Start by marking “Who Was Pablo Picasso?” as Want to Read:
Who Was Pablo Picasso?

Who Was Pablo Picasso? (Who Was/Is...?)

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  243 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Over a long, turbulent life, Picasso continually discovered new ways of seeing the world and translating it into art. A restless genius, he went through a blue period, a rose period, and a Cubist phase. He made collages, sculptures out of everyday objects, and beautiful ceramic plates. True Kelley's engaging biography is a wonderful introduction to modern art.
Published October 29th 2009 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 2009)

Giovanna
Feb 28, 2016 Giovanna rated it it was amazing
These kinds of biography are the best biographies of all time, and especially this one! This is Pablo Picasso's biography, and back then, he was a very famous and "different" artist than any other. He wanted to be different than everyone else, and he would do different kinds of art that nobody ever thought of, at first, they thought he was crazy! But soon, the art Pablo did become very popular starting in France, where he later lived (he was Spanish), and to soon all over the world. He also marr ...more
Eryka J
Nov 25, 2014 Eryka J rated it it was amazing
He was born on October 25, 1881. He moved around a lot, from Spain to Paris. He had many friends. Paul had seven girlfriends. He had two sons and two daughters. Pablo and one of his very best friends came up with an artist called a cubist. The were both very good cubist. In Pablos years of being ages 88-91 he created 933 different kind of paintings and drawings. Pablo became friends with a sculptor and Pablo decorated the sculptures that he friend. After some time Pablo decided to make his own s ...more
Maria Hennes
Apr 13, 2015 Maria Hennes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographies

This is a biography of Pablo Picasso written by True Kelley. Students read different biographies in groups and then they retell some of th
Wade
Feb 27, 2011 Wade rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Pablo Picasso has the longest name Lily and I have ever heard: Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso. Lily likes that Picasso did artwork his own way, “he got famous even though some people didn't like his art.” We both liked that he worked eclectically in many different mediums; painting, drawing, sculpture, collage, engraving, etc. Early in his career he was so poor that he couldn't afford furniture so he pain ...more
Jeanette
Dec 26, 2014 Jeanette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
Checked out this book at our local public library for my daughter who has an obsession with drawing.. I hoped that seeing how many different ways Picasso created art would help her diversify. Instead I read this book and am amazed at how much energy and how many pieces of art this man created. To have that much energy and creativity.. Maybe I can still convince her to read it too.
Mayumi Inoko
Dec 03, 2012 Mayumi Inoko rated it really liked it
- penguin; Who Was; RL: 3.3
- Time: 12/1 = 42 minutes, 12/3 = 23 minutes
- 7 word summary; Picasso - art - genius - Spain - France - marry - war
- discussion Question
1. Have you drawn some great pictures when you were a child? (Please answer Just intuition!)
-Yes, I might have drawn a lot of pictures which must had looked like one of Picasso. Lol.
Actually, my grandmother told me such a thing, then I came to like drawing !!
2. Have you ever thought that it would be great to marry a lot in your life?
-I
Takuya Kitaura
Sep 29, 2013 Takuya Kitaura rated it really liked it
-penguin level 3.3
-Time 9/29 40min 9/30 20min
-7 word summary Picasso-Spanish-draw-war-Guernica-peace-works

-Discussion question

Picasso had talent for drawing great pictures. Moreover he had so strong wish to draw in his way.
He was not influenced by the way to drawing pictures in those days.

Q. Do you have strong will about something which you like to do?
Are you not influenced by majority?

A. I love reading books not only Japanese books, but also foreign books. I have my own way to enjoy reading! I
Kanna Shiota
Jul 25, 2013 Kanna Shiota rated it it was amazing
7/22(20min)7/23(20min)

Book report(1-55page)
7 words: drawing-sister-Paris-girlfriend-shock-friend-cubist

Discussion Question:
The way of paintings of Picasso's always change because of his life. It means if he experienced sadness he use black or blue a lot in his paintings.

Are you sensitive like Picasso? Do you have any experience you changed something with your feelings or things you experienced?

Answer: I do not want to subject my ways to my feelings. But If I had something sad or not good, my mo
Nasser
Mar 02, 2016 Nasser rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot mostly because it was written in a way that really makes taking information/ noted way easier, Another think I liked about this book is who the book talked about Pablo Picasso, I always liked art so I liked the idea of the book and the focus, Art.
Luca Gajovich-Protich
Nov 26, 2015 Luca Gajovich-Protich rated it it was amazing
I thought this was book was factual and educational.I did this book for a report in fifth grade.He is probably one of the greatest artists in history.All of you kids should read this book.Especially kids who like artists and painters.
MissyLynne
Aug 14, 2014 MissyLynne rated it liked it
Shelves: biography, ebook, artists, 2014, art
Simple, basic intro to Picasso.

