard Reid
Richard Reid rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2014
Douglas Koehne
Douglas Koehne rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2017
Erik Gold
Erik Gold rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2012
Bradley Myers
Bradley Myers rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Horror Aficionado
Horror Aficionado rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2016
Harlow
Harlow rated it really liked it
May 29, 2011
Roger Garza
Roger Garza rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2010
Vin Marr
Vin Marr rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2011
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2009
Icewatch1
Icewatch1 rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2009
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2008
  • Growing Up Jung: Coming of Age as the Son of Two Shrinks
  • Mid-Life
  • Wide Awake: A Memoir of Insomnia
  • An Improvised Life
  • Loser Goes First: My Thirty-Something Years of Dumb Luck and Minor Humiliation
  • The Journal Keeper: A Memoir