The Music of Life: Biology Beyond Genes

The Music of Life: Biology Beyond Genes

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The gene's eye view of life, proposed in Richard Dawkins acclaimed bestseller The Selfish Gene, sees living bodies as mere vehicles for the replication of genetic codes. But in The Music of Life, world renowned physiologist Denis Noble argues that, to truly understand life, we must look beyond the "selfish gene" to consider life on a much wider variety of levels.
Life, Nob...more
Published April 7th 2008 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Music of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Music of Life

Peter
Jan 06, 2013 Peter rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anybody interested in life science and origins
The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.
"The music of life is a symphony. It has many different movements. Some melodies find echoes in more than one, but the movements are non the less distinct."
I don't want to over sell this book but it is fantastic stuff, combining the learnedness of Carl Segan with the conversational readability of Bill Bryson. It is so well written in fact, that on closing it I immediately google-searched (note the new verb) for anything else that he has written. It...more
Theresa Truax-Gischler
Must-read integrative systems approach to human biology. Noble's book should be basic theoretical reading for anyone studying human development. Although not explicitly about child development, the book presents in clear language the basic tenets of dynamic, integrative systems concepts. This systems approach is an important antidote to the reductionist bottom-up or top-down approaches that have typified the major debates of our times -- nature versus nurture, genes versus epigenetics, structure...more
Joseph D. Walch
Like New York City or the most complex space satellite, every cell in our bodies contain tens of thousands of moving parts that serve myriad functions. On top of that, these cells organize differently in groups to form functional organs which are in turn dependant on other organs in a system that sustains intelligent life. This book is the story of the delicate yet amazingly orchestrated biological systems that form the foundation of life.

This is a very interesting book that explores the paradig...more
Juan F. Abenza
Reductionism is bad. Noble starts insisting very much in the fact that the scientific approaches are changing to became more wholistic, giving some redundant examples, and ends with a very interesting philosophical dissertation about the existence of the "self", the neo-dualism and the ways our language conditions us in our perception of the things. Worth reading it.
J Scott Shipman
Denis Noble has given us a powerful little book to frame our notion of the appropriate role of the genome in science. His approach is called an integrative systems approach and make a lot sense. Instead of the reductionist certainty plaguing the science genetics, Noble encourages a different tack. His use of metaphor and analogy is both illuminating and entertaining; I found his use of music to be the most compelling.

I purchased this book because I've been studying the application of metaphors...more
Tjibbe Wubbels
Is this book about system biology? Or is it about language or more specifically metaphors? I really enjoyed the introduction and first chapter in which Mr Noble explains his theory. After that the theory gets repeated for different `levels of life` (cell, organ etc). Luckily for the reader it is repeated using these nice metaphors that keep you reading. In the last two chapters it becomes more vague and philosophical. It`s about the self being a process rather then an object. I guess it`s the ul...more
Xin
The book has some parts on the latest research developments, but overall is not particularly informative if you have some biology background.
Ian Harrow
An enjoyable and stimulating polemic discussion about processes of life which uses music as metaphor.
Davut Guler
This nice books promtes one to remodel his look to life
Arunachalam Bharathi
A great book... a must read for any one interested in life.
Jennifer Chang
Jennifer Chang is currently reading it
Sep 20, 2014
Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Ak
Ak marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
George
George added it
Jul 04, 2014
Steven Merino
Steven Merino marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Gillian Canvin
Gillian Canvin marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Bhaswati Mukherjee
Bhaswati Mukherjee marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Fati
Fati marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Denis Noble is Emeritus Professor of Cardiovascular Physiology. He now directs the computational physiology research group. He was the first to model cardiac cells (in two papers in Nature in 1960) and has published over 350 research papers. He is one of the leaders of Systems Biology and has written the first popular book on Systems Biology, The MUSIC of LIFE (OUP, 2006).

More about Denis Noble...
The Music of Life: Biology Beyond the Genome Ionic Channels and Effect of Taurine on the Heart The Initiation Of The Heartbeat The Selected Papers of Denis Noble CBE FRS: A Journey in Physiology Towards Enlightenment Electrophysiology of Single Cardiac Cells