Though I know of him and his art, I didn't know much about him. This book introduced me to who he was and what sort of artist her was.

Interesting man but I still dislike his "art".
Mara Ziemele
Jan 25, 2016 Mara Ziemele rated it it was amazing
Great series. In a very friendly way tells children about worlds famous people. With fun drawings,timline of his life and timline of the world in that time period:).
Agnes Budianto
Aug 26, 2015 Agnes Budianto rated it liked it
Shelves: pinjeman
I just finished reading this book and it was great. It tells about Picasso's art style and his relationship which may not turn out to be well.
Nathaniel
Aug 19, 2014 Nathaniel rated it it was ok
It was ok. He had a very interesting name. He had 20 words in his name. And he was the most famous painter during the 20th century.
Andrea Labonte
Jan 23, 2016 Andrea Labonte rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
More like a 4.5 but that is because art really doesn't interest me that much. But the book was very well written.
Janis
Mar 01, 2016 Janis rated it really liked it
Written for children, his is a simple bio from which I learned quite a bit. Engaging, enjoyable style.
Ryan
Feb 16, 2015 Ryan rated it liked it
That was the perfect amount of information on Picasso for this guy who has no appreciation for art.
Claire Hua
Jun 25, 2014 Claire Hua rated it it was amazing
Pablo Picasso was a good artist and famous. But his drawings di
Kevyn
Mar 22, 2015 Kevyn added it
A good book.
Caleb
Aug 20, 2014 Caleb rated it it was ok
It was ok
Yuka Honda
Jun 10, 2013 Yuka Honda rated it really liked it
Title-Who Was Pablo Picasso?
Time-6/8=30min,6/10=20min
7words-artist,ninety-one,two younger sister,friend,school,expect,famous
Discussion Quesion-
Q.His mother said first words were "Piz! Piz!" What do you have your nickname?
A. My parents call me "Yuka" or "Yukachan". My friends call me "Yukathin" or "Yukara".

I also know about him, but I didn't know in detail, so I was glad to know many things about him. I was surprised that by the time he was ninety-one, he painted many arts. I want to see his art.
Nicole L.
This was an excellent read that presented the life of Picasso in an easy to read way.
Amy Carr
Jan 30, 2012 Amy Carr rated it really liked it
Love this series of biographies for kids...they are written on a 3rd grade reading level and the content is appropriate for elementary age students. I love how they present the information in a way that is engaging and of high interest...great intro to the genre of biographies!
Alisha
Nov 14, 2015 Alisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Wonderful information and great format. As a Spanish teacher, I love the simple language and vocabulary that is used throughout this book.
Victoria
Mar 17, 2011 Victoria rated it really liked it
Shelves: serious
Such great information about Pablo Picasso that the Internet doesn't say. Astonishing details.
Jarynth ♛
Good biography book.
Vandy
Mar 08, 2011 Vandy rated it really liked it
biogrqaphies for gr 2 n up...
Eoin
Feb 08, 2011 Eoin rated it it was amazing
pretty good
Trisha Salib
Trisha Salib marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Lacey
Lacey marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Book Review Zayne Morton 1 2 Oct 29, 2015 02:37PM
  • Who Was Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart?
  • Who Was Ferdinand Magellan?
  • Who Was Mark Twain?
  • Who Was Sacagawea?
  • Who Was William Shakespeare?
  • Who Was Thomas Alva Edison?
  • Who Was Charles Darwin?
  • Who Was Queen Elizabeth?
  • Who Was Leonardo da Vinci?
  • Who Was Thomas Jefferson?
  • Who Was Claude Monet?
  • Who Was Marco Polo?
  • Who Was Martin Luther King, Jr.?
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • Who Was Harry Houdini?
  • Who Was Annie Oakley?
  • Who Was Eleanor Roosevelt?

Who Was/Is...? (1 - 10 of 128 books)
  • Who Was Abigail Adams?
  • Who Was Abraham Lincoln?
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Who Was Alexander Graham Bell?
  • Who Was Alexander the Great?
  • Who Was Alfred Hitchcock?
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • Who Was Andy Warhol?