Start by marking “One Who Walked Alone – Robert E. Howard: The Final Years” as Want to Read:
One Who Walked Alone – Robert E. Howard: The Final Years

One Who Walked Alone – Robert E. Howard: The Final Years

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Robert E. Howard killed himself on June 11, 1936. He was thirty years of age. Because of his talent and because of the sheer bulk of his writing - achieved in so short a period of time - Howard has attracted a contemporary following that is devoted to his bigger-than-life characters: Conan, Kull, Solomon Kane, Breckinridge Elkins...

For the first time, information is availa
Published December 31st 1986 by Donald M. Grant, Publisher, Inc. (first published September 1986)

To ask other readers questions about One Who Walked Alone – Robert E. Howard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Who Walked Alone – Robert E. Howard

Amanda
Mar 23, 2009 Amanda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Amanda by: Jason - Robert E. Howard is his favorite author.
I really, really enjoyed this book so I had to give it five stars. In fact, I bawled my eyes out at the end, which pretty much never happens with me and books. Jason had to help calm me down at two in the morning. (Thanks, Jason:)

It's a non-fiction account of the time that Novalyne Price spent with her then boyfriend Robert E. Howard (the great sword and sorcery writer who wrote 'Conan the Barbarian' among many others). Novalyn has a great nack for keeping you in the moment and it's fascninating
TBV
Good book, but toward the end, the author began to aggravate me. This is a nonfiction work written by Novalyne Price Ellis who befriended and dated the author Robert E. Howard (Conan the Barbarian, Solomon Kane, he is the father of the Sword and Sorcery genre). The book is taken directly from her journals (or diary as it were). She writes about the town of Cross Plains, Texas, the people in the town and her relationship with Robert E. Howard.

The thing I like most about the book is its insight in
Jason
Feb 06, 2009 Jason rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: REH fans; Writers; tragic romance enthusiasts; Texas History buffs; dreamers
Anyone who talks books and writing with me learns that I am a fan of Robert E. Howard. My brothers introduced him to me when I was young, and I read him for the first time in my early teens. Although I am not sure if I can call him my favorite author, he is probably the most influential. I think of him as a mentor.
I learned that a book had been written about him by someone who personally knew him a few years ago on the internet. Since then I have seen the movie based upon it (The Whole Wide Worl
Charles
A very good look at Reobert E. Howard in his last few years, and a good look at his times as well. This is the basis for the excellent movie "The Whole Wide World."
Dan
Novalyne Price Ellis's remembrances of Robert E. Howard are presented as excerpts from her journals of the period. They show, bumps and flaws included, her stormy relationship with the man she knew as Bob Howard. The story that unfolds here through her eyes shows that Howard's life was at least as interesting, dramatic, and deeply moving as anything he set down on his typewriter.

This is more than just a memory of Robert E. Howard, though. Novalyne Price Ellis's life was fascinating in its own ri
Joe Ross
This is a wondrous, beautiful, and sometimes sad glimpse into the lives of Novalyne Price and Robert E. Howard during the Depression. Truthfully I ended up enjoying reading about Novalyne even more than I did peaking into the creator of Conan the Barbarian's private life. The glimpses of Texas in the 1930s throughout the book are fabulous, along with the recollections recorded about Novalyne's grandmother, who had memories of the American Civil War.

Highly recommended for any fan of REH, or anyo
Jessie Smith
Excellent complex biography written by one of the two women that Robert "Bob" E. Howard loved. His mother who died shortly after him and the author Novalyne Price Ellis. I normally do not care for biographies written according to someone's memoirs but this was exceptional to me! About three quarters of the books was used to make the movie "The Whole Wide World"
Everbright
An abslutely remarkable book. Anyone interested in pop culture history should read this, it is an invaluable treasure. I am so grateful Ms Ellis kept this record and shared it with us. She has a warm heart, and she touched mine.
Pollyanna
This is my favorite view of Robert E Howard. This is a story of true yet untouchable love. It shows the tormented genius of Robert E from the viewpoint of the women he loved and the women whom turly loved him.
Gary
If you would like to know what Robert E. Howard was like then this is the book. A fascinating look at Howard from his one time girl friend Novalyne.
yassmine
Jun 24, 2007 yassmine marked it as to-read
I saw the movie, The Whole Wide World, Renee Zellweger and I want to read the book
Duke
Duke marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Tutuzela
Tutuzela marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Robin Conaway
Robin Conaway marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Vincenzo Beretta
Vincenzo Beretta marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Mira
Mira marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Steve
Steve added it
Mar 22, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Jose Vidal
Jose Vidal marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Wert
Wert marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Crisndav234hotmail.com
Crisndav234hotmail.com marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Kidgreg
Kidgreg marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Zeus
Zeus marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
  • Growing Up Jung: Coming of Age as the Son of Two Shrinks
  • An Improvised Life
  • Wide Awake: A Memoir of Insomnia
  • The Jerusalem Syndrome: My Life as a Reluctant Messiah
  • Loser Goes First: My Thirty-Something Years of Dumb Luck and Minor Humiliation
  • One More Theory about Happiness: A Memoir
  • The Journal Keeper: A Memoir
  • Swimming Underground: My Years in the Warhol Factory
  • Gimme Shelter
  • Take Your Shirt Off and Cry: A Memoir of Near-Fame Experiences
  • Busted: Life Inside the Great Mortgage Meltdown
  • Could It Be Forever?: My Story
  • The House at the End of the Road: The Story of Three Generations of an Interracial Family in the American South
  • Cancer is a Bitch (or, I'd Rather Be Having a Midlife Crisis)
Day of the Stranger: Further Memories of Robert E. Howard