Start by marking “The Collected Stories” as Want to Read:
The Collected Stories

The Collected Stories

Here, too, are stories originally written for radio and television and, in a short appendix, the schoolboy pieces first published in the Swansea Grammar School Magazine. A highpoint of the collection is Thomas's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Dog, a vivid collage of memories from his Swansea childhood that combines the lyricism of his poetry with the sparkle and sly hum ...more
Published October 17th 1986 by New Directions (first published June 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collected Stories

Rupert Owen
Jan 12, 2015 Rupert Owen rated it it was amazing
Dylan’s short stories are awash with his memories of people and places, and as memories tend to be made up of the self same stuff of dreams, the characters and events drip with the excesses of the imagination. The latter collection in the book are taken from Adventures in the Skin Trade and Portrait of the Artist as a Young Dog. They are classic Thomas such as Return Journey and A Child’s Christmas in Wales. The first twenty short stories present a strange array of tales that sometimes befuddled ...more
Mellie
Nov 25, 2008 Mellie rated it it was amazing
I hadn't read any Dylan Thomas prior to this story collection, but I have to say that he has become one of my favorites. Some of his stories are a bit image-heavy and tough to muddle through, but I found that when this happened, a Manhattan or two helped clear things up a bit. :-)

My favorite stories have to be the ones in "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Dog" and "After the Fair." Though many can be quite dark, most are short enough (two or three pages) to be finished quickly.

I've also heard
Leif Erik
Sep 10, 2007 Leif Erik rated it really liked it
Shelves: welsh-lit
'A Prospect of the Sea' may well be one of the greatest short stories ever. I feel like a bit of a cheat as this isn't the collection I read but I couldn't find that one anywhere on here.
Erik Akre
Mar 14, 2016 Erik Akre rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dylan Thomas fans; readers of strange poems
Shelves: fiction-stories
What a truly strange set of stories this is. They are like dreams, and as if written straight from the mind to the page. Even one who knows little of Welsh culture may feel a strange "Welshness" about these settings and these characters. Is it "Welshness," or is it some kind of phantasmagorical parallel world of imagined reality? The stories are frightening, humorous, and bizarre. It's as if Thomas attacked the page with his pen, storming down these odd plots and odd characters into a (sometimes ...more
Amelia Davies
Jan 11, 2010 Amelia Davies rated it really liked it
"Holiday Memory" is my favorite selection. A perfect slice of late summer.
Chris
Feb 24, 2014 Chris rated it liked it
Dylan Thomas was certainly not a one trick pony. He is known as a great British poet however this collection of short stories clearly illustrates how talented and imaginative he was when it came to different styles of writing.

I picked up this book after reading, and loving, his short story ‘Extraordinary Little Cough’ in a collection of Welsh short stories.

I was very surprised by the first twenty stories due to their surreal, dreamlike nature. It is no exaggeration to say they are full of murder
Josef
Sep 10, 2015 Josef rated it really liked it
This collection starting from his early days to later is simply fantastic. Regarding those early stories and vignettes..."lurid" is an understatement. Still, it isn't only despair or pathos that shine through, but also the honesty of various unmaskings that his characters let us in on. Some of these, perhaps little too close to comfort for some readers. How someone could write with that kind of depth so relatively early in life gives me a little insight into the kind of storms and eerie calms ...more
Graham
Jan 26, 2011 Graham rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this one. Thomas is a rare poet I can get into (hell, I have a quote of his tattooed on my forearms), and so I only assumed that I'd be even more into his fiction.

This collection is divided into earlier, unpublished works and his later, better-known material. The earlier content consists of eerie, sometimes nightmarish evocations of gloom, emptiness, and death. While none are especially well-developed plot-wise, Thomas shows a strong predilection for atmosphere. The late
Paul Taylor
Jun 27, 2014 Paul Taylor rated it liked it
Thomas's subject matter and writing style made an extraordinary segue from his original, surreal stories to the painfully honest and often autobiographical vignettes of the early 20th century in West Wales with all its literary playfulness and extensive lists of smilie, adverb and adjective. Anyone brought up on a Child's Christmas in Wales and Under Milk Wood might find the earlier work hard going; like I did.
Paul
Oct 16, 2014 Paul rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As it is the centenary of Dylan Thomas's birth I thought I'd give his short stories a go. I'm not a big fan of his poetry, and unfortunately his short stories have left me a bit cold too I'm afraid.

"Who Do You Wish Was With Us?" stood out for me, but beyond that not many from this collection will last long in my memory.
Tony Torres
Dec 10, 2007 Tony Torres rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Thomas has a beautiful cadence to his prose and his descriptions are magnificently inovative. The time and a place and the people are conveyed with an emotional depth of understanding that few writers share.
Jens Peters
Jul 14, 2007 Jens Peters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great stories. I'm really into short stories at the moment, and these are among the best. Not so keen on the early obscure ones, but his childhood memories are supreme
Julianne
Sep 08, 2013 Julianne rated it really liked it
I found this book kind of hard to read. DT is very good at poetic phrases, but kind of obscure in storytelling. I found out a lot about why he is such an icon today.
David
Sep 21, 2015 David rated it did not like it
Thomas' poetry retains universal appeal, while the prose seems dated and moribund. It is so steeped in Welsh culture that I simply could not relate to it in any meaningful way.
John Lucy
Jul 18, 2011 John Lucy rated it it was amazing
Dudes and dudettes... if you want some awesome images and fantastic what-in-the-world-is-going-on stories, read these stories.
Eric
Nov 12, 2014 Eric rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Gaywads
Very intricate. And dark -- almost gothic. Another book I've owned for years and have never finished. Maybe because it requires my full attention when I read it.
Matthew
May 17, 2012 Matthew rated it it was amazing
I've already read most of these stories, being a relatively big Dylan Thomas fan, but I thought I'd buy it anyway, at least for my father's purposes.

It makes an excellent gift.
Steve
Nov 17, 2009 Steve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It appears that I am in the small minority of people who just cannot get into Dylan Thomas. I just couldn't connect with this one.
Adam
Adam rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2012
David
David rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2013
Jan
Jan rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2016
Marcus Shibaba
This isn't the book I wanted. hum.
Jesus Garcia
Jesus Garcia rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2010
Josh Rowe
Josh Rowe rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2011
David D. Endt
David D. Endt rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2011
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2008
Chris Coverdale
Chris Coverdale rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2013
Murray
Murray rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2013
Ilias G
Ilias G rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2012
  • The Riverside Milton
  • The Complete Stories of Robert Louis Stevenson: Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Nineteen Other Tales
  • The Early Stories
  • Doktor Murkes gesammeltes Schweigen und andere Satiren
  • Stories of Three Decades
  • Historical Romances
  • The Collected Stories
  • Too Far Afield
  • The Sorrows of Young Werther--Elective Affinities--Novella
  • Novels and Other Writings : The Dream Life of Balso Snell / Miss Lonelyhearts / A Cool Million / The Day of the Locust / Letters (Library of America)
  • The Complete Stories
  • We Others: New and Selected Stories
  • Collected Stories
  • The Springs of Affection
  • Electricity
  • The Collected Stories of Katherine Mansfield
  • The Stechlin
  • Professor Unrat
Dylan Marlais Thomas was a Welsh poet who wrote in English. He is regarded by many as one of the 20th century's most influential poets.

In addition to poetry, Thomas also wrote short stories and scripts for film and radio, with the latter frequently performed by Thomas himself. His public readings, particularly in America, won him great acclaim; his booming, at times ostentatious, voice with a subt
More about Dylan Thomas...